• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't see it like that at all.
Sony can add 4 more studios or 5 more but once there in the west , they going to make games for the west.
So MP , FPS , TPS , west type RPGs , Open world , GaaS , so if you don't like thoese games it won't matter how many studios they add.

That's a pretty depressing thought. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way. There has to be a way Sony can serve the parts of their userbase that came to them for Japanese games and RPGs, because right now it truly feels like they don't care about that demographic in the slightest.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
This is also missing a very key point: many of their studios weren't big AAA studios to begin with. Naughty Dog and Guerrilla didn't begin making games like The Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn. Rarely have they actually acquired a developer that made big games from the beginning. With an enormous amount of developers and undiscovered talent out there, what makes you think they're not looking to work with developers (which they already are this year)?
They're probably working with some. It's a question tho of how many of these are gonna turn into another ND, and most importantly how long is it gonna take them? The competition is getting more fierce than ever, and Sony need their exclusive to hit harder than ever too. working with some unknown developer is not only risky but takes a long time. Something Sony might not be afford next gen. There's a shorter more assured path that Sony can afford, but they are not taking (at least not yet).

Oct 26, 2017
You would be surprised. Besides, none of these publishers would give the same level of creative freedom as SIE does, especially if it's for single-player games.

Just like how EA didn't give creative freedom to Respawn for Titanfall and let them use MoH for VR or the launch of Apex Legends or Private Division for The Outer Worlds or Activision for Sekiro Shadows Die Twice or WB for both Dying Light and Hitman 2 lol

Or how Netease gave millions to both Quantic Dream and Bungie and they both kept their indipendency or even Tencent with PlatinumGames.

Just keep your expectations in check, and not only Sony gives "creative freedom" as seen recently with Epic Games and Private Division and better, they at least let developers own their IPs instead of taking them.

And if X developers has to choose between:

Sony funding your game, keeps the IP and publishes on PS only vs X publisher funding your game, not taking your IP and multiplatfrom release

No wonder a lot of developers are opting for the latter, you will still see third party games funded by Sony, but at the same time you have the likes of Remedy, IOI, Turtle Rock, Techland, FromSoftware, People Can Fly and others opting for the other alternative.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The order design would be the exact same. They made the exact game they wanted to make if you watch them interviews

meta agrees
Anyone with taste agrees

And anyways, at least I got my moneys worth with Sunset. I spent more time in the character customization booth than the amount of time it took me to finish The Order *sips tea*

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If its like the first teaser rather than the actual end product then I wouldn't mind tbh.
People exaggerate how much actually changed. Overstrike only ever got a CG trailer and it featured the abilities that actually made it into the final product. Fuse got a slightly more realistic style and that's about it as far as proven changes go compared to Overstrike.

Nothing suggests that Overstrike would have been some sort of amazing game that was ruined due to EA's focus testing. Insomniac made a mediocre game for once and we can't really blame anyone else. I thought it was fairly enjoyable personally in co-op.

I think Insomniac should make a new Ratchet & Clank and a new Spider-Man next. Spidey was hugely popular and we haven't gotten a proper R&C since 2009. I legit think Sunset Overdrive is a top 10 games this gen but the brand probably can't be salvaged. Maybe use some elements from it for an open world R&C game though. Apart from that, I'd like them creating a new IP where they are allowed to try to create something unique. There's a lot of creativity in that studio. A Resistance game could be fun but the brand doesn't seem super strong and the series isn't super unique either.

Oct 26, 2017
At least Sunset Overdrive is fun, can't say the same for The Order if i'm being honest.

Good setting and graphics, but the rest is mediocre.

I'm all in for another Sunset Overdrive.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
That's a pretty depressing thought. Hopefully it doesn't turn out that way. There has to be a way Sony can serve the parts of their userbase that came to them for Japanese games and RPGs, because right now it truly feels like they don't care about that demographic in the slightest.
Those who came to Playstation for Japanese games are probably too busy playing Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal, Granblue Fantasy Versus, FFVII Remake, Sakura Wars, Yakuza 7 and many others to partake in online discussions about corporate acquisitions.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
At least Sunset Overdrive is fun, can't say the same for The Order if i'm being honest.

Good setting and graphics, but the rest is mediocre.

I'm all in for another Sunset Overdrive.

To be fair, Sunset Overdrive basically turned into Spidey. They took ideas and mechanics from SO and wrapped them up in an IP with way more wide appeal - the whole "ugly, stinky-looking punk rocker" aesthetic of the actual SO just really doesn't have a lot of reach, especially compared to fuckin' Spider-Man.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
A Twisted Metal Battle Royale would definitely be possible on PS5. It would be cool to see all the past drivers come back and the new ones that will be made.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Twisted Metal Battle Royale would definitely be possible on PS5. It would be cool to see all the past drivers come back and the new ones that will be made.
Yeah but I don't want a Twisted Metal Online-only game. I want a story-mode too, just like in Twisted Metal Black, where every character has an intro video and an ending video. One of the reasons why Twisted Metal PS3 didn't come close to the awesomeness that was TM: Black.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
So the new thread civil war is
Sunset Overdrive stans VS The Order stans?

I'm down, certainly more than Sony is down with funding another AAA from the studio that brought us The Order.

Someone has to be the toxic Kat avatar, and that is my role in this thread...
And I, like MCU's SM, am torn between both sides. I love both games equally, but for very different reasons. However, the PS5's SSD could change the way RaD would design its sequel if they were given a chance by SIE to "fix" things. The possibility of significantly less or no forced corridor section could exponentially increase the scope and allow them to focus on the combat encounters and TPS mechanics. Imagine an open-ended White Chapel-size area where you Lycans and Vampires alike

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I can't say anything about Sunset Overdrive until I actually play them though.

You know.

A PS4 port. 😏

I doubt I'll ever buy an Xbox or build a PC.

All I got are YouTube videos of the game; how it looks, plays, sounds, etc.

I definitely wouldn't mind buy it, if it happens.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
People exaggerate how much actually changed. Overstrike only ever got a CG trailer and it featured the abilities that actually made it into the final product. Fuse got a slightly more realistic style and that's about it as far as proven changes go compared to Overstrike.

Nothing suggests that Overstrike would have been some sort of amazing game that was ruined due to EA's focus testing. Insomniac made a mediocre game for once and we can't really blame anyone else. I thought it was fairly enjoyable personally in co-op.
This is true, can't really argue with it.

The tonal change did feel like whiplash though imo, and felt so ill-fitting for an Insom game of this type (I know the Resistance games did the gritty tone well).

I'd definitely take a co-op shooter with unique hero's from them, as long as they stuck to the type of tone of their other 3rd person games.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Remember this? Some positive news about SIE.... ~7 months ago:

Sony Interactive Entertainment to Acquire Insomniac Games, Developer of PlayStation®4 Top-selling Marvel’s Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank

SAN MATEO, Calif., August 19, 2019 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”) announced today that SIE has entered into definitive agreements to acquire Insomniac Games, Inc. (“Insomniac Games”), a leading game developer and long-time partner of SIE, in its entirety. Insomniac Games is the...

Good times.

Its-Been-84-Years.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say anything about Sunset Overdrive until I actually play them though.

You know.

A PS4 port. 😏

I doubt I'll ever buy an Xbox or build a PC.

All I got are YouTube videos of the game; how it looks, plays, sounds, etc.

I definitely wouldn't mind buy it, if it happens.
XCloud would be the cheapest option to play it once that's out of beta, but of course the experience would be highly dependent on your closest xCloud server and your internet.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Excluding VR games, I hope Insomniac finally embracing 60fps again.

Especially with PS5's Zen 2 whatever.

I doubt for Spider-Man sequel, but at least next Ratchet should be/have options for 60fps.

I'm fine with just 1080, no 4k, no Ray Tracing, lower LOD, etc, just please, give us options...

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
You really think "technical limitations" are what held that game back?
I'm sure to some extent it did...

Along with poor design, poor writing, poor gameplay choices, stealth sections, boring weapons outside of like two....in a fucking Steampunk-horror hybrid game, quick time event boss batles, sequel baiting, stupid enemy AI, forgettable supporting cast...

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
You really think "technical limitations" are what held that game back?
Given that they spent so much time to make sure their engine runs smoothly (or at least as smooth possible) on the base PS4, I would say yes. The black bars are not there just for artistic reasons. They were building their new engine as they were working on the game. So, I assume they were integrating features as they were developing the game. RaD are great developers. The Lone Echo series (main games+spinoff) proves that.

Last edited:

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Sony will need to find new partners specially when game take more and more time to make. GenDesign and Remedy could have been a good choice but it's not gonna happen with the time goes on it's gonna be more difficult for Sony to find studios that can bring them good content.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Sony will react because content is more important than ever.

Even if i liked some of the games of Japan Studio from the past decade but for me their strategy is not good enough. Sony will probably not buy any japanese studios and it's not like there is really good candidates so Japan Studios has to close the gap they need to make game that make a great impact (Astro Bot was one).

It could be great to see Japan studio making horror game, platformer or even JRPG and it will bring something new to the First-Party of PlayStation.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I don't want a Twisted Metal Online-only game. I want a story-mode too, just like in Twisted Metal Black, where every character has an intro video and an ending video. One of the reasons why Twisted Metal PS3 didn't come close to the awesomeness that was TM: Black.
It doesn't have to be either or. You can have both. It would just be insane to not have a battle royale mode in a Twisted Metal game. 100 cars speeding around trying to kill eachother in wacky, crazy ways. It would be fantastic.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
The Order 100% would've been the same game regardless of the storage medium. We have plenty of other games this gen that aren't as linear and restrictive as The Order.
You are right because it would have still been on the base PS4 and in 2015. As for the other games you mention, they were made by teams bigger than what RaD was when they were working on The Order to be fair and they also had 5/6+ years of expertise working with the current gen systems. PS4 was RaD's first console to work with since the port of Okami to Wii. They were almost as big as Bend (if not a bit bigger) when they worked on it.

Context matters and is important to mention and remember.

Last edited:

Dragun

Oct 30, 2017
I'll pose a question:

After the almost guaranteed Spider-Man and Ratchet sequels, what would everyone like to see Insomniac work on?

I'd love to see them revisit the cancelled Monster Knight concept. Such a cool idea that seemed overly ambitious for the early PS2 era. I'd love to have more family-friendly but genuinely great games kind of like Ratchet.

A New IP. After the Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank sequels of course.

Haven't played Sunset Overdrive but watching it, I'd honestly question why do a SO sequel when essentially all those mechanics has already evolved through Spider-Man. Feels like asking Insomniac to go back and re-tread the same ground again but with punk aesthetics. Might as well go back further and do an FPS instead.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony will need to find new partners specially when game take more and more time to make. GenDesign and Remedy could have been a good choice but it's not gonna happen with the time goes on it's gonna be more difficult for Sony to find studios that can bring them good content.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Sony will react because content is more important than ever.

Even if i liked some of the games of Japan Studio from the past decade but for me their strategy is not good enough. Sony will probably not buy any japanese studios and it's not like there is really good candidates so Japan Studios has to close the gap they need to make game that make a great impact (Astro Bot was one).

It could be great to see Japan studio making horror game, platformer or even JRPG and it will bring something new to the First-Party of PlayStation.

Yeah. That's the worry - the longer this goes on, the less and less options there are even going to be. If they won't grow Japan Studio and they won't buy more teams, I'm not really sure what their plan is.

As much as I dislike Jim Ryan I CAN'T believe his leadership strategy is just "fuck it, keep doing exactly what we were doing this gen but with less games". If games are taking longer and longer to make they're going to have bigger and more frequent gaps in their release calendar. They have to prepare for that, and the best way to do that is to have enough studios on rotation that they don't go six to eight months at a time without any major new releases.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

People have been saying in the past two years that Sony doesn't need to react to anything as they're the market leaders, and the current Sony seems to have that mindset as well... So I don't think anything will change in the next two or three years.

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
I would just ask that we wait until the PS5 software showcase before making judgements on Sony's choices (or lack there of) on partners. Lets give a bit of grace, shall we?

Or is that too unreasonable and me being a corporate mouthpiece?

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
At this point, I wholly recommend people start buying Nintendo consoles along with their PS5 if quality 1st-party Japanese software is what you want.

Sony is dedicated to their in-house Western studios, so it's time to stop expecting them to do anything notable with their JP teams.
People has been saying in the past two years that Sony doesn't need to react to anything as they're the market leaders, and the current Sony seems to have that mindset as well... So I don't think anything will change in the next two or three years.
That would be a sign of complacency.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
People has been saying in the past two years that Sony doesn't need to react to anything as they're the market leaders, and the current Sony seems to have that mindset as well... So I don't think anything will change in the next two or three years.

But they did. They recently bought Insomniac.That didn't happen 4 or 5 years ago. If there's a developer synonym with content is them.

Now, I think they should try and snatch up Bluepoint and Housemarque, but I don't even know if they want to sell or what.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
I would just ask that we wait until the PS5 software showcase before making judgements on Sony's choices (or lack there of) on partners. Lets give a bit of grace, shall we?

You sound like a corporate apologist and I think your statement is anti-consumer as well!!!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I think we all know the PS5 software showcase will be mostly, if not entirely, sequels to the big PS4 games.

Horizon 2 and God of War: Thor's Judgment are pretty much foregone conclusions at this point. Given the teams they have who have been working on new games long enough to announce anything, there really isn't any room for surprises.

Feb 26, 2018
Sony obviously ain't reacting on anything. They have the money but they dont want to spend it. I guess when ps3 situation repeats itself Sony gonna be taught a lesson by its competitors

Laziness

Apr 19, 2018
XCloud would be the cheapest option to play it once that's out of beta, but of course the experience would be highly dependent on your closest xCloud server and your internet.
And on a hardware to some extent still, is in not? Tbh I haven't dig into streaming that much, because almost none of those services are available in my country, but we have a Gforce now-whatever thing and while they're advertising it as "hey, play EVRYWHERE and on EVERYTHING", this thing requires a Windows 10 PC with a specific bottom-line hardware, like, I can't use it, my PC is not powerful enough, it can run Hearthstone, lol, ~2014-2015 games, but not this "future streaming service". Soooo, I hope XClous is not the same, kinda promoting "just have a whatever devise with a screen and you good to go", but then ops, your PC is too weak, your phone is too weak, go buy some hardware, etc. Maybe I'm wrong and it's literally impossible to make those things work on a weak 10YO hardware at all, then my bad ofc.

Oct 25, 2017
I think we all know the PS5 software showcase will be mostly, if not entirely, sequels to the big PS4 games.

Horizon 2 and God of War: Thor's Judgment are pretty much foregone conclusions at this point. Given the teams they have who have been working on new games long enough to announce anything, there really isn't any room for surprises.

Youu are leaving out potential partners like Housemarque and Arrowhead. And of course Bluepoint. Japan Studio should have something ready to show too. Or is this game called just assume the worst because it's fun?

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019

That's why I said partners, as in partnerships with other non FP studios that could perhaps one day become part of SIE. Again, lets try to at least wait for the games to be shown before passing judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.