• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WillySJ3

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That would be me, I already have mostly everything for the main OT, there's a secondary one I'm doing which I got permission for that'll be going up the same day.

To clarify:
  • Dreams |OT| will be an OT mainly for the discussion of the game. This would be about reviews, the game itself, updates etc and all of that.
  • There will be a secondary |OT| that'll be called Dreams Creators |OT| that'll be used for people who want to make things, need help, share things and talk about the creating aspect of Dreams. This will give the creators their own place to talk about collaborating, sharing their projects, talking about hugs or needing solutions cause they can't figure out stuff like Logic etc.
I hope this clears everything up guys :)
That sounds awesome, thanks.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I still don't get the belief that any product might become a success with enough marketing and TV commercials. If that was the case, then available money to spare would be the only limit for anything undesirable to turn into a commercial hit.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Decided to go digital. Sold my 98 PS4 games, my 56 PS3 games. I saved PS2 and PS1 discs though. And ofcourse, the only physical copy I saved was...

PLAYSTATION ALL STARS BATTLE ROYALE

I fucking hate that I love that game so much, I will never get my sequel.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Dreams is releasing tomorrow for early access, and we still don't know about when the embargo left (or if there's even one to begin with). You'd think Sony would want reviews to hit early to build hype, but nope nothing.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Dreams is releasing tomorrow for early access, and we still don't know about when the embargo left (or if there's even one to begin with). You'd think Sony would want reviews to hit early to build hype, but nope nothing.

I thought that the one thing Dreams could bet on in its lead up to release day was some word of mouth generated by glowing reviews, but nope, not even that. I figured this would be a game that would have its embargo lifted a week or so prior to release day because MM have always been critical darlings, but we still don't even know when exactly the reviews are due to come in. Sad state of affairs really.

Oct 1, 2019
Fair enough, but there is an argument to be made that Sony might not want to roll the dice with new studios possibly running themselves into the ground, which is always a risk. Sony might find it safer to pump money into their established studios that want to expand and have proven to be well lead, and have them increase their output. We already know plenty SIE studios are expanding, and doing just that.

Do we roll the dice with a Housemarque acquisition(which I love to death, and would absolutely go to bat for), do we fund another Naughty Dog team, or do we bankroll the next Street Fighter for Capcom? Sony is not always going to have the drive or the resources to do all 3 at once
I agree. I think it'll be difficult for Sony to follow what Microsoft did with their acquisitions. I theorize that their war chest is much smaller compared to MS, and with a tighter budget, it's just less risky to put those funds into well established studios.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's most likely either today or tomorrow if I were to guess. But a week early reviews won't be useful for this game, to have it's reviews drowned by other news throughout the week, 3 to 4 days before launch makes more sense

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I think it'll be difficult for Sony to follow what Microsoft did with their acquisitions. I theorize that their war chest is much smaller compared to MS, and with a tighter budget, it's just less risky to put those funds into well established studios.
Why would you think they have a smaller/tighter budget? PS is the single biggest sector of their entire business and Sony is doing better than ever.

I would also avoid comparisons with MS in this regard. Two entirely different situations. Sony wouldn't need to buy that many studios in the first place.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I predict IGN will give it a 9.

Gamespot, maybe a 9.

EDGE could be 10.

I don't know...

I never win lottery...

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
So what do we do if we don't hear anything tomorrow?
Wait until Wednesday.

I still don't get the belief that any product might become a success with enough marketing and TV commercials. If that was the case, then available money to spare would be the only limit for anything undesirable to turn into a commercial hit.
Blaming Sony for their favorite niche game failing seems like a coping mechanism at this point, just let them cook.

Last edited:

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

The way they're handling it means there is no review embargo. I can't really speak for other publications, but in Push Square's case we'll get the patch to upgrade the Early Access version at the same time as everyone else.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Today's the day we hear about ps5?! Right everybody?!
im-waiting-gif-11.gif

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
That's because VR was a mistake. All it did was take resources from Vita games and PS4 games and create games that sell nothing and do absolutely nothing to spread the brand. Rigs killed a studio, Manchester killed itself. I don't see any studios getting a massive hit from VR and becoming a bigger studio and getting a larger budget for their next game. Usually people release their VR game and then disappear. It's terrible.
You're doing a lot of assumptions based on one example. Cambridge is the only studio that was shut down after releasing a game in VR and you have absolutely no idea why the studio was shut down. The truth is that the studio had a very poor output post-PS2 with the only remarkable games being LBP PSP and Killzone Mercenary in the 10 year period preceding Rigs. Two games to a degree built on the work of other Sony studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they were kept alive so long thanks to the Vita and VR because none of their works were "PS4 quality".

Manchester was a studio that was created to do VR so it wouldn't have existed without the medium. If you don't want VR then you can't really fault VR for shutting down a studio that existed solely to do VR.

I'm convinced that Sony execs are aware that VR might need a few loss leaders to succeed and that they are not expecting current gen VR games to sell like AAA flat screen games. Major corporations are not run by stupid people.

Did you try VR? I think it's pretty awesome personally "being inside the game" and I hope it has a future on PlayStation.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The way they're handling it means there is no review embargo. I can't really speak for other publications, but in Push Square's case we'll get the patch to upgrade the Early Access version at the same time as everyone else.
no review copies? seriously?!
what a dumb move by them, this game is gurranteed to score high and they just ignore it to this level

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's not good. So the reviews are just going to randomly pop up on Metacritic and go unnoticed. No pre-release hype due to the (likely) high scoring reviews.

Sony are just pushing this game out aren't they.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't the 'full' release just a 2-3 hour campaign and for the rest the same as the EA version? I mean what did you expect. Every media outlet already has the EA version and will just get a patch (as will everyone that owns the EA version).

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Isn't the 'full' release just a 2-3 hour campaign and for the rest the same as the EA version? I mean what did you expect. Every media outlet already has the EA version and will just get a patch (as will everyone that owns the EA version).
but it means reviews will be staggered instead of doing it all in the same time, having the reviews in the same time at least gives dreams an hour of fame where everyone is talking just about it, with the reviews spread all throughout the week depending on when the reviewers played the campaign and written their review just means no one will pay attention to them. thats a mistake of the marketing team that will only further kill any chances of this game being profitable.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
but it means reviews will be staggered instead of doing it all in the same time, having the reviews in the same time at least gives dreams an hour of fame where everyone is talking just about it, with the reviews spread all throughout the week depending on when the reviewers played the campaign and written their review just means no one will pay attention to them. thats a mistake of the marketing team that will only further kill any chances of this game being profitable.

I don't see how Sony could do anything about that though. Send them another copy? They already have that exact same copy. This is a problem with every early acces game. There is no fix.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't know what's going on with other publications, maybe they did get review code. But my understanding is that everyone's just waiting for the Early Access copies to update to the final version.

I think some of you need to get over this. Sony's not trying to sabotage anything -- in fact, here in the UK I know for a fact that they really want this game to be a success -- but ultimately Media Molecule's made something here that's extremely difficult to package in a 30-second commercial.

I can already see the doom and gloom forum threads emerging when this game inevitably lands in the low 30s of the UK sales charts next week, but the circumstances for this project are so unique that you can't really compare it to traditional AAA fare. It's a prestige project for Sony and it will have a long lifespan.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just give them the campaign earlier and tell them to release their review by today?

I highly doubt Sony wants review based on a 2 hour campaign. Dreams is amazing but the campaign sounds like a 'starter inspirational' guide for creators. The meat of the game (and what reviews should be about) is the content that has been accessible for months.

Dreams is here for the long run and will be a success (i'm willing to bet), but it will not get a push. This will be a slow burn where more and more content will find the mainsteam audience and will peak their interest. Youtuber, creators, content creators are the one that will help this product become a succes, not reviews.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know what's going on with other publications, maybe they did get review code. But my understanding is that everyone's just waiting for the Early Access copies to update to the final version.

I think some of you need to get over this. Sony's not trying to sabotage anything -- in fact, here in the UK I know for a fact that they really want this game to be a success -- but ultimately Media Molecule's made something here that's extremely difficult to package in a 30-second commercial.

I can already see the doom and gloom forum threads emerging when this game inevitably lands in the low 30s of the UK sales charts next week, but the circumstances for this project are so unique that you can't really compare it to traditional AAA fare. It's a prestige project for Sony and it will have a long lifespan.
So when will your review will go up? Is there even a point waiting for the campaign if there is no embargo?

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
And I really don't think Sony expect big numbers on Dreams (both in scores and sales). For them, it's probably a game that will be justified in 4 or 6 years if they really keep the support.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I get that this is Uncharted territory when it comes to Sony trying to market a game, but this was just an odd run up to a game.

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna

Some here are still acting like MS is buying every month a AAA studio xD

But in reality most of their acquisitions were way smaller than Sony's Insomniac purchase.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
For dreams reviews being out after everything set up and more levels being made seem like the best thing .
The 2 to 3 hour campaign not going to have a great effect when the tools , building and sharing aspect much more important .

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Maybe tomorrow (Tuesday), but I wouldn't count on it.

In January I was really expecting the event announcement to hit anyday, but now I wouldn't be surprised if we only get something around May or June, they better wait it out, with the Coronavirus still quarantining whole cities and all, who knows how hard this might impact their plans for a PS5 launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.