• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the past month we were told Sony is going to announce a new acquisition, Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC yet Sony have said nothing, showed off a logo and closed down a studio.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I truly believe we hear something good this week. If not, freeze me in carbonite until November.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
When we hit March with 0 PS5 news, i don't even want to think how wild some people are going to get.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, but there is an argument to be made that Sony might not want to roll the dice with new studios possibly running themselves into the ground, which is always a risk. Sony might find it safer to pump money into their established studios that want to expand and have proven to be well lead, and have them increase their output. We already know plenty SIE studios are expanding, and doing just that.

Do we roll the dice with a Housemarque acquisition(which I love to death, and would absolutely go to bat for), do we fund another Naughty Dog team, or do we bankroll the next Street Fighter for Capcom? Sony is not always going to have the drive or the resources to do all 3 at once
I really don't think it is either/or. All of those are possible. They were already in the process of expanding the teams they have, and then the Insomniac acquisition happened afterward. I would expect 1-2 more buys and further reinforcement of their current teams.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I really don't think it is either/or. All of those are possible. They were already in the process of expanding the teams they have, and then the Insomniac acquisition happened afterward. I would expect 1-2 more buys and further reinforcement of their current teams.
I would love to eat crow by the end of the year, but I would rather lean towards a more pessimistic outlook, and not hold out hope just to wind up pissed that SIE is not going down the road i want it to...

Just like yall holding out for a Feb reveal XD

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me walk back the insulting part of it. Shouldn't have made the comment that way.

my main point was Kratos is a literal god character and still keeps the moment to moment and grand spectacles in play. So there is definitely a way to do those games. They're just not going to be focused on making player freedom with god characters.

You could put Superman in a game where the big challenges require him overcoming enemies with various forms of kryptonite that effect him differently.

You could follow Thor on his journey to find himself without Mjolnir and learning to use his lightning similar to Ragnarok.

There are definitely ways to make stuff like this gamified without taking them completely out of the comic book element. The same way we've gotten movies and other media to effectively present those characters despite few physical weaknesses.

There are many ways Superman, Hulk, and Thor's narrative could develop and lend itself to the type of interpretation above. But at the same time, you'd essentially have to create lore to insert vulnerability. That's Pretty much the point I'm making.

When spidey goes to stop a crime he is still vulnerable from the human element. Same with Cap on a mission or Wolverine on the hunt. Essentially the frame work is already there to include a narrative that navigates adversity and vulnerability.

That aside, given how Rocksteady and Insomniac leaned heavily into suits and upgrades I believe that that element is an essential factor. As it's something both studios used to push the narrative, story arc and act by act progression.

If I'm right...

Green Arrow
Black Panther
Forge
Cable

Need to enter the Frey. We still need a studio with the talent and expertise to realize this dream and I'm not exactly sure who SIE would give that task to but I wouldn't be surprised if something is already in the works.

That haptic feedback on the DS5 with Arrows extensive suite of upgrades

giphy.gif

Nov 21, 2017
I think my PS4 is on it's last legs. It keeps shutting off on its own. I really don't want to buy a new PS4 with the PS5 being so close but I still want to play The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima day 1. However I don't think it will last until May.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Fair enough, but there is an argument to be made that Sony might not want to roll the dice with new studios possibly running themselves into the ground, which is always a risk. Sony might find it safer to pump money into their established studios that want to expand and have proven to be well lead, and have them increase their output. We already know plenty SIE studios are expanding, and doing just that.

Do we roll the dice with a Housemarque acquisition(which I love to death, and would absolutely go to bat for), do we fund another Naughty Dog team, or do we bankroll the next Street Fighter for Capcom? Sony is not always going to have the drive or the resources to do all 3 at once
This is why I think, while They still may acquire some studios, Remedy won't be one of em..

Unless some have hard evidence I haven't seen all signs point to marketing again in the future or at most an exclusive.

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to eat crow by the end of the year, but I would rather lean towards a more pessimistic outlook, and not hold out hope just to wind up pissed that SIE is not going down the road i want it to...

Just like yall holding out for a Feb reveal XD
I feel ya on that.

I just think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Thankfully we'll be drowning in news by the end of the month.
I see that optimism!

I think my PS4 is on it's last legs. It keeps shutting off on its own. I really don't want to buy a new PS4 with the PS5 being so close but I still want to play The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima day 1. However I don't think it will last until May.

Ah, join me and wait until PS5 to play all the games coming this year!

To your PS4 🌹

This is why I think, while They still may acquire some studios, Remedy won't be one of em..

Unless some have hard evidence I haven't seen all signs point to marketing again in the future or at most an exclusive.
Mhm, they won't necessarily be on par with something like Insomniac. I would actually like it better if they were smaller studios that really need the help.

Like Housemarque. Save Housemarque!

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I feel ya on that.

I see that optimism!

To your PS4 🌹

Mhm, they won't necessarily be on par with something like Insomniac. I would actually like it better if they were smaller studios that really need the help.

Sony needs to save poor little Sega too! 😏

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
There are many ways Superman, Hulk, and Thor's narrative could develop and lend itself to the type of interpretation above. But at the same time, you'd essentially have to create lore to insert vulnerability.

Why create lore? You can do a lot of configuration with existing pieces to make a story you want today. That's what SpiderMan did vs just having you play through an existing story like older ones did.

It's what other mediums do too around these characters. It's not so far fetched is all I meant.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I feel ya on that.

I see that optimism!

To your PS4 🌹

He'll yea.. Housemarque and Bluepoint.

Feb 23, 2019
Sony lucked out that Bend Studio did really, really well with Days Gone. I feel that game either was going to make or break the studio. Luckily it was a hit and they proved they could make console AAA games...

Sony will obviously make more acquisitions. The established names thrown out all make sense. Most of all I'm really hoping for Bluepoint and KojiPro. And I hope Bluepoint turns into a new game studio and not a remake factory. But I also hope they focus on what they do best - making games in the style of Japanese titles. Would love to see a western dev provide a spin on traditionally Japanese genres.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think Sony would do better by approaching publishers if they can make exclusive IPs for the PS5.

Or work on already available IPs.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017

Think Sony would do better by approaching publishers if they can make exclusive IPs for the PS5.

that can only work for how long

the so called "Second Party" exclusives and partnerships are getting more and more expensive and unfeasible as well as rarer to maintain

Last edited:

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
After Iron Man there have not been exciting new VR game announcements from SIE. Manchester Studio got shut down. And Shu works with indies only nowadays and is probably out of PSVR decision making. Are there other executives who are excited about VR at PlayStation? They release exciting VR games infrequently. Firewall and Astro Bot released in 2018, Blood & Truth 2019, Iron Man VR 2020... That's all you can do, Sony? The investments seem very low when you compare it to PCVR games market. PCVR is way more exciting at the moment than PSVR. Kinda funny since it was the other way round in 2016/2017 imo.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but PSVR is not in a great position at the moment. It's difficult cause I'm excited about the tech and the possibilities of next-gen PSVR2, but the current situation is making me a bit concerned about their future VR game investments as well.
Umm Golemn just released.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
After Iron Man there have not been exciting new VR game announcements from SIE. Manchester Studio got shut down. And Shu works with indies only nowadays and is probably out of PSVR decision making. Are there other executives who are excited about VR at PlayStation? They release exciting VR games infrequently. Firewall and Astro Bot released in 2018, Blood & Truth 2019, Iron Man VR 2020... That's all you can do, Sony? The investments seem very low when you compare it to PCVR games market. PCVR is way more exciting at the moment than PSVR. Kinda funny since it was the other way round in 2016/2017 imo.

Sorry for the doom and gloom but PSVR is not in a great position at the moment. It's difficult cause I'm excited about the tech and the possibilities of next-gen PSVR2, but the current situation is making me a bit concerned about their future VR game investments as well.
That's because VR was a mistake. All it did was take resources from Vita games and PS4 games and create games that sell nothing and do absolutely nothing to spread the brand. Rigs killed a studio, Manchester killed itself. I don't see any studios getting a massive hit from VR and becoming a bigger studio and getting a larger budget for their next game. Usually people release their VR game and then disappear. It's terrible.

Oct 25, 2017

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Who's making Dreams OT and when are the reviews coming?
That would be me, I already have mostly everything for the main OT, there's a secondary one I'm doing which I got permission for that'll be going up the same day.

To clarify:
  • Dreams |OT| will be an OT mainly for the discussion of the game. This would be about reviews, the game itself, updates etc and all of that.
  • There will be a secondary |OT| that'll be called Dreams Creators |OT| that'll be used for people who want to make things, need help, share things and talk about the creating aspect of Dreams. This will give the creators their own place to talk about collaborating, sharing their projects, talking about hugs or needing solutions cause they can't figure out stuff like Logic etc.
I hope this clears everything up guys :)

Last edited:

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
After Iron Man there have not been exciting new VR game announcements from SIE.
Probably because they are moving to a different generation with VR.

Manchester Studio got shut down. And Shu works with indies only nowadays and is probably out of PSVR decision making. Are there other executives who are excited about VR at PlayStation?
The director of Astrobot just got promoted to head of SIE Japan Studio.

Jim Ryan said they were committed to VR just a few months ago.

www.gamesindustry.biz

Sony's Jim Ryan: We had to make changes to deliver our PlayStation 5 dream

Jim Ryan wants to have a word.PlayStation's boss wanted to address some of the points that were raised in an article we…
PlayStation has been experimenting in new business areas for a while. In VR, for instance, PlayStation is the market leader, and although the number of announced, Sony-developed VR titles has slowed, Ryan says that the company remains committed to the category, with big offers planned around Black Friday and Christmas.

www.vrfocus.com

Sony’s Jim Ryan Confirms its Commitment to VR: ‘we’re in it for the long haul’

Expect more from Sony as PlayStation VR continues to dominate.

They release exciting VR games infrequently. Firewall and Astro Bot released in 2018, Blood & Truth 2019, Iron Man VR 2020... That's all you can do, Sony? The investments seem very low when you compare it to PCVR games market. PCVR is way more exciting at the moment than PSVR. Kinda funny since it was the other way round in 2016/2017 imo.

I think the fact that they're not spending a lot on VR isn't too bad. They're making a little bit of money on it, so they aren't likely to drop it any time soon. They're giving VR a chance to grow.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
I believe there is going to be at least one studio acquisition this year. They hired staff who will deal with studio acquisition operations until 2024. The first one out is Kojima Productions this year. With the way they are talking about to become a ultimate entertainment company like Polyphony Digital is for the car industry with doing anime, comic books and movies aside from games is a very strong sign.

Sony wants to get over with it quick so they can move them to a bigger office like what they did with Polyphony last year when they moved them out from the car park they have resided since early 2000's.

Achieve anime, comic books, movies, smaller games + big Hollywood blockbuster game requires manpower. Sony has more than just PlayStation division. There are Sony Music with music division and their own anime studio, A-1 Pictures, formed by ex Sunrise producer. As for movies they have Sony Pictures.

Polyphony is Sony's big Japanese studio who is just more than games. Kojima Productions can be the second one Sony is looking for who is not just about games.

In terms of smaller games Kojima and Shinkawa mean what Kojima used to refer as his independent projects aside from his big Hollywood blockbuster. Snatcher and Policenauts were considered independent while MGS was big Hollywood blockbuster. Same can be said about the relation between Zone of the Enders series and MGS2, MGS3.

PS1 era was KCET, PS2 era was KCEJ and Kojima Productions was formed right after in 2005 when they stepped away from the smaller games due to Konami's business (obviously) changed (RIP Suikoden V).

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As things go, it is not only becoming increasingly expensive to secure 3rd party exclusives, but also publishers are in a rush to build their own proprietary digital publishing / streaming platforms or at the very least to expand their reach internationally on multiple platforms as digital publishing has never been so open and with multiple outlets to choose from. The time of 3rd party exclusives is very much coming to a (logical) end.
This being said, IPs are obviously in need of talented teams to develop them, but New IPs are very expensive to establish in both dev and marketing costs while they are also an unknown factor and can flop.
Acquiring devs+IPs makes a lot of sense in the current market, but it is very expensive and takes time as you need to make sure things will "gel" with your own structure.

madridi-gh

Mar 25, 2018
Here is my prediction. This week sony will announce the PS5 meeting and overshadow Dreams release. Poor mm lol

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As things go, it is not only becoming increasingly expensive to secure 3rd party exclusives, but also publishers are in a rush to build their own proprietary digital publishing / streaming platforms or at the very least to expand their reach internationally on multiple platforms as digital publishing has never been so open and with multiple outlets to choose from. The time of 3rd party exclusives is very much coming to a (logical) end.
This being said, IPs are obviously in need of talented teams to develop them, but New IPs are very expensive to establish in both dev and marketing costs while they are also an unknown factor and can flop.
Acquiring devs+IPs makes a lot of sense in the current market, but it is very expensive and takes time as you need to make sure things will "gel" with your own structure.
I'm pretty sure it's still going to be a thing, and expecting Sony to be more aggressive about it in the future.

MastaKilla88

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 5, 2020
I'm on my third return to Days Gone. I always put it down for a few months then come back and pick up where I left off. At this point, I'm wondering if this game will ever just hurry the fuck up and end.

I can't believe I'm at a new camp after all this time. Whyyyy... anyways this is a good game but I just don't understand the pacing and why it's soooo unnecessarily drawn out. I really hope the sequel is able to keep things fresh and flowing naturally.

Nov 21, 2017

To your PS4 🌹

I don't know if I will be able to avoid story spoilers though for TLOUP2 and GoT. I was planning on holding off on playing Cyberpunk, FF7 Remake, Control, and Jedi Fallen Order on PS5 though as I know they would run terribly on my base PS4. Whereas Sony First Party games in general still run great on base PS4 like GOW, Horizon, and Spider-Man. My PC is only just decent and I only plays RTS games or Sims 4 on it.

Last edited:

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Sony lucked out that Bend Studio did really, really well with Days Gone. I feel that game either was going to make or break the studio. Luckily it was a hit and they proved they could make console AAA games...

Sony will obviously make more acquisitions. The established names thrown out all make sense. Most of all I'm really hoping for Bluepoint and KojiPro. And I hope Bluepoint turns into a new game studio and not a remake factory. But I also hope they focus on what they do best - making games in the style of Japanese titles. Would love to see a western dev provide a spin on traditionally Japanese genres.
I'm really hoping they continue to grow Bend. They have enormous potential for stealth games as in back in the day

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Jumping from Xbox One X to PlayStation 4 Pro, what's the newest/quietest model? Is it the 7216B?

Status
Not open for further replies.