• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
If Sony bought them...
aacl2LX.png

Now that would be hype!

You really are king of the rats.
It's like that old saying, if you have the fame you better get the benefits!

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Falcom is really the only company making JRPGs that I know will be quality.

Its quite a shame, JRPGs were my favorite games to play, but now they are mostly highschool fanservice simulators.
Dear god............ it's a shame jrpgs are high school fanservice sims, but Falcom of all developers gets a pass in this aspect 😆!?

I just finally got over the hump in DQ11 and still can't believe how good this game is..

Falcom would not be a good fit for WWS, maybe with the help of Japan Studios they could make magic but if that didn't happen yet Falcom is nowhere near on the table to be bought or even in consideration.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stoked to play Dreams, I'm on a gaming depression phase right now just because I'm waiting for it.

I have a cure for your gaming depression. Stay out of all the next gen spec debates threads. Game instead of waiting for news and remember that the last post on pastebin was a tech guide on how to convert a Delorian into a viable time machine.

TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-07.jpg

Side note: The anon source also said we make first contact with an alien race within the next two weeks.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Gaming depression? Play Concrete Genie ^_^

I have a cure for your gaming depression. Stay out of all the next gen spec debates thread. Game instead of waiting for news and remember that the last post on pastebin was a tech guide on how to convert a Delorian into a viable time machine.

TeamTimeCar.com-BTTF_DeLorean_Time_Machine-OtoGodfrey.com-JMortonPhoto.com-07.jpg

The anon source also said we make first contact with an alien race with the next two weeks.

Lol I'm not on any of those threads.
I've been playing KH3 on critical but after 30hs I felt tired of action games (played Kakarot for 75hs just before that). I realized just now that I abandoned KH3 (been watching Ghibli movies on Netflix as well) and can't spend money on games right now because I need to save for vacations next month.

I do have some games I could be playing but I'm on that time where you just want what's ahead of you.

I'll survive. ;)

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Dear god............ it's a shame jrpgs are high school fanservice sims, but Falcom of all developers gets a pass in this aspect 😆!?

I just finally got over the hump in DQ11 and still can't believe how good this game is..

Falcom would not be a good fit for WWS, maybe with the help of Japan Studios they could make magic but if that didn't happen yet Falcom is nowhere near on the table to be bought or even in consideration.
Took like 3 hours before someone pulled up with the hot takes... This is progress!

Acquisition inbound any day my dudes!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I'm not on any of those threads.
I've been playing KH3 on critical but after 30hs I felt tired of action games (played Kakarot for 75hs just before that). I realized just now that I abandoned KH3 (been watching Ghibli movies on Netflix as well) and can't spend money on games right now because I need to save for vacations next month.

I do have some games I could be playing but I'm on that time where you just want what's ahead of you.

I'll survive. ;)

Stay strong brother!

I have a fuuny feeling that that gaming itch will return while your on vacation.

Oct 25, 2017
I have a cure for your gaming depression. Stay out of all the next gen spec debates threads. Game instead of waiting for news and remember that the last post on pastebin was a tech guide on how to convert a Delorian into a viable time machine.

Side note: The anon source also said we make first contact with an alien race within the next two weeks.
So you're saying the only reason we don't know more about PS5 and its games are because no one has build a Delorean time machine yet?
iu

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you're saying the only reason we don't know more about PS5 and its games are because no one has build a Delorean time machine yet?
iu

Fam!

The wildest things are posted on pastebin. Fuck a next gen spec leak. I've seen lotto numbers posted there weeks in advance. Euro millions is anywhere between 30 -100 million. If Pastebin is correct, I'll be up a few M's.

Imma take that and invest directly into Sony and come back with legit and real specific insider info to calm our collective nerves.

Pastebin 4 lyfe!

Oct 25, 2017
Fam!

The wildest things are posted on pastebin. Fuck a next gen spec leak. I've seen lotto numbers posted there weeks in advance. Euro millions is anywhere between 30 -100 million. If Pastebin is correct, I'll be up a few M's.

Imma take that and invest directly into Sony and come back with legit and real specific insider info to calm our collective nerves.

Pastebin 4 lyfe!
This is great, Operation ResetEra Mole in action.

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I would say yes, even with cold steel. Its less of a highschool setting and more of an academy to teach combat, technique and mental fortitude. Less on the harem aspect even though there is minor fan service like bathing suits for ng+ etc its pretty much optional (which is great for people looking for that kind of stuff)

Then you got Ys which is one of the best series ever. <3

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Mid-tier JRPGs isn't really an important genre to invest in. Not saying they can't collaborate with some studio on a new Wild Arms or Alundra but paying out the ass to buy a mid-sized JRPG studio does not feel like an important investment. Sony's biggest internal weakness, commercially speaking, is probably that they don't have any big online game plus that they definitely need to invest in VR if they want PS VR 2 to take off. Most of the top selling and most played third party games on PlayStation are multiplayer focused but Sony has been all about the singleplayer this gen. Multiplayer could be a great fit for PS Now too where Sea of Thieves and Forza Horizon are consistently among the most played games on the rival's similar service. Multiplayer games keep people engaged for a longer time and thus, forces long term commitment to subscription services.

What's Falcom gonna do for Sony? Make a new Wild Arms that sells 1/10th of a western AAA game like Days Gone? Make Ys and Legend of Heroes exclusives when PlayStation is already getting these games and it seems Sony might be moving away from keeping their games exclusive to their consoles anyway?

Could Falcom help Sony win Japan? The country where even our previous western example Days Gone sold more than every Ys or Legend of Heroes game except the ancient Ao no kiseki (PSP) according to Famitsu/Game Data Library. Falcom is not a particularly popular developer, not anywhere. Regardless of our opinion on their games. I don't think they would help much at all.

/"hot take"

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
You honestly think Sony is going to buy Falcom cause you willed it in to existence? Your post is the definition of a hot take lol

Tbh I think I was one if the first people to even insinuate the acquisition of Falcom in this thread.
Sony is not buying shit for a WHIIIIILE, it's just having a bit of fun with the "Sony has no JRPG" running gag in this thread.

I think we all know, that the only acquisition we could possibly get in the next couple of years, is Bluepoint. But hey, we have to fill the empty space between now and PS5 news somehow.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Sony is not buying shit for a WHIIIIILE, it's just having a bit of fun with the "Sony has no JRPG" running gag in this thread.

I think we all know, that the only acquisition we could possibly get in the next couple of years, is Bluepoint. But hey, we have to fill the empty space between now and PS5 news somehow.
We're gonna hear about at least 1 acquisition this year. Won't be Falcom though.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I would say yes, even with cold steel. Its less of a highschool setting and more of an academy to teach combat, technique and mental fortitude. Less on the harem aspect even though there is minor fan service like bathing suits for ng+ etc its pretty much optional (which is great for people looking for that kind of stuff)

Then you got Ys which is one of the best series ever. <3
I feel you.. but if I'm not mistaken there's a fuck ton of said fan service dlc for the series too! I'm trying muster up the strength to finish the first trails so I can finally play 3.

And Yes I agree and love Ys.
But I'm a Dragon Quest fanboy. My favorite jrpg series.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Look, going outside of fun speculation. We should let go of the hope that Sony will chase after Microsoft or Google type strategies when it comes to expanding SIE.... They are just going a different route
You're right. Sony's style has always been to buy studios they work close with. Bluepoint, Housemarque, and Kojima Productions all fit the mold quite well. I definitely feel we will hear about Sony acquiring one of these studios sometime this year.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
You're right. Sony's style has always been to buy studios they work close with. Bluepoint, Housemarque, and Kojima Productions all fit the mold quite well. I definitely feel we will hear about Sony acquiring one of these studios sometime this year.
I see it this way, Jim Ryan has said that buying studios is really tricky not only because it's damn expensive, but because there are a LOT of examples of acquisitions just not working out. Ryan and Hulst are not stupid, they know just how many studios have closed down under SIE's watch, and know damn well if they follow Xbox's trigger happy approach to buyouts, some studios might not work out, leading to more closures. People have been asking for Sony to buy Insomniac for two decades now, not even Kojima can claim he has given Playstation multiple exclusive IPs each generation.

On top of that, if having a long history was enough to warrant a buyout in Sony's eyes, Housemarque should already have been chilling under SIE, instead of leaving their genre behind and making a Hail Mary for AAA development.

Sony plays it safe, and close to the vest, and I don't see that changing.

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
I feel like Bluepoint is a given to be bought at this point, I'm surprised it didn't happen after the critical reception to the SoTC remake. All signs point to Remedy and Housemarque making PS5 exclusives, depending on how those games turn out, they'll probably be on the list as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I see it this way, Jim Ryan has said that buying studios is really tricky not only because it's damn expensive, but because there are a LOT of examples of acquisitions just not working out. Ryan and Hulst are not stupid, they know just how many studios have closed down under SIE's watch, and know damn well if they follow Xbox's trigger happy approach to buyouts, some studios might not work out, leading to more closures. People have been asking for Sony to buy Insomniac for two decades now, not even Kojima can claim he has given Playstation multiple exclusive IPs each generation.

On top of that, if having a long history was enough to warrant a buyout in Sony's eyes, Housemarque should already have been chilling under SIE, instead of leaving their genre behind and making a Hail Mary for AAA development.

Sony plays it safe, and close to the vest, and I don't see that changing.
The comparison wouldn't be with MS anyway because they have two different situations going. Sony has room for a few more strategic buys to fill out their studio lineup.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
The comparison wouldn't be with MS anyway because they have two different situations going. Sony has room for a few more strategic buys to fill out their studio lineup.
Fair enough, but there is an argument to be made that Sony might not want to roll the dice with new studios possibly running themselves into the ground, which is always a risk. Sony might find it safer to pump money into their established studios that want to expand and have proven to be well lead, and have them increase their output. We already know plenty SIE studios are expanding, and doing just that.

Do we roll the dice with a Housemarque acquisition(which I love to death, and would absolutely go to bat for), do we fund another Naughty Dog team, or do we bankroll the next Street Fighter for Capcom? Sony is not always going to have the drive or the resources to do all 3 at once

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Yes I know a ton about Comics and Hulk. I've been/was collecting since I first had pocket money. But I'm talking about the IP in relation to a game. Hulk, Superman, and Thor are godlike. Just in terms of NPC enemies I'm not sure how you create that sense of urgency or adversity that drives a story forward.

You need an infamous first infantry, backed by the first division on their fourth mission... Just to get Hulk's attention.

Let me walk back the insulting part of it. Shouldn't have made the comment that way.

my main point was Kratos is a literal god character and still keeps the moment to moment and grand spectacles in play. So there is definitely a way to do those games. They're just not going to be focused on making player freedom with god characters.

You could put Superman in a game where the big challenges require him overcoming enemies with various forms of kryptonite that effect him differently.

You could follow Thor on his journey to find himself without Mjolnir and learning to use his lightning similar to Ragnarok.

There are definitely ways to make stuff like this gamified without taking them completely out of the comic book element. The same way we've gotten movies and other media to effectively present those characters despite few physical weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.