• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
The only mistake Sony made was blowing their load too early in showing still in development games to "win" E3. Otherwise, they wouldn't have cancelled E3 2019. But the no booth thing is weird, they still could've shown off the games they announced imo

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only mistake Sony made was blowing their load too early in showing still in development games to "win" E3. Otherwise, they wouldn't have cancelled E3 2019. But the no booth thing is weird, they still could've shown off the games they announced imo

This is the weird part. Nintendo, for instance, has presence at the actual place, even if they don't any conferences outside of their E3 Direct stuff. So the fact that Sony won't even have a booth to show off stuff is really, really... strange.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
69 pages later and team 2019 is still lingering around......

giphy.gif
ha you're wrong. it's only been 35 pages

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

that's what you do at E3, companies that havent done that have gotten slammed. that is why its a good move, among other reasons, why they arent going next year. Dont show up to something your making people waste their time over getting seats, tickets, ect

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Console Wars
Must admit, and I don't want this to delve into any kind of console war, but the difference in reaction when Nintendo announced in 2016 that they would only showcase Zelda at E3 (while still having a huge booth) versus Sony announcing that they won't have any kind of presence at all at E3 2019 both conference and booth-wise is rather... fascinating to say the least lol.

May 18, 2018
Must admit, and I don't want this to delve into any kind of console war, but the difference in reaction when Nintendo announced in 2016 that they would only showcase Zelda at E3 (while still having a huge booth) versus Sony announcing that they won't have any kind of presence at all at E3 2019 both conference and booth-wise is rather... fascinating to say the least lol.

Aye lol! I remember thinking how cheap bastards Nintendo was lol! Now, with Sony, I'm thinking... hmmm, I wonder what they're up to? Oops, sorry!

Bradwaung

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Console warring. Junior account.
This goes to show how much games are just like politics: since most people on this site are affiliated to the Sony party, they'll blindly justify anything their party leader/president says. it's absolutely crazy.
If this was Nintendo or Microsoft, I can assure you the general tone would be entirely different.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
At first I was hella disappointed, but this just confirms the sad but impending fact that what we know of now is pretty much all Sony has to offer this gen. It's a shame too, because 2016-2018 were stellar freaking years. 2019 sounds like it could be okay (especially if 1 or 2 of the GoT/DS/TLOU trio release), but I was still hoping for a bit more.
There are still going to be great third party games plus what they already have announced. I'd actually rather they concentrate on PS5 to have a great launch window at this point myself.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever

What is with the persecution complex among Nintendo fans (and fanboys in general) on this site

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Knack 3 on ps5 seems to be consuming all the company's ressources, i expect cancellations for their TV, phone and movie business for it to be completed.

Prepare to be blown

PowerBar

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, it sucks for people who like watching and debating E3 online.
But from a business and marketing perspective it makes a lot of sense and will certainly not hurt Sony and its also not reflecting arrogance, which, in the context of a multibillion dollar business, is a ridiculous concept anyway.

Could you please explain why this makes sense from a marketing perspective? I think E3 is part of why ps4 is such a success. It was definitely not their own reveal event.
To me it seems that you reach a far greater audience at E3 than at your own events which are targeted towards your core audience. I think E3 is where you get to turnover xbox and nintendo fans to PS.

Feb 26, 2018
Do you actually believe that Sony in 2019 is the same as Nintendo in 2016?

Oct 27, 2017
What is with the persecution complex among Nintendo fans (and fanboys in general) on this site

Not a persecution, it's real.

I say this as a guy who likes Sony more than Microsoft and Nintendo, but you can't deny the times MS and Nintendo announced they were skipping E3 in a way or another there has been way more doom and gloom than now. I mean, there is also people completely dismissing E3 as irrilevant, while it isn't, at all.

I can understand people being less worried because Sony still has games to release and more announced, but completely dismissing every criticism and some doubts coming from other people is wrong.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

Different context. It's not like MS where they have gotten flack for their first party line up. Or Nintendo where they came off a struggling Wii U. It's not a console war thing, it's just considering context.

Feb 26, 2018

I say this as a guy who likes Sony more than Microsoft and Nintendo, but you can't deny the times MS and Nintendo announced they were skipping E3 in a way or another there has been way more doom and gloom than now. I mean, there is also people completely dismissing E3 as irrilevant, while it isn't, at all.

I can understand people being less worried because Sony still has games to release and more announced, but completely dismissing every criticism and some doubts coming from other people is wrong.

You answered your own concern

Deleted member 24417

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This is the same behaviour that Nintendo fanboys have when someone tries to doubt Nintendo and its world but, strange thing, only Sony users take the blame.
There are rotten apples in every fandom but some fandoms love to play the role of victim more than others...

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the same behaviour that Nintendo fanboys have when someone tries to doubt Nintendo and its world but, strange thing, only Sony users take the blame.
There are rotten apples in every fandom but some fandoms love to play the role of victim more than others...

I mean I was a bit baffled to say the least at how really quite benign criticism of the box art of Days Gone was resulting in several users here being quite... offended and taking it so personally. And that's just one example I noticed just over the last week.

So yeah whilst I think LK is missing some context I do disagree with the bolded here and I can definitely see where they're coming from, it's an interesting observation if nothing else.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you actually believe that Sony in 2019 is the same as Nintendo in 2016?

Different context. It's not like MS where they have gotten flack for their first party line up. Or Nintendo where they came off a struggling Wii U. It's not a console war thing, it's just considering context.

I'd argue that at best the fact that they're coming from a successful year allows to be less skeptical and down from them skipping E3 after having skipped PSX and coming off an E3 that was relatively seen as underwhelming (although I was personally fine with it). Still, doesn't really explain how people can brush off so easily the announcement that they don't have 1st party PS4 games to announce anymore and that they'll entirely miss one of the most important time of the year for the industry. Even seen arguments that it's actually a good and bold move. Just interesting to see the complete opposite reaction to what was seen with different publishers in the past.

Jun 5, 2018
I don't see how #team2019 still exist. Til the bitter end huh? There's no way Sony misses rubbing elbows with the biggest names in games media by skipping e3 but launching a few months after it. It's 2020

You are way to hung up on the past - E3 isn't the end all be all, and it hasn't been for a while. During this generation Playstation, as a brand, has transcended an no longer need E3 - much like Blizzard, Rockstar etc.

I suspect one of the reasons Sony decided to cancel PSX 2018, was to move it away from The Game Awards and into the Spring 2019 - a month or a few weeks before E3, which would render their presence at E3 useless. Also, do you honestly believe Sony will go 12-18 months without a press conference in North America?

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Could you please explain why this makes sense from a marketing perspective? I think E3 is part of why ps4 is such a success. It was definitely not their own reveal event.
To me it seems that you reach a far greater audience at E3 than at your own events which are targeted towards your core audience. I think E3 is where you get to turnover xbox and nintendo fans to PS.

I dont think Sony sees much marketing value in showing the last of us 2, death stranding and ghost of tsushima again.

And they dont want to show Ps5 stuff yet.

So what do you want them to do at E3?

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Sony just don't have enough to show in 2019. But that's not a criticism in itself They have enough already slated for 2019 (Dreams /Ghosts of Tsushima/Days Gone/Last of Us 2....cant see Death Stranding next year), plus that cool looking graffiti game (?) that, if another publisher had that line up in any given year, it'd be considered a success.

They are holding some stuff back for the PS5 now.

I'm really excited for next gen The exclusives of Sony mean I'm likely to be in. But MS have done enough too to make me realise I'm buying both next gen. More games for me, more jobs for them!

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
It's only interesting concerning opposite reactions if it's the exact same people making hypocritical comments about similar situations because their favourite company is involved. And even then the only interest would be from people that want to use them in crow mega posts or to use as a gotcha moment in an inevitable later argument about the same old things.

Hopefully most see that every thread goes the same way eventually. There's not more or less of one particular set of fans here, that's a lazy throwback to Neogaf, it just depends on what thread you're in at that time. If it's good news you'll have some saying it isn't while others keep replying to them to say it is. If it's bad news you'll have some bending over backwards to stick up for it while others keep replying to say what they think is wrong. And in both you'll see the usual suspects battling back and forth in between all that like jilted lovers.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
This is a really bad move on Sony's part. Even with no new 1P games to announce there's lots of good things they can show at E3, even if it's mostly small and 3P games.

At this stage in the generation I can't imagine many 1st or 3rd party developers are willing to dedicate the resources to build a crowd pleasing E3 stage demo.

Pretty massive risk actually when you consider how it could cause a game to slip to next gen and miss out on the PS4's large install base.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is a bummer. Sony has always been the reason I was looking foward to E3. I hope Ubisoft and MS will deliver at least.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That is a bummer. Sony has always been the reason I was looking foward to E3. I hope Ubisoft and MS will deliver at least.
MS are sure to be busting out some of the fruits of their news teams, projects for 2019 and also next-gen plans. They won't leave the chance to have an E3 to themselves but not talking up everything they have planned.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only one this is bad for is E3 itself. And maybe gamers. Sony is big enough to do this.

It might be bad for (smaller) Japanese third parties/releases too. Sony's E3 was really the best way for those games to get attention and that's an opportunity they won't have in 2019. Those publishers/developers are also the least likely to on PS5 day one.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
People, you need to realize the difference between "Sony skipping E3 because they don't have games to announce" and "Sony skipping E3 because they can't announce what they have".

Obviously the "can't" part is because of the PS5, you can't reveal games to a console not officially announced yet.

"But what about PS4?" Well, PS4 is already set for the next two years, posters here posted the 1st party games multiple times and I don't need to list them again. Spread well through the next two I say they are more than enough exclusive wise. Now games wise as also including 3rd party stuff, boy oh boy you are set for 3 years not just the next two. The 1st half of 2019 alone could be the busiest half releases wise that we had in a while (KH3, RE2, AC7, Sekiro,Anthem, Metro...etc).

This is what some here fail to comprehend, this is not the Nintendo/Breath of the Wild E3 2016 situation. Sony doesn't have a console struggling with sales and releases. This a strategic move on Sony's part.

Now you can be disappointing for the no show, that's fine, I'm disappointed too. E3 is as they say the Christmas of video-games. But knowing the circumstances I can swallow Sony skipping this one.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if the two situations are very different. Nintendo were at maybe their lowest low, had a new system everyone knew was coming on the way, had next to nothing except Zelda lined up for the WiiU, waited till E3 was 6 weeks away before announcing their plans and were the first major first party to skip it. While Sony's at their highest high, will probably be 18 months from the PS5 launch by the time E3 happens, have a very strong lineup of PS4 games still to come and announced their plans 7 months in advance.

The first one to do it was always going to get the most heat but everything else contributed. People were extremely disappointed the NX wasn't going to be announced at E3.

Also, the vast majority of fans don't care about the booths, they just want cool conferences.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think that even 2021 was more likely for a PS5 than 2019 was. Development times have skyrocketed this gen. Having this generation last only 5-6 years is simply not enough and the jump in the tech would not be as big to justify it.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I was on team 2019 but not anymore.

And could Microsoft uses next E3 to present it's next Xbox? I mean they lost this generation so even if they release it in 2020 they can afford to lose some XB1 sales to gain attention.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017

And could Microsoft uses next E3 to present it's next Xbox? I mean they lost this generation so even if they release it in 2020 they can afford to lose some XB1 sales to gain attention.
I think Microsoft is gonna avoid going first as much as possible after what happened last time

Feb 26, 2018
I'd argue that at best the fact that they're coming from a successful year allows to be less skeptical and down from them skipping E3 after having skipped PSX and coming off an E3 that was relatively seen as underwhelming (although I was personally fine with it). Still, doesn't really explain how people can brush off so easily the announcement that they don't have 1st party PS4 games to announce anymore and that they'll entirely miss one of the most important time of the year for the industry. Even seen arguments that it's actually a good and bold move. Just interesting to see the complete opposite reaction to what was seen with different publishers in the past.
They don't have things to announce for ps4 because they already announced everything. It's on Sony ofc but don't act like they have no games to actually release. That's only thing that matters
Skipping e3 is a bold move, but with Sony position right now it can work out for them. Other companies don't have this kind of power right now.
But I'm not saying that it won't backfire on them. Only time will tell

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017

That's the interesting part to me. There was a post earlier that said it better but MS has been talking up the Xbone X as this powerhouse. And then come E3 they'll shift focus on Scarlet or the whatever the next Xbox is called? If so, doesn't seem like enough breathing room.

I'm curious to see how they balance the messaging for the One X and the next generation Xbox. I could see that being troublesome if they aren't precise with the messaging.

How do you talk about next gen without undermining the one X?

Last edited:

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't have games (megatons new stuff) to show for the last two years and people were disappointed. I can see why they did that.

E3, Gamescom, TGS and other stuff won't work when it takes 3 years to release games.

Cut it down to one.

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It might be bad for (smaller) Japanese third parties/releases too. Sony's E3 was really the best way for those games to get attention and that's an opportunity they won't have in 2019. Those publishers/developers are also the least likely to on PS5 day one.

You have TGS or PSX for that. When was the last time when Sony showed smaller japanese games at E3?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is true. Good point.

They had a good chat about it on yesterday's Kinda Funny Games Daily and Andrea Rene brought up some great points about why it might be bad idea.

You have TGS or PSX for that. When was the last time when Sony showed smaller japanese games at E3?

Sony didn't have a PSX this year either and TGS is a Japanese event. That doesn't help companies on global stage.

I'd argue Monster Hunter World last year was the last time, the franchise was already big but not outside of Japan and having the reveal during Sony's E3 was massive.

It's not just about the conference either, Sony isn't going to have any presence whatsoever, which means no pre-show, streams or booth.

Jssom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Other things I'd like point:

*Sony definitely can still have a E3 show even if they don't have a single new game to announce, excluding Days Gone and maybe Concrete Genie and Dreams as the might be released before E3, I don't think players would mind seeing more of their 1st party offering. We saw only one gameplay demo of Last of Us II so another demo with different setting can be a good showing. Death Stranding, no cinematic gameplay trailer this time, just a good 10-15 minutes gameplay demo, maybe with a boss fight ending. Ghost of Tsushima this time you use a gameplay cinematic trailer. Gameplay reveal of Nioh 2 (not 1st party but exclusive) ...etc. You see what I'm trying to say, they can still mix it up with what they have shown before.

Also they can pull a MicroSoft with 3rd party reveals as in buy the rights to reveal the games on their stage just like MS did E3 this year with games like Sekiro, DMC5, Jumb Force...etc. I mean MS didn't even have an exclusive marketing deals with some of these games, they just bought them being revealed on their stage first and MS was well received for it!

*I highly doubt there are no more PS4 1st party games other than what was announced. Surly they have at least a couple small ones, and I highly speculate there are unannounced AAA games that are cross gen but they don't want to announce them as PS4 games that can be played on PS5. They want them to be perceived as PS5 games that can be played on your PS4 console.

*There is mismanagement of Sony's conferences I have a strong opinion about that and I think a lot of Sony fans share that opinion. Sony have the goods but they mismanage the way they present them, E3 this year showed us that, the flute guy and intermission and other nonsense. The games that other publishers would love to have to showcase them, Sony executives didn't see the value. I mean in a hindsight look at Astro bot, high metascore and GOTY contender, shouldn't a game like that be one of the highlights of your conference? Dragon Quest 11, Tetris effect, Beat Saber and other more got the same treatment. Sony should really get better people who can manage their conferences.

That's all I have for now.