• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Man, if it's not Remedy I can't think of anyone that would be even remotely close to exciting.

This teasing needs to stop. Either announce it or stop tap-dancing around the subject.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Santa Monica Studio is posting some stunning artwork from God of War on Twitter:
0nkksa.jpg

1zlj75.jpg

2etj2w.jpg

33mkzv.jpg

47wkvw.jpg

55zkm3.jpg

6iajus.jpg

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
It just seems unusual that all the supposed insiders are going off about it at the same time. Then some random podcast dude also pops up and says same thing.

Probably BS but they don't always go off together like this, haha

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
I think Sony has a partnership with Remedy, not an acquisition
I think it's safe to say that Bluepoint will be the next studio to join WWS and I'm happy with that.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Fake insiders are like fortune tellers. They will say something vague that you want to hear and is very likely to come true. If it turns out right then they take credit, if they were wrong then it was vague enough to spin. If even. Fake insiders are often just plain wrong too.

Last edited:

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
You've gotta stop giving credence to no-name attention seekers on Twitter y'all. If you give them the spotlight they crave, they're just going to multiply like those broomsticks in Fantasia, and we'll end up with more and more lies spread around the internets.

Having said that, I've been hearing things about Level 5. Could be nothing, could be everything. Watch this space.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
You've gotta stop giving credence to no-name attention seekers on Twitter y'all. If you give them the spotlight they crave, they're just going to multiply like those broomsticks in Fantasia, and we'll end up with more and more lies spread around the internets.

Having said that, I've been hearing things about Level 5. Could be nothing, could be everything. Watch this space.

That seems like such a terrible investment I can't imagine Sony would be dumb enough to make it. Especially with how bad they've been recently. Even as a joke.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

Pot meet kettle...lol

I kid...

Testobjekt

Jan 23, 2018
Germany

giphy.gif

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If the acquisition rumors are true then I imagine the established insiders know better than to say anything assuming the deal isn't done yet or if we're talking about publicly traded companies. I imagine they don't want to face potential legal scrutiny for leaking news of a publicly traded company being acquired ahead of time. That's probably also why these less reputable people are all hesitant to say who it is. Of course that's all assuming this is true.

Well let's hope we get some spicy news this week 😃

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
If they made a purchase I just hope they don't hold the announcement for the purpose of popping the fanboys at a press conference because I still think thats pretty lame.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Just today I saw three videos of people saying that current Sony doesn't care about their fans and is looking a lot like that Sony of the early PS3 era (because they won't be at E3). 🤔

I am curious to see if this is the general consensus or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If they made a purchase I just hope they don't hold the announcement for the purpose of popping the fanboys at a press conference because I still think thats pretty lame.

They just randomly announced Insom on a random morning. They know they don't need a conference to announce a thing like that.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Fake insiders are like fortune tellers. They will say something vague that is very likely to come true. If it turns out right then they take credit, if they were wrong then it was vague enough to spin. If even. Fake insiders are often just plain wrong too.
Most of them said soon so in a month. They had a very small gap there. So a few of them really have info and others are on the bandwagon or the original source was a fake and all of them make false prediction and will be trashed.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Just today I saw three videos of people saying that current Sony doesn't care about their fans and is looking a lot like that Sony of the early PS3 era (because they won't be at E3). 🤔

I am curious to see if this is the general consensus or not.

The entitlement(or rather the clickbait videos) never ceases to amaze me in this field.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
So the big 3 rumors are
Remedy
Blue point
Ready at Dawn

Consideration
Kojima production

Fake as fuck
That indie company don't remeber that name that has numbers in the title
Zenimax
Rockstar
Chinese and japanesse studios

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Where did the rumors that Sony was considering acquiring Remedy originate from?
Also, I could totally see it being Kojima Productions.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them said soon so in a month. They had a very small gap there. So a few of them really have info and others are on the bandwagon or the original source was a fake and all of them make false prediction and will be trashed.
There are no rumors about Sony acquisitions. There is no original source. No more than me telling you that they will announce one soon. It's wishful thinking and lies from random Twitter users not known for reliable information. It's not unthinkable that there will be acquisitions though.

Last edited:

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
The dude that sells hot dogs down the street told me that Sony was about to acquire Fortnite and Clash of Clans.

I don't know if the guy is legit but he always use fresh buns so I don't think he's lying.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan have both expressed, on multiple occasions during interviews, that a key factor underlying the consideration of a studio acquisition is how well they determine that the studio will fit into WWS "culture". This is why, as many here have previously pointed out, Sony has historically never acquired a studio with no prior collaboration. This makes a discussion of possible acquisitions easier to have, of course. In my mind, Remedy isn't even on the table until they produce at least one successful game together. Thus we have:

Supermassive - I have no freaking idea what the heck is going on with this team. They have noted that they are working on further PS exclusives, but the quality really hasn't been consistent or as high as Until Dawn. Where did that awesome talent go? With QD leaving the WWS family, Sony is missing that AAA, unique adventure game genre they used to do wonderful work in. I don't know any other studio, other than Supermassive, that could fill this void (things didn't work out with DontNod, unfortunately), but I suspect Sony won't acquire this team anytime soon until they really prove themselves again.

Ready at Dawn - This is clearly a talented team. Unfortunately, I suspect that The Order damaged their relationship with Sony. It's unclear to me where they stand now, but given how The Order went, I really wouldn't bet on an acquisition here -- at least not anytime soon.

Bluepoint - Clearly very talented and there is enough history for an acquisition to seem plausible. I do wonder if BP and Sony would want to continue doing remakes, and if this direction would be a point of contention, but confirming BP's game as the first PS5 game demonstrates how close they are. I'd say this one is very possible.

Kojima Productions - Talented and unique, but the value of this acquisition is under question when the appeal of the studio is tied to a single (or a few) individual(s). Moreover, with Kojima wanting to make movies, it's unclear if he'd even be interested. He has a sweet deal right now, and the risk seems quite high for Sony.

Thatgamecompany - The relationship would be appear to be severed.

Arrowhead - Clearly talented and I suspect that their current AAA game in development may be with Sony. This may be a testing bed to determine if an acquisition is of interest -- they've only worked on one game together, after all.

Housemarque - Along with Bluepoint, this is the obvious one. They have a really long working history, and though not all games were successful, a few entirely broke through. This is a very talented team with one of the longest histories in the game industry itself, and though we don't have confirmation, there is a high probability that their current AAA game in development is with Sony. Given their long history, and that the price of an acquisition could seriously skyrocket after a successful AAA game, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect an acquisition sooner rather than later.

As far as I can tell, that's the list. I left out VR developers because the list would be really big otherwise, though I suspect Sony may continue contracting independent developers on this front since the future of VR is still in question. I also left out Illfonic and the developers from Sony's China Hero Project since we will need to see how those go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shawn Layden and Jim Ryan have both expressed, on multiple occasions during interviews, that a key factor underlying the consideration of a studio acquisition is how well they determine that the studio will fit into WWS "culture". This is why, as many here have previously pointed out, Sony has historically never acquired a studio with no prior collaboration. This makes a discussion of possible acquisitions easier to have, of course. In my mind, Remedy isn't even on the table until they produce at least one successful game together. Thus we have:

Supermassive - I have no freaking idea what the heck is going on with this team. They have noted that they are working on further PS exclusives, but the quality really hasn't been consistent or as high as Until Dawn. Where did that awesome talent go? With QD leaving the WWS family, Sony is missing that AAA, unique adventure game genre they used to do wonderful work in. I don't know any other studio, other than Supermassive, that could fill this void (things didn't work out with DontNod, unfortunately), but I suspect Sony won't acquire this team anytime soon until they really prove themselves again.

Ready at Dawn - This is clearly a talented team. Unfortunately, I suspect that The Order damaged their relationship with Sony. It's unclear to me where they stand now, but given how The Order went, I really wouldn't bet on an acquisition here -- at least not anytime soon.

Bluepoint - Clearly very talented and there is enough history for an acquisition to seem plausible. I do wonder if BP and Sony would want to continue doing remakes, and if this direction would be a point of contention, but confirming BP's game as the first PS5 game demonstrates how close they are. I'd say this one is very possible.

Kojima Productions - Talented and unique, but the value of this acquisition is under question when the appeal of the studio is tied to a single (or a few) individuals. Moreover, with Kojima wanting to make movies, if he'd even be interested. He has a sweet deal right now, and the risk seems quite high for Sony.

Arrowhead - Clearly talented and I suspect that their current AAA game in development may be with Sony. This may be a testing bed to determine if an acquisition is of interest -- they've only worked on one game together, after all.

Housemarque - Along with Bluepoint, this is the obvious one. They have a really long working history, and though not all games were successful, a few entirely broke through. This is a very talented team with one of the longest histories in the game industry itself, and though we don't have confirmation, there is a high probability that their current AAA game in development is with Sony. Given their long history, and that the price of an acquisition could seriously skyrocket after a successful AAA game, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect an acquisition sooner rather than later.

As far as I can tell, that's the list. I left out VR developers because the list would be really big otherwise, though I suspect Sony may continue contracting independent developers on this front since the future of VR is still in question. I also left out Illfonic and the developers from Sony's China Hero Project since we will need to see how those go.
Checks out, none of these developers make JRPG's 🤣

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Kojima Productions - Talented and unique, but the value of this acquisition is under question when the appeal of the studio is tied to a single (or a few) individuals. Moreover, with Kojima wanting to make movies, if he'd even be interested. He has a sweet deal right now, and the risk seems quite high for Sony.

Supermassive would instantly be the only C tier studio on the list. What is the hard on that people on era have for this studio?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Supermassive would instantly be the only C tier studio on the list. What is the hard on that people on era have for this studio?

Until Dawn was really good. I'd much rather have them as part of Sony than Bluepoint, a company that has done nothing but port jobs.

Then again, IDEALLY they'd be getting an RPG developer to try and regain some of the ground they lost to Nintendo and now MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.