• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Sure. But as has been said, that was the game they wanted to make. I actually really liked The Order, by the way, and I don't see linearity as a negative, but TO has other shortcomings that I don't think was a result of team size or being an early current gen game.
I am sure you are right... 🤔😏

Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Box.jpg

acu_nakedbox_mobile_164378.jpg

It was. In RaD case, if you spread the team too thin on the project, certain things will be impacted for sure (especially if you are the Creative Director and Writer of the game). The devs at RaD currently are not lacking the technological knowledge and expertise to build a better and stronger sequel. Like I said, most of the time and effort they spent on the project was spent on the engine and it shows in the game. It is beautiful and super smooth. And we should commend them for their effort, because they now have a very flexible and powerful in-house engine that qill turn useful for any of their future games.

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I'd like Sony to be more aggressive some here are being ridiculous. How many more studio do you want them to buy ?

ND: AAA (PS5 Third Person Action)
SSM: AAA (PS5 Third Person Action)
Guerrilla:AAA (PS5 Open World RPG/FPS?)
Polyphony:AAA (PS5 Driving Sim/PSVR Support)
Bend:AAA (PS5 Open World Action)
Insomniac: AAA (PS5 Open World/Third Person Action/PSVR Support?)
Sucker Punch:AAA (PS5 Open World Action)
San Diego: AAA (PS5 MLB/Potential New Genre?)
Media Molecule: AA (PS5 Game Creation/PSVR Support)
JP studio: AA (PS5 Various Genres/PSVR Support)
Pixel Opus: AA (PS5 Action Adventure/PSVR Support)
London Studio: AA (PS5/PSVR Support)
Looking at this, I think you are right. That should be good enough for everyone. I'd probably add Bluepoint in the roster as a way to top it off.
I also think PlanetSmasher is right and they are missing an RPG focused studio. I'm hoping Japan Studio will probably join forces with another developer like FromSoft to make something great.

I also think the PSVR support is there but I think they need one more big hitter like:
-RAD (The Order, Lost Echo) but I think they are goners if Lone Echo II is a big success for Oculus.
-Impulse Gear (Farpoint) has been quiet so I could see another partnership incoming.
-I doubt Firesprite (originally Sony Liverpool and makers of The Persistence) would join Sony given how things went but I can also see a continuing partnership given the strong past relationship.
-First Contact (Firewall) is probably going to try make it into VR multiplatform since they have the right ideas to potentially make it big.
-Polyarc (Moss) no idea about this one, they are definitely making a sequel though.
-Enhanced (Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect) is probably a good fit for Sony in general given the recent Cerny talk about 3D audio. I didnt know that they were more than a game publisher.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I am sure you are right... 🤔😏

Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Box.jpg

acu_nakedbox_mobile_164378.jpg

It was.
You are making The Order look even worse. Shadowfall had an entire multiplayer , and a coop mode on top of the campaign. Unity was a massive open world game. Both had multiplayer components.

The Order was a 4 hour tech demo that could not even justify half of it's run time. Best part, The Order came out AFTER both of those games, with lower reviews across the board.

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
Sony having Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch is like the all holy trinity for me. I don't care if they don't buy another studio in 10 years as long as those 3 are under wraps. And that's not to mention the other great studios they have.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
You are making The Order look even worse. Shadowfall had an entire multiplayer , and a coop mode on top of the campaign. Unity was a massive open world game. Both had multiplayer components.

The Order was a 4 hour tech demo that could not even justify half of it's run time. Best part, The Order came out AFTER both of those games, with lower reviews across the board.
Two games made by very huge teams when compared to RaD's team when they were working on The Order. My point with these comparisons was to bring up the fact that being an early gen title and having technical limitations can affect a game's overall quality. The reasons why these games had multiplayer components is due to these studios having larger team. If you had cut the team of these two games to the level of RaD mid-The-Order while they were being made, their quality would have been impacted too and I strongly believe major features they currently have would have been cut too.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony having Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch is like the all holy trinity for me. I don't care if they don't buy another studio in 10 years as long as those 3 are under wraps. And that's not to mention the other great studios they have.
lol Insomniac, Naughty Dog and Sucker are indeed the holy PS2 Trinity

too bad only one of them kept the nostalgia

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I am curious if Concrete Genie did well enough for Pixelopus to build upon, I know it didn't sell all that great but here's hoping the team is kept around and they are gradually built up to become a creative powerhouse for Sony.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
People have been saying in the past two years that Sony doesn't need to react to anything as they're the market leaders, and the current Sony seems to have that mindset as well... So I don't think anything will change in the next two or three years.
They don't really needed to react for the past two years but if Sony doesn't see that right now things are moving really fast and the competition is more fiecer to work with studios when they have new publisher like Epic who gave this kind of deal or Microsoft who is in a better shape than ever.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Most of it is just tech talk. Probably the thing that people would be most interested in is that he talks about how his source said that Sony feels that unveiling the console itself at a special reveal event would have more impact. It'll be an event where the pricing and games are also shown. He goes on to say that the design itself is supposed to be "innovative" in a way that people would be skeptical of whether Sony could even mass produce it. Because of that Sony wants to reveal it as a retail model and not just a mockup shell. And no, it's not the V design of the devkit.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR

- Sony believes that revealing the console at a special event along with price, games, etc. would have more impact, but they are afraid that people will not believe that they will manage to mass producuce it.
- The look of the console is very innovative, and that's exactly why people would doubt that they would be able to mass produce it.
- Sony does not want to show the console that was made as a model, but the final version that will be produced in the factories.
- Sony's games are not ready enough to be shown to the public.
- Sony apparently is not going to fully use AMD's ray tracing "system", but a version developed by themselves.
- Ray Tracing on PS5 will generate fewer rays than Series X (because it has fewer CUs), but as the GPU runs at a higher clock, it will be possible to calculate more rays at the same time resulting in better de-noise.
- Sony will push VRS really hard on VR.
- Developers believe that publishing the "Road To PS5" video to the public was a mistake.
- Both consoles are far more powerful than people think.
- There is still a small possibility of changes in the hardware on both consoles (increased frequencies and so on)

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

LBP was a AAA game, no?

I don't count MM as a double A studio. MM role within SIE seems more about diversity and innovation. That said, the quality of their IP is beyond AA. While Dreams had a short campaign those visuals

giphy.gif

I played Sunset when I got my One X. Not bad, not great. Thought it was just ok.

Different games with different appeals for certain. But the technical DNA, especially in the traversal, is pretty clear in my humble opinion of course. They just elevated that technical know how for Spider-Man.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
- Sony believes that revealing the console at a special event along with price, games, etc. would have more impact, but they are afraid that people will not believe that they will manage to mass producuce it.
- The look of the console is very innovative, and that's exactly why people would doubt that they would be able to mass produce it.
- Sony does not want to show the console that was made as a model, but the final version that will be produced in the factories.
- Sony apparently is not going to fully use AMD's ray tracing "system", but a version developed by themselves.
- Ray Tracing on PS5 will generate fewer rays than Series X (because it has fewer CUs), but as the GPU runs at a higher clock, it will be possible to calculate more rays at the same time resulting in better de-noise.
- Developers believe that publishing the "Road To PS5" video to the public was a mistake.
- There is still a small possibility of changes in the hardware on both consoles (increased frequencies and so on)
A bunch of nothing mixed with no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Sunset when I got my One X. Not bad, not great. Thought it was just ok.
My only real negative with the game is the tower-defense segments, just felt repetitive after a while and I've never been a fan of tower-defense gameplay.

Moving around the environment and using all of the weapons that felt like they were plucked out of Ratchet and Clank was fun though.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
My only real negative with the game is the tower-defense segments, just felt repetitive after a while and I've never been a fan of tower-defense gameplay.

Moving around the environment and using all of the weapons that felt like they were plucked out of Ratchet and Clank was fun though.
Yeah, those tower defense sections are my biggest negative. I also wish the traversal was quicker. I'm probably in the minority, but I think you move too slow in SO.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
One thing Sony could improve lately is their communication like Horizon coming to PC, it's not a bad thing because it will help the IP grow even if at some point people could ask do i really need to buy a PS5 if their game are releasing on PC but i don't know if Hulst could have giving a more vague answer than this one. He said it will be case by case but that mean that their bigger games will release on PC ? Layden said he could see their multiplayer game coming to PC but Horizon is a SP game. So we are like totally in the dark with the strategy from Sony with the PC like is gonna be only the PS4 games or also the PS5 ones because if a First-Party game come to PC does it mean that this game could not truly be optimized for the SSD on the PS5 because the SSD on PC will not be same ?

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope you're good man.

The worst part is the not knowing. I had kind of a massive anxiety attack last night and I can't tell if all the shit going on with my body is my system freaking out post-emotional trauma or if I actually have the virus.

What's worse is I damaged one of my chest muscles from coughing about a month ago and have had a lingering cough ever since, and I can't tell if this is just THAT or something more serious. Anxiety on top of anxiety!

Deleted member 57361

Banned
Jun 2, 2019
What kind of alien design would Sony do to make people believe in that? Other topics are believable, but this one is ????

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
Any guesses on when the "tear down" that Cerny mentioned will be? Will it be part of the reveal or released before/after?

I hope we get to see more of the PS5 and get the full details. Also I'm too excited about the WWS games and how they're utilizing the PS5 architecture.

Feb 8, 2018

If VRS means Variable rate shading that's the first time i'm reading about it in relation with the PS5. That wouldn't be surprising since some of the techniques will likely be similar to XSX. Not sure about the other points such as - Sony's games are not ready enough to be shown to the public .I think there are other reasons for that I can't imagine 1st party content not showing a clear difference by now.

Last edited:

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
Studio Japan gets a lot of undeserved flak and it seems to boil down to them simply not making the types of games people personally want. I'd argue they had one of the better generations out of Sony's crop in terms of quality and output: Gravity Rush 2, Astro Bot, The Last Guardian and collaborated on Bloodborne, Everybody's Golf, Freedom Wars, etc. Honorable mention to Puppeteer which should have been a PS4 launch title.

Factoring their internal devs and external group, we're probably getting due for their next wave of games and I'm looking forward to it.
Same I actually dont understand the hate. They released some of my favourites this gen and probably the best 3D platformer this gen (yes I even include odyssey)

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first 2 points are absurd, I also find it hilarious how Sony would be worried about random people not believing if they could manufacture the ps5.

The other points any body and there grandma could have guessed buy following rumors and speculations.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Any guesses on when the "tear down" that Cerny mentioned will be? Will it be part of the reveal or released before/after?

I hope we get to see more of the PS5 and get the full details. Also I'm too excited about the WWS games and how they're utilizing the PS5 architecture.
I think it makes more sense if the tear-down of the console is after the reveal event.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
GR2 went out like a wet fart. TLG was a partner project with Gen Design which I exclude from this discussion. Astro Bot is really all I can think of that they have done internally that actually stands out.

No they have like 400 employees. Maybe not all game devs, but neither are all the employees at Naughty Dog. It's staggering how irrelevant they are for that size.
Why because it didnt sell a shit ton of copies. God I would think an ENTHUSIAST forum would know that a quality of a game isnt measured by its sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.