• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
This is the likely reason overall, BUT... I still believe some of their plans must have gone differently than planned.

They usually softly transition from one generation to the next, this no-show screams like a huge development blackout, I'd dare comparing to when Nintendo had that owful drought with WiiU early 2013 (for very different reasons though, but still) so that they are completing one last (?) wave of big PS4 projects but aren't ready to show anything PS5-related.

And that's the most worrying thing IMHO, since Sony is also used to hype the hell out of their next big thing, if necessary (Motorstorm anyone?) even with, err, target renders or things like that.

I think in a situation where they don't have much for PS5. They can't do no wrong with making Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 Cross Gen. It worked for Zelda. Hell I bet Microsoft will do the same with Halo. And 3rd parties have been doing it forever and same will happen with games like Cyberpunk.

In 2019
- Dreams
- Concrete Genie
- Medievil
- Death Stranding

Then launch PS5 in March 2020 with Ghost of Tsushima as a launch game and a smaller full exclusive from Sony Japan. Then Last of Us 2 as a May/June game. Then by fall they can have a full exclusive again from either Guerilla Games or a contracted 3rd party like inSomniac or Square Enix.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I should have specified the Ultra has the same power, but is $499 due to hdd, UHD drive and extra bc.
Unless they opt for SoC design, I doubt there would be any need for BC to contribute to a higher price.

A PS3 (together with 1 and 2) emulator would be something, though.
Frankly it would be insane, and it would secure their marketshare more than anything else, if it ever needed "securing".

And that's the most worrying thing IMHO, since Sony is also used to hype the hell out of their next big thing, if necessary (Motorstorm anyone?) even with, err, target renders or things like that.
Are we saying that Sony doesn't plan to hype the hell out of the PS5 in 2019? If PS5 isn't already announced, they will certainly not show games for it, whether those games are ready to show or not. It's not worrying when 2 events were big enough to hype the PS4 before launch, and 2 events can be big enough to hype the PS5 for launch. E3 is not necessarily required for the hype machine, when it's PlayStation's 25th anniversary next year and there's a lot of opportunity for them to create hype based on that fact alone.

Last edited:

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
This is the likely reason overall, BUT... I still believe some of their plans must have gone differently than planned.

They usually softly transition from one generation to the next, this no-show screams like a huge development blackout, I'd dare comparing to when Nintendo had that owful drought with WiiU early 2013 (for very different reasons though, but still) so that they are completing one last (?) wave of big PS4 projects but aren't ready to show anything PS5-related.

I think they are probably pulling a Zelda and making some or all of those late games crossgen... however that may not be needed if ps5 is BC and offers improvements for games like ps4pro or One X do. Maybe just ensure that improvements for those games are something more than just a resolution bump.
If ps5 offers that the transition will be really easy, without lack of games and benefiting from already in development titles

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Continued History of Console Warring
I agree with this. Regardless of how people try to spin it, MS and Nintendo will benefit from their absence.

I wonder why though? They must have some internal data that's leading to this cancellation.

May i ask why it's a spin? You think Sony's absence from E3 is bad, i think it's not. What's the problem? I'm really hope that Sony will laugh the last one on this. Just to rub it on your nose next year just because you said other members trying to spin Sony's absence from E3 next year.

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this. Regardless of how people try to spin it, MS and Nintendo will benefit from their absence.

I wonder why though? They must have some internal data that's leading to this cancellation.
This data could be how their E3 2018 was received compared to the previous years and knowing that a re-tread of the same kind of content and format would not benefit them enough for them to consider it worth doing the same thing again. Knowing that they have a PS5 announcement that they are looking to book in at the right time as well as juggling the marketing around the 25th anniversary of PlayStation that is very likely to happen all throughout 2019. I don't think a traditional E3 with all of these conflicting messages is going to work for them. They are both better off (and more likely to) have their own events with announcements done at their pace on their call without any kind of limitations or messaging being muddied in with all the news surrounding Xbox or Nintendo. And all eyes will be on them any time they decide to make announcements.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to skip out on just the conference, or will they just forfeit their booth space on the show floor as well?

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this would be a killer if looking back 5 years from now if this was the first turning point which changed the fate / history for Sony and possibly being the underdog next gen!

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Man, this would be a killer if looking back 5 years from now if this was the first turning point which changed the fate / history for Sony and possibly being the underdog next gen!
If you believe that Sony not showing up at E3 2019 because they plan to make announcements elsewhere, is the thing that gets people riled up to the extent that they choose to support the Xbox over the PlayStation for next-gen, and not any kind of actual egregious decisions or practices that have a directly negative impact on consumers like what happened at the start of this gen, or mistakes that Sony made back with the PS3 launch you might as well be hoping it happens. I don't see the point in entertaining such a fantasy.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Some of these hot takes remind me of how the PS4 was doomed because they didn't show the PS4 at the reveal event.
Not saying they're doomed, but this decision is several magnitudes bigger than choosing not to show the PS4 at it's reveal.

E3 is the biggest gaming event of the year. It attracts millions of eyes, and Ninty and Microsoft will no doubt welcome their presentations having to share less of the spotlight.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these hot takes remind me of how the PS4 was doomed because they didn't show the PS4 at the reveal event.
Fun times, lol.

I remember just finding GAF right before this gen started, I think following a rumor posted online that linked back to the site.

It was hard only being able to lurk and not post.

Not saying they're doomed, but this decision is several magnitudes bigger than choosing not to show the PS4 at it's reveal.

E3 is the biggest gaming event of the year. It attracts millions of eyes, and Ninty and Microsoft will no doubt welcome their presentations having to share less of the spotlight.
So, what's better:

Not being there at all.

Or being there and having a repeat, retread, lackluster show.

Sony even basically said option 2.

Last edited:

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
May i ask why it's a spin? You think Sony's absence from E3 is bad, i think it's not. What's the problem? I'm really hope that Sony will laugh the last one on this. Just to rub it on your nose next year just because you said other members trying to spin Sony's absence from E3 next year.
Rub my nose in it...Lol. I own all three consoles so I benefit either way. Don't get so defensive about a console.

This data could be how their E3 2018 was received compared to the previous years and knowing that a re-tread of the same kind of content and format would not benefit them enough for them to consider it worth doing the same thing again. Knowing that they have a PS5 announcement that they are looking to book in at the right time as well as juggling the marketing around the 25th anniversary of PlayStation that is very likely to happen all throughout 2019. I don't think a traditional E3 with all of these conflicting messages is going to work for them. They are both better off (and more likely to) have their own events with announcements done at their pace on their call without any kind of limitations or messaging being muddied in with all the news surrounding Xbox or Nintendo. And all eyes will be on them any time they decide to make announcements.
Thanks for a well thought out post. This could definitely be the case. I mean, it's Sony, they've shown that they know what to do.

The upcoming games spreadsheet only has a couple of entries in it.
That must be it.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Im not sure why them releasing a PS5 in 2020 (if thats even the case) would be reason for them not to have a presence at E3!!?......are they just abandoning the PS4 or something, as it sounds like they are. They must have games they can announce or up coming games that will be release around the time of e3 surely!?

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Rub my nose in it...Lol. I own all three consoles so I benefit either way. Don't get so defensive about a console.

Maybe i am defensive, but if you're accusing others for, so called, SPIN, just because some members ( me included ) thinks Sony's absence from next E3 isn't bad and won't damage them in any way, then how we can call your opinion saying it's really bad, hm?

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Maybe i am defensive, but if you're accusing others for, so called, SPIN, just because some members ( me included ) thinks Sony's absence from next E3 isn't bad and won't damage them in any way, then how we can call your opinion saying it's really bad, hm?
Ummmmm, you know I never said it will hurt them right? I said MS and Nintendo will benefit from their absence. Just because they benefit, doesn't mean that it will hurt Sony; the actions are decoupled.

My original post:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

I see your point, but I'm quite sure that any event Sony puts on regarding PlayStation will attract millions of eyes as well, and that will be when they actually want to reveal stuff, instead of just because of being somewhere and watched because of tradition regardless of the quality of show that they put on. If you have millions of eyes you also have a lot of mouths complaining about the same things people did last year, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they're listening, or care about the feedback they receive.

Microsoft have used their money might and splashed out on every single marketing deal along with 3rd party exclusives.....

Sony are sulking.....
This is honestly, the best hot take yet. I feel like Zhuge wasn't kidding when he said this would be fun.

That was some great foresight.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft have used their money might and splashed out on every single marketing deal along with 3rd party exclusives.....

Sony are sulking.....

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Microsoft is loving this decision. They get more of the spotlight to themselves. They even moved their last two e3s a day earlier to have some space. Expect them to go all out in 2019 guns blazing.

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Don't seem to think this is really a big deal tbh. They won't be ready to show the PS5 & PS5 games at E32019 so they're skipping it in favor of showing it off at PSX in December seems to be the likeliest scenario. Whether they continue to skip E3 after 2019 is up in the air but I actually would prefer they go the Nintendo Direct route from here on out.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
I see your point, but I'm quite sure that any event Sony puts on regarding PlayStation will attract millions of eyes as well, and that will be when they actually want to reveal stuff, instead of just because of being somewhere and watched because of tradition regardless of the quality of show that they put on. If you have millions of eyes you also have a lot of mouths complaining about the same things people did last year, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that they're listening, or care about the feedback they receive.

This is honestly, the best hot take yet. I feel like Zhuge wasn't kidding when he said this would be fun.

That was some great foresight.

Agreed. This is right up there with the crazy "Sony has transcended E3" comment. Some folks get a little crazy with this console thing.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Sony are sulking.....

Huh...lol

Microsoft is loving this decision. They get more of the spotlight to themselves. They even moved their last two e3s a day earlier to have some space. Expect them to go all out in 2019 guns blazing.

Yeah, not really doom n gloom for Sony, but it is an opportunity for MS to not share the spotlight with or be compared to Sony.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Sony can hold an event to themselves but I'm not sure if it will be bigger than e3 itself. All hardcore gamers have a built in internal calendar of when e3 will be: Early June. People schedule days off and vacations because of this. There's even threads on what people will eat and order for food during the event. E3 is huge still and I don't feel has diminish at all.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony can hold an event to themselves but I'm not sure if it will be bigger than e3 itself. All hardcore gamers have a built in internal calendar of when e3 will be: Early June. People schedule days off and vacations because of this. There's even threads on what people will eat and order for food during the event. E3 is huge still and I don't feel has diminish at all.

I believe they have what you described.. Playstation Experience is Sony's own personal event to themselves. But they didnt't have one for this year so yah

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What really throws me through a loop about this is Sony not even having a presence on the show floor. During Nintendo's awkward period after the Wii U's tanking and before the Switch's reveal, they still chose to show and demo Zelda at E3. If Sony wants to avoid the negativity that would come from a mediocre to bad E3 press conference, they could still demo TLoU2 and receive tons of positive press and YT views.

It is possible they are electing to have a big showing at Gamescom or PGW, which would have lower expectations as well as play quite positively to their European audience.

If I was to bet, I would put my money on PSX 19 being a huge event, with a blowout on the final string of PS4 games and the first reveal of the PS5. Games conference, fan event and PS Meeting all in one.

Regardless of the strategy here, I think Phil Spencer is salivating at the thought of what a mostly Playstation-free 2019 could mean for gaining mindshare before the next Xbox is revealed.

Last edited:

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Welp...this kinda sucks but I guess I dont need to be hyped about E3 this year. I hope their next psn thing is crazy good. Will be weird not watching e3 all tense and excited for new trailers.

Sign of the times.

Scissors611

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I guess I will bite.

Lets see Days Gone, Dreams,Astro Bot,Ghost of Tsushima ,Horizon Zero Down, Bloodborne, Blood and Truth,Concrete Genie,Death Stranding.

Making new Ip is not easy but they have alot of them this gen

Resistance1-3 killzone1 and 2 uncharted1-3 tlou Demons souls Dark souls 1&2 Gow 3 and ascension Mag lbp Warhawk infamous heavy rain journey beyond....

I am missing a lot of others

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I hope them missing all these shows will mean they will show up for a pure hype ps5 reveal.

Oct 28, 2017
Here's hoping it's 2020. I still have dragon quest xi, evil within 2, god of war, red dead 2, nier automata, devil May cry 5, re 2 remake, to beat. All of 2019 and most of 2020 should be enough to clear all the ps4 games I want before launch day.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Welp...this kinda sucks but I guess I dont need to be hyped about E3 this year. I hope their next psn thing is crazy good. Will be weird not watching e3 all tense and excited for new trailers.

Sign of the times.

It will be weird not to watch E3 this year.

I watch it for Sony's confidence and Assassins Creed info and having neither this year makes it not worth watching.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Honestly? This probably happened because Sony doesn't have more AAA games for the PS4.
Days Gone comes out in 2019 first semester. (Medievil as well) I could bet Dreams and The Last Of Us Part 2 come out during the 2nd semester.
A PS4 price drop coming next year as well.
2020 we'll get PS4's final 2 AAA games: Ghost Of Tsushima and Death Stranding. March/April 2020 they introduce the PS5 with a fall release.
The reason they skip E3 is because they have already introduced everything they have for this generation. Imagine two E3's in a row with the same games. They would never do that. This also means the PS5 won't have a slow start like the PS4 had since most of their studios are already preparing their next games for the next hardware.

Not sure if this was the best place for my first post, but hell why not?
I can totally see all this happening tbh.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Death Stranding is a 2019 title. Release will be revealed at TGA. Mark my words. :D

We have more information from DS than we have for TLoU2 and Tsushima combined.

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know. We still haven't seen any substantial gameplay from DS. Plus it's kojima. I doubt very much it's a 2019 game. Unless he gives us a gameplay blowout at TGA.

- a sony report listed DS under titles for FY2018 (which ends march 2019?)
- interviews reported that the pacing of the development is fast
- Kojima said they are still on track regarding the planned release date
- Kojima said the game will be out before the year Akira is set in?
- They are in polishing state and localisation is already running

Its Kojima does mean what exactly? Where does the meme come from that his games are always late? It's so wrong. MGSV:TPP came with a whole new engine and GZ in about 5 years.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
E3 without Sony is gonna be weird but I feel like all other conferences will be somewhat lowkey next year so their absence might not be drastic:

EA (The SPORTS/Fallen Order/Titanfall 3 Show)
Microsoft (I could see them going back to Mondays. I also think they are in a hell of a spot if they don't bring Halo to the show because I doubt any of their new studios have anything to show, except for maybe Playground and The Initiative. We can at least expect LOTS of 3rd party trailers and reveals.)
Bethesda (I'd be shocked if they have a show next year, unless they have Starfield ready to shown it will just be Doom, Wolfenstein games and ESO)
Devolver (Might as well finish the Trilogy)
Ubisoft (They might end up having the best show if they bring Splinter Cell and Watch Dogs 3 and maybe even another Rayman game)
PC Gaming (They're getting better, I like their low key PC games showings)
Square Enix (After this year, they better not have one unless they have FFVIIR, XVI and the Avengers game to show off)
Nintendo (Metroid and Pokemon are going to be the highlight for sure...hopefully)

I could see WB having their own conference, they have too many cards on hand (Rocksteady, MK, Harry Potter, Monolith, WB Montreal) and they haven't shown any of them.

Last edited:

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017

Its Kojima does mean what exactly? Where does the meme come from that his games are always late? It's so wrong. MGSV:TPP came with a whole new engine and GZ in about 5 years.

Guessing Kojima shows up at TGA with a release date reveal for Death Stranding, Q3 2019-Q42019?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Death Stranding is a 2019 title. Release will be revealed at TGA. Mark my words. :D

We have more information from DS than we have for TLoU2 and Tsushima combined.
Ds will be ready for fall 2019 but I can see Sony delaying it to early 2020 as they don't like to launch in holiday for a new franchise to compete with huge established games of fall.

BTW DS is already getting ready for localization (our own insiders leak )so it means it is 12 to 14 months from release

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ds will be ready for fall 2019 but I can see Sony delaying it to early 2020 as they don't like to launch in holiday for a new franchise to compete with huge established games of fall.

BTW DS is already getting ready for localization (our own insiders leak )so it means it is 12 to 14 months from release

Yeah, I realistically anticipate Q4 2019 at the moment. There is so much to speculate about. Kojima said there are still actors to be revealed and announcing a release date a TGA would make it a one year wait. How long does Sony wait at the moment from release date announcement to release?

btw game with a budget like DS is perfect for an end generation title. But the worst thing that could happen for me personally is that they release DS for PS4 and 6-12 months later again for PS5. Would like to see it directly on the new console, tbh.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, I realistically anticipate Q4 2019 at the moment. There is so much to speculate about. Kojima said there are still actors to be revealed and announcing a release date a TGA would make it a one year wait. How long does Sony wait at the moment from release date announcement to release?

btw game with a budget like DS is perfect for an end generation title. But the worst thing that could happen for me personally is that they release DS for PS4 and 6-12 months later again for PS5. Would like to see it directly on the new console, tbh.
Ds and last of us have a chance to be delayed to 2020 and launch simontinously on ps4 and ps5 . One of them is for sure simontinous release ,,,which one , I m not sure . But if I was sony I would choose last of us 2 as it has a big fan base

Let's see if DS shows a release date at tga. I doubt it

Sherlocked

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ds and last of us have a chance to be delayed to 2020 and launch simontinously on ps4 and ps5 . One of them is for sure simontinous release ,,,which one , I m not sure . But if I was sony I would choose last of us 2 as it has a big fan base

Let's see if DS shows a release date at tga. I doubt it

They were a lot more subtle with TLoU2. Only a reveal trailer and the e3 gameplay demo. Kojima has already released like 4 trailers. Think they don't want to extend that for another year with a theoretical 2020 release.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I think in a situation where they don't have much for PS5. They can't do no wrong with making Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and Last of Us 2 Cross Gen. It worked for Zelda.
It did, absolutely.
I believe it's difficult right now to predict to which extent it will push sales though, until we know more about Sony plans (for example, will PS5 offer backwards compatibility? how those alleged cross gen games will perform on the new platform? etc.)

Are we saying that Sony doesn't plan to hype the hell out of the PS5 in 2019? [...] E3 is not necessarily required for the hype machine, when it's PlayStation's 25th anniversary next year and there's a lot of opportunity for them to create hype based on that fact alone.
I have no idea.
My point is indeed that IF 2019 is going to be a year where Sony start building the hype for PS5, it would feel a bit weird to me to see them missing one of the most important (if not THE most important) event.

I think they are probably pulling a Zelda and making some or all of those late games crossgen...
See my point above.

Tobsesan

Oct 28, 2018
Honestly? This probably happened because Sony doesn't have more AAA games for the PS4.
Days Gone comes out in 2019 first semester. (Medievil as well) I could bet Dreams and The Last Of Us Part 2 come out during the 2nd semester.
A PS4 price drop coming next year as well.
2020 we'll get PS4's final 2 AAA games: Ghost Of Tsushima and Death Stranding. March/April 2020 they introduce the PS5 with a fall release.
The reason they skip E3 is because they have already introduced everything they have for this generation. Imagine two E3's in a row with the same games. They would never do that. This also means the PS5 won't have a slow start like the PS4 had since most of their studios are already preparing their next games for the next hardware.

Not sure if this was the best place for my first post, but hell why not?
I can totally see all this happening tbh.

You are correct, they already showed most of those games multiple times and it doesnt make sense to show ps5 games before they announced the console.

So you are telling me he made an entire new Studio, get used to a new engine and made his first game in 3,5 years? Not gonna happen

PSX360

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
Poland
I'd rather they miss E3 next year than show us the same games we saw at E3 2018, 2017 and even 2016. But yeah, I expect PS5 (Xbox Two as well) to be announced in the middle of next year.