• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I was just joking but TLoU realtime inventory management and crafting has already done most of the heavy lifting required for that type of game. I don't want a BR game though. I'd like the traditional factions, but also a PvPE mode centered on survival and resource gathering (like a reimagined fleshed out version of the meta game) that has some similarity with BR gameplay but does it differently.
yea BR is just an example, but I like this P v P v E dynamic and I think that if its utilized and balanced right it could serve for an awesome multiplayer game with a lot of interesting choices to make.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe one of you guys can help me with some headset advice. I had some trouble with wireless headsets on PS4 (pro) where the audio would cut out every minute or so. After a deep dive I read that some PS4s have this issue due to the CPU overloading and causing audio dropouts. The advice was to get a headset with a DAC which does the audio processing externally. Now I'm looking at the arctis pro wireless, but it's quite the investment. I guess my question is if anyone has experience with this issue (or the arctis headset) and more importantly: what are the chances ps5 will not support this headset. Thx!

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls though

Also the last major AAA Sony has announced was Ghost back in 2017. If they have no big game at launch something is wrong

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe one of you guys can help me with some headset advice. I had some trouble with wireless headsets on PS4 (pro) where the audio would cut out every minute or so. After a deep dive I read that some PS4s have this issue due to the CPU overloading and causing audio dropouts. The advice was to get a headset with a DAC which does the audio processing externally. Now I'm looking at the arctis pro wireless, but it's quite the investment. I guess my question is if anyone has experience with this issue (or the arctis headset) and more importantly: what are the chances ps5 will not support this headset. Thx!

From my experience the USB ports go bad after awhile on the ps4. My headset used to cut out and switching the USB port fixed it. If I use an external on the same port barely touching the wire would cause it to disconnect. Might want to give it a shot, of course there could be other things going on but that's what did it for me.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Try looking into a USB DAC that is compatible with the PS4 so you're not tied to a single headset.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You are not gonna get a AAA title at launch. At best, you will get one in spring 2021.
question is what do you see as AAA.
is demon's souls AAA?
is ratchet AAA?

my predicted launch is that (at least sony are planning for, possibly could change due to the virus delaying stuff), the lineup will be 3/4 out of 5 of this list of games:
godfall
demon's souls
ratchet
JS studio game (possibly a new ape escape)
Housemarque's AAA title.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand hyper-analyzing job postings and new hires. Trying to infer anything substantial from a developer with like 200+ people hiring a single World Designer seems irrational to me. AAA stucios are never not hiring. Watch for something like... a new creative director or lead writer, etc.

(To be clear, I don't think Horizon 2 will be a launch game.)

Last edited:

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
My only issues with the PS3 these days are the slow interface, the patching and some of the resolutions/frame rates the games run at. PS3 emulation on PC is coming along nicely though, so some of those problems may be fixed one day. Until then I still have several games on my PS3 I want to (re)play, working on Afrika at the moment with Yakuza Kenzan waiting impatiently for me to replay... I'd have imagined I'd get to Yakuza in the Summer, but I might just do more on 7 with the new DLC coming soon.
I would kill for an Africa 2 that would span all continents. It never even released in Europe.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
is demon's souls AAA?
is ratchet AAA?

my predicted launch is that (at least sony are planning for, possibly could change due to the virus delaying stuff), the lineup will be 3/4 out of 5 of this list of games:
godfall
demon's souls
ratchet
Housemarque's AAA title.
Pretty close to what I'm expecting: Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Godfall specifically. Maybe TLOU Online early access as well.

My wildcard prediction is a new Crash Bandicoot that's timed exclusive on PS5/PS4.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
For shits and giggles, you get one blank check to grab a single acquisition, but no more acquisitions for a decade (more like 2). You get Capcom and call it a day, or are you that desperate for a Bloodborne sequel and offer Kadokawa 4-5 times what Insomniac cost for FromSoft?
For me it would be either kadokawa or Yoko Taro (yeah he is worth that much)

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From my experience the USB ports go bad after awhile on the ps4. My headset used to cut out and switching the USB port fixed it. If I use an external on the same port barely touching the wire would cause it to disconnect. Might want to give it a shot, of course there could be other things going on but that's what did it for me.
I think I tried everything. That, extending the USB wire for interference, resetting everything, formatting PS4. Nothing works. It's either my house that is completely riddled with signals, or the PS4. Seeing my Bluetooth wireless earplugs work fine I'm assuming it's the latter.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Would be cool. But man feels like Until Dawn was a lucky hit for Supermassive, everything else feels mediocre.

I think the Dark Pictures shows they still have it. Its problem really isn't in quality but rather the episode nature that leads to it being short. You only get a very brief introduction to the characters before everything starts moving fast unlike in UD where it's more of a slow creep and characters are allowed to develop more due to its length.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that still cause it to run through the CPU? The one from the arctis pro goes through the optical port (I have a very basic understanding of audio so genuine question).
Optical port means that you aren't overriding the PS4's built-in DAC so the same issue will happen (if the problem actually is the CPU and not just wireless interference). I think you should attempt to see if the problem happens with wired headphones first to rule out wireless interference. The bluetooth chip in the PS4 is probably some outdated crap anyways.

Does your wireless headset have a dongle or does it use the PS4's bluetooth?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Optical port means that you aren't overriding the PS4's built-in DAC so the same issue will happen (if the problem actually is the CPU and not just wireless interference). I think you should attempt to see if the problem happens with wired headphones first to rule out wireless interference. The bluetooth chip in the PS4 is probably some outdated crap anyways.

Does your wireless headset have a dongle or does it use the PS4's bluetooth?
I had the titanium headset from Sony. I already tested it on another PS4 in the same house. Worked fine. Every headset I either plug in the controller or connect through a dongle to my ps4 has this issue. That why I think the problem lies with the PS4. From what I understand a headset like the arctis pro with it's own DAC does the connecting / processing in there, but you're saying it will still go through the ps4? What does the DAC do then? At least I found some people online with similar issues that fixed it through using a DAC. Had to search deep and hard though.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Last I remember is we were still measuring games by the size of their budgets when deciding how many A's to give them.

Games on new systems tend to be a bit on the expensive side due to learning curve and less developed tools etc.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
kazuwkzf.gif

Jan 20, 2019
So at launch ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
is demon's souls AAA?
is ratchet AAA?

godfall
demon's souls
ratchet
Housemarque's AAA title.
So Demon's Souls Remake, Ratchet & Clank, and a Japan Studio horror game aren't AAA?

Hum.... Maybe we will get something.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I had the titanium headset from Sony. I already tested it on another PS4 in the same house. Worked fine. Every headset I either plug in the controller or connect through a dongle to my ps4 has this issue. That why I think the problem lies with the PS4. From what I understand a headset like the arctis pro with it's own DAC does the connecting / processing in there, but you're saying it will still go through the ps4? What does the DAC do then? At least I found some people online with similar issues that fixed it through using a DAC. Had to search deep and hard though.
Ok looking at the little box it uses, looks like it takes the spdif optical signal from the PS4 and just sends it wirelessly to the headphones. It doesn't override the PS4's DAC. It would appear the box isn't compatible with the PS4 via USB so you would need to use an external USB DAC and plug its line out into the Steelseries' line in.

Its kind of tricky to find compatible DACs for PS4 but it seems most plug and play ones (don't require additional driver) should work.

I think one thing to try before you go shopping for one is to mess with your optical audio settings on the PS4 itself. If you're using spdif and stereo setup like headphones, using the audio format priority setting of LPCM will send uncompressed stereo audio which would tax the PS4's CPU. Now, if that is the setting you've been using, try using bitstream (DTS) compressed audio, and see if the audio problems continue.

Edit: Actually, the website says you can in fact use USB. Try that first. You would need to use the optional power cable with this method. You would use LPCM audio with this.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls and Ratchet are the best candidates I think. People have discussed Gran Turismo but knowing them that won't be at launch.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Yeah, and if they're still hiring World Designers, it almost confirms that Horizon 2 isn't a launch PS5 game.

It doesnt work like that. They can hire new concept artists right after the whole preproduction phase. He might join the actual team, work on planned dlc, some other project.. you dont hire new devs for senior positions short term.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok looking at the little box it uses, looks like it takes the spdif optical signal from the PS4 and just sends it wirelessly to the headphones. It doesn't override the PS4's DAC. It would appear the box isn't compatible with the PS4 via USB so you would need to use an external USB DAC and plug its line out into the Steelseries' line in.

Its kind of tricky to find compatible DACs for PS4 but it seems most plug and play ones (don't require additional driver) should work.

I think one thing to try before you go shopping for one is to mess with your optical audio settings on the PS4 itself. If you're using spdif and stereo setup like headphones, using the audio format priority setting of LPCM will send uncompressed stereo audio which would tax the PS4's CPU. Now, if that is the setting you've been using, try using bitstream (DTS) compressed audio, and see if the audio problems continue.

Edit: Actually, the website says you can in fact use USB. Try that first. You would need to use the optional power cable with this method. You would use LPCM audio with this.
Thx for the help! I sent steelseries support a message to ask if they have any knowledge of this issue. Setting up a lower quality would maybe fix it, but I'm looking to invest in some really good audio so don't think I'll be going in that route. This audio stuff is giving me headaches.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Demon's Souls and Ratchet are the best candidates I think.
Yeah, I think these two games are the best candidates for the most.

People have discussed Gran Turismo but knowing them that won't be at launch.
I have posted in the past that I believe that the new Gran Turismo will not take years to launch on PS5. I think that Polyphony will follow the same GaaS approach as they did with GT Sport. They can launch the game maybe in the launch year (or even later if they need more time for the basic content) and update and add content in the game for the whole generation.

Also we must not forget third party games. We know already for at least one console exclusive. Godfall. Maybe Sony has more than one deal (if not for launch day for the launch period).

Status
Not open for further replies.