• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 1, 2019
Its kind of a bummer that seemingly remedy arent signing with Sony on anything. I would have loved to see them under large funding and creative freedom. Sony better start signing deals already, as they seem to be missing out on many developers who are either making games for others or outright getting acquired.
I was so sure that Sony and Remedy were working on an exclusive together. Turns out, they were really just being friendly with each other. I wonder if Sony is planning to make deals with big third-party developers to make console exclusives or they'll just rely on their first-party studios + Bluepoint's output.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Yes, the same Remedy that has produced four underperforming games at retail in a row... I'm sure Sony is kicking themselves that someone else is footing the bill for their next games that'll still be on PlayStation.
Glad you missed all the accolades Control got, this was a no brainer move. By your logic Housemarque and the likes of it are done with Playstation.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
So no Remedy game and Silent Hill rumors are not true as well - I wonder what's the plan for PS5?

Jul 26, 2018
So no Remedy game and Silent Hill rumors are not true as well - I wonder what's the plan for PS5?
Horizon II, God of War II, Spider-Man II, Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Guerilla MP game.

There are rumors they're making a big game for Sony(I hope it's true). I'm just pointing out that looking only to sales is a terrible attitude to have.
I'm not one of those people who only buys what's popular, but you have to be realistic. Sony not jumping into bed with Remedy is not surprising... And like the other topic mentioned, as soon as Remedy said they wanted to keep the IP, Sony was probably like... OK, bye.

Deleted member 24417

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Btw Sony has always acquired developers which frequently worked with them (Insomniac for example), Remedy outside of Control marketing bonded to PS always had relationship with Microsoft

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy's next games are coming to "next gen consoleS" in plural, meaning the PS5. What exactly did PlayStation owners miss out on by Sony not "grabbing a Remedy exclusive"?

What was the plan with the PS4? It had no Konami exclusives and the competition was the one that had a Remedy exclusive. Seems PlayStation can survive without these.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
Remedy, Sony and Marvel teaming up for a Doctor Strange game would have been nice, but oh well....

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Was there even a rumor about a Remedy game or was it just people reading too much into things as usual?
It started with speculation based on how close they seemed, then push square reported they heard that sony is in talks to acquire remedy, which later i think zhuge mentioned that sony did look at it but assumed that nothing came out of it, which made people speculate that Sony could have signed Remedy on a game instead.
But i guess that they just... gave up on acquiring them and then didnt even try to make a game together? Weird decision.
Yes, the same Remedy that has produced four underperforming games at retail in a row... I'm sure Sony is kicking themselves that someone else is footing the bill for their next games that'll still be on PlayStation.
I blame 505 on the lack of marketing for control as the reason for it underperforming.
And regardless, a platform holder shouldnt just look at which developer to sign for profit (otherwise sony would just be making GaaS games to maximize their profit), but its also about building prestige
The last thing i want out of Sony is to just make games over how much money they can squeeze out of them.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also not bothered that Sony is not publishing Remedy's game, they have enough cinematic experiences. I truly want PS5 to be the gen of proper old school revivals and brand new experiences in unexplored genre's. We'll get our God of Wars and Spider-mans but I hope PS5 carves it's own niche.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
There are rumors they're making a big game for Sony(I hope it's true). I'm just pointing out that looking only to sales is a terrible attitude to have.
You make it sound like Remdies games are skipping Playstation now lol. use logic. You know how much it costs to fund someone else's projects?
Everything is better if it's in house.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Remedy is quality but SIE has plenty of similar output. An acquisition never made sence, an exclusive could have been nice, but it's not like we are starving for 3rd person narrative centric games.

Keep it moving folks...

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah we dont see any next gen games moves from Sony. No studio acquisitions and no interesting studio partnerships. Really hope its just them being silent

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
You make it sound like Remdies games are skipping Playstation now lol. use logic. You know how much it costs to fund someone else's projects?
Everything is better if it's in house.
ok dude
3w2MWDX.png

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
I think my post came out a little wrong as I am excited to know PlayStation next-gen games strategy as rumors are fake. I just hope there is a good mix of new IPs as well because it is getting harder and harder to get an big independent developer to work on your game these days but PlayStation is the only one who hasn't disappointed in terms of new IPs compared to other publishers.

Was there even a rumor about a Remedy game or was it just people reading too much into things as usual?
Nothing credible.

Horizon II, God of War II, Spider-Man II, Ratchet and Clank, Demon's Souls, Guerilla MP game.
I am looking forward to all of those games except Guerilla MP game and will try to get all of them on day 1.

Remedy's next games are coming to "next gen consoleS" in plural, meaning the PS5. What exactly did PlayStation owners miss out on by Sony not "grabbing a Remedy exclusive"?

What was the plan with the PS4? It had no Konami exclusives and the competition was the one that had a Remedy exclusive. Seems PlayStation can survive without these.
I am perfectly fine with this as Remedy is still presumably making a AAA game and those funds can go to up-and-coming developers.

About Silent Hill:
Konami denied last rumours but Dusk Golem and Relyonhorror still claim that these games will be on PS5. They wrote that they trust their sources.
I was hoping the rumor is not true like PlanetSmasher as it makes more sense for them to make a new horror IP instead of giving Konami a free ride.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
There never was any point in Sony signing a deal with Remedy. The type of game they make simply doesn't interest many people as evidenced with Quantum Break and Control underperforming. Actually I'm surprised a "major publisher" would fund them, it reminds me of how Platinium Games used to run their business, the difference being that Platinium brings hype while Remedy brings indifference. The Wonderful 101 Kickstarter pulled $2million and that game was a complete flop back in the day, I'm convinced an Alan Wake remaster Kickstarter wouldn't be able to pull a quarter of that.

Oct 27, 2017
So I was trying to organize my backlog so I went through my transaction history on the PSN website. I noticed there`s a ton of games purchases missing! Specifically everything I bought before September 2017. Has anyone had this problem before? Is there a solution to this?

Oct 31, 2017
Also R&C is still unique industry and wws-wise. While I hope for more, I agree with DLB3 in the sense that it should innovate in a sensible capacity. Thats my hope for any sequel on PS5, really. The tech is there.

Of course with the timeline in place R&C was probably conceptualized for the PS4. Dunno how much time is needed to adapt for a new platform.

Speaking of R&C, it was one of the games I bought my brother and his sons after they got a PS4 Black Friday.

The middle son started playing it. He's really enjoying it, and my brother is floored by how it looks. He wasn't expecting those graphics from that game.

Oct 25, 2017
Its kind of a bummer that seemingly remedy arent signing with Sony on anything. I would have loved to see them under large funding and creative freedom. Sony better start signing deals already, as they seem to be missing out on many developers who are either making games for others or outright getting acquired.

Except most of these games are multiplatform and Sony already do these kinda partnership deals. it's how we got Spider-man.

Also Sony can't just throw money at a studio and instantly get them. That studio has to agree to it and imo there needs to be a mutual benefit.

It's why I really dislike the idea of MS flaunting their studio acquisitions on stage. I get why they do it, but it sets up unrealistic expectations among hardcore gamers. It's how you get rumors like Sony buying Remedy or Sony buying the MGS, Castlevania and SH IP's. and realistically you don't know how those studios will look a year or two from now.

Lacrimosis

Dec 13, 2019
Speaking of R&C, it was one of the games I bought my brother and his sons after they got a PS4 Black Friday.

The middle son started playing it. He's really enjoying it, and my brother is floored by how it looks. He wasn't expecting those graphics from that game.
Another reason I want a PS5 title. Just how much further can they go?!

Hopefully 60fps again, though.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Some people here should be happier that Remedy is confirmed to work on two big new IPs (that will be on PS5) rather than being bought out.
Wonder if you're really Remedy fans or just want an exclusivity for the sake of it...

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
It's potential new IPs that excite me. Maybe SSM's canceled game gets new life. It would be a shame to throw away all the work they had done.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'm not getting your logic
Just that Remedy could deliver a good game, with expected results, without a lot of resources. Control was not expensive to make considering today's standards and was praised by the critics. Having strategic partnerships like this is good, gives more space and time for your 1st party devs. Sony did this successfully with Bloodborne for example, funded a game that otherwise would still be on Playstation.

Is it a huge blow? Of course not. Could something VERY interesting come out of it? Definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.