• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Looks like Halley finally found that pinball machine that Neil was playing the other day

grosstastic_83720003_m9jku.jpg

Is she doing the Drake face?

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I really hope they don't remove anything from the console because of that. If the software (features and games) is impressive, people will not complain about paying $500. That's why they need some heavy hitters like Horizon 2, or something of that caliber
I doubt they will remove anything. The cancelled camera feature seems to be about dedicated cameras and not PS5.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
While $500 is certainly possible, I still think that $400 isn't out of question. We aren't talking about a PS3 situation where even at $600 they were still selling at the console at a several hundred dollar loss compared to how much the console was taking to build. But another big factor that's in play is PSN. Back when the PS3 launched some games were on PSN and others weren't. Now every game is on PSN and they have Plus on top of that. So, taking a loss isn't going to make them bleed like it did with the PS3. Particularly if that initial hit ensures that they can keep people within the PS ecosystem.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Even Sony's CFO thinks SIE is staying too quiet on the PS5, lmao
There is pressure from CFO Totoki for Sony to provide more transparency and information in the buildup to the PS5's release, which has caused some consternation internally.
Also, hopefully this means the PS5 won't be as insanely loud as the PS4:
Most of the components for the console have been locked down, the people said, including the cooling system, which is unusually expensive at a few dollars per unit. Typically, companies would spend less than a dollar, but Sony opted to lavish more on making sure heat dissipation from the powerful chips housed inside the console isn't an issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Some very quick notes from Remedy 2019 results

- Expect Control to be ported on PS5/Xbox Series X
- Project 3 (the next new IP after Control) and Project 4 (a multiplayer service game) are on preproduction
- 2020 will be CrossfireX and Control expansions only but they are expecting a better year financially
- They earned 5,2 M€ net profits in 2019, despite Control not setting the charts on fire
- 248 employees (24% growth in 2019)

Last edited:

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe that article from bloomberg is to check people reactions to the price, so Sony will have more input about how much they can cut the price.

Kaveri

Oct 28, 2017
That BoM is interesting. As far as I remember the PS4 cost 381 back in 2013 (please correct me if I'm wrong). Using an inflation calculator - that would be about 421 dollars today. So the PS5 would be beefier from a cost perspective, *if* it is sitting at 450. A clear sign that they are more confident going into the next generation.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Some very quick notes from Remedy 2019 results

- Expect Control to be ported on PS5/Xbox Series X
- Project 3 (the next new IP after Control) and Project 4 (a multiplayer service game) are on preproduction
- 2020 will be CrossfireX and Control expansions only but they are expecting a better year financially
- They earned 5,2 M€ net profits in 2019, despite Control not setting the charts on fire
- 248 employees (24% growth in 2019)
I just realized; Control GOTY Edition with Ray Tracing... alright looks like I'm gonna hold on a bit longer.

Oct 26, 2017
My prediction:

PS5 and XSX are going to be 500€/$
Both MS and Sony will take a loss, higher or lower depends on various factors
They will bet rely or bet on PS+ and Xbox Live/Gamepass to recoup cost as soon as possible; if not, i don't exclude a price increase for both services in 2021.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Lately all I've been thinking about The Last of Us is having at least one duet performance between Ellie and Joel, the chance to play guitar with Ellie at your own convenience, whenever you want, interacting with every neighbour and every store in Jackson, as if it was an expanded Nepal, a breathing place for the audience to inhabit and care about... I hope this redefinition of what a big project means comes from those little details, an organic downtime throughout the whole adventure, adding weight to your actions, inviting you to stay.

On a different order of things, it seems I was too optimistic with the future of Control: it was all but confirmed that it would be adapted to next-gen systems, but I expected a patch for current users, not a different version. Understandable, but hardly convincing at a time where their Season Pass content has not released yet; why buying it during this year, when that future release will most probably include all that, plus the technical benefits of running on a new hardware? It's not written on stone as of now, so let's see how exactly they approach this matter.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Art's Dream is really really really good.

Media Molecule is constantly praised for their past work and the creation platform they have given with Dreams, but the experience they delivered with Art's Dream is by far their shining moment as a studio. It just feels like a culmination of fun, creativity, and genius that leads to a very special and touching final piece of the game that leaves just think back at the whole thing and going "....Wow."

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
400 or 449 or 500 it's still a loss no matter what.

If making a console costs up to 450, without R&D, shipping, retailer cuts, marketing and such, even with 500 they ain't profiting at all.
499 would be like PS4, at loss but with a game, it's profitable

(BOM for PS4 was $381 and they were profitable early 2014 and at launch thanks to games sold)

399 seems impossible now

449 would be possible if they are ready to take a loss (probably ~$50/60 per unit) offset by games sold and PS4 being highly profitable (console itself + games + services)

But I'm sure Sony wonder if it worth it to have a $50 difference with MS (if they did a $499 console launch of course)

I still expect for FY2020 something like $17-18B Revenue and $1.6-$1.8B Profit thanks to TLOU Part II and Ghost of Tsushima + great third parties lineup

And this forecast of the next fiscal year might help Sony to take a loss thanks to PS4 profits

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
400 or 449 or 500 it's still a loss no matter what.

If making a console costs up to 450, without R&D, shipping, retailer cuts, marketing and such, even with 500 they ain't profiting at all.
I don't think you should include marketing and R&D, because Sony don't pay this price on each console.

With shipping, retailer cuts and other spending on each unit, PlayStation 5 would be profitable on each unit at $499 since launch. At $449, it would probably take arround one year to become profitable on a unit basis.

Jan 20, 2019
I don't think you should include marketing and R&D, because Sony don't pay this price on each console.

With shipping, retailer cuts and other spending on each unit, PlayStation 5 would be profitable on each unit at $499 since launch. At $449, it would probably take arround one year to become profitable on a unit basis.

No, 450$ bom is not the final price. You have to add retail, shippment and other costs. They will lose money even at 499.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Those Death Stranding technical achievements with Decima & PlayStation audio team.

giphy.gif

I figured someone could copy this one day in Dreams...

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Even Sony's CFO thinks SIE is staying too quiet on the PS5, lmao

Also, hopefully this means the PS5 won't be as insanely loud as the PS4:

You seem to point that as a proof that Sony made mistake by staying silent.
(Btw, just a friendly remember that back on the same day in 2013, we known less about the PS4 than we know about the PS5 today).

Well, it's also said that this "has caused some consternation internally"
So if he is the only one to point that, maybe he is the one who is wrong ?

Jan 20, 2019
You seem to point that as a proof that Sony made mistake by staying silent.
(Btw, just a friendly remember that back on the same day in 2013, we known less about the PS4 than we know about the PS5 today).

Well, it's also said that this "has caused some consternation internally"
So if he is the only one to point that, maybe he is the one who is wrong ?

He is CFO, so is talking about the investers stand point. He is not wrong, it just a diffente part of the companys future.

Phoenix15

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
He is CFO, so is talking about the investers stand point. He is not wrong, it just a diffente part of the companys future.

But he is not "right" either.

So mentioning that just don't have any sense in fact.

I mean.. Of course investers can't wait to estimate precisely the profit they will potentially made with PS5... And then what ?

Status
Not open for further replies.