• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I will politely explain to them that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

Then I'll buy five boxes of Thin Mints.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. I'll just walk by without saying a word and continue to listen to my podcast. I'm just trying to go to the grocery store.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I would never be rude to Girl Scouts. Personally, I want my thin mints, Tagalongs, and do-si-dos.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
This year however I'm seeing more and more people just straight up being rude to the girls. They'll walk by, stop when asked-make direct eye contact-say nothing and keep walking.

Can't even imagine what these malcontents would do if the girls still went door-to-door like they used to back in the day.

Oct 27, 2017
You check for earbuds?

I dont talk to people when I'm out unless I have business with them. I wouldnt make eye contact though. I'd just silently hope they dont notice or say anything to me. The one who came to our house got a 5 box sale though.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Just let me gain back all the weight I spent a lot of effort losing by stuffing myself on Caramel deLites and we're good

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Dalek, being in the bay you know people around there are conditioned to not engage with solicitations. Don't think anyone is being intentionally rude.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why be rude to Girl Scouts? I hope they are at the store every time I go so that I have another excuse to spend twenty more dollars on Tagalongs.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Yeesh, you think it's rude to not mind someone selling you something and go on about your day? They're not personally approaching you asking you if you want cookies, just bleeting it out and most likely they are not personalizing someone walking by and not speaking. You are.

In honor of this thread: Next time I get asked by the little troupe, I'm going to stop and walk over, kneel down to eye level, and say "No, sweet lass. I would not like any of your cookies." Hows that, GAF?

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I saw them in front of Kroger yesterday but I didn't pay attention at all since they didn't really approach me. I just walked pass them and said nothing.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I try to just avoid the booths by walking further out, or taking another entrance if possible. Literally because I don't want to be seen as a jerk. I don't like social interactions of any form with sales. I have poor social skills in the first place, and also feel like people hate me for saying no thanks, like the parent is just thinking, "oh sure you are."

(Also my New Year's resolution was to not buy sweets or candy until April at earliest, and I've done real well on it. Don't need any cookies..)

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I'm super polite to everyone, but i'm extra polite to people trying to sell me cookies 😂I've noticed a lot of girl scout cookie setups get pretty good business where I live, and the girls don't have to do much to get attention because people know all about the cookie program and how much it benefits them. It's too bad that scouting has fallen more and more out of cultural relevance to the point where a lot people probably think what they are doing is not too far removed from street begging.

I'm from the bay area where homeless begging and people hustling with every scheme imaginable on the streets is commonplace, but people need to understand there are a lot of good causes out there and to separate them from the bad. You don't have to buy, just smile and move on. But totally ignoring a child/teen trying to talk to you is pretty shitty IMO.

Plus, they are missing out on some good cookies by being rude.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They ruined the recipe for the shortbread.

Only Girl Scout cookies I'm messing with now is the weed strain.

Oct 26, 2017
I am going to yell in their little faces that they're pathetic pawns of capitalist pigs and are therefore perpetuating an immoral system and will be destroyed in the upcoming class war

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, kids hocking cookies are just barely above your average busker in "things I don't want to be bothered with while commuting." If I wanted cookies, I'd be seeking out cookies! I'm not some sort of incidental cookie buyer who's gonna drop what he's doing to peruse your wares on a whim.

It must be a numbers game, because I don't think I've ever seen someone actually buying from them in any of the train stations they're set up at. But they're always there, so there must be an audience. Same with the weird religious pamphlet people.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
But they are selling like crack tho!

These are dangerous.

thin_mints_new_web.jpg.750x750_q85ss0_progressive.jpg

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I saw girl scouts selling cookies at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told them how cool it was to buy their cookies in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother them or ask them for photos or anything.

They said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but they kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing their hands shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard them chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw them trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in their hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Girls, you need to pay for those first." At first they kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, they stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, they kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

This one always gets me

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Lol pretty high and mighty of you. People just want to shop, not like they are flipping the bird. Cant handle adults having a their own shit to deal with, stop selling cookies.

It's amazing the length people are going through to avoid saying a simple "no, thanks" to kids.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
mY sOCiaL ANxiETy flARes Up tHIs tIMe oF yeAR.

This is just rude.

The staring thing you bring up in the OP is weird admittedly but you dismissing all social anxiety with such a statement is also mean.

FWIW- if I see Scouts and I'm not planning on buying, I politely nod and move on.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is just rude.

The staring thing you bring up in the OP is weird admittedly but you dismissing all social anxiety with such a statement is also mean.

FWIW- if I see Scouts and I'm not planning on buying, I politely nod and move on.

Clinically Diagnosed Socially Anxiety is real.

People using the term as an excuse to not be respectful to other people is not.

Oct 27, 2017
Social media has destroyed social skills. It's remarkable.

I had social anxiety before Facebook. Facebook just reaffirmed/cemented it.

Like, they sell the same cookies in the store. For cheaper. In a transactional system I'm much more comfortable with.
Same reason I'm way more open to donating to help homeless than I am to converse with/give money to someone on the street. I just dont appreciate/respond well to being approached like that.

mY sOCiaL ANxiETy flARes Up tHIs tIMe oF yeAR.

Is there a way to take this that isnt making fun on mental issues?

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One time my brother was having a bad day and didn't want to talk to the kids selling whatever outside the grocery store. He pretended to be on his phone when we were waking out and said "so how far apart are the contractions?"

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Clinically Diagnosed Socially Anxiety is real.

People using the term as an excuse to not be respectful to other people is not.

I agree, as someone with such a diagnosis. But you dismissing it wiTh A sTatEmEnt LiKe tHiS is really quite insensitive as well. Again, the behavior you mention in your OP borders on inappropriate, particularly since it involves children. I am not defending it. I do my damndest to be respectful of other people, but sometimes my tics are not taken that way unfortunately, particularly my lack of eye contact.

Good, it wasn't just me who found that insensitive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017

Sure. You can take it the way I intended which wasn't to do that. Like I mentioned in the other post.

There are people like myself who have diagnosed mental illnesses and take medication and treatment. And there are people who use such words to excuse them selves to be an asshole Knowing they can't be called out for it.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
One time my brother was having a bad day and didn't want to talk to the kids selling whatever outside the grocery store. He pretended to be on his phone when we were waking out and said "so how far apart are the contractions?"

I actually do this when I take out the trash and my Trump loving neighbor is outside waiting to strike up a conversation with me.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder: What kind of cookies do they offer? Someone asking me to buy chocolate/nut/whatever cookies (repeatedly) in a bad mood could very well earn the described responds from me.

If you dont have something nice to say, say nothing.

I recall how I treated the last delivery guy who was so "nice" to present me with a free pick-up. (I was still pissed because we a) had to wait 1 hour for our order and b) the company first said they dont deliver because they send the online order to the wrong shop and instead of correcting it themselves i had to place the order via phone.) Sure, it was not his fault, and he didnt know this freebie meant nothing to me because I am allergic.

Sometimes everyone just has a bad day. That's something an 11 year old can relate to and understand. It's not like it was a 6 year old.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Who makes these cookies btw? Parents? Kids?

there are 2 different bakeries that produce the cookies. Different regions in the united states use one or the other. Because of this the brand of cookie you're accustomed to in one town may not be available at a booth another county over. It's Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Bakers if I remember correctly.

www.fatherly.com

Not All States Get The Same Version Of Girl Scout Cookies

Did you know that the names of Girl Scout cookie flavors varies by location? One man's Samoa is another man's Caramel deLite.
girl-scout-cookies.jpg

My niece in LA has different cookies than us in the Bay Area. They have Thanks-A-Lots which we don't. And man are they good.

Aquaman

Oct 27, 2017

My god, looking at a child and walking away silently. Such a bad man. Geez, yall are the ones acting like kids, acting like yall are the center of the universe. Just forget about me and ask someone else. Easy peasy.

It's amazing the length people are going through to avoid saying a simple "no, thanks" to kids.

Why, they aren't my freaking kids?? I am going to my car why am I suddenly being involved with buying cookies, it's not like they actually want to talk to me. Some times I say no, sometimes I just walk away. Nothing to get annoyed about.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Is it really that disrespectful? Might be a tad rude, but I mean people got shit to do and most are thinking about what they are doing 20, 30 , 40 minutes from now. If I do notice I just smile and shake my head without saying anything since 9 times out of 10 I have airpods in. So you must really hate me haha.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Sure. You can take it the way I intended which wasn't to do that. Like I mentioned in the other post.

There are people like myself who have diagnosed mental illnesses and take medication and treatment. And there are people who use such words to excuse them selves to be an asshole Knowing they can't be called out for it.

I have anxiety and I dont like telling random little girls no. I don't interact with them unless I know for sure they saw me see them.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Why, they aren't my freaking kids?? I am going to my car why am I suddenly being involved with buying cookies, it's not like they actually want to talk to me. Some times I say no, sometimes I just walk away. Nothing to get annoyed about.

If you acknowledge them by looking at them, just be polite, say "no thanks" to the kid and move on. It's not hard.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
They're not kicking sand in your kids face, they're just moving on with their life without pleasantries. It's nice when people politely decline, but get over yourself dude.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
industrial cookie factories
No. They're packaged cookies made by two different companies. One of them is noticeably better- I always get the names confused, but they differ by region.
there are 2 different bakeries that produce the cookies. Different regions in the united states use one or the other. Because of this the brand of cookie you're accustomed to in one town may not be available at a booth another county over. It's Little Brownie Bakers and ABC Bakers if I remember correctly.

www.fatherly.com

Not All States Get The Same Version Of Girl Scout Cookies

Did you know that the names of Girl Scout cookie flavors varies by location? One man's Samoa is another man's Caramel deLite.
girl-scout-cookies.jpg

My niece in LA has different cookies than us in the Bay Area. They have Thanks-A-Lots which we don't. And man are they good.

So the girls are literally retail workers in that situation, basically?
I'm not sure how I feel about people ignoring anyone trying to sell them some mass produced product in the street. I won't deny its rude, but I dunno if I can fault anyone for not wanting to engage.

Status
Not open for further replies.