• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of new people who joined SMS in the last three months or so is ridiculous. Growing rapidly.

Santa Monica Studio

Currently 49 open positions.

Hopefully Cory is building a second team to make a new IP while someone else handles GoW: Ragnarok!

I am starting to wonder if sony might be trying to pull a E3 2016 again by blowing their load and announcing horizon, GoW and Spiderman all in the same event.

While I don't want them to announce games super-early this gen (I think a lot of the silence over the last ~18 months has been as a result of this) a good way to build mega-hype for the PS5 from the very beginning would be to have big trailers for Horizon 2, GoW2 and Spidey 2.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
Hopefully Cory is building a second team to make a new IP while someone else handles GoW: Ragnarok!

www.resetera.com

[speculation] Eric Williams to direct God of War 5? [new Cory Barlog tweet]

Speculation on my part but seems like there's a decent chance that Eric Williams will be directing the sequel to God of War (2018) ? He was the person who designed Kratos in the very first game and has worked on every game in the series. Here's a quote from Cory Barlog in another interview...

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if WWZ managed to sold over 3 million copies and it was an ok-ish title, a well made Days Gone MP with more resources was probably going to be better than WWZ and push Days Gone sales even further.

And? If that wasn't Bend's vision for the game then it is irrelevant. That's not how Sony runs their studios. Which is a great thing.

Oct 26, 2017
[

And? If that wasn't Bend's vision for the game then it is irrelevant. That's not how Sony runs their studios.

It's not like a MP mode was going to impact the game in a negative way and "Bend vision for the game" didn't made the next big thing lol

Saber was right at the end, their idea proved to be worthwile and despite not being the next big thing they sold millions of copies

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's not like a MP mode was going to impact the game in a negative way and it's not like "Bend vision for the game" made the next big thing lol

Regardless of your opinion that is how it works and you have no idea how it would have impacted the rest of the game. Resources are finite and tacked on MP is so last gen. It's moot anyway. I doubt they are regretting anything as I said before though.

Oct 27, 2017
Gamstat has Days Gone at 5.5m users. So maybe 4-5m sold.

What website is that and how do they get their data? Would be interested to see if they have information about other games.

MM is like really really small

metro.co.uk

Dreams review and interview – video game construction kit

GameCentral reviews the new game creation tool from the makers of LittleBigPlanet and talks to creative director Mark Healey about its future.

Wow, that really is small. I thought they had opened up a second office in order to grow a bit. No doubt they like being small and nimble because it seems kinda crazy they're not more like double that size. I hope that also insulates them from any closures if Dreams performs below expectations.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice schools are already interested in Dreams

GC: Do you also see Dreams as an educational product? Because it seems to me it'd work great in the classroom.

MH: Yep, absolutely. We've had a lot of schools and universities already get in touch with us about wanting to use it the curriculum.
metro.co.uk

GameCentral reviews the new game creation tool from the makers of LittleBigPlanet and talks to creative director Mark Healey about its future.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah makes no sense for Dreams 2

GC: So it sounds like you're not considering a sequel at all, despite there being multiple LittleBigPlanet games.
MH: There was a LittleBigPlanet 3, we just did LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2. But I can't imagine there'd ever be a Dreams 2, it's just Dreams gets updated and we keep supporting it. It's not like there's a YouTube 2, is there! It just slowly gets better and better. So that's how we're approaching it.
GC: Okay, that's great. Thanks for your time.

GC: So will people be able to play any of these games outside of owning Dreams?

MH: At the moment you have to own Dreams to play it. Obviously, it's not just games, people can make films and things. But the big ambition that I would love to see is that people can make stuff that ends up coming out and going onto the PSN store and things like that. That's an obvious thing to push for really, so we're looking into that at the moment.

GC: And could they make money from that?

MH: Of course, yeah. That's the point. That's the ambition. There's a fine balance to keep there, between keeping that nice sort of sharing, collaborative thing going on and people making money.

metro.co.uk

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It's not like a MP mode was going to impact the game in a negative way and "Bend vision for the game" didn't made the next big thing lol

Saber was right at the end, their idea proved to be worthwile and despite not being the next big thing they sold millions of copies

It impacts development time. AKA Last of Us part 2. WHich was not going to have one at launch, and they explicitly talked about why, but entertained the idea of releasing a standalone mode down the line after the game was released.

Now it looks like they are currently building that, on top of trying to polish the campaign. It adds so much more complexity. Uncharted 4 was another instance where they had to actually re-configure the game to get it running at 60fps for Multiplayer.

MP isn't everything, some of the biggest games Sony has released this gen have no online components. Same can be said about Nintendo as well.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
What website is that and how do they get their data? Would be interested to see if they have information about other games.

gamstat.com has estimated player numbers to all playstation games, including a lot of side Infos like new players within the last month and share by country.

They calculate those numbers via that playstation service where you can see how many other people have earned a certain trophy in a game.
Imo their numbers have proven relatively accurate. But don't forget that it's player numbers, and not sales.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
One day we gonna get into why this thread hate mp so much. Not today tho it's a good day

I don't hate MP, but also don't want it at the cost of the initial design "idea" of the game. If the campaign was meant for to be played with co-op in mind, then I'm cool with that. It's when they shoe horn MP into a single player designed game that's where I think I have issues.

It rarely ends well.

Last edited:

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

i really feel that Sony needs two things
- a Shooter (Killzone, Resistance) with good single player and stellar MP and
- a meaty single player Sci-Fi to fill the Mass Effect vacuum, made by either Santa Monica or Naughty Dog. even Bethesda is on the move with Starfield, come on Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Man Mm the goats don't @ me

Yeah, I agree. They may not have the commercial success in the same way as ND or SMS but they're still just as important in many ways.

gamstat.com has estimated player numbers to all playstation games, including a lot of side Infos like new players within the last month and share by country.

They calculate those numbers via that playstation service where you can see how many other people have earned a certain trophy in a game.
Imo their numbers have proven relatively accurate. But don't forget that it's player numbers, and not sales.

Oh cool, I will check it out later. I always like stats on these kind of things.

One day we gonna get into why this thread hate mp so much. Not today tho it's a good day

I don't hate MP, it just interests me far less than SP. If Horizon had been a third person multiplayer game or a Battle Royale game I would have had about 5% of the same level of interest in it.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
- a meaty single player Sci-Fi to fill the Mass Effect vacuum, made by either Santa Monica or Naughty Dog. even Bethesda is on the move with Starfield, come on Sony.

I have a feeling that Sony Santa Monica next title is actually a first person shooter. For the last year they have hired a lot of developers from FPS studios (Respawn, Bungie, Treyarch, Infinite Ward...) including one of the producers of Apex Legends and Call of Duty:

Guerrilla Games are also rumored to be working on first person shooter, so we shall see.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I would love to see Cory handle an FPS and ND to make Savage Starlight. I really feel like the level and encounter design from GoW would transfer well to an FPS. Likewise though, after finishing Uncharted: TLL I thought ND could make an awesome FPS so I wouldn't mind either studio trying to make one.

And I'd also like to see Insomniac make Resistance 4, so maybe I just want everyone to make FPSs!

MisterP𝕏L

Jul 10, 2019
Remember that Santa Monica is working on a big AAA game too ... And that it is not impossible that these recruitments are linked to the latter insofar as an AAA game requires expertise for everything that is subjective , often.

www.google.com

Sony Santa Monica studio prépare un gros jeu AAA sur PlayStation VR

Le studio Santa Monica, filiale de Sony travaillerait sur une nouvelle grosse production sur PlayStation VR. Une seconde vague de jeux est aussi évoquée.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that Sony Santa Monica next title is actually a first person shooter. For the last year they have hired a lot of developers from FPS studios (Respawn, Bungie, Treyarch, Infinite Ward...) including one of the producers of Apex Legends and Call of Duty:

Guerrilla Games are also rumored to be working on first person shooter, so we shall see.

I hope you're right, but one thing to note is that Respawn folk coming to SMS are likely to be from Jedi Fallen Order, many of whom worked at SMS beforehand anyway! It's entirely possible that they're being brought on board to staff up for pre-production or production on GoW2.

Oct 26, 2017

This is interesting

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
PlayStation Worldwide Studios |OT7| Time to play, believe in Jimbo and Hulst

I wish I had good news for you guys. Survive the weekend boys and girls.
I think I know why now. Although, the more I think about it, I realize that SIE will want to secure their momentum and legacy one way or another. Everything will be revealed in due time. Remember, when you're lost in the darkness... look for the light. Believe in Hermen Hulst.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
I hope SSM knows what they're doing by giving directorial reigns of GoW to someone else (if they even are doing that), especially after the debacle that was handing off the franchise to Todd Papy.

Doesn't matter if the director was with the studio since day 1. Cory had a vision with the franchise.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
I hope SSM knows what they're doing by giving directorial reigns of GoW to someone else (if they even are doing that), especially after the debacle that was handing off the franchise to Todd Papy.

Doesn't matter if the director was with the studio since day 1. Cory had a vision with the franchise.
The thing is... it was not only Cory's vision.

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like this is unfair to Todd Papy. Ascension wasn't bad, but it told a story which didn't need to be told and was the sixth game in a franchise which was quite tired. But the actual game itself was fine, and not all that much different from GoW3. I think that game's main problem was just mega franchise fatigue.

|OT7| LinkedIn Stalking Inside 👀
|OT7| First Party Tweets

Come for the optimism, stay for the negativity

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
This is what happens when only one person predominantly does the press run.
Hell My favorite twist in the game didn't even come from cory

Yes, he had a team of writers. No one's denying that. But let's be honest here that you wouldn't have gotten said game if he wasn't around. When you watch the documentary, you can see just how instrumental he was with pushing the franchise to where it is now. The team was against the idea of changing too much and having a kid in there being such an important part of the story. Stig wouldn't have made GoW 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.