• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to air a grievance. My daughter is 11 and this is our 5th year selling Girl Scout cookies. The girls work hard to set up a booth, usually do a 3 hour booth and try to earn money - one month out of the year. They get excited, take it seriously and it helps to build confidence for the girls. They money they earn can be used to do projects like donations for animal shelters, maybe a camping or archery trip etc.

The girls are taught to be polite - simply ask "Would you like any Girl Scout Cookies?" If someone says "No thank you." It's not a big deal if someone says no. They will then say "Thank you-have a nice day!" It's not a big deal if someone says no- it's all about the experience and being positive.

This year however I'm seeing more and more people just straight up being rude to the girls. They'll walk by, stop when asked-make direct eye contact-say nothing and keep walking.

I thought at first maybe it was just people who didn't speak English-but there'a just no way at this point. It's weird and bizarre. They clearly hear the girls-and don't say anything in response and keep walking.

Just say "No thanks!" or "Good luck!" But to say nothing is just odd.

The Girl Scouts is a wonderful organization and my daughter has done a lot and learned a lot. I just feel they deserve to be respected more than they're getting currently.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Should say no thanks

but not saying anything isn't in the same league as making a rude statement to them

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucked up. šŸ˜†

My wife and I just look at each other each time it happens in disbelief. It's WIERD.

I'm also learning that this is part of a thing that happens when Girl Scouts get around 11. People come up and say things like "Aren't you too old to be selling cookies?" Or sometimes even creepier things

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always extra nice to them. They're too young, and I'd imagine that dealing with rude people who ignore them could have a negative impact on them mentally.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
They come where I work (they were there today actually) and I luckily haven't seen anyone being rude to them. That's just not right.

Imma be honest though sometimes when I'm not at work and I see people asking questions at the entrance of a store I hate it. Of course this has more to do with my social anxiety than it does my dislike of said person.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Don't worry too much about it, probably just socially awkward people who get nervous and forget to say "you too!" when you slap them with a "have a nice day!"

Or they're just jerks in which case I would actually love to see the scouts say "fuck you too!" even if it's against brand lol

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My wife and I just look at each other each time it happens in disbelief. It's WIERD.

I'm also learning that this is part of a thing that happens when Girl Scouts get around 11. People come up and say things like "Aren't you too old to be selling cookies?" Or sometimes even creepier things
If you don't mind answering, where do you live?

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think its rude to not respond.
Really? You don't know anything about kids then. I've worked with kids and also have kids in my family, and anything even as simple as being on your phone when they're talking to you is going to make them remember that in their minds, you're a shitty person. They're not mature enough to understand how the world works yet, so a simple no thank you isn't going to kill you. You might not think it's rude but they do.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I could never be rude to my thin mint and tagalong hookup for the year. Don't care what anyone else says, the store brand is not the same.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I witnessed one bad experience years ago I've never forgotten when I went out early morning to my local hardware store to get supplies a few hours before a huge blizzard was to hit Massachusetts. A Girl Scout troop had set up a cookie stand right inside the entrance and this girl about 7 or 8 was trying to ask people if they wanted to buy cookies. People were swarming into the store to get supplies and pushing past her. A lady in in front me told the girl "Get out of my way!" and almost knocked the girl over trying to get where she wanted to go. The poor girl looked like she was about ready to cry. I felt so bad in that instant that I stopped to buy a few boxes of cookies from the troop before I continued on with my shopping.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have a permit for these stand? Where is this?

Every year the organization arranged to have booths setup in front of different locations for a set amount of time. These will be in 3 hour shifts. There is a lottery day where each troop gets to choose a prime booth and gets a turn-then the next troop gets to choose. Just like a fantasy football draft. It's serious business because different locations and different times are more valuable.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Generally there are kids wanting donations for their hockey league outside the liquor store, I usually walk by, look, grumble, and go to my car.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I make a show of pulling out a bag of Chips Ahoy and eating them right in front of the girl scouts.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man, I just want to drive home after already buying grocerries.

Okay it is rude but its not the rudest thing ever.

I guess I can just empathize with busy or socially awkward people who may not have time to quickly respond. At the end of the day, it's nothing personal. It's just business.

i mean if you're really that anxious about saying no thank you just tail someone into / out of the store that way they get asked and you can scurry on by

I witnessed one bad experience years ago I've never forgotten when I went out early morning to my local hardware store to get supplies a few hours before a huge blizzard was to hit Massachusetts. A Girl Scout troop had set up a cookie stand right inside the entrance and this girl about 7 or 8 was trying to ask people if they wanted to buy cookies. People were swarming into the store to get supplies and pushing past her. A lady in in front me told the girl "Get out of my way!" and almost knocked the girl over trying to get where she wanted to go. The poor girl looked like she was about ready to cry. I felt so bad in that instant that I stopped to buy a few boxes of cookies from the troop before I continued on with my shopping.

what if that was a setup though?

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I once saw a girl scout leader beat up another parent because he took over her spot since it was the best location.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Every year the organization arranged to have booths setup in front of different locations for a set amount of time. These will be in 3 hour shifts. There is a lottery day where each troop gets to choose a prime booth and gets a turn-then the next troop gets to choose. Just like a fantasy football draft. It's serious business because different locations and different times are more valuable.
I was just joking btw, but damn didnt know it was actual serious business.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Turns out that people don't like being solicited, who would have guessed. If they aren't saying anything rude, don't worry about it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As a parent, I agree, as a broke dude just trying to get my shopping done I feel like having your kids solicit people as they enter stores is equally as rude as keeping walking. If they were just there and didn't ask, it would be different.

That being said I would never just not acknowledge them, it's great they are out doing something and not just on their phones or whatever like so many parents seem to let their kids live like.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this episode last night so I'm ready.

752a28c177c244818884c78f164b0a49.jpg

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
i remember being 13 and our school had this thing where students would sell chocolate bars door to door to raise funds for field trips and shit. so, being me and my brothers, we just kept the chocolate. when we were confronted by the teacher, my brother said, "what are you going to do? sue kids for chocolate?"

we got free chocolate bars.

Magneton

Banned
Jul 31, 2018
Where does pretending not to hear or see them stand on the acceptable-rude spectrum? That's my go-to move.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I always try to be nice, but I understand people do get sick of being sold to constantly and sometimes it's just one more thing when all you wanted was your groceries. It's always kinda felt shitty to me that they make kids bug people like that in the first place.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
i mean if you're really that anxious about saying no thank you just tail someone into / out of the store that way they get asked and you can scurry on by

what if that was a setup though?

I agree. But there's a few scenario that may make people stare first.
  1. A girl scout may be hard to ignore so some people naturally look at them
  2. Some rude people thought they wanted to buy cookies but realized they shouldn't for one reason or another and decide not to respond afterwards.
  3. They naturally look back at children asking them a question because it rude to ignore them. But for the passerby, it's not rude to ignore a business transaction.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I think someone should walk into the grocery store, buy some oreos and go outside and sell them to the girls and say, how does that feel? Then toss the cookies on the floor and walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.