• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, what they have done is the literal opposite of arrogant, people are trying to spin the meaning of a word in this thread. They were open and straight honest about this year...people want honesty until it's inconvenient.
Yep, I think a lot of people just saw Sony won't be there and just had a meltdown for some reason, most likely without reading anything else. Wasn't there someone earlier demanding Shawn Leyden be fired? Someone part of a team that pulled PlayStation back to the position its in now just because they've changed their plan for the future.

I find it so odd.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Again This is what the end of the cycle looks like

Days Gone
Dreams
MediEvil
Death Stranding
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us Part 2
Blood and Truth
Everybodys Golf VR
MLB:The Show 2019
Concrete Genie

6 Triple A games

2019, 2020 and maybe even 2021 titles? For two to three years, this list seems to be rather short right now.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
Lol, next time follow the conversation before you answer. We were refering to known PS4 titles.
My bad, either way whats wrong with 6 AAA exclusives last two years (MLb the show is great)? How many do you expect them to release? How many does Nintendo and MS release? PS4 gamers surely have nothing to complain about game wise, and there will most suredly be cross gen games for a bit,. Ps4 has more than enough.

I believe there is one more indevelopment, I thought so although could be a rumour,.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
At a minimum there are 4 AAA (6 if you count MLB19 & 20) games to be released by WWS for the PS4 before the launch of the PS5. Not to mention any 3rd party exclusives that might be in the works. So I'm really failing to understand why people are acting like the world is ending for the PS4 on here.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
This is a good point, Killzone is a fairly soft seller much like Resistance was, but the hardcore Playstation audience will buy almost any good exclusive.
That is true, I am just not a big KZ fan so I might be biased . I have faith in what GG do now though regardless.

Don't know. If Wolfenstein does then they may attract enough people that care

Maybe you are right, I was never a big KZ fan so that I am biased.

dFORCE

Dec 7, 2017
You are missing some context for Spider-Man and God of War. Those situations are much different from Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II.

God of War was confirmed for early 2018 at E3 2017. Spider-Man got a confirmation for 2018 at E3 2017 as well. God of War also had a confirmation that it was playable from start to finish in late 2016. It still didn't come out until April 2018. Now, they are different games and have different development cycles but all I'm saying is we've seen this before.

I'm not ruling out that one or both of them might come out in 2019 but we can't use precedence to predict them. I think if they were really confident in any of the 3 unknowns being a 2019 game, they would have said so.

And it seems likely to have Death Stranding and The Last of Us Part II at TGA regardless. I still doubt either one gets a release window there.
Yes, they were.. If we get another trailer of games coming out in 2019.. or a new trailer at the VGA, then we know we don't need another conference for them to announce the release date of these titles. This means Sony could easily just say these games will come out in 2018 and followed by an announcement trailer months later.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I think a lot of people just saw Sony won't be there and just had a meltdown for some reason, most likely without reading anything else. Wasn't there someone earlier demanding Shawn Leyden be fired? Someone part of a team that pulled PlayStation back to the position its in now just because they've changed their plan for the future.

I find it so odd.

"PlayStation fans mean the world to us, and we always want to innovate, think differently, and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019."

"We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can't wait to share our plans with you,"

Agreed. Does the last paragraph of the statement above say that Sony won't be holding any event or presser in 2019 whatsoever? No it doesn't.

So why is everyone freaking out? I respect them for not wasting our time showing the same games again, even the ones that might release in 2019. Their conference this year was weird and lackluster, interesting but nothing truly awesome, except TLOU 2. This is all much a do about nothing.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If PS5 would be announced before E3 and released in November 2019, wouldn't it be dumb to skip E3 entirely? Sounds like a late 2020 release for PS5 to me.
Depends if they have a big PS event just before or after E3, as it then becomes redundant for Sony, as it makes then more sense to invest in a big showcase entirely dedicated to PS.

If the leaks are true and the PS5 will be announced early (Q1) 2019, there is no way it is for a fall 2020 launch.

Last edited:

retrocore9

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Anyway, this is in no way "good news". Not having anything to show your community at psx or E3 is just ridiculous. This is why they plan these things ahead. So you can get ready to be able to show things. Id rather have a bad or average showing than none at all. But show the fuck up for your fans.

I agree completely. As a PS 4 owner it shows they are not devoting any more resources for future big game development to that console in a significant way to have an E3 showing.

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does this impact Square Enix? This makes me think FFVII remake will come out even later and FF XVI when I'm on my death bed. They couldn't figure out HD towns early on...and now a new system on the horizon...

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
They were set for this gen the moment MS fucked up and Sony countered with a simple "you can play used games". People forget how bad the first 1.5-2 years of PS4 were though because they weren't prepared well enough and their main studios took over 5 years to put out most of their games. Like I said when the schedules line up that they have enough to show things are great but then those teams disappear for another 3-5 years. They need more studios or teams to fill in the gaps even if it's smaller games like the last Ratchet and Clank.

Honestly this is probably where their VR focus hurts them. They spend so many resources on that that they probably can't or don't want to spend even more on regular gaming than they do.

This is the most "uneducated" post, I've read in a while one era!

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
From what I've observed, when some here says, 'Sony has no games to show', they mean they have no new or surprising games currently plan. Everything is a known, so E3 would be like E3 this year except no Spider-Man.

Feb 8, 2018
Depends if they have a big PS event just before or after E3, as it then becomes redundant for Sony, as it makes then more sense to invest in a big showcase entirely dedicated to PS.

If the leaks are true and the PS5 will be announced early (Q1) 2019, there is no way it is for a fall 2020 launch.

minus a potential delay. My estimation still is Q3 2020

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Damn I am late on this, WTF at no appearance there.

Maybe they are gonna go the Nintendo Direct route???

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Off calendar introduction for the PS5.

Launching Fall 2019....saving all my hardware purchases until it launches. Explains the Pro price drop for the Holidays, I expect it to be remain.

My guess.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
He is right though...people are posting without any context or logic, this thread is pretty embarassing. You said yourself "Reactions would be different if MS did this"...not only is that ignoring all the over the top, said Doom and gloom alll over this thread (Some are asking for Layden to get canned", MS will dominate next gen, Arrogant sony, etc)....:::;... it is also logical.

PS and XBOX are NOT on equal footing, Xbox is not in a position to do this, Playstation has the luxury as they are so far ahead in software and sales they are already set for the next 18 months with 5 AAA games coming (6 but everyone ignores MLB lol),. They will come out with their PS5 projects during the PS5 reveal... MS has been getting heat all Gen about first party exclusives, they are getting outsold 2:1...their were even questions of the brands survival so they had to mention scarlett last e3.... Of course reactions would be different, asthey should be, as each companies situation is night and day.

Sony is doing this because it is how their release schedule lines up regards to gearing up for PS5, and it's clear PS5 games are not ready to show yet.. Also, i'd rather devs not have to work on preparing for a conference, it is a total waste. It's 2018...there are better ways to reach an audience.

Context is totally lost in most posts in this thread.

I appreciate the well thought out reply.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I have not read very much of this thread, and while yes I do believe this comes off as arrogant for Sony, I also believe whatever they do will be successful. Youre right that Microsoft does not have the same luxury, though I also think certain fans on this website has a tendency of being hypocritical. I do not think Microsoft will dominate next gen(I do think Microsoft will be more competitive, though that has little to do with E3), and I do not think Layden should be canned. Those of course are over-reactions.

I do see both sides of the arguments. In reality, Sony does not need E3, and really any company could just do their own events if they wanted to. E3 is still a huge event, and I know people who will watch E3, and not events like Nintendo Direct, Inside Xbox, or PSX. Every year my friends and I all watch E3 together, and some years VGA as well, but we dont do the same with other events. Again though, I do think whatever Sony does do next year it will be successful though. i keep repeating that because I know how people can take things the wrong way, and I genuinely do believe Sony will have a big event showing next generation games, and of course PS5.

In short, do I like that theyre skipping E3? No, and yes I do believe they have stuff they could show. Does it mean Sony is doomed? Of course not. As long as Sony makes great games, and has good hardware they will continue to be successful. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

FallenGrace I didnt want to quote you, but fair enough, I understand :)

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Sony can't match the hype every year

Same goes for MS and Nintendo already broke away with the Direct route

Let E3 be Third Party showcases.

I mean sooner or later things in the pipeline aren't ready and I think the industry in learning to stop showing games way far too off in the distance to play

If rather Sony and MS refocus, take a break from E3

The gaming news cycle is 24/7, not the old days of showcase that needs to be brought to the public at large to get hype and inform them

usually now we have year round reveals. Hell most of the time rumors just spill out of control

let's see how it goes. I'm guessing they know what they're doing

do we really need to see TLoU 2, DS, GoT sneak peaks?
They've been around now what 3 e3s...

If they show them, some will say same ole shit, but I'm guessing they're not ready to announce newer titles that might be next gen console based and then that drowns out these games
Shit some in Era would be going, I'll pass on TLoU2 on ps4 and grab PS5 definitive edition...
I don't think it's about hype but ROI. The internet changed the game here.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
I appreciate the well thought out reply.

I agree with a lot of what you say. I have not read very much of this thread, and while yes I do believe this comes off as arrogant for Sony, I also believe whatever they do will be successful. Youre right that Microsoft does not have the same luxury, though I also think certain fans on this website has a tendency of being hypocritical. I do not think Microsoft will dominate next gen(I do think Microsoft will be more competitive, though that has little to do with E3), and I do not think Layden should be canned. Those of course are over-reactions.

I do see both sides of the arguments. In reality, Sony does not need E3, and really any company could just do their own events if they wanted to. E3 is still a huge event, and I know people who will watch E3, and not events like Nintendo Direct, Inside Xbox, or PSX. Every year my friends and I all watch E3 together, and some years VGA as well, but we dont do the same with other events. Again though, I do think whatever Sony does do next year it will be successful though. i keep repeating that because I know how people can take things the wrong way, and I genuinely do believe Sony will have a big event showing next generation games, and of course PS5.

In short, do I like that theyre skipping E3? No, and yes I do believe they have stuff they could show. Does it mean Sony is doomed? Of course not. As long as Sony makes great games, and has good hardware they will continue to be successful. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

FallenGrace I didnt want to quote you, but fair enough, I understand :)
Same to you man, I understand what you are saying. I do not like that they won't be there, for selfish reasons, but I see why it makes perfect sense for them, right now, it doesn't make sense with xbox right now.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Off calendar introduction for the PS5.

Launching Fall 2019....saving all my hardware purchases until it launches. Explains the Pro price drop for the Holidays, I expect it to be remain.

My guess.

Nah fam! Unless Sony plans on popping up with a conference somewhere between now and PSX December 2019, plan on a holiday 2020 release. No way Sony is mass producing a new console for next year and not saying a word about it.

And without any leaks. Would be impossible.

Jun 5, 2018
Nah fam! Unless Sony plans on popping up with a conference somewhere between now and PSX December 2019, plan on a holiday 2020 release. No way Sony is mass producing a new console for next year and not saying a word about it.

And without any leaks. Would be impossible.
Sony will definitely have a press conference before E3 2019 - Sony still needs to promote their upcoming titles after all.

EDIT*

And Sony won't go 13, let alone 18, months, without a press conference in North America.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wish we would get the PS5 sooner than later, but it's looking more and more like 2020 for me. We have the "news" from Kotaku, they won't be at E3 that would be a potential date for a showing. We will have to wait and see.

What are the arguments for #team2020?

According to Jason Schreier of Kotaku devs say it's probably going to be 2020.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
With the way PS4 is performing right now, there is no way that Sony will announce PS5 leading in to the holiday season 2019, only to release it the year after. It doesn't make any sense, it would hurt its holiday sales.

I'm certain PS4 will be announced before E3 and released November 2019.

May: Playstation Experience - an E3 level type of press conference.
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part I
    • Specs.
    • Services.
    • Backwards Compatibility.
      • God of War (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Spider-Man (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Horizon Zero Dawn (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Days Gone (4k & 60FPS on PS5).
      • Bloodborne (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
        Etc.
  • The Last of Us - Part II (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Dreams (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Ghost of Tsushima (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Concrete Genie (Out now and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Death Stranding (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • MediEvil (Release date and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 (4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Destiny 3 (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5).
  • Harry Potter (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60FPS on PS5)
  • Call of Duty (Annoucement trailer and 4K & 60 FPS on PS5).
  • Ratchet and Clank sequel (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5).
  • Demon's Souls remake (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Studio Japan game (Annoucement trailer - only on PS5)
  • Full Playstation 5 blow out - Part II
    • Dualshock 5
    • PS5 design
    • Price
  • Horzion Zero Dawn sequel (Teaser trailer - only on PS5)

June: E3. Playstation will still have a huge presence, at least mind share wise, as everyone wants to know if the newly announced 3rd party games will run on PS5 - which of course they will.
I don't see how #team2019 still exist. Til the bitter end huh? There's no way Sony misses rubbing elbows with the biggest names in games media by skipping e3 but launching a few months after it. It's 2020

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I dont want to hear it. Its the fact, like you just demonstrated trying to spin it. Yall love E3 and all the sudden its a good move. And its not like they'll still have a direct and floor presence like Nintendo they're skipping it entirely.

Well, it sucks for people who like watching and debating E3 online.
But from a business and marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense and will certainly not hurt Sony and its also not reflecting arrogance, which, in the context of a multibillion dollar business, is a ridiculous concept anyway.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
That.... is actually a really good point. Up until this point I've been #team2019 but you're right, there's no way they're missing E3 the year they launch a new console.

or they will just rent out an entire hotel, invite all the gaming media to come out and test out the new console for few days. Just like they did just before the ps4 launch.

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the "OK" conference and presentation this year, I guess it's shouldn't be a surprise.
And yet, it still is.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Rofl I didn't know not showing up to e3 is considered arrogant...i.mean how on earth is that being arrogant...

I'd hate to see what people would say about Sony if they weren't pumping out the best exclusives every year. Even this year you have GOW, Detroit and Spiderman. And then coming next year and the year after exclusives like Death Stranding, TLOU2, Ghost of Tsutshima, FF7R, Dreams and Days Gone. Sure seems arrogant to me. If anything turning up to e3 with nothing new to announce would be arrogant imo.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
That.... is actually a really good point. Up until this point I've been #team2019 but you're right, there's no way they're missing E3 the year they launch a new console.

If it's launching first half of 2020 they'll probably reveal it at PSX December 2019. If it's second half of 2020 they'll probably do the full reveal in February or March 2020 with a teaser at PSX 2019.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
This is a really bad move on Sony's part. Even with no new 1P games to announce there's lots of good things they can show at E3, even if it's mostly small and 3P games. Give something like Judge Eyes an extended trailer with lots of people seeing it for the first time and it could really make a difference in how it sells.

If this was Microsoft doing the same thing the response would be completely different.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
69 pages later and team 2019 is still lingering around......

giphy.gif

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I know. all i'm saying if they want to announce the ps5 next year and release it the same year or early 2020, they don't need E3 to generate media buzz.
They already stated they're not doing a Press Conference either as part of E3 OR offsite. It's not happening.

And yes, IF they wanted to they could, but they very clearly do not want to, because the PS5 is not coming out next year. Announced late next year? Probably, though I'm guessing it will depend on what Microsoft does with their announcement plans. I could see Sony with a sliding announcement range starting with teasers at Paris Games Week, all the way up to a full reveal in Feb/March 2020 to mirror the current gen announce/release cycle.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
So the next time we see a game from Sony in a Press Conference will be for PS5 in 2020?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
At first I was hella disappointed, but this just confirms the sad but impending fact that what we know of now is pretty much all Sony has to offer this gen. It's a shame too, because 2016-2018 were stellar freaking years. 2019 sounds like it could be okay (especially if 1 or 2 of the GoT/DS/TLOU trio release), but I was still hoping for a bit more.