• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
You guys should really watch the Kinda Funny video from last weekend where they have the Media Molecule folks talk about the game and how they're approaching the release. Greg Miller straight up asked them if they feel Sony is fully backing them with Dreams and she actually explained it quite well that this is relatively new territory for both Sony and Media Molecule and that they're learning as they go.

This is not a 'review it once and done' game that either succeeds or fails based on the initial Metacritic or Opencritic results. Dreams is a prime example of a GAAS that will evolve over time. Both in content and functionality. MM mentioned they really see the initial launch as the go live of the Dreams service and they also told that they'll keep working on new content that adds to the initial 2-3 hour 'campaign' and improve the tools based on community feedback.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think Insomniacs price is almost equal to all those studio's Microsoft acquired.
i assume you are only referring to the 2018 acquisitions and later, and you will probably be right.
But what's crazier is that Sony bought them when their market price at it's peak.
I think that there is a question of what did they actually win from this when you think about the fact most of insomniac's attempts to do something new outside of playstation pretty much bombed.

But i guess that it was more of a defensive acquisition than anything else.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
You're doing a lot of assumptions based on one example. Cambridge is the only studio that was shut down after releasing a game in VR and you have absolutely no idea why the studio was shut down. The truth is that the studio had a very poor output post-PS2 with the only remarkable games being LBP PSP and Killzone Mercenary in the 10 year period preceding Rigs. Two games to a degree built on the work of other Sony studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they were kept alive so long thanks to the Vita and VR because none of their works were "PS4 quality".

Manchester was a studio that was created to do VR so it wouldn't have existed without the medium. If you don't want VR then you can't really fault VR for shutting down a studio that existed solely to do VR.

I'm convinced that Sony execs are aware that VR might need a few loss leaders to succeed and that they are not expecting current gen VR games to sell like AAA flat screen games. Major corporations are not run by stupid people.

Did you try VR? I think it's pretty awesome personally "being inside the game" and I hope it has a future on PlayStation.
I think Sony misunderstands what made them great for the past 10 years. It's high quality exclusives that pushed PlayStation to the top. Not a peripheral. Guerrilla Cambridge would certainly have been better off making an FPS at AA or AAA quality for the PS4 than RIGS for PSVR. Especially because Sony has had one AAA FPS exclusive the entire gen and it came out the first day. They were under saturated with FPS when RIGS came out. A PS4 game would have done magnitudes better. It's not debatable. And I have tried VR before. It's very cool but it isn't the life changing experience that people swear by.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
i assume you are only referring to the 2018 acquisitions and later, and you will probably be right.

I think that there is a question of what did they actually win from this when you think about the fact most of insomniac's attempts to do something new outside of playstation pretty much bombed.

Matt alluded that this was one of the reasons for the acquisition. Would only make sense that there were other platform holders (besides Sony) for looking to acquire Insomniac.

"That's one reason, but far from the only reason."

"There is a general arms race going on for development teams right now. If that wasn't the case, I don't know if the deal would have happened."

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I won't say that since they always wanted to buy IG but they were never up for sale.
If anything this is Ted being a smart business person .
He getting older and IG had to be worth the most it had ever had been and MS were buying up devs.
So he get a great pay day while also able to make games until he ready to retired .

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should really watch the Kinda Funny video from last weekend where they have the Media Molecule folks talk about the game and how they're approaching the release. Greg Miller straight up asked them if they feel Sony is fully backing them with Dreams and she actually explained it quite well that this is relatively new territory for both Sony and Media Molecule and that they're learning as they go.

This is not a 'review it once and done' game that either succeeds or fails based on the initial Metacritic or Opencritic results. Dreams is a prime example of a GAAS that will evolve over time. Both in content and functionality. MM mentioned they really see the initial launch as the go live of the Dreams service and they also told that they'll keep working on new content that adds to the initial 2-3 hour 'campaign' and improve the tools based on community feedback.

Makes sense.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
In January I was really expecting the event announcement to hit anyday, but now I wouldn't be surprised if we only get something around May or June, they better wait it out, with the Coronavirus still quarantining whole cities and all, who knows how hard this might impact their plans for a PS5 launch.

Yeah, I'm starting to believe they'll just do a massive blow out of information in June. Everything including the PS5 design, DS5, games, launch price etc etc.

If there is anything before June I'll eat my hat.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks for the info.

But since IGN probably already played Art's Dreams, I assume they'll published the campaign review for it.

Or will they published the full Dreams review?

OnlineZhD

Aug 23, 2018
Dreams is releasing tomorrow for early access, and we still don't know about when the embargo left (or if there's even one to begin with). You'd think Sony would want reviews to hit early to build hype, but nope nothing.
Dreams is updating for the early access players tomorrow, why would they need a review if they already purchased the game? Full release isn't until Friday. There is still time.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The Insomniac acquisition was surely a power play by Sony, to a degree. I fully believe Sony has tried maaaany times to buy the studio before, Spider-man just convinced them to offer such a batshit high offer to Insomniac that they could never refuse.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Plus i don't think Sony even wanted to risk having a Xbox-Bungie/Nintendo-Rare situation in their hands were Insomniac walked away/was taken off the board. Losing Insomniac would have been a critical blow against SIE's output, Sony had to lock them down at some point.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Stop fighting it, let the abyss take you and forget the PS5 for a while. Trust me, going numb is muuuuch better XD

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All that PSN money well spent. Next -> Bluepoint Games!

Quarter after quarter PSN is making more money than their closest two competitors entire gaming divisions combined. I'm thinking Bluepoint and a few others.

Yeah, Sony probably would have saved quite a bit of money had they acquired Insomniac during the PS3 gen or at the start of this one. Still, I'm sure they're gonna get their moneys worth.

First 3 days of Spider-Man money probably helped lol. Last I heard the collab was at 12/13 million copies sold.

Wanted to nab em before Google or Microsoft did.

I listened to a podcast with Seamus Blackley where he said that Sony's strength and what they value most is creativity. I don't see the purchase of insomniac as a defensive move because it's been rumoured and even confirmed from a few non spec leaking "insiders" that Sony tried to aquire them years before. The purchase at peak price is a testament.

A "We wanted you back and and still want you today" type of statement.

In retrospect this interview with the Spidey creative director is actually quite telling.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Indeed.

But what's crazier is that Sony bought them when their market price at it's peak.

They had no choice. Insomniac was basically already a part of WWS, they wanted to go with Sony. However I don't doubt Microsoft and Google made offers. Maybe even Amazon. Sony had to pull the trigger before the price was unaffordable (Basically Google and Amazon start throwing around more cash than Sony has or MS is able to spend within XGS budget).

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. At least two more. Still Bluepoint, Remedy, Ready at Dawn, Housemarque and Arrowhead out there ;)

We're on the same page and same paragraph!

They had no choice. Insomniac was basically already a part of WWS, they wanted to go with Sony. However I don't doubt Microsoft and Google made offers. Maybe even Amazon. Sony had to pull the trigger before the price was unaffordable (Basically Google and Amazon start throwing around more cash than Sony has or MS is able to spend within XGS budget).

I don't think the amount on the table matters as much to a studio of Insomniac's calibre as opposed to who is offering and the terms and conditions. Imagine getting double whatever Sony offered and then having your studio tied to one ip. A suite of creatives arguably at the top of their game purchased by X publisher and flipped into a by-yearly factory for a single ip?

There are too many examples to mention. And my guess is for a creative that must be hell.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're on the same page and same paragraph!
giphycfk8b.gif

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I don't think the amount on the table matters as much to a studio of Insomniac's calibre as opposed to who is offering and the terms and conditions. Imagine getting double whatever Sony offered and then having your studio tied to one ip. A suite of creatives arguably at the top of their game purchased by X publisher and flipped into a by-yearly factory for a single ip?

There are too many examples to mention. And my guess is for a creative that must be hell.
Insomniac doesn't even own their best IP (Ratchet, Spider-Man, Spyro, Resistance). If you've done the due diligence to purchase they studio, you know you would be buying talent, not intellectual property by which to tie the studio down with. I'd like to think, especially watching Sony's success over the last decade and Xbox's pivot, that anyone with a vested interest in the industry knows studio are at their best when they aren't creatively restricted. You pay double with a contract favored towards Insomniac to get one of the best studios to ever do it, on your platform selling your hardware (Stadia, whatever Amazon is doing). I think the industry knows what Insomnaic is worth, Sony had to snag them before someone else inevitably offered them good terms. It just helps that again, I believe they wanted to be a part of PlayStation.

Oct 27, 2017
By comparison, Microsoft bought Rare for 375M$ in 2002 and Electronic Arts bought Respawn for 315M$ in 2017 (but probably more than 400M$ with the bonus from certain performance milestone).

Status
Not open for further replies.