• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
Checks out, none of these developers make JRPG's 🤣

Lol. Unfortunately, Sony hasn't really collaborated with many notable independent studios in Japan outside From Software this generation, and FS isn't for sale. Of course, they have collaborated with others in the past, but the gaming landscape has massively shifted since then.

Supermassive would instantly be the only C tier studio on the list. What is the hard on that people on era have for this studio?

It's entirely tied to Until Dawn.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Until Dawn was really good. I'd much rather have them as part of Sony than Bluepoint, a company that has done nothing but port jobs.

Then again, IDEALLY they'd be getting an RPG developer to try and regain some of the ground they lost to Nintendo and now MS.
So you're ok with them who have made mediocre games since their inception except for one over a team that for the niche crowd continues making great games? I may be ok with its acquisition if Until Dawn was their last game, but that's not the case at all. They've just done 1 great game in their life cycle.

As for BP doing nothing but remakes, they could do that for a very long time. Or if they're successful enough, they could create two teams with one focusing on new IPs. I'm much more interested in them remaking a game like Ico than whatever game SMG makes. At least give them another test trial before purchasing them.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this remake from Bluepoint?
csotn_psxbox.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So you're ok with them who have made mediocre games since their inception except for one over a team that for the niche crowd continues making great games? I may be ok with its acquisition if Until Dawn was their last game, but that's not the case at all. They've just done 1 great game in their life cycle.

As for BP doing nothing but remakes, they could do that for a very long time. Or if they're successful enough, they could create two teams with one focusing on new IPs. I'm much more interested in them remaking a game like Ico than whatever game SMG makes. At least give them another test trial before purchasing them.

I don't think Sony needs to OWN a studio that just remakes things. It's wasteful. Just contract them when you need them.

Kaiserstarky

Oct 30, 2017
Until Dawn was really good. I'd much rather have them as part of Sony than Bluepoint, a company that has done nothing but port jobs.

Then again, IDEALLY they'd be getting an RPG developer to try and regain some of the ground they lost to Nintendo and now MS.

The only problem with them, it's their last games were not good specially comparing to Until Dawn.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem with them, it's their last games were not good specially comparing to Until Dawn.

I mean, I agree with that. I would just rather see Sony acquire a studio that actually makes new games rather than a port house.

Either way, you know I just want an RPG studio, that's all that matters to me right now and it's definitely not gonna happen. :/

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
And why do people think Bluepoint is going to be a Remake/Port studio forever? They have stated that they want to create their own IP in the near future.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think Sony needs to OWN a studio that just remakes things. It's wasteful. Just contract them when you need them.

As much as I love Bluepoint's remakes, I actually agree with you. However, although it's likely Sony is integrating your line of thinking, the available evidence suggests that they are at least seriously considering an acquisition.

That being said, a piece of information we are not privy to, is the number of offers BP receives from other interested companies. This may weigh in as well. Remakes or not -- we're talking about a talented team here.

cubotauro

Aug 28, 2019
Didn't Bluepoint show interest in Legend of Dragoon?

That's like the most interest that a developer close to Sony has shown in an actual RPG in recent memory.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony usually purchase a studio after the studio sells a game well. insomniac after Spider-Man and Sucker Punch after Infamous

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that makes me feel like Remedy is a legitimate option is that their Communication's Director has been liking multiple random tweets on Twitter about Sony expanding its first party. That seems like a super weird thing to do if he's not involved.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY

Don't have one, just them from couple years ago talking about expanding art department, when they confirmed they were working on another remake/re imagining project. They seem to be for the last year or so all in on that reimagining project. But had mentioned that the expansion they were doing at the time with their studio was for doing their own project down the line.

So i took an educated guess since pretty sure rumors point to this game being a launch title.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Man, if it's not Remedy I can't think of anyone that would be even remotely close to exciting.

This teasing needs to stop. Either announce it or stop tap-dancing around the subject.

Honestly, I'm gonna be pissed if it is Remedy. The purchase makes no sense. It's not adding anything that WWS doesn't already have. Need to build a MP studio....or just not have shut down Cambridge.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, y'all think Take Two would ever sell off the Max Payne IP? Wonder how much it's worth.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The only thing that makes me feel like Remedy is a legitimate option is that their Communication's Director has been liking multiple random tweets on Twitter about Sony expanding its first party. That seems like a super weird thing to do if he's not involved.
Ok, that's... a least a tad
bit interesting

Oh, and if we really going to risk it all for a studio, solely for the success of a single game, i would throw my hat for Arrowhead (Helldivers), rather than Supermassive.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Watch Bluepoint go on to revive Legend of Dragoon, then proceed to turn into Sony's RPG studio. They are already doing (likely) Demons' Souls, so that studio progression would not shock me.

Funny thing is, both Remedy and Bluepoint have showed that they are interested in possibly developing an RPG. That bumps up their potential worth to SIE, IMO.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have one, just them from couple years ago talking about expanding art department, when they confirmed they were working on another remake/re imagining project. They seem to be for the last year or so all in on that reimagining project. But had mentioned that the expansion they were doing at the time with their studio was for doing their own project down the line.

So i took an educated guess since pretty sure rumors point to this game being a launch title.
Pretty sure they said they are interested in working on a new IP after the already planned remake for PS5 (Demon's Souls Remake). Not that they are working on a new IP and the DeS remake at the same time. But hey, let's see ^_^

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I mean, I agree with that. I would just rather see Sony acquire a studio that actually makes new games rather than a port house.

Either way, you know I just want an RPG studio, that's all that matters to me right now and it's definitely not gonna happen. :/
They can remake Legend of Dragoon, WildArms, etc.

Pretty sure they said they are interested in working on a new IP after the already planned remake for PS5 (Demon's Souls Remake). Not that they are working on a new IP and the DeS remake at the same time. But hey, let's see ^_^
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like I read an interview by them awhile back stating they would also like to create new IPs instead of just remastering.

Ok, that's... a least a tad
bit interesting

Oh, and if we really going to risk it all for a studio, solely for the success of a single game, i would throw my hat for Arrowhead (Helldivers), rather than Supermassive.
Literally every studio mentioned in the last 10 pages over them. Not saying they shouldn't be considered, just not now. They simply don't deserve it. If they make two top tier games in a row, then it'd make sense. Sony's worst studios are better than 85% teams out there. Padding the stats just to get studios in there seems sad, focus on quality over quantity.

Didn't Bluepoint show interest in Legend of Dragoon?

That's like the most interest that a developer close to Sony has shown in an actual RPG in recent memory.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Watch Bluepoint go on to revive Legend of Dragoon, then proceed to turn into Sony's RPG studio. They are already doing (likely) Demons' Souls, so that studio progression would not shock me.

Funny thing is, both Remedy and Bluepoint have showed that they are interested in possibly developing an RPG. That bumps up their potential worth to SIE, IMO.
RPGs is not the only field I'd like Sony to put their hands on.. Have the current teams do what they're doing. but maybe get 2nd party devs to work on a
- AAA jRPG
- AAA WRPG
- Competitive MP game, either MP only or a lot put into it (new IP)
- Revive Soccom
- fund AA games
- get back to end of gen PS3, early gen PS4 indie publishing & find gems

As long as QD still makes for the PS, they have every genre covered at that point.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
If Sony gonna do a JRPG,it has to be a big one,like Persona 5 or Final Fantasy VII Remake,if not,is waste of time.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like I read an interview by them awhile back stating they would also like to create new IPs instead of just remastering.
Yep. That's what I meant :) They said they would finish this project (Demon's Souls Remake, or whatever) first and then they would love to make a new IP.
Does Sony own the Alundra IP?
Yes.
If Sony gonna do a JRPG, it has to be a big one,like Persona 5 or Final Fantasy VII Remake,if not,is waste of time.
It needs to be a Sony IP then :P And Persona/FF aren't Sony IPs.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Foxy was the original source
he even had a scuffle on legitimacy/credibility with Push Square lol

I think from there it just spread to the other two, especially with Tidux apparently chit chatting with Foxy

so who knows if it was actually a bunch of people all getting different sources or the spreading of the same one dude across multiple people

don't know about the recent guy though
If it is so clear it must be Bluepoint or RAD, a studio that has worked before with Sony.
I'd rather it be those two too

due to history of collaborating and working with Sony (knowing the ropes) as well as what they strategically bring

Last edited:

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Ugh, anyone over RAD please. Even Sanzaru games is preferable. Both do great VR work, granted. At least I trust Sanzaru with Sly (mostly because no one else wants to develop a new game :/), but im going to need A LOT of evidencie to see RAD's worth in non VR AAA development.

Status
Not open for further replies.