• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I much rather Sony give the smaller guys they working with the chance .
So i talking BP, Housemarque , Arrowhead they got talent and having the budget to match would go a long way .

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Ueda is an absolute treasure. I'm there for his next game day one as long as it comes out on the PS5, which I assume it will because Epic doesn't seem to be too concerned about console competition.

But yes, him moving on to another publisher is a further sign of Sony placing less importance on Japanese devs. And that's sad to see, especially if you fell for the PlayStation brand in the first place because of all those weird Japanese games that were getting released left, right and centre during the PS1 days. Jumping Flash!, Parappa, Vib Ribbon, Ape Escape, so on and so forth.

I just really don't want more open-world, field-exploration simulators that take all their notes out of the Ubisoft Bible of AAA Game Design, but it seems like that's the trajectory Sony are heading into based on recent years.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I mean as a platform holder (and the one with the most revenue by far) they can take those commercial hits to bring people unique experiences like DS, GR and TLG. But looks like now Sony doesn't really care about games as an art.
Why are you drawing conclusions about a company that is clearly waiting to announce new games and has been doing so for two years? Three of their absolute latest games are Concrete Genie, Death Stranding and Dreams. None of these can be accused of being conventional.

At least wait until the PS5 is fully revealed before drawing conclusions. Sony is not announcing anything right now for a reason. When was the last time they announced a narrative-focused western AAA game? Seems they don't care about those either because I can tell you that it was years ago.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What will be the next disappointment?

Ready At Dawn
Bluepoint Games
Housemarque
Arrowhead Games
Kojima Productions

See you are asking to disappointed. At this point Kojima wants to be independent.
Bluepoint is already working and has worked with Sony exclusively. This is probably a beneficial relationship to both. BP gets paid. Sony reaps benefits without having to spend money on buying the studio.

Now I don't even know why RAD on this list. The game they made exclusively for PS was a straight up flop and I don't see anyone other than people in this thread bring them up as a studio acquisition as a fantasy.

For me it's just getting to a point where Platinum games could announce a partnership with EA. Not being bought by them, but just a partnership and people in this thread would comment "Wow Sony losing on another studio..Yikes."

Feb 26, 2018
Ueda is an absolute treasure. I'm there for his next game day one as long as it comes out on the PS5, which I assume it will because Epic doesn't seem to be too concerned about console competition.

But yes, him moving on to another publisher is a further sign of Sony placing less importance on Japanese devs. And that's sad to see, especially if you fell for the PlayStation brand in the first place because of all those weird Japanese games that were getting released left, right and centre during the PS1 days. Jumping Flash!, Parappa, Vib Ribbon, Ape Escape, so on and so forth.

I just really don't want more open-world, field-exploration simulators that take all their notes out of the Ubisoft Bible of AAA Game Design, but it seems like that's the trajectory Sony are heading into based on recent years.
Exactly. Such a shame that Sony doesn't give a crap about games as an art form anymore

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Yeah this was the safe space for PS conversations, but as soon anything that can spinned as bad for Sony happens it goes nuclear. With lots of comments posted in bad faith.
I think this style of posting is their hobby honestly. Like they get a rise out of annoying ppl, instead of ya know gaming. So yeah, just gonna go through a new blocking wave and take me a little 1-2 week break.

Man ...I truly hope we are talking about PS5 and games again soon, this epidemic is souring good vibes around the world. stay safe my bros, y'all annoying but I love you, well most of you 😂

Acquiescence good posts. We just gotta wait for the big lineup reveal. BB and Ape Escape at least seem to be not forgotten. We might get more experimental Sony back, they already went outside the box with hardware.

Oct 25, 2017
I made a dumb joke. The fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Epic are both rising in ferocity as far as major titles are going, and we're supposed to just be happy with the same five or six Western first party studios Sony's been trotting out for the past eight years?

For better or for worse, Sony needs new talent and they need new teams. It's pretty clear MS isn't going to stop eating companies alive and if Epic does well with this initiative they will also keep locking companies down. Sony can't just keep banging the "ND, SSM, Guerrilla, ND and Sucker Punch" drums over and over again - they have to keep growing if they want to keep up.

Microsoft is still playing catch up to Sony in studio talent and have proven nothing yet. Sony has added a second team to Guerilla, they have an unannounced new AAA studio or team in California. They have a partnership with Kojima. They are partnered with Bluepoint. They are very likely partnered with Housemarque and Arrowhead for next gen games. They finally acquired Insomniac which is by far the best acquisition anyone has made. I'm not sure what some of you want.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I made a dumb joke. The fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Epic are both rising in ferocity as far as major titles are going, and we're supposed to just be happy with the same five or six Western first party studios Sony's been trotting out for the past eight years?

For better or for worse, Sony needs new talent and they need new teams. It's pretty clear MS isn't going to stop eating companies alive and if Epic does well with this initiative they will also keep locking companies down. Sony can't just keep banging the "ND, SSM, Guerrilla, ND and Sucker Punch" drums over and over again - they have to keep growing if they want to keep up.

You don't know what quality those games will be once released, if they will be good or bad or even if the studio will be around in 3 years. You're just basing this on "MS bought studios so Sony needs to do the same"

MS needed to do something because even their premire AAA games have been underperforming. Again WWS is fine. Their games sell millions upon millions and usually deliver.

And you're right. They do need to grow it's why they bought a MAJOR studio in Insomniac. And as they've said. They'll keep looking at opportunities that best fit what they want.

But it really comes off as some of you want them to buy studios just for the sake of buying them.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft is still playing catch up to Sony in studio talent and have proven nothing yet. Sony has added a second team to Guerilla, they have an unannounced new AAA studio or team in California. They have a partnership with Kojima. They are partnered with Bluepoint. They are very likely partnered with Housemarque and Arrowhead for next gen games. I'm not sure what some of you want.

I am looking for teams that bring things to their first party that we don't already have. Sony still has no marquee RPG franchise, for example.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I just finished work and realized there are mini Direct + games and Ueda next work published by Epic.

Truly random Tuesday if you think about it.

Albeit not what expected, lol.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Meh

The last thing WWS needed was another Western studio pumping out 3P Action/Adventure games; we already get that in spades.

Losing that Ueda studio is definitely a bummer tho

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me get this straight, so games published by Epic are coming to PS4/5 as well?

Looks like Sony didn't really lose anything at all.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much.
PS5 will still get all those low and mid-tier third party Japanese games (mostly via PS4 BC), but it's still sad for an old school Playstation fan to see how much they've shifted their internal focus to huge AAA gritty western games and almost nothing more.
Hopefully at least you're allowed to say this without being branded as a troll or a drama queen.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Microsoft is still playing catch up to Sony in studio talent and have proven nothing yet. Sony has added a second team to Guerilla, they have an unannounced new AAA studio or team in California. They have a partnership with Kojima. They are partnered with Bluepoint. They are very likely partnered with Housemarque and Arrowhead for next gen games. They finally acquired Insomniac which is by far the best acquisition anyone has made. I'm not sure what some of you want.

Imagine going nuts with Sony and their 3P relationships when in the last 6 months we got : Death Stranding, Ni Oh 2 and Persona 5 with FFVII coming out soon.
Now imagine being mad with their first party output when we just had Dreams released and will have The Last Of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima soon.
Imagine that.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I prefer Ueda making games for everyone than not making them at all, but hey maybe that's just me.

This was a good move for everyone.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
You have to twist yourself into knots to spin independent studios signing with other publishers as specifically a Sony failure. Including one they've never actually worked with (Remedy).

It's like blaming Sony for third parties releasing their wholly owned and published projects on other platforms. I though we weren't supposed to support moneyhats?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Looking forward to whatever GenDesign does, The last Guardian is a masterpiece. Hope it comes to PS4/5 as well. Would have thought securing them would have been a major target of Yoshida's new indie position.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I prefer Ueda making games for everyone than not making them at all, but hey maybe that's just me.

This was a good move for everyone.
That's the weird part. They are a concept/idea studio, not really a development studio. So I don't know how that's gonna work out. Maybe they will have Epic Games Japan will develop their ideas? 🤔

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Some people here should be happier that Remedy is confirmed to work on two big new IPs (that will be on PS5) rather than being bought out.
Wonder if you're really Remedy fans or just want an exclusivity for the sake of it...
It's just that Sony is the only publisher that I trust to give enough budget, time and marketing for remedy's games.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Looking forward to whatever GenDesign does, The last Guardian is a masterpiece. Hope it comes to PS4/5 as well. Would have thought securing them would have been a major target of Yoshida's new indie position.
Their last game working with SIE broke them. Team Ico would have not been "dissolved" and GenDesign founded if that wasn't the case.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Epic Games' publishing deal sounds like heaven for indie studios! Very glad for them. And probably their games will also come to PS4/5
Housemarque probably made a deal with Sony before the Epic publishing deals started... Sony better lock them down if the game does well, else Housemarque is absolutely walking

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Its really interesting how after any news for the industry some here always end up to say: "Sony is doomed."

The publishing deal from Epic is insane for many developers out there. These are great news for the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.