• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox shows Scarlett at e3 19 even if it's holiday 2020. They teased and gave details for XB1X 1.5 years before release.

If that happens I wonder if Sony, who would be releasing PS5 at around the same time in holiday 2020, would allow Xbox to have all that press for all of 2019 until a 2020 reveal?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Considering the PS4 will be over 100 million sold by E319 and we´re entering the end years of the generation, I doubt Sony will be doing anything to hurt themselves or give ground to the competition by not having a conference.

Nov 12, 2017
Last gen repetition has a very low chance happening, do you expect Sony to screw up?
No Sony will do at best their things i.see them still having the edge worldwide but , but i also think that Ms will no fuck up on HW level and with their new services and first parties their offert will have a leap . As I said If they don't fuck up and continue on this line....i suspect their main old countries will go back to ms..north america..uk. i Just don't see any 2-1 ratio happen next gen. whats wrong with it ?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No Sony will do at best their things i.see them still having the edge worldwide but , but i also think that Ms will no fuck up on HW level and with their new services and first parties their offert will have a leap . As I said If they don't fuck up and continue on this line....i suspect their main old countries will go back to ms..north america..uk. i Just don't see any 2-1 ratio happen next gen. whats wrong with it ?
No 2:1 lead and last gen situation are completely different though.

Its Dead Jim

Jan 11, 2018
Ceti Alpha V
E3 is relevant only when Sony says lol

On the real though, very interesting move by Sony. Probably puts MS in a weird position of showing next gen or not at e3? I like it, keeps competiiom on their toes.
Actually, it kind of makes that decision easy for MS. They don't need to show Scarlett at E3 now. Unlike Sony, MS has quite a lot it can show at E3 this year.

Discless, smaller, cheaper XOne
Elite controller 2
Halo Infinite gameplay
Gears blowout Inc MP
Obsidian game.
Ninja Theory game.
BC updates
Game Pass new releases.
Cyberpunk gameplay on One X
All the multiplats
Further xCloud details

MS can sit back and wait for Sony to announce their PS5 event, and react at that stage. I think MS will be quite happy to push GP on the One into early 2020. Wouldn't surprise me if the XTwo is announced around March 2020, with a full blowout at E3, ready for release later that year.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
End game? Sounds like they are playing some 4D chess here. Nah... They will be at E3 2020 because of PS5 launch.

Sony might be back at 2020 E3 to introduce the first big wave of PS5 games. The PS5 is likely launching Fall 2019, after being introduced earlier in 2019 with some games, just like the PS4.

Sony doesn't really need E3 though.

PS4 will still sell like crazy this year, because the pricing makes it easily accessible and it has an amazing array of exclusive games.

I'm holding off on any bigger purchases myself. Let's go...new toy incoming.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
E3 is relevant only when Sony says lol

On the real though, very interesting move by Sony. Probably puts MS in a weird position of showing next gen or not at e3? I like it, keeps competiiom on their toes.

This.

Sony can make their own E3 if they want, hell they are nearing 100m in 5 years.

Sony's own PS experience will allow fans to come together together that's much better than E3 these days

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, NO.

With the games Playstatoin has for late release coming, it set's a brand precedence for Playstation being much stronger this whole gen. People will buy the system that has the games they want. ANd seeing all the High sales for First party Playstation games, I feel people have spoken. If rumors and speculation are true then we will get some cross gen first party games like Last of us possibly for PS5 paunch titles. That's huge. Sony's first party has way more brand relevance then what Microsoft has currently.

That holds a lot of weight with people buying into the new gen.
Yup, last gen to this gen showed this already. Ppl keep looking at the launches, but what set the tone for this gen started in 2010, 2011, 2012, maybe?

This gen to next isn't looking any better for MS in this context, but we'll see how the launches go.

Sony ended last gen with more momentum than MS as far as exclusives. This gen seems to be ending even more in favor of Sony.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Well those first party efforts won't be for a while in terms of the new studios. Like 4 years while. Halo, gears, forza, maybe battletoads will be what ms has to offer first party wise.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
We'll just have to agree to disagree. Perhaps it's fine that Sony is not attending, but its importance has not diminished. Just because leaks have happened does not mean it's less important.

And this: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-15-e3-attendance-highest-its-been-since-2005

Highest attendance since 2005. It's bigger than ever. Whether you realize it or not.

They had to start selling public tickets to get attendance back up.
I went this year and it was a miserable experience which that article subtly references.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sony might be back at 2020 E3 to introduce the first big wave of PS5 games. The PS5 is likely launching Fall 2019, after being introduced earlier in 2019 with some games, just like the PS4.

Sony doesn't really need E3 though.

PS4 will still sell like crazy this year, because the pricing makes it easily accessible and it has an amazing array of exclusive games.

I'm holding off on any bigger purchases myself. Let's go...new toy incoming.
"Likely"? From what we've been hearing, and from this move, it seems "extremely unlikely" is more reasonable. PS5 is early 2020 at the earliest.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2-1 ratio will happen even if Xbox somehow gets a few million ahead in US and UK, because that's not where the issue lies.

Aren't sales like 80 to 35 million? That just swings it 75 to 40 million of they tied in US and UK. There's no way Xbox will ever have the 20 million lead it had because Kinect no longer exists.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
So if a similar number goes this year I imagine it would be even worse without Sony
Definitely if other companies don't take up the expense to reserve all the room they used. Which is doubtful.
They need to make it less flashy and just have more stations to play.

Who cares about a giant haunted house when it takes half a day to play RE2 for a few mins.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Of all the companies that I expected to abandon E3 due to the increasing irrelevancy of the platform, Sony was the last one. I was thinking Microsoft would do it first.

Nov 12, 2017
2-1 ratio will happen even if Xbox somehow gets a few million ahead in US and UK, because that's not where the issue lies.

Aren't sales like 80 to 35 million? That just swings it 75 to 40 million of they tied in US and UK. There's no way Xbox will ever have the 20 million lead it had because Kinect no longer exists.
I don't want this ti evolve in console war because on My side It isnt at All.
PlayStation brand Is without any of doubt a stronger brand WW. My point is that the countries where Ms built their brand recognition are luckily for them some of the biggest market in the world ..Brazil Mexico north America Russia Australia UK...if you do some research you will understand how much weight have those on the whole cake .....if Uk and America (Central and north) go back to Ms...i suspect 2-1 ratio will not happen at all

Oct 26, 2017
PlayStation brand Is without any of doubt a stronger brand WW. My point is that the countries where Ms built their brand recognition are luckily for them some of the biggest market in the world ..Brazil Mexico north America Russia Australia UK...if you do some research you will understand how much weight have those on the whole cake .....if Uk and America (Central and north) go back to Ms...i suspect 2-1 ratio will not happen at all
2-1 was unlikely anyways due to the next Xbox unlikely to repeat the same mistakes as the Xbox One. The PS5 will likely still hold a significant lead but it won't be like what we saw this generation

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of Xbox 360's last couple of years when Microsoft had shit conferences and showed diddily dick as they fingered their buttholes over how well the Xbox was doing.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

And if it doesn't? I don't see why sony would suddenly lose their fanbase if they launch at 399 and have BC.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lots of old x360 users bought the PS4 after all the initial horrible console launch
And I have this crazy idea that most will come back to Ms next gen
To be fair many of those were playstation users that skipped ps3 because it was expensive. This gen they just came back. Why would they abandon playsation if playstation launches at 399 with BC? If its more expensive then the next xbox and plays thrid parties at worse quality sure I agree with you they will return. But if not, its not a forgone conclusion they will return to xbox. Sony would really have to piss people off at he PS5 reveal for it to happen.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Lots of old x360 users bought the PS4 after all the initial horrible console launch
And I have this crazy idea that most will come back to Ms next gen

I think if ps4/ps5 bc Ends up being real than those Former Xbox gamers a pretty good reason to continue gaming with playstation, that doesn't take into consideration than millions may not want to miss out on PlayStation first party games they enjoyed.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
And if it doesn't? I don't see why sony would suddenly lose their fanbase if they launch at 399 and have BC.

With the current health of the economy, Sony could easily launch a $499 PS5. Its a brand new platform and they are the industry leaders, so the thing is going to sell out quickly even at that price. The only reason why the PS4 Pro was designed to be priced with a cautious $399 tag was because it was just a midgen refresh. Sony wasn´t even sure if consumers would even receive the idea of a PS4.5 well.

But a true PS5? No one is going to flip out over a $499 price point.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With the current health of the economy, Sony could easily launch a $499 PS5. Its a brand new platform and they are the industry leaders, so the thing is going to sell out quickly even at that price. The only reason why the PS4 Pro was designed to be priced with a cautious $399 tag was because it was just a midgen refresh. Sony wasn´t even sure if consumers would even receive the idea of a PS4.5 well.

But a true PS5? No one is going to flip out over a $499 price point.
If xbox is 399, people will flip out.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I am ready for $499-599 if it mean more power in the long run and no need for midgen refresh.

And kudo if it also include all BC and touchscreen controller like what patents says at this price point.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
If xbox is 399, people will flip out.

That is not going to happen, the Xbox One X standard MSRP is currently $499 and Phil even said that they plan to be power focused going forward.

I believe Sony and MS are both going for powerful, premium new platforms since they expect last gen to stick around longer (thanks to the midgen upgrade consoles)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of Xbox 360's last couple of years when Microsoft had shit conferences and showed diddily dick as they fingered their buttholes over how well the Xbox was doing.

Except it's more like Sony repeating the end of PS3 with great new games than what Microsoft did by relying too heavily on third parties and the Forza/Halo/Gears/Fable rotation.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Umm, this is really weird. Not sure how this benefits Sony. All it will do is allow MS + Nintendo to have more time in the spotlight. Despite what lots of people think, E3 is still a huge showing that lots and lots of people watch.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Umm, this is really weird. Not sure how this benefits Sony. All it will do is allow MS + Nintendo to have more time in the spotlight. Despite what lots of people think, E3 is still a huge showing that lots and lots of people watch.
I agree with this. Regardless of how people try to spin it, MS and Nintendo will benefit from their absence.

I wonder why though? They must have some internal data that's leading to this cancellation.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I don't see the relation.

Sony has some big games releasing next year, continued PSVR support, and next-gen prep/hype.
You said it yourself- MS had shit outside of Kinect trashware for those last couple 360 years. Sony is looking to have a ridiculously strong swan song for the PS4, just as they did with the PS3.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

I actually kinda like that next year there will be something unexpected. I love E3 as much as the next person and always book that time off work, but at the same time being this close to the next gen, have some sort of shake-up and unexpected events sounds exciting. Can't wait to see what their plan is.

Anyways, I don't think there's any real need to worry. Sony wouldn't have taken this step without a LOT of thought being put into it first, and I'm feeling confident they'll still deliver a years worth of quality games in 2019. Depending on how many of their big titles release next year, it has the potential to rival this year!

Jun 5, 2018

Playstation is the "odd one" - the one who skips E3. Every news outlet has covered this change in direction and will pay close attention to whatever they decide to do next. Look at this thread, a few days old and already more than 3.800 comments. All eyes are on Sony, not Microsoft or Nintendo.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Who is saying they will be completely silent ??

They have more exclusives left this gen to release than their competitors so you can be sure they will have events etc all around 2019

Microsoft, most likely, I highly doubt they have more exclusives than Nintendo coming into 2019. We know about several now and Nintendo most likely have surprise games like how Let's Go, Aces, and Mario Party came out of nowhere for this year.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the relation.

Sony has some big games releasing next year, continued PSVR support, and next-gen prep/hype.
You said it yourself- MS had shit outside of Kinect trashware for those last couple 360 years. Sony is looking to have a ridiculously strong swan song for the PS4, just as they did with the PS3.

Microsoft did have some big releases and some cool stuff come out, but it wasnt at the same intensity as the years previous. That is the relation I am making. Sure PS4 has some great stuff coming out, but I think there is a strong argument that it isn't as good as years past. Now is it 360 level bad, nah, but the gap is there.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft did have some big releases and some cool stuff come out, but it wasnt at the same intensity as the years previous. That is the relation I am making. Sure PS4 has some great stuff coming out, but I think there is a strong argument that it isn't as good as years past. Now is it 360 level bad, nah, but the gap is there.

Nah, I think you're way off, Last of Us part 2 alone looks so good many doubted it's E3 gameplay was possible.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just throwing an idea out there:

What if Sony launches 2 skus with tthe PS5?
One aiming at the most power for the smallest price (bang for $), $399 with no optical disc and a 1Tb hdd.
Another sku, say ""ultra AV" or whatever, with a UHD blu ray drive, 2 Tb hdd?
What if they make both BC with PS4, but only the ultra has bc with PS1, PS2 and PS3?

I should have specified the Ultra has the same power, but is $499 due to hdd, UHD drive and extra bc.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

What if Sony launnches 2 skus with tthe PS5?
One aiming at the mostower for the smallest price, $399 with no optical disc and a 1Tb hdd.
What if they make both BC with PS4, but only the ulta has bc with PS1, PS2 and PS3?
I'd imagine PS3 backwards compatibility would be too much, even with the PS5, really. The best I expect is PS4 backwards compatibility, for both the base model and the inevitable Pro model. Even PS and PS2 backwards compatibility wouldn't be something I expect, as nice as that would be

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland

What if Sony launches 2 skus with tthe PS5?
One aiming at the most power for the smallest price, $399 with no optical disc and a 1Tb hdd.
What if they make both BC with PS4, but only the ultra has bc with PS1, PS2 and PS3?

I should have specified the Ultra has the same power, but is $499 due to hdd, UHD drive and extra bc.

I'm assuming the most we'll ever get is PS4 playback with PS5.

PS Now currently relies still on a lot of older releases from PS3. Not sure how viable that will be going further, however. A PS3 (together with 1 and 2) emulator would be something, though.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Exactly. Probably timing is the correct answer. Too early for ps5 and not enough new games and things to announce for ps4 to fill a usually superhyped show
This is the likely reason overall, BUT... I still believe some of their plans must have gone differently than planned.

They usually softly transition from one generation to the next, this no-show screams like a huge development blackout, I'd dare comparing to when Nintendo had that owful drought with WiiU early 2013 (for very different reasons though, but still) so that they are completing one last (?) wave of big PS4 projects but aren't ready to show anything PS5-related.

And that's the most worrying thing IMHO, since Sony is also used to hype the hell out of their next big thing, if necessary (Motorstorm anyone?) even with, err, target renders or things like that.