• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twitter insiders proven wrong AGAIN?! color me surprised.
I know. Trully shocking that Tidux, Foxy and the likes are full of it.

I feel like we're missing the bigger picture or at least refusing to point it out as a community. These twitter insiders are all attached to a media outlet. Either a website they own or a partnered youtube channel.

They spew lies for clicks.

On average youtube gives 4 - 7 USD per thousand views. So essentially they make a tidy profit off of baseless lies. I'm not an era mod but perhaps we in this sub should push to stop having these fraudulent "insiders" content posted her so frequently and freely.

The sad reality is that gamings fake insiders are not about gaming at all. They've just turned gamers notorious impatience into a revenue stream.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sony can't catch a break these days, huh? If these acquisition/lockdown wars continue, there's gonna be nobody left for Sony to add to their first party stable. Bummer.

A Sony/Remedy collaboration would've been super great. Damn it.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, Sony can't catch a break these days, huh? If these acquisition/lockdown wars continue, there's gonna be nobody left for Sony to add to their first party stable. Bummer.

And their games will still be on Playstation. It makes no sense for Sony to buy Remedy when Sony studios make the same type of games with better results sales wise. Hell I'd reckon Days Gone performed better than Control and Quantum Break.

They are a great studio. They don't need to be tied down yet. And this deal works better for them. They get to retain their IP.

Yall gotta really stop assuming there's all these studios out there that just want to be bought up or that most studios would gel with the PS culture.

Feb 26, 2018
Yeah Sony dropping ball on every past partnerships. Imagine not securing Ueda once again.
Well actually not surprised about that. HZD port on PC got me thinking that Sony doesn't really care about making their platform desirable for the hardcore

OP
OP
JuanLatino

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
There never was any point in Sony signing a deal with Remedy. The type of game they make simply doesn't interest many people as evidenced with Quantum Break and Control underperforming. Actually I'm surprised a "major publisher" would fund them, it reminds me of how Platinium Games used to run their business, the difference being that Platinium brings hype while Remedy brings indifference. The Wonderful 101 Kickstarter pulled $2million and that game was a complete flop back in the day, I'm convinced an Alan Wake remaster Kickstarter wouldn't be able to pull a quarter of that.

i mean zhugeEx himself said that Sony was thinking about it

I can probably guess the sources they talked to, given the Remedy stuff has been making the rounds.
I'd have to look into it more. I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe a deal has happened at this point. Only that it was explored.

so based on that info and Yoshida visiting their studio it wasn't far fetched to assume a deal could happen.

maybe it didn't work out, maybe it will happen in the future. Atleast they found a publisher to fund their AAA Game so that's great for the studio

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you were against Remedy acquisition as they were too similar to current WWS?

Remedy is one of the only "third person action game" devs who makes anything interesting these days. Control was great.

And their games will still be on Playstation. It makes no sense for Sony to buy Remedy when Sony studios make the same type of games with better results sales wise. Hell I'd reckon Days Gone performed better than Control and Quantum Break.

They are a great studio. They don't need to be tied down yet. And this deal works better for them. They get to retain their IP.

Yall gotta really stop assuming there's all these studios out there that just want to be bought up or that most studios would gel with the PS culture.

Like I said, Sony needs to add more studios to their FP stable, and losing out on so many IS bad for them moving forward. Yes, they still get the games, but that doesn't help WWS.

Jul 24, 2018
596869279002132501.png

Just for that my next avatar will be Kat, that will be better than yours.
Kat? I'm going to allow this.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
okay, i am happy with who the publisher ended up being, Epic will give those games proper funding and marketing. Pretty awesome of them to fund 3 independent developers that i adore.

Oct 25, 2017
Remedy is one of the only "third person action game" devs who makes anything interesting these days. Control was great.

Like I said, Sony needs to add more studios to their FP stable, and losing out on so many IS bad for them moving forward. Yes, they still get the games, but that doesn't help WWS.

WWS is fine. also lol at "losing" out. I highly doubt there was some bidding war. Other studios do what's best for themselves as well. What if they didn't want to be bought out by Sony? Remedy clearly has a two game deal in which they retain the IP and then they can move on. They probably don't want to be in a situation like MS ever again.

Again this is why I dislike MS showing off their studio acquisitions because that's what most of the talk has been around here. Real talk. None of know if any of these games will turn out good at all. Games matter and I can't wait for both studios to show them off.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sony dropping ball on every past partnerships. Imagine not securing Ueda once again.
Well actually not surprised about that. HZD port on PC got me thinking that Sony doesn't really care about making their platform desirable for the hardcore

That's some shit logic. Maybe Ueda wanted to move on and/or maybe Sony didn't want to tie up Japan Studio staff any more as he doesn't even have a full dev team. I guess Microsoft really doesn't care about the hardcore since all of their games are on PC and they let Remedy walk.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
While I think this is an extreme take, the news cycle sure makes it feel like the PS5 is not drumming up hype. Hopefully when games are shown we will all feel more hopeful about Sony's offerings for next gen.

Feb 26, 2018
Great to know that people here want Sony to make only profitable games. When will we get to a point where Sony will only do gaas games and people will defend that

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
That's some shit logic. Maybe Ueda wanted to move on and/or maybe Sony didn't want to tie up Japan Studio staff any more as he doesn't even have a full dev team. I guess Microsoft really doesn't care about the hardcore since all of their games are on PC and they let Remedy walk.
Yeah Remedy and Playdead were both buddy buddy with Xbox just a couple of years ago. This Epic play was ag

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
You people should ignore obvious troll posts from users who have a 'long history of infractions' for console warring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
WWS is fine. also lol at "losing" out. I highly doubt there was some bidding war. Other studios do what's best for themselves as well. What if they didn't want to be bought out by Sony? Remedy clearly has a two game deal in which they retain the IP and then they can move on. They probably don't want to be in a situation like MS ever again.

Again this is why I dislike MS showing off their studio acquisitions because that's what most of the talk has been around here. Real talk. None of know if any of these games will turn out good at all. Games matter and I can't wait for both studios to show them off.

As much as it sucks, we're in an arms race now. Companies are going to keep locking down studios either via buyouts or exclusive deals like this. Sony has to keep up, because I'm sorry, "the exact same studios we had last gen making sequels to stuff" isn't a good way to fight back against Microsoft and Epic surging.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Gen Design had external financial backing guaranteed; expecting any return under SIE's wing was far-fetched, to say the least... It's good to know their project moves ahead and will release sooner or later. Personally, I don't believe they represented a good business choice for PS anymore. As a creative studio, however, it's fantastic that someone else provides them with enough support for its next years-in-the-making project.

All the other news and speculations, are nothing but pure fantasy. A few nice words here and there and acquisitions become inevitable facts. Things are much harder to get done, especially when succesful studios are involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Great to know that people here want Sony to make only profitable games. When will we get to a point where Sony will only do gaas games and people will defend that

GaaS is something Sony should look into. They should look into MP games as well.

And of course Sony as a company is going to look into making profitable games. Look I love Kojima, but I'm not blaming Sony for not signing another exclusive game deal after Death Stranding. I can see why they aren't contracting Ueda to make another game in which Japan Studio will have to help him out again and it takes god knows how long.

Not to mention Sony has done plenty of partnerships this gen. That's how we got Spider-man with Insomniac. I also can understand Sony not going out and buying every studio they can just because they can. Shit like that has to be a mutual agreement and it has to be for the long haul. We've seen TOO many publishers close down studios after acquiring them because things didn't work out.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Poor corporation who spent years terrorising developers with terms that were unpalatable in the hopes that they could snatch them up at a fraction down the line without having to pay for any IP.

If SIE want to sign partnerships they need to let that awful clause of owning the IP go.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
No need to go full "Ninty is doomed again amirite???XDD". I'm just saying that i find sad that Sony doesn't care about Ueda anymore and that their WWS are losing Japanese talent.
They're not doomed or anything like that. They'll be more than fine.

Stuff life Ape Escape should be a slam dunk you would think. I think an announcement is coming soon.

Hopefully it actually exists. That would be great.
I'm not believing it untill i see it though.

Oct 25, 2017
As much as it sucks, we're in an arms race now. Companies are going to keep locking down studios either via buyouts or exclusive deals like this. Sony has to keep up, because I'm sorry, "the exact same studios we had last gen making sequels to stuff" isn't a good way to fight back against Microsoft and Epic surging.

You literally said Microsoft had nothing to offer in exclusive games and got banned for it. Now they are passing Sony? And Epic is a threat now? Are you fucking kidding me?

Feb 26, 2018
GaaS is something Sony should look into. They should look into MP games as well.

And of course Sony as a company is going to look into making profitable games. Look I love Kojima, but I'm not blaming Sony for not signing another exclusive game deal after Death Stranding. I can see why they aren't contracting Ueda to make another game in which Japan Studio will have to help him out again and it takes god knows how long.

Not to mention Sony has done plenty of partnerships this gen. That's how we got Spider-man with Insomniac. I also can understand Sony not going out and buying every studio they can just because they can. Shit like that has to be a mutual agreement and it has to be for the long haul. We've seen TOO many publishers close down studios after acquiring them because things didn't work out.
I mean as a platform holder (and the one with the most revenue by far) they can take those commercial hits to bring people unique experiences like DS, GR and TLG. But looks like now Sony doesn't really care about games as an art.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Just that Remedy could deliver a good game, with expected results, without a lot of resources. Control was not expensive to make considering today's standards and was praised by the critics. Having strategic partnerships like this is good, gives more space and time for your 1st party devs. Sony did this successfully with Bloodborne for example, funded a game that otherwise would still be on Playstation.

Is it a huge blow? Of course not. Could something VERY interesting come out of it? Definitely.

Sony own the BB IP.
If Remedy wanted to keep the IP that would be a non starter for Sony .
Seem like Epic is allowing that so it work all good for everyone.

Oct 25, 2017
No need to go full "Ninty is doomed again amirite???XDD".
Everytime somebody says something remotely negative in here it happens lol and than ppl say they gonna block ppl(never happens) than a bunch of vague posts calling out ppl(but never actually quote who they talking bout so it come off like the entire thread doing it) than the cycle repeats anew

Oct 25, 2017
Gen Design had external financial backing guaranteed; expecting any return under SIE's wing was far-fetched, to say the least... It's good to know their project moves ahead and will release sooner or later. Personally, I don't believe they represented a good business choice for PS anymore. As a creative studio, however, it's fantastic that someone else provides them with enough support for its next years-in-the-making project.

All the other news and speculations, are nothing but pure fantasy. A few nice words here and there and acquisitions become inevitable facts. Things are much harder to get done, especially when succesful studios are involved.

Yea. All the talk being around studio acquisitions is getting tiresome and it's leading alot of yall to believe some impossible ass rumors. Even if SH happens yall should never have taken it as fact to begin with.

And you're right. Sony is probably looking at a lot of different things when acquiring a studio. But these deals don't happen in a matter of days or weeks.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
My goodness I just can't take bad actors in here...see y'all after corona. This place is extra whack.

if it's not doom and gloom its my genre isn't represented whining. I don't think I've seen Planet say anything positive since I've posted here.

Y'all need to smoke some weed

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You literally said Microsoft had nothing to offer in exclusive games and got banned for it. Now they are passing Sony? And Epic is a threat now? Are you fucking kidding me?

I made a dumb joke. The fact of the matter is that Microsoft and Epic are both rising in ferocity as far as major titles are going, and we're supposed to just be happy with the same five or six Western first party studios Sony's been trotting out for the past eight years?

For better or for worse, Sony needs new talent and they need new teams. It's pretty clear MS isn't going to stop eating companies alive and if Epic does well with this initiative they will also keep locking companies down. Sony can't just keep banging the "ND, SSM, Guerrilla, ND and Sucker Punch" drums over and over again - they have to keep growing if they want to keep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.