• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Mediocrity is mediocrity. Outside of Astro Bot they have not made an impacful game on their own since when?
What's your definition of impactful? Because TLG and GR2 are both 80+ on metacritic and generally regarded as good games.

But if you mean games that made a big splash and are still widely discussed years later... probably Shadow of the Colossus :P

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder this board scares away insiders. I can't imagine thinking I'd be able to openly talk about things I'm working on when I read your posts about trying to find an unknown quantity that isn't currently making games for Sony that is making new IPs you don't know about and is working on new ideas but not the new ideas Insomniac tackled already and the new ideas need to be made by a company that's an unknown quantity, which is the only way it'd be a big deal.

It's almost like when you're bored of sequels, a developer that was bought to make sequels isn't super exciting.

Like I said. I like Insomniac. They're a great team and I'm glad they're going to be stable for the foreseeable future. But they don't add anything to Playstation that wasn't already there. When I talk about Sony widening their net, I'm not saying "just keep doing what you're doing, Sony!", I'm saying "keep doing what you're doing but ALSO fill in the gaps in your release library with genres and styles of gameplay that you aren't already serving".

That's the problem - I'm looking for NEW things, not more of the same stuff we're already getting.

Oct 31, 2017
They closed as many studios as they opened this gen (and that's assuming there's a new studio working with VASG on a new AAA game).

As for the 2nd points it doesn't matter how many studios there're out there. Great studios on the level Sony is looking for (able to make good games with high production values) are not common at all. Insomniac sold for +200 million without owning anything of value because of their reputation.

There's only one Ueda. There's only one Miyazaki. You can't just ask a random studio to make a AAA game for you. Sony initiative in China has been mostly average to bad so far. If you want a studio that doesn't need 10 years of nurturing and multiple games before they make a great game (that's IF they do), you need to start securing studios who already can.

This is also missing a very key point: many of their studios weren't big AAA studios to begin with. Naughty Dog and Guerrilla didn't begin making games like The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn. Rarely have they actually acquired a developer that made big games from the beginning. With an enormous amount of developers and undiscovered talent out there, what makes you think they're not looking to work with developers (which they already are this year)?

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I'll pose a question:

After the almost guaranteed Spider-Man and Ratchet sequels, what would everyone like to see Insomniac work on?

I'd love to see them revisit the cancelled Monster Knight concept. Such a cool idea that seemed overly ambitious for the early PS2 era. I'd love to have more family-friendly but genuinely great games kind of like Ratchet.
Anything but another Sunset Overdrive

Oct 31, 2017
It's almost like when you're bored of sequels, a developer that was bought to make sequels isn't super exciting.

Like I said. I like Insomniac. They're a great team and I'm glad they're going to be stable for the foreseeable future. But they don't add anything to Playstation that wasn't already there. When I talk about Sony widening their net, I'm not saying "just keep doing what you're doing, Sony!", I'm saying "keep doing what you're doing but ALSO fill in the gaps in your release library with genres and styles of gameplay that you aren't already serving".

That's the problem - I'm looking for NEW things, not more of the same stuff we're already getting.

Who said they were bought just to make sequels? I don't recall them saying they were only making Spider-Man and Ratchet. I wasn't even aware Spidey was a sequel. Nor was I aware Sony was pumping out platformers or Spider-Man games before, or that Insomniac's VR offerings are replicas of what Sony was doing...

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I would buy a Series X if it meant that Microsoft would let go of the publishing rights to the OG Sunset Overdrive

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

fDArF2q.png

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing about y'all pushing back on sunset 2 is I've seen more than half the thread stan for the order sequel off "potential" go sit down lol

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
May be Sony will really surprise us with some unexpected titles. Predator Hunting Grounds and Iron Man VR were quite a surprise.

We cannot dismiss RAD without knowing what is their project.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The thing is about half of those games they made with other people so i would really call it there out put alone .
IMO if Bend can be 60 plus people and grow to 130 and make DG Japan studio should have been able to so the same with new IPs for this gen .
You do realize Japan Studio is among SIE's biggest development house of all its WWS, right? They have like 200+ employees. 🤔

Oct 25, 2017
What's your definition of impactful? Because TLG and GR2 are both 80+ on metacritic and generally regarded as good games.

But if you mean games that made a big splash and are still widely discussed years later... probably Shadow of the Colossus :P

GR2 went out like a wet fart. TLG was a partner project with Gen Design which I exclude from this discussion. Astro Bot is really all I can think of that they have done internally that actually stands out.

You do realize Japan Studio is among SIE's biggest development house of all its WWS, right? They have like 200+ employees. 🤔

No they have like 400 employees. Maybe not all game devs, but neither are all the employees at Naughty Dog. It's staggering how irrelevant they are for that size.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
or Warner Bros
or Activision
or EA
or 2K
or even Tencent or Netease etc...

Plenty of publishers are willing to fund AAA games, it can be anyone.
You would be surprised. Besides, none of these publishers would give the same level of creative freedom as SIE does, especially if it's for single-player games.

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully I'm not one of those mad people 😂

I just don't want another game with "humans". Either give me a new Ratchet or something cartoony, rip Jak/Sly.
This the wrong pub for us buddy😂😂
it has Coop with up to 6 people in your team

I guess they can add MP too in it were once you're done looting and making your squad all stacked up you have planets you can fight in like a Battle Royale with your squad mates
Ya hired

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Who said they were bought just to make sequels? I don't recall them saying they were only making Spider-Man and Ratchet. I wasn't even aware Spidey was a sequel. Nor was I aware Sony was pumping out platformers or Spider-Man games before, or that Insomniac's VR offerings are replicas of what Sony was doing...

Well, hopefully Insom has something in mind that's neither a sequel nor a VR game. And not a multiplayer FPS. I'd punch a hole in the damn moon if the first thing they make after being acquired is a multiplayer FPS.

This is why Sony needs more studios, though, so I don't have to put all my hopes in companies that are more likely than not just going to disappoint me. The more studios they have, the more chances I might actually wind up with a reason to buy a damn PS5.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
I'll pose a question:

After the almost guaranteed Spider-Man and Ratchet sequels, what would everyone like to see Insomniac work on?

I'd love to see them revisit the cancelled Monster Knight concept. Such a cool idea that seemed overly ambitious for the early PS2 era. I'd love to have more family-friendly but genuinely great games kind of like Ratchet.
Spider-Man 3. And a new I.P. I guess.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Well, hopefully Insom has something in mind that's neither a sequel nor a VR game. And not a multiplayer FPS. I'd punch a hole in the damn moon if the first thing they make after being acquired is a multiplayer FPS.

This is why Sony needs more studios, though, so I don't have to put all my hopes in companies that are more likely than not just going to disappoint me. The more studios they have, the more chances I might actually wind up with a reason to buy a damn PS5.

I really don't see it like that at all.
Sony can add 4 more studios or 5 more but once there in the west , they going to make games for the west.
So MP , FPS , TPS , west type RPGs , Open world , GaaS , so if you don't like thoese games it won't matter how many studios they add.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Again I am going to reiterate my Ape Escape Pumped and Primed Battle Royale idea

with the boats and the tanks and the hoola hops... all of the good stuff

of course that won't replace the mainline release of a true Ape Escape sequel

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
So the new thread civil war is
Sunset Overdrive stans VS The Order stans?

I'm down, certainly more than Sony is down with funding another AAA from the studio that brought us The Order.

Someone has to be the toxic Kat avatar, and that is my role in this thread...

Oct 25, 2017

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
another The Order using the PS5's SSD would mean a change in game design I feel

all those narrow hallways, etc... would be different

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.