• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said partners, as in partnerships with other non FP studios that could perhaps one day become part of SIE. Again, lets try to at least wait for the games to be shown before passing judgement.

I'd rather expect to be disappointed and maybe be pleasantly surprised than expect the best and get kicked in the face with disappointment for the hundredth time. I don't see there being any studios left within Sony that could announce anything special (this year, at least), and there aren't even any particularly notable ones left to "partner" with either.

If they surprise me, great. But I've been given zero reason to believe they will as of late.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
You are right because it would have still been on the base PS4 and in 2015. As for the other games you mention, they were made by teams bigger than what RaD was when they were working on The Order to be fair and they also had 5/6+ years of expertise working with the current gen systems. PS4 was RaD's first console to work with since the port of Okami to Wii. They were almost as big as Bend (if not a bit bigger) when they worked on it.

Context matters and is important to mention and remember.
Sure. But as has been said, that was the game they wanted to make. I actually really liked The Order, by the way, and I don't see linearity as a negative, but TO has other shortcomings that I don't think was a result of team size or being an early current gen game.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
wow, all the doom and gloom here.
Sony hasn't been sitting down since 2018 guys.

We still have PS4 games coming, which the competition doesn't. Also...Sony doesn't need to make all the noise they are doing because they are still selling even if not as much.
I wouldn't expect anything special until end June honestly.

Oct 25, 2017
wow, all the doom and gloom here.
Sony hasn't been sitting down since 2018 guys.

We still have PS4 games coming, which the competition doesn't. Also...Sony doesn't need to make all the noise they are doing because they are still selling even if not as much.
I wouldn't expect anything special until end June honestly.
But switch and Xbox do got stuff com....nvm let me let y'all war in here back to pirate warriors 4

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the gloomy chat? Outside of Gendesign being contracted with Epic Games for their next title (Which was not entirely surprising, they're an independent studio) I don't see the fuss.

I reckon major announcements will be held back for the time while everyone figures out how the hell to deal with the pandemic.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Sony obviously ain't reacting on anything. They have the money but they dont want to spend it. I guess when ps3 situation repeats itself Sony gonna be taught a lesson by its competitors

Do you have any insider knowledge or how do you know what Sony is doing right know, which partnerships they are fostering and which games they are funding?

People will know in due time what Sony is up to. Patience is a virtue.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I reckon major announcements will be held back for the time while everyone figures out how the hell to deal with the pandemic.

And why only Sony has to plan everything and wait for the "pandemic situation to resolve"? Epic just announced three big partnerships, Stadia announced the creation of a new studio less than a month ago, THQ Nordic acquired more studios as usual.

Oct 31, 2017
They're probably working with some. It's a question tho of how many of these are gonna turn into another ND, and most importantly how long is it gonna take them? The competition is getting more fierce than ever, and Sony need their exclusive to hit harder than ever too. working with some unknown developer is not only risky but takes a long time. Something Sony might not be afford next gen. There's a shorter more assured path that Sony can afford, but they are not taking (at least not yet).

We don't know, but it's kind of a weird thing to worry about, you know? Like, there's only one Kojima, but a partnership with him gets overlooked over Miyazaki, who they just worked with less than two years ago.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Sony just buy BluePoint so everyone bar PlanetSmasher could be happy and breath a sigh of relief

5b42e36c700e3_raw.gif

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
While the Insomniac acquistion was a major get for Sony and a surprising one considering Insomniac reportedly had denied being bought before. I would guess negotiations between them 2 couldn't have been too difficult considering how close they've been for decades. So I do wonder if SIE has it in them to buy a studio that isn't as close as Insomniac was.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
And why only Sony has to plan everything and wait for the "pandemic situation to resolve"? Epic just announced three big partnerships, Stadia announced the creation of a new studio less than a month ago, THQ Nordic acquired more studios as usual.
Because they're not ready. Jesus, Sony has its own way to work. Why are you being so mad at it? Sony just put out Dreams and Nioh, two well-received games, RE3 is coming with exclusive marketing deal, FFR coming too with a timed-exclusive deal. There's tons of stuff coming to PS players and you still act like Sony isn't doing anything just because they're not releasing the info you want? Honestly, go play some games and chill.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to be either or. You can have both. It would just be insane to not have a battle royale mode in a Twisted Metal game. 100 cars speeding around trying to kill eachother in wacky, crazy ways. It would be fantastic.
Correct. Like I said, I want a SP mode, too. Take a look at the SP mode in TM: Black. It's not like you have to create a lot of new animations, boss fights, etc. like in those big AAA SP games ala God of War or Uncharted. It's just driving and shooting round after round after round and then two or three cut-scenes for each character. You don't even need a big team for a next-gen Twisted Metal game like TM: Black.

Last edited:

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the Insomniac acquistion was a major get for Sony and a surprising one considering Insomniac reportedly had denied being bought before. I would guess negotiations between them 2 couldn't have been too difficult considering how close they've been for decades. So I do wonder if SIE has it in them to buy a studio that isn't as close as Insomniac was.
I think it depends how much they're feeling the pressure from the competition (Microsoft, Google). If a bunch of studios continue to get snapped up by rivals, they might feel like they need to respond since they'll be losing 3rd party support.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
/dead

which Studio would you love for Sony to buy?

you can be as unrealistic as you want (even big companies)

I don't even know. Most of the companies still making decent games are already spoken for, and buying something like Capcom or Square would be stupid because they'd have to fire a TON of people in their crossmedia wings, especially Square. I don't want Sony to do a hostile takeover that would result in a bunch of people losing their jobs.

It would've been ideal for them to partner with From, but the chance of that happening died years ago. More than anything I just want them to have a team on budget that can make some damn RPGs for them. Sony should not be the ONLY first party with no first party RPG franchises.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The only developer Sony should buy is Hello Games, and nobody is talking about it.

- made a successful original ip
- proven successful financially
- loves to make original games
- small enough won't break the bank
- does vr and gaas
I think BP is still the better choice but hey I wouldn't be angry if that happened

after BP of course :P

May 17, 2018
I know this is me reading into things too much, but, is it weird that Cory B. seems to mostly interact with Xbox on Twitter more than PS?

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I'd like Sony to be more aggressive some here are being ridiculous. How many more studio do you want them to buy ?

ND: AAA
SSM: AAA
Guerrilla:AAA
Polyphony:AAA
Bend:AAA
Insomniac: AAA
Sucker Punch:AAA
San Diego: AAA
Media Molecule: AA
JP studio: AA
Pixel Opus: AA
London Studio: AA

That's basically 6 or 7 AAA studios and studio like Insomniac and Guerrilla (with the second team) are very efficient and will be able to release a big game every 2 o 3 years. Honnestly they don't need more that 1 or 2 more studios and we don't even know about that rumoured "Uncharted" studio.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
And why we still have the right to of "I think we will not have any new information for the end of the Covid19 epidemic situation" when we just had news during the epidemic, just when people start saying that ?

Do you never learn ?

Frankly it's exasperating.

We have now proof nobody is able to predic when both Sony and Microsoft will talk.

We have now proof they follow their calendar no matter what the other do or the global situation go.

But you're still guessing the same old sh**

Gosh... Give us a break !

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know. Most of the companies still making decent games are already spoken for, and buying something like Capcom or Square would be stupid because they'd have to fire a TON of people in their crossmedia wings, especially Square. I don't want Sony to do a hostile takeover that would result in a bunch of people losing their jobs.

It would've been ideal for them to partner with From, but the chance of that happening died years ago. More than anything I just want them to have a team on budget that can make some damn RPGs for them. Sony should not be the ONLY first party with no first party RPG franchises.
maybe they can make a studio from scratch then

the idea here is you want a particular genre and passion for said genre

so far I see no Studio up for that (unless it was some unlikely purchase which is really slim)

I for one (even though you're opposed to it) want BP since I feel even though they are only making remakes now (this next one apparently they are taking some liberties with) are a golden egg that will hatch at any moment

and need the best nurturing and acquirement before then (like how they bough Pixelopus)

I feel after this Demon Souls remake BP is going to get even better and eventually it will be too late for Sony to do anything about it

they run away like FromSoftware

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Correct. Like I said, I want a SP, too. Take a look at the SP mode in TM: Black. It's not like you have to create a lot of new animations, boss fights, etc. like in those big AAA SP games ala God of War or Uncharted. It's just driving and shooting round after round after round and then two or three cut-scenes for each character. You don't even need a big team for a next-gen Twisted Metal game like TM: Black.
Like I said before, get Housemarque to do it. They'll be perfect for a Twisted Metal game.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Because they're not ready. Jesus, Sony has its own way to work. Why are you being so mad at it? Sony just put out Dreams and Nioh, two well-received games, RE3 is coming with exclusive marketing deal, FFR coming too with a timed-exclusive deal. There's tons of stuff coming to PS players and you still act like Sony isn't doing anything just because they're not releasing the info you want? Honestly, go play some games and chill.

So you just confirmed that Sony does their thing and don't react to what happens in the market.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maybe they can make a studio from scratch then

the idea here is you want a particular genre and passion for said genre

so far I see no Studio up for that (unless it was some unlikely purchase which is really slim)

I for one (even though your opposed to it) want BP since I feel even though they are only making remakes now (this next one apparently they are taking some liberties with) are a golden egg that will hatch at any moment

and need the best nurturing and acquirement before then (like how they bough Pixelopus)

I feel after this Demon Souls remake BP is going to get even better and eventually it will be too late for Sony to do anything about it

they run away like FromSoftware

Like I said, if they make an entirely new game and it's awesome, cool. Lock them down.

But I hope for both of our sakes their next project isn't "reimagining" Demon's Souls. I can't take even more disappointment.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before, get Housemarque to do it. They'll be perfect for a Twisted Metal game.
True. Their style would fit perfectly. Too bad most of the time all these studios want to make their own IPs.
But I hope for both of our sakes their next project isn't "reimagining" Demon's Souls. I can't take even more disappointment.
It will be the "re-imagination Demon's Souls" remake. So prepare yourself to ignore the announcement thread. Because I can give you the answer to your "who wants to play a Demon's Sould Remake not made by From Software" right now: Me!

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, if they make an entirely new game and it's awesome, cool. Lock them down. \

How about if the re imagine some old Sony JRPG like Legend of Dragoon?

I feel BP has a bunch of eyes looking at it and after this PS5 game (likely DS) then some other companies will try and snag them or fund their next game even if it is a new IP

so I think for me at least it is better for Sony to acquire them now and then let them do whatever they want after said acquirement with complete Sony first party backing

since I at least feel BP even if they make a new IP one day won't be like "let's make a depressing third person action game" like some other Sony WWS feel like doing when they think "New IP"

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How about if the re imagine some old Sony JRPG like Legend of Dragoon?

I feel BP has a bunch of eyes looking at it and after this PS5 game (likely DS) then some other companies will try and snag them or fund their next game even if it is a new IP

so I think for me at least it is better for Sony to acquire them now and then let them do whatever they want after said acquirement with complete Sony first party backing

since I at least feel BP even if they make a new IP one day won't be like "let's make a depressing third person action game" like some other Sony WWS feel like doing when they think "New IP"

Legend of Dragoon sucked, so I wouldn't really care that much if that was their project. They can do whatever they want with that piece of crap.

Demon's Souls is special to me in a way most games are not. It's the game that let me make my mark as a game writer, it's the game that helped me understand why emergent game design can actually be fun, and it basically created an entire subgenre of action RPGs.

Yes, it's a janky mess and it's got a ton of problems. But I don't see some random Western studio that's never made a game of their own being up to the task of addressing those flaws in a way that IMPROVES it. I'm dreading a Dead Rising 3/Dead Rising 4-level "you completely missed the damn point" if they're given carte blanche to do what they want with it and Miyazaki/From aren't intimately involved in keeping them from going too far.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of Dragoon sucked, so I wouldn't really care that much if that was their project. They can do whatever they want with that piece of crap.

Demon's Souls is special to me in a way most games are not. It's the game that let me make my mark as a game writer, it's the game that helped me understand why emergent game design can actually be fun, and it basically created an entire subgenre of action RPGs.

Yes, it's a janky mess and it's got a ton of problems. But I don't see some random Western studio that's never made a game of their own being up to the task of addressing those flaws in a way that IMPROVES it. I'm dreading a Dead Rising 3/Dead Rising 4-level "you completely missed the damn point" if they're given carte blanche to do what they want with it and Miyazaki/From aren't intimately involved in keeping them from going too far.
okay so it is basically a wait and see with BP

let's hope if indeed they are doing a Demon Soul's remake they blow you away on all fronts

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon definitely getting the next PlayStation Productions love. The world and environment is so rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.