• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 45773

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 10, 2018
Even though not knowing the date of the PS5 reveal or the launch isn't going to change how long we have to wait, the unknown makes it FEEL like we have been/going to be/are in the dark forever.

That post on playstation.com about signing up for PS5 news makes me think the reveal is 1-3 months out.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right about the need to sign up Publishers on board for a launch windows, but regarding 2013 you kinda misremember

Sure MS went all out by signing up EA for years (not just sports but also Respawn with Titanfall) as well as Capcom (exclusive Dead Rising), Crytek (Ryse) or in a mini coup Konami (MGSV having a trailer at their E3) , but although Sony wouldn't fully sign Activision on board until 2015 (with COD marketing) Destiny was a huge deal, but not the only 3rd party on board.
Rockstar was already going hand in hand for marketing (GTAV), and Warner were also present with their latest Batman game presented and the weirdly PS4 exclusive Injustice (though a year later Shadow of Mordor would be XB1 aligned).

It just fluctuates depending on relationships, co marketing deals and circumstances, but generally publishers like to spread the love between platforms.

Arkham knight was revealed early April 2014. So PS came into the gen with Destiny and old retained rights for GTAV. Destiny became more important as an IP because of other factors which we wont go into here.

But the point that PS5 is going into the next generation with more third party support than any ps console in the last 17 years is something we need to consider. Due to PS4's stellar success it's nolonger a case of "when" the PS5 reveal will happen. More so "How" the PS5 will be unveiled.

Keighley will either be MC of the PS5 event or have a role in interviewing devs with more hands on/gameplay after they've left the main stage. Again, he has to go where the content is.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
they will just focus in the ps4 for the big games release this year
and they want selling a lot of software and hardware as they can before the next gen
i think we will start to hear about PS5 after the last of us or near E3
What doesn't jibe with that though is Sony telling shareholders on the investor call that the PS5 reveal timeline would be similar to the PS4 reveal. PS4 was revealed in February. Now, I have no idea how the Coronavirus disease is affecting their timeline.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I've officially given up hope expecting a PS5 reveal anytime soon. DriftingSpirit please carry on the torch of positivity and please remember me when the time comes.

QcpQxh0.gif

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arkham knight was revealed early April 2014. So PS came into the gen with Destiny and old retained rights for GTAV. Destiny became more important as an IP because of other factors which we wont go into here.

But the point that PS5 is going into the next generation with more third party support than any ps console in the last 17 years is something we need to consider. Due to PS4's stellar success it's nolonger a case of "when" the PS5 reveal will happen. More so "How" the PS5 will be unveiled.

Keighley will either be MC of the PS5 event or have a role in interviewing devs with more hands on/gameplay after they've left the main stage. Again, he has to go where the content is.
Aye it wasn't Arkham Knight, but Mad Max that got a reveal at Sony's E3 2013 so WB support anyways, on top of Square with the FF XV+ Kingdom Hearts III double punch. And Ubi with Watchdogs and AC4.
Acti also showed Diablo 3 on PS4 if memory serves...

Anyway you cut it, Sony had already signed partners for marketing at different levels, just like MS... #shrug

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
I looked at my PS4 preorder date a while back and I think it was June 13. So apparently vendors are ok with starting to take preorders as late as June. I guess they do need some time to make listings and estimate how many preorders they can take. So imo worst case would be a SoP closing with a "preorder now" in June. On the other hand, we've seen listings being leaked early. So if Sony wants to avoid that, the latest announcement window would be May.

Yes, the pre-orders started right before E3 where the price was announced.

But 1st reveal and Pre-Orders opening are 2 different things. Proof is the 1st reveal was in February.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
What about the price? Do you think that Sony will again bet on 399$ as the sweet spot for consumers? Or should we expect a higher price?

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Please Sony, Make this the one game you put on other platforms. I truly believe it could be the next minecraft. At LEAST put it on PC.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I wonder if Mm, SIE, or both, are pushing for a PC release as soon as possible.
Please Sony, Make this the one game you put on other platforms. I truly believe it could be the next minecraft. At LEAST put it on PC.
Any other platforms other than PC are out of the question... But I really do hope they let the game go to PC

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Mm, SIE, or both, are pushing for a PC release as soon as possible.

Any other platforms other than PC are out of the question... But I really do hope they let the game go to PC
PC is enough in my opinion. PlayStation and PC are arguably the two biggest gaming platforms on the planet (if we ignore mobile) if its on both, most people will get a chance to play.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
How come? I could see dreams having some really long legs.

Because minecraft is virtual legos. Dreams is far far too complicated for little kids to pick up and build incredible dreams. Dreams is and always will be a niche product.( my opinion)

edit- while that's my opinion in the 2nd half, I will state with 99.999999% certainty that dreams will never have remotely the same appeal as minecraft.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
sure but you don't think people will enjoy the dreamsurfing aspect of it?

That's not in the same stratosphere of what made minecraft one of the most popular/successful games ever made. I think people will enjoy it then move on tbh. The LBP creations were truly incredible as well, but it never really took off on the mainstream level many predicted. That also had the super appealing sackboy and a much easier to use creation aspect.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
That's not in the same stratosphere of what made minecraft one of the most popular/successful games ever made. I think people will enjoy it then move on tbh. The LBP creations were truly incredible as well, but it never really took off on the mainstream level many predicted. That also had the super appealing sackboy and a much easier to use creation aspect.
Cool. I'm not sure I totally agree but I appreciate your take and see where you are coming from.

Gerwant

Oct 27, 2017
sure but you don't think people will enjoy the dreamsurfing aspect of it?

When I see on YouTube some great stuff people are making in Dreams, I'm like "oh, that's cool" and I forget about it after 5 minutes. It doesn't make me want to buy Dreams to play those 5-minute mini-games. I suspect it's the same for most people.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
When I see on YouTube some great stuff people are making in Dreams, I'm like "oh, that's cool" and I forget about it after 5 minutes. It doesn't make me want to buy Dreams to play those 5-minute mini-games. I suspect it's the same for most people.

It absolutely is. The stuff made in LBP2 was absolutely crazy. You had shmups, you had 2d pixelart type games, you had mario in LBP. Obviously dreams is far more impressive... but it doesn't change that it's a neat tech demo but not much more. I definitely will play it to browse the best creations at some point. The thing about minecraft is that anybody can pick it up immediately and start building anything right away. That's just one of the major things it has going for it that brings it massive long lasting appeal. Dreams is not a casual pick up and create type game like that at all. I would bet my life dreams never even remotely sniffs minecraft success.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe true. Might do well for streamers though. Seems like a great game for that kinda thing.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe true. Might do well for streamers though. Seems like a great game for that kinda thing.

www.youtube.com

LittleBigPlanet 3 - Super Mario Maker

Level: Super Mario Maker (SMB Style) 2019Creator: Claptrap9Game: LittleBigPlanet 3Console: PlayStation 4Rate: 8.4/10
www.youtube.com

Super Mario Maker 2 on PS4?! Checking Out the Revamped Editor-Within-an-Editor!

ClapTrap9 is back! The 14 year old LittleBigPlanet 3 content creator has made Super Mario Maker within LBP again, this time including elements found in Super...

LBP2+3 had some incredible stuff like this. It might do well with streamers... I think it's much better off as a one off "look at this!" type thing on youtube. I don't think that will drive a lot of sales at all. Also the creations in dreams take hundreds-thousands of hours, I don't think streaming the creation aspect will ever have big twitch appeal.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Look, i get, Sony fumbled the marketing, the game is not likely going to even reach top 20 in the UK charts.

It's review day, can we not enjoy seeing reviews roll in? Mm deserves that at least. Let them have their day.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Look, i get, Sony fumbled the marketing, the game is not likely going to even reach top 20 in the UK charts.

It's review day, can we not enjoy seeing reviews roll in? Mm deserves that at least. Let them have their day.

Well for one this isn't the review thread, and 2 having discussion is perfectly fine. I think hyperbole like "this is the next minecraft" is pretty ridiculous personally.

edit- I also don't think sony fumbled the marketing at all... how does one market this game? The campaign isn't the focus so you can't really push that angle, and the most attention grabbing creations are of other IPs so you can't really push that angle. It's a game that will have to live and die on youtube and word of mouth. Again I don't think one off amazing videos will do much more than draw a wow, but again this is my personal opinion.

Last edited:

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Well for one this isn't the review thread, and 2 having discussion is perfectly fine. I think hyperbole like "this is the next minecraft" is pretty ridiculous personally.
No this is not the review thread.. in this thread people should be able to share their hyperbole in peace. Besides what do you know anyway? It could be the next Minecraft or not.. you never know.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
2020 sucks so far. I was hoping PS5 reveal was gonna light up this darkness. Just thinking Trump winning again. 1st world problems I know. It's getting a little too dark for my taste though.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
No this is not the review thread.. in this thread people should be able to share their hyperbole in peace. Besides what do you know anyway? It could be the next Minecraft or not.. you never know.

LOL this line of thinking is worthless. By that logic literally any game ever could be the next minecraft. There are actual reasons behind why these things play out the way they do. Also if you're cool with positive hyperbole, why is it so wrong to have negative hyperbole? Hell my negativity isn't even negativity, it's simply "this isn't remotely minecraft". Stop being so defensive.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL this line of thinking is worthless. By that logic literally any game ever could be the next minecraft. There are actual reasons behind why these things play out the way they do. Also if you're cool with positive hyperbole, why is it so wrong to have negative hyperbole? Hell my negativity isn't even negativity, it's simply "this isn't remotely minecraft". Stop being so defensive.
You're right tho. And it's easy to see why. Minecraft can be played everywhere, by everyone. A little child can pick it up and play. Dreams is way too complicated (and something totally different) compared the Minecraft. All good. People need to chill.

Oct 25, 2017
If you having a hard time talking about the Sony first party title beyond Bomba you can always come in here everybody's nice and helpful

www.resetera.com

Dreams |OT| What Games Are Made Of

Welcome to the Dreams ResetERA OT! Review Thread | Dreams Early Access |OT| | Dreams Creators |OT| (Coming Soon if there's a high demand for this!) | According to IGN’s Youtube Video, “Explaining Art’s Dream, the ‘Story Mode’ Inside Dreams”, there’s a still with a description for...

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
You're right tho. And it's easy to see why. Minecraft can be played everywhere, by everyone. A little child can pick it up and play. Dreams is way too complicated (and something totally different) compared the Minecraft. All good. People need to chill.

Agreed totally. Dreams can be fine as its own thing and it's great that it's reviewing well. Pointing out that it won't be one of the single most successful pieces of property ever created is not negative or hyperbolic at all.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
If you having a hard time talking about the Sony first party title beyond Bomba you can always come in here everybody's nice and helpful

www.resetera.com

Dreams |OT| What Games Are Made Of

Welcome to the Dreams ResetERA OT! Review Thread | Dreams Early Access |OT| | Dreams Creators |OT| (Coming Soon if there's a high demand for this!) | According to IGN’s Youtube Video, “Explaining Art’s Dream, the ‘Story Mode’ Inside Dreams”, there’s a still with a description for...

Has anybody in this thread used the word bomba or even implied the game would bomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.