• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. At least two more. Still Bluepoint, Remedy, Ready at Dawn, Housemarque and Arrowhead out there ;)
Sony acquiring Housemarque depends on the success of their next title. Their next is said to be their biggest game yet and it's likely that Sony is funding it. If the game does really well for them, I'd imagine Sony would seriously consider it. Even if Sony doesn't acquire them, I hope they keep working together. I love Housemarque games too much.

Bluepoint, with the way they're hyping their next game, is going to be huge. Sony seems to have a lot of trust in this studio already.

But most importantly, I'd be disappointed if Sony doesn't work with Ready At Dawn again. The Order wasn't exactly a great game, but the shooting was really satisfying for me, some of the weapons blew my mind, the graphics reminded me of the first time I saw Killzone 2 running on PS3, the characters were surprisingly charming, and the story was good. My biggest complaints about the game are the terrible stealth parts and those awful wack a mole werewolf encounters.

Oct 25, 2017

iu

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
Not sure if this is the right place to bring this up.

Final Fantasy VIIR release date is April 10th, Good Friday of Easter weekend. That cannot be right? Majority of retail locations are closed...

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Would be funny, but I doubt it. Simply makes no sense.
Yeah especially after Death Stranding underperforming for Sony, even if they precised that because expectations were ambitious
We were not able to meet our assumptions for catalog titles in the case of third-party full-length games or for first-party full-length games in general as those expectations were somewhat ambitious.

Oct 24, 2019

I think it makes way more sense than people give it credit for.

Many people say "Kojima just became independent, why would he allow himself to be bought out right away?" It's a valid point. However, I suspect that it's precisely because of his ordeal with Konami that Kojima might be more open to acquisition. The last thing he wants is to spend more of his prime creative years scrabbling together funding for projects and keeping his studio afloat. Particularly when he needs a big budget to make his highly-cinematic games that so weird that they're hard to market effectively and could easily flop, which also happen to be brimming with expensive Hollywood talent. From that point of view, having the financial security from letting Sony pick up the check while he runs wild with his vision must be appealing.

I imagine he also feels some sense of loyalty and gratitude to Sony. Not only have his games primarily been associated with Playstation over the years, but Sony also helped him get back on his feet during his lowest point.

Then there's fact that on a personal level, Kojima has a lot of friends within Sony, moreso than other major publishers. He is best friends with Hulst, he has a great relationship with the people at Guerrilla in general, and he is also good friends with other people in Sony's orbit like Sam Lake. I imagine this counts for something, particularly when the whole theme of his most recent game was the importance of social strands and friendship.

Finally, we return again to his creative vision. Kojima adores cinema and would love to try his hand at directing a movie. Which of the game publishers happens to be a corporation with a major movie studio, as well as a newly-established division dedicated to adapting gaming IPs into film/tv? Yep, Sony! An acquisition could easily include a clause/provision that gives Kojima some sort of movie/tv deal, whether it be for him as an individual or for KojiPro on the whole to push the studio into multimedia territory.

Sony also just funded Death Stranding, which is one of the weirdest games of the decade. I don't think Kojima is particularly concerned about Sony meddling with his creative vision.

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
In fact you forget one thing, although it does not take away from their talent ... There is a difference with the studios you mention.

Insomniac actually had very few major licenses, which they owned because yes, Sony always, often has this good idea of giving third-party studios projects that belong to them such as: Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Sly Cooper who are not from Insomniac.

Consequently Sony paid mainly for their talent, their expertise rather than their licenses.

(sorry for my english, I hope it's understandable)

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018

Why does it make less sense than the studios you listed?

I mean, I'm not a huge fan of Kojima games but Kojima assembled a talented bunch of devs that made a new IP within 3 years and it's likely to become consensus GotY of 2019. That's a hell of an efficient studio.

Also the studio would be way cheaper than Remedy or Ready at Dawn and it would add another japanese studio to the WWS.

Kojima Production would make a lot of sense even if Kojima leaves the studio in the next 5 years. There will be people to step up and make japanese AAA games for Sony.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
In fact you forget one thing, although it does not take away from their talent ... There is a difference with the studios you mention.

Insomniac actually had very few major licenses, which they owned because yes, Sony always, often has this good idea of giving third-party studios projects that belong to them such as: Ratchet & Clank, Resistance, Sly Cooper who are not from Insomniac.

Consequently Sony paid mainly for their talent, their expertise rather than their licenses.

(sorry for my english, I hope it's understandable)
Your English is completely fine :)

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dunno why but a new version of Sherlock Holmes : Crimes & Punishments has appeared on the PSN. My old digital copy is still available for download. It was first a PS3 game made by Frogware and published by Focus Home Interactive (edit : it's now published by the studio).

Anyway it's a great title for AA connoisseurs (but I wouldn't say that of Devil's Daughter the next one that had let me a bitter taste). Good writing and acting with a serviceable detective system, a deep plunge in the meander of the agonising victorian Britain : domestic violence, alcoolism, class struggle, decaying aristocracy. It's also currently sold at -75% on Steam :

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments on Steam

Become the most celebrated detective of all time: Sherlock Holmes! Use your impressive talents as a detective to solve six thrilling and varied cases: murders, missing persons, spectacular thefts and numerous investigations that sometimes lead you into the realms of the fantastic.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno why but a new version of Sherlock Holmes : Crimes & Punishments has appeared on the PSN. My old digital copy is still available for download. It was first a PS3 game made by Frogware and published by Focus Home Interactive (edit : it's now published by the studio).

Anyway it's a great title for AA connoisseurs (but I wouldn't say that of Devil's Daughter the next one that had let me a bitter taste). Good writing and acting with a serviceable detective system, a deep plunge in the meander of the agonising victorian Britain : domestic violence, alcoolism, class struggle, industrialisazion, decaying aristocracy. It's also currently sold at -75% on Steam :

store.steampowered.com

Save 90% on Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments on Steam

Become the most celebrated detective of all time: Sherlock Holmes! Use your impressive talents as a detective to solve six thrilling and varied cases: murders, missing persons, spectacular thefts and numerous investigations that sometimes lead you into the realms of the fantastic.
I was wondering the same thing just a couple hours ago!

A huge recommendation from me as well. I hope Frogwares makes another Sherlock game that is not so action orientated and melodramatic as Devil's Daughter.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're on the same page and same paragraph!

I don't think the amount on the table matters as much to a studio of Insomniac's calibre as opposed to who is offering and the terms and conditions. Imagine getting double whatever Sony offered and then having your studio tied to one ip. A suite of creatives arguably at the top of their game purchased by X publisher and flipped into a by-yearly factory for a single ip?

There are too many examples to mention. And my guess is for a creative that must be hell.
Insomniac doesn't even own their best IP (Ratchet, Spider-Man, Spyro, Resistance). If you've done the due diligence to purchase they studio, you know you would be buying talent, not intellectual property by which to tie the studio down with. I'd like to think, especially watching Sony's success over the last decade and Xbox's pivot, that anyone with a vested interest in the industry knows studio are at their best when they aren't creatively restricted. You pay double with a contract favored towards Insomniac to get one of the best studios to ever do it, on your platform selling your hardware (Stadia, whatever Amazon is doing). I think the industry knows what Insomnaic is worth, Sony had to snag them before someone else inevitably offered them good terms. It just helps that again, I believe they wanted to be a part of PlayStation.

Obviously I'm not gloating because we're just having a discussion about the possibilities and my arm chair analysis doesn't actually count for shit. But 229 million for Insom supports my point. The amount on the table, who is offering that money, and the freedom that comes with it seems like a factor. Especially when you consider that studios with far less prestige have sold for a lot more.

That aside 229M seems like a steal!

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
That number is honestly shocking as all hell, we can absolutely throw the "Sony emptied the warchest" narrative out atleast. Damn! With all due respect to Remedy and Respawn, Insomniac is just a stronger asset to a publisher, yet they were valued at less.

Sony made the single easiest investment in a studio, of the the entire generation.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's a bargain for a thriving studio that can juggle major AAA releases with smaller projects + VR simultaneously. Plus you're all but guaranteeing the critical & commercial success of Spider Man games for the next decade+. It might be safest bet of the big acquisitions.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That number is honestly shocking as all hell, we can absolutely throw the "Sony emptied the warchest" narrative out atleast. Damn! With all due respect to Remedy and Respawn, Insomniac is just a stronger asset to a publisher, yet they were valued at less.

Sony made the single easiest investment in a studio, of the the entire generation.
Yeah. It blows my mind that Insom was so much cheaper than say, Respawn which was much less of proven commodity at the time that EA acquired them. They had 2 critically successful games, but one had a commercially questionable performance. Compare that to Insomniac which had decades of success leading up to their aquisition.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Wonder what they were worth before Spider-Man. I'm sure Sony (and others) tried many a time to buy them with Insomniacs reluctance.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And Insomniac made deal of their life selling self to Sony.
Considering Spider-Man went on to become the fastest selling PS4 game, Insomniac would have made a huge mistake leaving that behind after the success they just had with Sony. Think of how much money Spider-Man has made, and will make again in the future. They're going to be swimming in money.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Obviously I'm not gloating because we're just having a discussion about the possibilities and my arm chair analysis doesn't actually count for shit. But 229 million for Insom supports my point. The amount on the table, who is offering that money, and the freedom that comes with it seems like a factor. Especially when you consider that studios with far less prestige have sold for a lot more.

That aside 229M seems like a steal!
Absolutely... Phil Spencer easily could have offered 300M +, same goes for Google and the other giant publishers.

Insomniac knew where they were going to thrive, and waited for Sony to pull the trigger.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. It blows my mind that Insom was so much cheaper than say, Respawn which was much less of proven commodity at the time that EA acquired them. They had 2 critically successful games, but one had a commercially questionable performance. Compare that to Insomniac which had decades of success leading up to their aquisition.

They did not own those IP no matter how success they had .
Don't for get that many said that TF was going to be the next big FPS and Respawn own that .

Absolutely... Phil Spencer easily could have offered 300M +, same goes for Google and the other giant publishers.

Insomniac knew where they were going to thrive, and waited for Sony to pull the trigger.

I don't think Spencer easily could have offered 300M + .
In fact i doubt anything MS buy come any where near this price.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
They did not own those IP no matter how success they had .
Don't for get that many said that TF was going to be the next big FPS and Respawn own that .
I'm curious about Remedy's value now....

Is Remedy just overvalued then? Because they have never had a huge IP outside of Max Payne, which is not owned by them.

If they would be more expensive than Insomniac... Yeah, 0 chance of an acquisition, short of a PS5 exclusive from them pulling insane numbers.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Creative freedom over everything!

They could have been offered 400 Million (like respawn) but if the terms and conditions meant they couldn't thrive doing what they do best. Or be chained to an IP for life for that by-yearly release goodness/corporate slavery.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Not sure about From Software but Sega bought Atlus for 140 million dollars.

" The official figure paid was not offered by Sega, but the Nikkei, an influential Japanese business daily, has reported that the deal is worth ¥14 billion ($140m/£88m). "
There were no official numbers for FromSoftware. The rumor was that Kadokawa paid 17$ million for 80% of From. Though, seems a bit low.
What could have been, lol

Goddammit, Yoshida~

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I'm curious about Remedy's value now....

Is Remedy just overvalued then? Because they have never had a huge IP outside of Max Payne, which is not owned by them.

If they would be more expensive than Insomniac... Yeah, 0 chance of an acquisition, short of a PS5 exclusive from them pulling insane numbers.
The problem with this is that a big, successful game would cause their share price and thus the acquisition price to substantially increase.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Yeah if the worth values of Remedy and Falcom being thrown around are legit... Forget it, neither have even an inkling of a shot at being acquired.

Remedy being priced over Insomniac, and Falcom possibly requiring more than 50% of Sony's payment for Insomniac? Never in a million years

Now Bluepoint, who does not own any original IPs....

SayWord

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
If Sony really wanted to get back into the JRPG game they would have bought Atlus.

I think that boat has sailed for that genre and any Sony output... Though you never know if Bluepoint will ever remake Legend of Dragoon. =P

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if the worth values of Remedy and Falcom being thrown around are legit... Forget it, neither have even an inkling of a shot at being acquired.

Remedy being priced over Insomniac, and Falcom possibly requiring more than 50% of Sony's payment for Insomniac? Never in a million years

Now Bluepoint, who does not own any original IPs....

Some one in the next thread said Falcom worth more like 75 million .
Giving out some good data on how these things and value can be done .

Status
Not open for further replies.