• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I saw it again in God of War, but it's something really annoying from many games. Think a difficult spot of the game (or well, just a difficult game), where you die like 20 or more times in the same checkpoint.

There is an NPC telling you some the same sentence there again and again when respawning, and many times you can't skip it. It gets irritating, and even more when it's a random, too obvious or unsubstantial sentence. I really hate it, and even more when it's a long conversation. Guys, please put this sentece before the checkpoint unless it gives you a clear hint to win the battle. If it's a difficult spot when I die I want to reload super fast and try it again. So avoid these sentences, and also remove the "press x to respawn" and its loading time (c'mon, this area and enemies are already loaded), I'll pause the game if needed to read the gameplay tips you already saw me 50 times in the loading screen (please don't show them more than 20 times).

In God of War, in addition to that sometimes it's even worse: when you are almost dead, with very low energy both the kid or the other companion NPC (I'll avoid spoilers) tell you a sentence that in terms of design I assume it's there to make sure the player knows that will die in the next hit so he needs to be extra careful. It gets even more annoying because sometimes this sentences are a bit insulting: as player I'm frustrated because I died like 30 times in that spot (like with some of the 9 women you need to "save" and the 3rd one of the end-game focused special challenges) and when I'm going to die again the game instead of letting me alone or try to cheer me up sometimes basically tells me I'm a bad player or laughs at me.

Extra rant: devs, in your office you have a huge monitor in front of you. But most people sit in a sofa like 3 or 4 meters away of the tv, that in most cases is not a 50"+ TV: in my case I have a 32" one so your tiny texts are very difficult to read (sometimes in Switch it gets worse in portable mode). I think Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo must include a mandatory minimum font size in their game approval certification for future games.

Last edited:

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War 1 was awful about this. These 15 seconds of dialogue have been ingrained in my head for the last decade, and they'll likely never leave. To make matters worse, there's a slow walking sequence soon after this, which really exaggerates the problem.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would love more games to have an organic feel to them, along with smarter A.I. This push for graphics all the time is getting old.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I hate it.

Also stop it with the few canned lines they have NPC companions say all the time to make them feel more "alive". If you don't have at least 50+ Variations or something. It just gets rediculously repititive and annoying.

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"I looked at the juice. I looked at it all. It's viewed, every single drop of it. And not just the puddles , but the rivers and the lakes of it, too. It was all in my face, and I looked at it all. Lookit all this juice!"

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
First post and done. Lol. Gears 1 was the first and worst game that immediately came to mind.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
e6d81cd138559fa9a68988f0d4eceee4d08d0d8fc70f22dc6b8af487a4c27618.jpg

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Gears of War 1 was awful about this. These 15 seconds of dialogue have been ingrained in my head for the last decade, and they'll likely never leave. To make matters worse, there's a slow walking sequence soon after this, which really exaggerates the problem.

I don't get it, why would you be going through this repeatedly? From dying?

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
"Lookit all that juice!"

oh god damn it

I don't get it, why would you be going through this repeatedly? From dying?

Yes. It's right before fighting off the last horde of the act. It's the part where you get to the refinery and have to defend the lightmass bomb (or whatever the hell it's called) while Baird sets it up.

And on Insane difficulty, it's pretty damn hard.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Forever etched into my memory. It's hilarious looking back on it now.

But...

In God of War, in addition to that sometimes it's even worse: when you are almost dead, with very low energy both the kid or the other companion NPC (I'll avoid spoilers) tell you a sentence that in terms of design I assume it's there to make sure the player knows that will die in the next hit so he needs to be extra careful. It gets even more annoying because sometimes this sentences are a bit insulting: as player I'm frustrated because I died like 30 times in that spot (like with some of the 9 women you need to "save" and the 3rd one of the end-game focused special challenges) and when I'm going to die again the game instead of letting me alone or try to cheer me up sometimes basically tells me I'm a bad player or laughs at me.

What? It hurts your feelings? Wtf...

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
To be fair to Souls, at least there isn't a voiceover.

Personally, I hate it more when it's voiced, repeated after dying or not, dying just adds to that annoying feeling as you could be hearing it everytime you died, when you're already getting frustrated.

Japanese games tend to do this with their "Kurae!" and such after every few attack swings, it just becomes so annoying and, with a lack of better term, un-immersive as it really drives home that the game is a game... And of course, there are things like "arrow to the knee".

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to say there was one or a few games that avoided this issue, but I can't recall it/them.

spool

Oct 27, 2017
I love Obsidian and their games, but they are the worst when it comes to this. They'll regularly put a conversation with branching and decisions to make right before a difficult fight, with no way to save in between, forcing you to go through it all over and over.

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
GTAIV and V were pretty good at this. If you died once the next round the characters will have alternate lines for certain scenes (minor changes) and if you died again they just won't say it.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War had some of the worst checkpoints of any game I have ever played. I hate that game so much.

2 and 3 are fantastic. Judgement is meh. 4...kinda disappointed.

But I hate Gears of War. Maybe if I replay it and don't die as much I won't hate it as bad but oooooo that game makes me mad.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Spot on OP. I despise when games have a checkpoint and immediately after a cut scene you can't skip. Every damn time you die you have to sit through 15-30 seconds of the same cut scene you've seen countless times. I end up playing ultra conservatively until I hit the next checkpoint just so I don't have to watch the cut scene again.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7 minutes...7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Wesker kicked my ass all up and down the block on the harder difficulties of re5. Especially solo x.x

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Calm down spoilerphobe.
He's right though. It implies something might happen to the main companion and he gets replaced or something. Having more than one is not something I expected, so it's a mild spoiler to me.

Then again the ingame tutorial tips during the loading screen has already thrown a pretty big spoiler at me already, so I don't suggest anyone scroll through those.