• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see a point in "reviving" an IP like Wild ARMs or Legend of Dragoon if you're just going to turn it into yet another action game. We have enough of those already.
Sounds like you reject the idea of remaking classic rpgs in the first place. You probably aren't the target market for remakes in general I'm going to guess.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
You really think Bluepoint would take a classic turn-based RPG and KEEP it turn-based when "reimagining" it? You're more optimistic than I am, clearly.
You are making an assumption on a theoretical game's theoretical design, you are reeaaaaching just as much as the people who would trust the studio with the IP (just in an incredibly pessimistic way).

Eirik Furu

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
For those asking about the new IP from Bluepoint claims: I don't think they've confirmed a new IP is in development, but they said the following to Eurogamer two years ago:
"One area that we've not explored very deeply is, 'What does our design prowess looks like? What is our ability to build something original and to expand it, rather than just upgrading something?' and so we look at those things and we are constantly trying to enhance and strengthen the studio to get to a point where, yeah, doing original development or whatever comes our way, we're fully capable of doing it."

www.eurogamer.net

Bluepoint's next game is another remake

Bluepoint Games has confirmed that its next project in the wake of the stunning Shadow of the Colossus for PlayStation …

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Alundra?!

source.gif

head_rider2.jpg

I love Alundra so much although not all the jokes would land today :P. This reminds me I need to replay it, I have a flight cross country on Thursday, a perfect time to use my Vita.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
why do you think BluePoint would turn it into an action game?

so far they stayed true to the original game when remaking it in terms of gameplay

Remaking a PS1 game is a little different than remaking a PS2 or a PS3 game that already has a full 3D camera. You're, in no small measure, making an entirely new game at that point.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Remaking a PS1 game is a little different than remaking a PS2 or a PS3 game that already has a full 3D camera. You're, in no small measure, making an entirely new game at that point.
but that doesn't have anything to do with the combat choice of it being action or turn based?

it could go either way but nothing hints at BP somehow choosing to go and make it action based if they ever did get their hands on it

you can spin the camera around and around and still have it be turned based

how many dual analog stick with free camera games are there in this recent day and age and are still turn based JRPGs

let alone for combat you can even choose, development wise to make said camera be fixed

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
FFVII Remake turned from a full blown TB system to action and turn based, everything from people who played it loved. Including old school people who loved the OG FFVII. If you want only turn based RPGs nowadays, you're going to be disappointed.

head_rider2.jpg

I love Alundra so much although not all the jokes would land today :P. This reminds me I need to replay it, I have a flight cross country on Thursday, a perfect time to use my Vita.
I can't believe this is real.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FFVII Remake turned from a full blown TB system to action and turn based, everything from people who played it loved. Including old school people who loved the OG FFVII. If you want only turn based RPGs nowadays, you're going to be disappointed.

The problem isn't wanting only turn-based RPGs. It's wanting any. I'm tired of every single big RPG franchise becoming a drawn-out mashfest with hitsponge enemies. That's all we get nowadays.

There should be room in the world for a Wild ARMs reimagining that uses turn-based combat instead of transforming into a third person shooter.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The problem isn't wanting only turn-based RPGs. It's wanting any. I'm tired of every single big RPG franchise becoming a drawn-out mashfest with hitsponge enemies. That's all we get nowadays.

There should be room in the world for a Wild ARMs reimagining that uses turn-based combat instead of transforming into a third person shooter.
Turn based combat doesn't get the amount of sales to make full blown AAA games. Persona which a costs a shit ton less than the new FFVII, or FFXV, KH or other big AAA RPG (any western ones) is an exception. If you want something in terms of budget/production of a top tier AAA j or w RPG, it doesn't make any financial sense to make it turn based. I prefer hybrid if they abandon turn based. If it's a high budget AA or low budget AAA that's different.

What you want is not feasible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Turn based combat doesn't get the amount of sales to make full blown AAA games. Persona which a costs a shit ton less than the new FFVII, or FFXV, KH or other big AAA RPG (any western ones) is an exception. If you want something in terms of budget/production of a top tier AAA j or w RPG, it doesn't make any financial sense to make it turn based. I prefer hybrid if they abandon turn based. If it's a high budget AA or low budget AAA that's different.

What you want is not feasible.

Then, as I said: leave those IPs dead. Simple as that.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Bluepoint, Remedy and RAD are perfect fits for Sony.

I was going to ask the same thing. Who do you think Sony will announce they acquired during PS Meeting?
Bluepoint
Remedy
Kojima Productions
Or all?
You added Ready At dawn but I don't know if they want to. All i want is that they give them another chance wiith new Order game with better gameplay or another game using that amazing engine. Imagine the graphics they can pull on PS5.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
More turn based games would be nice. In a world where Persona 5, Dragon Quest and Pokémon exist which are all successful in their own rights.

Of course, they're franchises with varying levels of high prestige, but reviving dormant JRPG franchises with a sensible budget would be much appreciated. A financial risk to be sure, but I'd like to see Sony take that risk given the audience they've built up on PlayStation since the 90's.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony, just acquire all of the following and you'll be all set!

Zenimax
Sega
Bluepoint
Remedy
Ready At Dawn
KojiPro
Housemarque
Supermassive

And maybe if they can scrape together some change from the couch cushions also pick up Take Two.

C'mon Sony, do this and you're guaranteed to sell 500 million PS5's minimum.

:D

EDIT.
Shit, I forgot to add Capcom. Hmm, ok maybe I won't be too greedy and push my luck with that one. I suppose I'll settle for the above list. ;)

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It's real.

Though the true context was lot funnier, because it's actually for puzzle solving.

Indeed in order to solve a puzzle you have to jump on her head :P.

Was this game aiming for a T or a M rating back then?

It was rated T.

Any new rumors?
Or still the same ones from yesterday?

The only thing I saw was Patrick Klepeck said more PS5 news in February. Not sure if you saw that. Just lines up behind the other people saying that stuff.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
More turn based games would be nice. In a world where Persona 5, Dragon Quest and Pokémon exist which are all successful in their own rights.

Of course, they're franchises with varying levels of high prestige, but reviving dormant JRPG franchises with a sensible budget would be much appreciated. A financial risk to be sure, but I'd like to see Sony take that risk given the audience they've built up on PlayStation since the 90's.

We get a turn based Yakuza JRPG this year and that will be something unique with the Yakuza setting :)

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
head_rider2.jpg

Man, I really don't remember that part... I clearly need to go play Alundra again.

I just remember all the really depressing stuff that happens during the course of the story. The story takes some dark turns the further you venture in.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
It's sad that most devs ignoring gyro aiming but it's even more sad that also most Sony devs are not using it as an optional possibility...
Especially a big and famous studio like Naughty Dog should use all controller functions but UC4 got no gyro update and Tlou2 will probably also not support it :/

Before playing Days Gone with gyro, I thought that I have to move the controller all the time and that I will only try it for a short time.
But that's not the case, the gamestyle is the same but for the last bit of precision, a little controller move is very effective.

And imo it feels more immersive.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
It's sad that most devs ignoring gyro aiming but it's even more sad that also most Sony devs are not using it as an optional possibility...
Especially a big and famous studio like Naughty Dog should use all controller functions but UC4 got no gyro update and Tlou2 will probably also not support it :/
Now this is actually I don't get...

Naughty Dog didn't even have the initiative to implement it themselves, instead waiting for us/fans/buyers asked them first?

Granted, I'm not seeing anyone wanted/asking gyro aiming for U4; but since Part II yet to be released, I also hope they implement it.

More options are indeed better, including options to choose Cinematic (30fps) or Performance (60fps) for Part II.

But will they even gonna do it?

I even gonna say, unfortunately, probably, chances are they wont for launch... : /

Very love to be proven wrong, but not hoping that much...

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Now this is actually I don't get...

Naughty Dog didn't even have the initiative to implement it themselves, instead waiting for us/fans/buyers asked them first?

Granted, I'm not seeing anyone wanted/asking gyro aiming for U4; but since Part II yet to be released, I also hope they implement it.

More options are indeed better, including options to choose Cinematic (30fps) or Performance (60fps) for Part II.

But will they even gonna do it?

I even gonna say, unfortunately, probably, chances are they wont for launch... : /

Very love to be proven wrong, but not hoping that much...

There were threads in the past like that one at gamefaqs.

But not many people asking probably for more PS4 gyro support because mostly no one knows or tried it.
And when even big devs like ND ignoring it, there are not many games to experience gyro beside Days Gone...

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Yakuza or Judgment are way more sexist than anything in Alundra and here they are, being played and cheered by a growing fan base, including me. It's not gonna be Alundra, but I hope they'd be faithful to the original when that day comes.

On acquisitions, what's obvious for this person could be not for others, so his comment (intentionally) doesn't clarify much. I'd go with Bluepoint or Housemarque, but these studios already had SIE's financial backing.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
there are not many games to experience gyro beside Days Gone...
Third person, especially, shooters could & should have option for gyro-aiming.

Even Nintendo doing it with their Splatoon.

Almost baffling to me, a giant first-party studio like Naughty Dog wont even consider implementing it (?).

It ought to be useful for MP too...

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza or Judgment are way more sexist than anything in Alundra and here they are, being played and cheered by a growing fan base, including me. It's not gonna be Alundra, but I hope they'd be faithful to the original when that day comes.

On acquisitions, what's obvious for this person could be not for others, so his comment (intentionally) doesn't clarify much. I'd go with Bluepoint or Housemarque, but these studios already had SIE's financial backing.

If you're talking about the joke above, Working Designs were known for taking liberties with some of the translations. I mean, you can be certain that the Japanese version of Lunar didn't include a joke about Bill Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.