• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
If you're talking about the joke above, Working Designs were known for taking liberties with some of the translations. I mean, you can be certain that the Japanese version of Lunar didn't include a joke about Bill Clinton.
This is probably a tall order, but do we have the original dialogue for reference? Whatever the joke's origin, you know it's neither strange for Japanese developers to write less-than-sensitive portraits of women. I think it's not much to be shocked by, compared to the things we can see nowadays in other titles.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
x8VYo4t.jpg

pSvCKbr.jpg
First off , that last of us 2 case is amazing. I like the border less aspect. Just that the Horizon case doesn't showcase what the game is about that much. Or highlights Aloy. Fantastic work tho, I'm already treating this as if we're official lol.
And certainly Sony would want to distinguish the PS5 game cases from the PS4's. Translucent black maybe?

dope stuff all around man.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a tall order, but do we have the original dialogue for reference? Whatever the joke's origin, you know it's neither strange for Japanese developers to write less-than-sensitive portraits of women. I think it's not much to be shocked by, compared to the things we can see nowadays in other titles.

I don't think so. I'm just pointing out that during those days there was a love/hate relationship with WD. Their translations were fantastic, but they were known for adding their own spice to them, which rubbed some the wrong way. This was especially true when it came to them writing jokes.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on my lunch break and i popped in here expecting something even though i new nothing of value was to be revealed in the last 12 hours...i'm desperate and it feels unhealthy. Where you all like this last gen? I totally missed the pre-reveal hype train. Mostly because i wasnt single back then...

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Sony screwed Dreams marketing in the past, but doing a pre release and getting creators make content for it before full release, was the smartest thing.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony, just acquire all of the following and you'll be all set!

Zenimax
Sega
Bluepoint
Remedy
Ready At Dawn
KojiPro
Housemarque
Supermassive

And maybe if they can scrape together some change from the couch cushions also pick up Take Two.

C'mon Sony, do this and you're guaranteed to sell 500 million PS5's minimum.

:D

EDIT.
Shit, I forgot to add Capcom. Hmm, ok maybe I won't be too greedy and push my luck with that one. I suppose I'll settle for the above list. ;)
lol I was going to say, why don't you toss in Capcom and Square while your are at it :P

talk about dominance

So he's the guy created this too?

Amazing...

Creating adorable original characters & music, and getting hired in the end.

this is adorably cute

Nov 8, 2017
I've been seeing all of the congratulatory tweets for Connie Booth's introduction into the AIAS hall of fame but it struck me that I have no idea what a VP of product development actually does. The tweets pretty much all say that she was critical in their games success but none say why. Do any of you know what the job entails and why it's so important to studios? Shannon Studstill also has that title in addition to being the head of Santa Monica studio. The most I could find is that they are responsible for managing the day to day details at a number of studios but what does that actually entail? Like what decisions would they be responsible for?

I saw that most recently, Connie worked closely with Pixel Opus who made Concrete Genie which I loved.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
They should bring the good ol' CD cases back.

9Q0XTxU.jpg
God no! There's a good reason why packaging changed since the PS1 era. Having room around the disc reduces significantly the chances of getting hit and damaged by impacts. Also, art-wise, square canvas/template is annoying when you want to come up with an interesting composition. So much room would be cropped out.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
I've been seeing all of the congratulatory tweets for Connie Booth's introduction into the AIAS hall of fame but it struck me that I have no idea what a VP of product development actually does. The tweets pretty much all say that she was critical in their games success but none say why. Do any of you know what the job entails and why it's so important to studios? Shannon Studstill also has that title in addition to being the head of Santa Monica studio. The most I could find is that they are responsible for managing the day to day details at a number of studios but what does that actually entail? Like what decisions would they be responsible for?
I don't work in game development but I do work in product development. In my experience, the role is typically quite similar to a project manager. Leadership comes to us and tells us what sorts of initiatives they want us to undertake and our job is to determine what that looks like. We're often involved at a very high level before assigning out more detailed lower level work to other departments.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the most obvious choices for future acquisitions are Bluepoint, Housemarque and Arrowhead. But at the same time Sony could keep funding their projects as 2nd party developers and only acquire them if they make any sort of hit that could become a tentpole for Sony (like they did with Insomniac after the success of Spiderman).

For acquisition based on relationships, i suppose RaD, KojiPro or genDesign, but the 2nd and the 3rd ones seems to value their independence pretty high so i doubt it.

Remedy is still too farfetched imho.

Other than thar, i would love for Sony to invest in a couple of AAA Japanese projects or acquire developers like Matrix Software or MediaVision, and try to give the 'Sony' spin to JRPGs.

Still, i think most of this will happen during the gen.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I think the most obvious choices for future acquisitions are Bluepoint, Housemarque and Arrowhead. But at the same time Sony could keep funding their projects as 2nd party developers and only acquire them if they make any sort of hit that could become a tentpole for Sony (like they did with Insomniac after the success of Spiderman).

For acquisition based on relationships, i suppose RaD, KojiPro or genDesign, but the 2nd and the 3rd ones seems to value their independence pretty high so i doubt it.

Remedy is still too farfetched imho.

Other than thar, i would love for Sony to invest in a couple of AAA Japanese projects or acquire developers like Matrix Software or MediaVision, and try to give the 'Sony' spin to JRPGs.

Still, i think most of this will happen during the gen.
I think remedy will do an exclusive ps5 game and depending on how that goes it will decide things

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
They should wait on BP and Housemarque acquisitions until they do their own AAA IPs (well...maybe not Bluepoint, I think they've proven their talent enough)
I would also wait on Remedy until they've collaborated on an exclusive game first
Maaan I hope so, don't know if I can go another gen with this thread if I gotta put up with 8 years of JRPG whining

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
A void was left after Mass Effect. It's the one genre I think Sony has yet to really play its hand. If no Studio is currently interesting in one, I hope a JRPG studio is being formed or it's a genre Japan studio is tackling. It is annoying seeing complaining posts in any topic but RPG's have pretty much been done by 3rd parties on PS4. I think there's a lot of demand for a first party take on the genre.

Having said that I do think Horizon will double down on more RPG elements and so will God of War. Maybe no one currently has come up with a good idea for a AAA party system RPG yet. It's not as easy as we think, look at SE going back to FF7.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017

I saw that most recently, Connie worked closely with Pixel Opus who made Concrete Genie which I loved.
For example, when Bryan Intihar and its team had to do reshoots for Spider-Man cinematic because they thought afterwards that these changes will improve the dialog, the tone, etc... but planning/budget was already made and didn't allow them to do those reshoots, they had to contact Sony (via Connie I guess) to ask if they could do these reshoots and then reschedule the planning, etc...

Ultimately, Connie is here to accept or not the requests of developers but she probably wants the best for them and works to allow them to improve their games

She was the one who contacted Insomniac to offer them that Marvel deal

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
DBZ is surprise of the year so far. It's genuinely great. So you can go play something now and not worry about Sony updates for now. Lol

Here's the opening three hours of the game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Cant really say I'm excited for Predator (still looks janky in my opinion) but happy for Gio, he stuck up for the Vita and the whole building the list thing (I owe him for life for the whole Yakuza 5 localisation). Hope he does well there :)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
We ate getting so many case concepts that i will inevitabily be disappointed when it is going to be PS4 one but with a 5 on it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.