• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hubertuss03

Banned
Oct 9, 2018
I think would be amazing if every WWS studio make their own 2-3 hour game for Dreams. Not big project ofc but some smaller experience.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
This attitude is going to attract a lot of hate, but it's ND… they're going to set visual and storytelling standards.

it's not cocky or anything and i feel that this may be accurate, this is the first non open world and non MP game to have 2 discs on Ps4, imagine the amount of quality assets and everything.

Oct 25, 2017
7OyncGY.png

Looks like a perfect date for PS5 reveal

(Sony Hall reservation calendar)

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
it's not cocky or anything and i feel that this may be accurate, this is the first non open world and non MP game to have 2 discs on Ps4, imagine the amount of quality assets and everything.
You bring up a good point there, and it kind of blows my mind.

Looking at scenes like this though it starts to add up.

8VB2IgR.gif

PlaintiveClearcutCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

(god of war boat vibes)

You can tell at some point the scope went through the roof. I'm not surprised they axed MP. Wide-linear sandbox areas look like they're going to be larger than even Uncharted 4. Then there's the fact that they're basically telling two interweaving stories, with different locations/assets. I suspect both of these stories are very large individually.

We see that NPCs look like this in-game:

tnYVGB6.gif

and the visuals (including all this motion matching animation tech)… fuck, I've not seen anything like it.

Q4De7nQ.gif

The facial animation work is incredible, but the work on the eyeballs is something else. One member of the team spent months redoing the eyeball technology, to give them refraction and internal reflection to give that convincing glisten & micro expressions.

uadNX9H.gif

AggravatingSoggyIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif

I believe them, and I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You bring up a good point there, and it kind of blows my mind.

Looking at scenes like this though it starts to add up.

8VB2IgR.gif

PlaintiveClearcutCanvasback-size_restricted.gif

(god of war boat vibes)

You can tell at some point the scope went through the roof. I'm not surprised they axed MP. Wide-linear sandbox areas look like they're going to be larger than even Uncharted 4. Then there's the fact that they're basically telling two interweaving stories, with different locations/assets. I suspect both of these stories are very large individually.

We see that NPCs look like this in-game:

tnYVGB6.gif

and the visuals (including all this motion matching animation tech)… fuck, I've not seen anything like it.

Q4De7nQ.gif

The facial animation work is incredible, but the work on the eyeballs is something else. One member of the team spent months redoing the eyeball technology, to give them refraction and internal reflection to give that convincing glisten & micro expressions.

uadNX9H.gif

AggravatingSoggyIriomotecat-size_restricted.gif

I believe them, and I believe this is just the tip of the iceberg.
That gif of her piloting the boat in the rain gives me chills every time. God I can't wait to see all of the environments in this game.

Deleted member 59992

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
TLOU PII releases 29th May. Its review embargo would probably be lifted around 7-10 days before its release. I think the PS5 conference would be on May 20 or 27 (both are Wednesday), just before the release of TLOU PII. Last year Sony revealed the release date of Death Stranding on May 29, Wednesday. So I think just like that and similar to the TLOU releasing after Sony's PS4 E3 conference in 2013 we would get the PS5 conference after the reviews and before the release of TLOU PII. This is just my guess.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
There's being confident and there's saying stuff like this. He wouldn't say that if it was just about graphics.
To clarify, I doubt its gameplay will redefine AAA.

He's the co-director of the game. You can bet he's not simply talking about visuals. Go read the impressions from the September previews if you don't think that ND's about to drop the hammer on those that have questioned their gameplay.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I find that tweet annoying. I haven't seen anything from Last of Us 2 that makes it look truly transcendent yet.

Still looking forward to the game of course though, just don't think it warrants that kind of cockiness from what I've seen.

You're annoyed that someone that's spent years of their life working on a game thinks they're making something really special?

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Oct 24, 2019
You're annoyed that someone that's spent years of their life working on a game thinks they're making something really special?

No. He has every right to think that. I just think a statement like that needlessly tries to elevate themselves above everyone else. You could argue that something like God of War re-defined the meaning of AAA back in 2018, but you didn't see Cory obnoxiously tweeting that months ahead of time.

It just comes off as "all these other AAA games people are working on are pretty good, but ours is on another level." Could be true, we won't know until it releases, but it's just an annoying tweet to me

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
No. He has every right to think that. I just think a statement like that needlessly tries to elevate themselves above everyone else. You could argue that something like God of War re-defined the meaning of AAA back in 2018, but you didn't see Cory obnoxiously tweeting that months ahead of time.

It just comes off as "all these other AAA games people are working on are pretty good, but ours is on another level." Could be true, we won't know until it releases, but it's just an annoying tweet to me
If anyone's earned some cocksure confidence, it's a dude working at Naughty Dog. You finding it annoying is really more up to your interpretation of his tweet. I read that tweet, and I just go "alright, hope you back that talk up".

Oct 24, 2019
If anyone's earned some cocksure confidence, it's a dude working at Naughty Dog. You finding it annoying is really more up to your interpretation of his tweet. I read that tweet, and I just go "alright, hope you back that talk up".

Oh I don't deny that it's just my interpretation or that he doesn't have some well-earned credibility.

I'm still entitled to feel however I want about his tweet though

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

When a player says "We're going to win (insert championship) this year", it's not dumping on other teams or players. It's them being confident of what they have. With that tweet, he's playing PII every day. They're likely at a point where the game is starting to fully come together as they polish it, so they're seeing exactly what they have from start to finish. They're working on a sequel to the best selling game that Sony's ever released, and a game that regularly either wins or is high up on Game of the Decade lists. It's also coming out in one of the most stacked years ever. Making something that fits what he said in many ways or the expectations for the game.

When it comes to AAA games, ND are really the first studio I think of. They make the types of games that I like most overall. So, if anyone is going to elevate them, then they seem like an obvious choice. And a lot of developers openly admire their work. So, all eyes are really on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Wow. So I was trying to download the soundtrack from the Concrete Genie bonus content app, but it ended up crashing and force shutting down my PS4. Thankfully the PS4 is fine, but everything I had on the flash drive is gone now. Images, videos, local save backups, etc. I have PS+ so I'm not worried about saves, but it still sucks to lose everything else.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That gif of her piloting the boat in the rain gives me chills every time. God I can't wait to see all of the environments in this game.
The release date trailer has all those feels, but especially the winter cabin part onwards with Ellie's scream and Tommy's VO.

Well, I certainly don't hate it but I don't have much respect towards statements like that either. I feel creative work is not a contest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
With every generation, I'd hope that AAA gets redefined in some way. That's not down to contesting but advancement. We're so close to the end of this console generation and to me The Last of Us Part II is one of the only current game AAA games that really gives a very small taste of what the next-gen might look like. AAA must advance at some point.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I ain't even worried about TLOU2. At worst it's going to be a little less ground breaking as the first game, but still everyone GOTY or runner up. At worst...

At best, they managed to make another story that resonates with you for years after completion and take the MGS gameplay to the next level and deliver a stealth horror game that raises the bar in the genre.

Oct 25, 2017
The release date trailer has all those feels, but especially the winter cabin part onwards with Ellie's scream and Tommy's VO.

With every generation, I'd hope that AAA gets redefined in some way. That's not down to contesting but advancement. We're so close to the end of this console generation and to me The Last of Us Part II is one of the only current game AAA games that really gives a very small taste of what the next-gen might look like. AAA must advance at some point.
The thing is that we have seen advancements in technical level through the generation if we are speaking strictly technical things. I don't think there's really "one" game that has or will re-define AAA. It's incremental.

Status
Not open for further replies.