• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So the girls are literally retail workers in that situation, basically?
I'm not sure how I feel about people ignoring anyone trying to sell them some mass produced product in the street. I won't deny its rude, but I dunno if I can fault anyone for not wanting to engage.

Is stopping in front of a booth, staring dead into a child's eyes for 5 seconds, not saying a word and then walking away considered "enagaging". Because at that point saying no thanks isn't that much more effort.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I just drink sparkling water. Lemonades are to sweet for me. (There is just one kind i drink, and that is for special occasions at home.)

They're a cookie, not a drink in this case.

20_MarComm_MeetTheCookies_Graphics_ABCLemonades.jpg

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Is stopping in front of a booth, staring dead into a child's eyes for 5 seconds, not saying a word and then walking away considered "enagaging". Because at that point saying no thanks isn't that much more effort.
No its not considered engaging IMO, because it happens reflexively, unlike verbal communication. I often look at people who talk to me from the side (usually trying to sell something) because it takes me a sec to realize what they want. Lost in thought and such.
So I can absolutely see the scenario where I (in theory) look at someone trying to sell me stuff and keep walking once I decide I'm not interested.
Admittedly only been in a remotely similar situation when kids tried to "sell" magazines to me at uni though, which was just a front for aggressive begging. Honestly can't say if I would've taken the second to answer your kids in that hypothetical, 100% used to not answering people selling stuff, but then again they are small kids doing something (I guess) non-suspect, so idk

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I had social anxiety before Facebook. Facebook just reaffirmed/cemented it.

Like, they sell the same cookies in the store. For cheaper. In a transactional system I'm much more comfortable with.
Same reason I'm way more open to donating to help homeless than I am to converse with/give money to someone on the street. I just dont appreciate/respond well to being approached like that.

I would never deny your social anxiety or expect you to buy something. The only expected interaction would be a fake smile and a no thanks to an 8-year old.

What's remarkable is that many will claim not that they are too unconfortable to do so, but that there should be no expectation whatsoever to respond with even the slightest courtesy.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. You can take it the way I intended which wasn't to do that. Like I mentioned in the other post.

There are people like myself who have diagnosed mental illnesses and take medication and treatment. And there are people who use such words to excuse them selves to be an asshole Knowing they can't be called out for it.

I mean, if you got extremely anxious in situations like you're describing and someone said "I GuEsS yOUr AnXiETy Is AcTiNG uP", how would you take it?

Just seems to be perpetuating an issue that is much larger than the one you created a thread about. Maybe just something to keep in mind when using dismissive memery when talking about mental issues.

I would never deny your social anxiety or expect you to buy something. The only expected interaction would be a fake smile and a no thanks to an 8-year old.

What's remarkable is that many will claim not that they are too unconfortable to do so, but that there should be no expectation whatsoever to respond with even the slightest courtesy.

I dont make eye contact, so OPs exact situation doesnt apply to me. I'd rather buy the cookies in the store.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if you got extremely anxious in situations like you're describing and someone said "I GuEsS yOUr AnXiETy Is AcTiNG uP", how would you take it?

Just seems to be perpetuating an issue that is much larger than the one you created a thread about. Maybe just something to keep in mind when using dismissive memery when talking about mental issues.

I dont make eye contact, so OPs exact situation doesnt apply to me. I'd rather buy the cookies in the store.

What is the more likely scenario?

1. All 20 people that did the behavior In a 3 hour span described in the OP that did this at our booth tonight all suffer from clinically diagnosed social anxiety

Or

2. Were rude

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this would be about not flagging them down.
Who in the world ignores Girls Scouts Cookies.

Oct 27, 2017
What is the more likely scenario?

1. All 20 people that did the behavior In a 3 hour span described in the OP that did this at our booth tonight all suffer from clinically diagnosed social anxiety

Or

2. Were rude

Why does it matter to you so much if its clinically diagnosed? Is it not real unless you have insurance and a doctor? Also comes off as dismissive. Those who have it undiagnosed will still suffer and experience the same physical manifestations, right?

Also, the two arent mutually exclusive, as you're proving. So I'm not sure why you think it's one or the other. I wouldnt be surprised if you encountered 20 people with social anxiety or 20 rude people, or maybe 20 rude people with social anxiety. I'm sure I often come across as rude. It's part of what gives me anxiety and leads me to prefer set transactional situations. I wouldnt walk into a girl scout cookie store and do it, and if I knew where they were in advance I could choose a store they werent at. But neither of those are the case. So when it happens I try to walk wide and avoid eye contact.

None of that really matters towards justifying the dismissive language you used.

Last edited:

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I usually tell them thanks but I already bought some earlier. Tends to help them feel less like they didn't do a good job selling me on them, from what it seems like to me.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
The only way i would consider dealing with Girl Scouts and buying some Girl Scout cookies is if they ran a promotion where you get a code for a exclusive Kart in CTR for buying a pack.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that people should be nice to girl scouts and acknowledge them, but some posts here are acting like they're gonna get scarred for life if they have a rude customer which is ????

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I've never eaten Girl Scout cookies and I've never seen a Girl Scout in real life. I'm guessing they don't really exist in my part of Southern California.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I hear some people complain sometimes that Girl Scouts having the girls sell cookies is wrong. It's a weird take in my mind because I feel like it's giving them some entrepreneurial experience which isn't a terrible thing. I don't think it should be forced but if the girls are cool with doing it and can have fun with it more power to them. It helps that I also love me some samoas.

admittedly I'm also the person that thinks things like financial planning, and money management should be a required class to graduate high school.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
In my daughters troop last week they did a blind taste test with these to see if they could discern the difference between the "real" version and the knock offs.

I can tell the difference, but they're close enough that they hit the spot during the off season as a good substitute. How did your daughter's troop do?

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have the heart to be that cold myself, but who knows, maybe they're having a bad day and the silence is actually their method of self restraint from doing something actual rude. Stop being such a Karen and try to dictate others behaviour.

mY sOCiaL ANxiETy flARes Up tHIs tIMe oF yeAR.
T4KThxw.gif

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
It's called power staring and you must do it to establish dominance and not lose in any negotiation. It's like you've never heard jack donahey's seminar.

Or one of your girls is telepathic, is trying out her fledgling powers, and in her inexperience hasn't quite grasped mind control yet. Her subjects become confused and muddled which is why they stare. For someone who claims to be THE Xmen fanatic on resetera kind of a huge oversight on your part. Embarrassing!

But seriously, people's brains are rotted from smartphones and they don't want to be bothered to be polite in real life. Or there's just a ton of assholes in the bay area.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
i usually walk past them fast without looking and pretending i didn't hear or looking at my phone

don't bother me and try to sell me shit i don't want or need by guilting me into it with little kids. and in a lot of cases a "no thank you" leads to the comment of "ITS FOR CHARITY" from the booth as youre walking away trying to embarrass the person into buying, as in a "how could you turn us down!!!!!"... now thats "rude" and frankly sleazy of you

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
i usually walk past them fast without looking and pretending i didn't hear or looking at my phone

don't bother me and try to sell me shit i don't want or need by guilting me into it with little kids. and in a lot of cases a "no thank you" leads to the comment of "ITS FOR CHARITY" from the booth as youre walking away trying to embarrass the person into buying, as in a "how could you turn us down!!!!!"... now thats "rude" and frankly sleazy of you

Just seems like a lot of forejudged hostility toward a group of children raising money for activities and charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.