• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
haven't seen any news about this here, so turn me into a creepy character if old

first of all, I sure as shit don't endorse any theories of a buyout, especially by Microsoft of all people. this tweet is being used as a source by some outlets. if anyone got an email, that would help.

also twitter user klobrille mentioned that Playtonic received financing from a loan company, probably to facilitate their independence

my take is that they're becoming a publisher of sorts. who knows, and we'll find out shortly anyway

gamerant.com

Yooka-Laylee Studio Playtonic Games is Rebranding

Yooka-Laylee developer Playtonic Games reveals it's going through a rebrand, claiming 'there is a good reason' why the team is changing things up.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
they're gonna change it to feetonic, or playfeet (although that latter one is probably taken)

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes playtonic being owned by Microsoft when the whole point of playtonic was not to be owned by Microsoft

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if a rebrand is just like a new logo or something, or if it means they're moving away from YL and onto a new IP.

Also that tweet in the OP is so weird... like the leap in logic from them rebranding to them being bought out by MS. Just such a weird leap to make.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
RareTonic.

they'll then announce the sequel that everyone has been waiting for.

the sequel to

Tonic_Trouble_US_Cover_N64.png

Jan 21, 2021
I hope they alternate between 2D and 3D platformers in the future; I recognize that the Impossible Lair was more well received but I still preferred the original Yooka-Laylee.

Still, excited to see what this rebranding means for them.

Jan 4, 2018
But why would they do that when they were so much more successful at making a 2D platformer?

The Impossible Lair did well critically but I'm not certain it did well commercially compared to Yooka-Laylee (TIL debuted at No.31 in the UK while Yooka-Laylee debuted at No.6, and it was free on the Epic Games Store 3 months after release). Though TIL certainly cost less to produce than Yooka-Laylee I would guess.

Does anyone know if The Impossible Lair was a commercial success ?

My wild guess would be a merging maybe ? I don't see the "good reason" to rebrand otherwise, as the Playtonic name doesn't have a bad reputation at all.

Personnally, I would prefer their next game to be 3D rather than 2.5D.

Last edited:

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
They're not being acquired. Curious about the rebrand. Also, I could certainly see them doing Banjo, in collaboration with Rare assisting and overseeing the project ala Battletoads. As long Gregg Mayles is heavily involved, it should turn out really well I believe.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
My guess is that they want to distance themselves from Rare and start publishing indie games from other developers.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
But why would they do that when they were so much more successful at making a 2D platformer?

Doesnt mean they cant improve their craft and release both kinds of games....

I mean not exactly the same devs but the jump from Banjo Kazooie to Tooie was pretty huge in quality imo - I'm sure they can do similar especially after learning from the first game's development.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Is every single move made by a studio from now on will make people jump to the conclusion that it will be acquired? Like, bruh.

On topic: I wonder how much of change it is, if is only a visual one or if they want to change the studio as a whole.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Hope they make another 2D game. 3D open world platformers just take too many resources for such a small team to really give a Banjo Kazooie spiritual successor a good go

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if they're trying to pivot away somewhat being known as the "yooka laylee guys", as quality as the sequel was I get the feeling the original game under delivering caused impossible lair to be overlooked, but that's just theories from my arse and I'm ready for whatever they've got next under whatever name, even if that name is "Games from my Arse".

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
Would they really let themselves be bought my Microsoft when they literally left (Rare) them to make their own studio?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I got that backer email last week, I'm curious to know what will be their next projects.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They're going to announce that their next game is going to be a third person stealth action shooter named Immaculate Black.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I've been replaying Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair all day today, and I was wondering what they'd be doing next. Interesting.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Zero chance in hell they've been acquired by Microsoft. They are the furthest thing from 'a logical acquisition' surely.

AwkwardWizard

Oct 27, 2017
It would be hilarious if whatever they're teasing became the secret from the original Yooka-Laylee
which released nearly 4 years ago

B442V3n.png