• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Ginger certainly isn't offensive in my country. How is it an insult exactly?
People with red hair are seen as lesser people. You in Ireland? Read this:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-28872927
The study by a University College Cork student claims "people with ginger hair are easy targets for bullies".

Psychology undergraduate Kevin O'Regan recorded that more than 90% of men with red hair had been victimised simply because of their hair colour.
The results showed 60.6% of males and 47.3% of females with red hair said that they had suffered "some kind of discrimination in the past due to their hair colour".

Some of those who took part in the study gave examples of the abuse they suffered: "I had a teacher look right at me the first day of class and say 'I don't like redheads, so don't expect things to be easy in this class for you' in front of the whole class."

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't like the word ginger it's an annoying word. Eliminated the word ginger from people's vocabulary is a good idea op. Redhead is a neutral word use that.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
My coworker referred to himself as such, I never knew it was a negative thing. I actually think it's pretty awesome (to have red hair). #shrug

Whiteside

Oct 28, 2017
Norfolk, UK
I want to know why I have dark brown hair and grow a red beard lmao. It seems to happen with a lot of dark hair people too (such as Christian bale). I may have to eventually dye my beard as the weird combination has never looked good.
Pure gingers have two mutated versions of the MC1R-gene (one from each parent), those who can grow a ginger beard but have for example brown hair only have one.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind it, outside of the "oh, we are still using this years old South Park joke..." lameness. But, the use of it that prompted this thread was certainly odd.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
People with red hair are seen as lesser people. You in Ireland? Read this:

Yeah the quote from that teacher is pretty fucked. I'm from Dublin, maybe there wasn't too many redheads in my class. I certainly haven't noticed as an adult. The word definitely shouldn't be used as a pejorative but I don't think it should be taken out if usage altogether. Its still a descriptor.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
"In the good old days, they drowned ginger kids at birth"
Case in point. Substitute ANY OTHER genetic trait in this post and you'd be fucking banned. There'd be a smoking crater where your account used to be.

But you're making a ginger joke. So it's a warning.

This is what we deal with. That's the essence of it.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
My roommate in freshman year of college gave herself the nickname Ginge, and my sophomore year roommate often used the term ginger (although she was more strawberry blonde). I'm not going to stop using it just because someone I don't know IRL is a little bit bothered by it.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I see the term "ginger" used on here relatively frequent and I believe it should stop. As a redhead, I was bullied my entire childhood (as all red heads are). You are looked at as less of a person and sexually undesirable. Why is it ok for people to use it here? We don't allow objectifying terms to be used for any other group as far as I'm aware.

What would your prefer?

For some reason growing up I used to grow very red beards. I got called ginger a lot, but it never bothered me. Not to say my experiences are equal or greater than yours. I do remember a lot of gingers at my school getting angry at the use of "red head", though that was usually from the fetishist angle, so I can understand why.

The real problem i had was horrible acne growing up, so maybe that's why I didn't have it worse.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
I called my girlfriend's roommate a fire crotch once and now she goes out of her way to prove it whenever I'm around.

She's a very...sexually adventurous person. My girlfriend doesn't like it, but I don't mind.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
I wanna chime in one more time and state that I understand OP's concerns even though I am not personally offended by the term in question. I have been under the impression that the US treats it differently than other English speaking countries (namely AU based on friends of mine who are from there). There is a lot of facetiousness in this thread over something that does happen and does affect people and it's always important to be considerate even if I'm gonna be lighthearted based on my own experiences. I'm sorry you had to grow up being bullied for your hair, HD. I might have just been lucky.

Seriously tho wtf is fantapants

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Case in point. Substitute ANY OTHER genetic trait in this post and you'd be fucking banned. There'd be a smoking crater where your account used to be.

But you're making a ginger joke. So it's a warning.

This is what we deal with. That's the essence of it.

I don't think anyone is arguing that red-haired people suffer no form of prejudice, but it's not the word ginger that is the problem. The "joke" would be just as offensive if he said red-haired kids instead of ginger kids.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
In all my 33 years I have never, ever heard of the word ginger being offensive. Maybe because I'm in the UK and it's different here, I don't know.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
What would your prefer?

For some reason growing up I used to grow very red beards. I got called ginger a lot, but it never bothered me. Not to say my experiences are equal or greater than yours. I do remember a lot of gingers at my school getting angry at the use of "red head", though that was usually from the fetishist angle, so I can understand why.

The real problem i had was horrible acne growing up, so maybe that's why I didn't have it worse.
The ultimate problem isn't necessarily the term itself is that people with red hair as viewed as lesser members of society in general. Ginger is just the most common word used to insult us. There are many others as well.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a natural red headed girl. From what I can remember, I've never been taunted or called any terms. The only time I remember was when I was at recess and a group of kids through a Vollyball at my head and claimed my head was on fire. I turned around and through the Vollyball at that kids face and that was the last time anywhere ever made fun of me.

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, seems entirely subjective and really not a big deal from my perspective. My girlfriend of 3 years is a redhead and she uses the term all the time and could care less if other people do. So I'll continue to use the the word Ginger, but thanks for your input OP.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I don't think anyone is arguing that red-haired people suffer no form of prejudice, but it's not the word ginger that is the problem. The "joke" would be just as offensive if he said red-haired kids instead of ginger kinds.

Evolved1 Or short kids. Skinny kids. Fat kids. Black-haired/blonde/brown kids. big nosed/small nosed kids. big-eared/small-eared kids. stinky/good-smelling kids. Any of those would have gotten a warning too.

It's not different there. You are telling me no one you know has ever made fun of Prince Harry for his hair color?

Ancedontly, I've only seen him get admiration and people fawning over him. He's an attractive dude.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Wow, it actually is a serious topic. OP, how do you survive in the real world if this word hurts you? Also no, I'm going to continue using it.

JoeBoy101

Oct 25, 2017
My son has red hair like me, and I saw it one too many times on here and am worried about him being bullied like I was.

Your son possibly being bullied has nothing to do with hair color. Children will use hair color, weight, clothes, you name it to bully. Even names. Got a normal name, they'll twist it into an insult. This has less to do with an 'offensive' term, and more to do with assholes being bullies. I love my gingers and don't want to give them or the term up.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not different there. You are telling me no one you know has ever made fun of Prince Harry for his hair color?
it's sort of grasping at adversity straws to equate that the same as what the LGBT and racial minority communities face, though... especially in the case of Prince Harry who is pretty universally loved (other than people who seem to hate the royals for whatever reason)

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to play the oppression Olympics here. I don't support insulting anyone.

Also, please show me what colour you think Ginger is or give me the HTML code for it.

Here.

Ginger-Plant.jpg

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't refer to anyone as blondes while we're at it. Blonde infers dumb amirite?

Oct 30, 2017
I guess I can be mindful of it. But I'm probably still going to call people gingers. There are actual important words that need to leave our lexicon. This one is gonna be pretty low priority for me.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
This is being overly sensitive imo. Its just like blonde or brunette, just describes a hair collor. Come on, man lol

Stabi

Oct 25, 2017
France / san francisco
This is me experience as a non red head from france, and to an extent I agree with OP.

There were a lot of jokes against red head in my youth that were meaner than your typical blonde joke. Mainly I think because red head are rare here, and it would be easier to single out the one red head student and start bullying him.
I think however that younger kids didn't mock red head, that became a thing around puberty and I'd argue most kids didn't understand they were being mean. That was an also age of calling everything gay, etc.

The bit about finding red head women not attractive is interesting and also must be more widely experienced than some of us think. I did remember being shocked at 12 year old when hearing friends making jokes around that, like red head women stink and so on - which was i remember specifically reserved for women. That was my first experience of red head discrimination.

Red head Boys being seen as less sexually desirable is also definitely something that I know lot of people think. And compared to mocking red head girl, this one sadly sticks in adulthood (again my experience)

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Ancedontly, I've only seen him get admiration and people fawning over him. He's an attractive dude.
Old article but still relevant:
http://www./news/article-467665/Prince-Harry-Im-bullied-ginger.html

Prince Harry told a teenager he gets bullied for being ginger, it was reported today.
Harry's army pals have reportedly nicknamed him "Ginger Bullet Magnet" and are thought to have bought ginger wigs to wear in Iraq, joking that it would stop insurgents from easily identifying the prince, The Sun newspaper said.

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I hear that term in real life, if you could call it that, is sports talk radio referring to certain quarterbacks, and usually it is used as a pejorative or at least as a winkingly loaded descriptor.

OP
OP
Hollywood Duo

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
it's sort of grasping at adversity straws to equate that the same as what the LGBT and racial minority communities face, though... especially in the case of Prince Harry who is pretty universally loved (other than people who seem to hate the royals for whatever reason)
First of all, I never said I suffered anywhere near as bad as those people. I can dye my hair, minorities and LGBT people are who they are.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anything there is a strange stereotype that redhead women are sex fiends or something. I wouldn't call that sexually undesirable, but certainly an unneeded and potentially negative stereotype.

Status
Not open for further replies.