• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Blu Ray released in 2006. How is it that in the year 2018 we don't have True Lies and the Abyss on blu ray? We are moving on to 4k and 8k now.......What the hell is going on?

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
James Cameron has been talking about them for like a good 10 years. It's really really annoying

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think like 2 years ago someone asked Cameron the question directly and he looked directly at a Fox exec saying the transfers were pretty much ready to go, but it wasn't up to him.

Abyss in HD has been shown on cable/sat for years by now.
Ludicrous.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Blu Ray released in 2006. How is it that in the year 2018 we don't have True Lies and the Abyss on blu ray? We are moving on to 4k and 8k now.......What the hell is going on?
Supposedly, Cameron has a bunch of special features or some such shit for them that he wants to finish up for the eventual Blu-Ray releases, so the wait is because he hasn't taken the time out to finish the work he says is necessary.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
I think like 2 years ago someone asked Cameron the question directly and he looked directly at a Fox exec saying the transfers were pretty much ready to go, but it wasn't up to him.

Abyss in HD has been shown on cable/sat for years by now.
Ludicrous.

True Lies has been broadcast in HD, too, so it obviously exists and could easily be released on Blu Ray.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's the one release I've been waiting for.

Probably my favorite Arnold movie. (Yes, even over T2.)

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I got a sudden itch to watch True Lies last week and I couldn't fucking believe it still isn't on bluray.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Cameron has signoff on the disc releases, IIRC.

Both have HD transfers done. As mentioned, True Lies has been broadcast in HD. And Netflix has The Abyss in HD in some regions.

StickofRock

Oct 28, 2017
Cameron Abyss Blu ray remaster was finished around the time of the Aliens remaster. It's never been given the sign off by Cameron though. God knows about True Lies. The dvd is absolute shit quality though which makes it even worse.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Maaaaan whenever I flip through the channels and stumble across true lies I am basically doing nothing until that movie is over. A lot of fun.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
With First Contact Ending or Suddenly Over Ending?

Ugh... crap, I have no idea. I recently rewatched it and it was the version where he
met the Aliens in their UFO.
I assume it's the first contact one? I don't recall another ending to the film, but I've only seen it twice.

Velasco

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From August 2017

James Cameron Prepping 'True Lies' and 'The Abyss' for Blu-ray

When asked about Blu-ray plans for the films by TheArnoldFans.com, Cameron replied, "I'm working on that. The True Lies Blu-ray and the Abyss Blu-ray have sort of fallen off my to-do list, getting one, not two, but four Avatar sequels stood up and going. But now that that has happened, I can actually take care of business. So yes, that is coming."

While release dates and specs have not been announced yet, the director previously discussed preparations for The Abyss Blu-ray with Variety last year. At the time, Cameron said, "We've done a wet-gate 4K scan of the original negative, and it's going to look insanely good. We're going to do an authoring pass in the DI for Blu-ray and HDR at the same time."

And though nothing has been confirmed at this time, Cameron's mention of HDR implies that a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray release could also be in the works.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
This is just baffling to me. Is he embarrassed by them? It's crazy that these major movies from one of the most successful filmmakers of all time have pretty much been forgotten because modern audiences don't have an easy way to see them.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This is just baffling to me. Is he embarrassed by them? It's crazy that these major movies from one of the most successful filmmakers of all time have pretty much been forgotten because modern audiences don't have an easy way to see them.

He's a perfectionist and he has signoff rights on these transfers.

If they don't look the way he wants, they don't get shipped.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I think there's some personal embarassment or dislike he must have for those two flicks.
I read a good article last year about The Abyss and how it's Cameron's most personal film... I need to dig that up again. It was a good read.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I have never seen the abyss and went to find a place to stream it a week ago.

I couldn't believe that it wasn't available ANYWHERE on the internet.

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ace Ventura 1 or 2 aren't on Bluray in US, either. Truly a crime against good humanity.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Directors like Cameron and Scorsese care about theatre and films only. Once they're out they move onto the next. They don't care about special features or home releases or commentary and even changes. I remember Ridley Scott once said his Director's Cut of Alien is the film he released in theatres, full stop. Some Directors don't like to think, tinker or change anything especially when busy with the next film. Keep in mind home video enthusiam only started late 1980's and onwards and it really wasn't until the end of VHS and Laserdisc and the takeover of DVD that we started to see remastered editions and special editions or director's cuts and new features and color changes etc. I do often wish that Directors cared as much about home viewing as they did theatre.

What?? That applies to some directors but not Cameron. Almost all of his movies have had extended editions on home release. Hell in the cased of The Abyss he went the trouble and expense to complete the tidal wave sequence at the end exclusively for the laser disc edition of the film.

OP
OP
Liquidsnake

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Directors like Cameron and Scorsese care about theatre and films only. Once they're out they move onto the next. They don't care about special features or home releases or commentary and even changes. I remember Ridley Scott once said his Director's Cut of Alien is the film he released in theatres, full stop. Some Directors don't like to think, tinker or change anything especially when busy with the next film. Keep in mind home video enthusiam only started late 1980's and onwards and it really wasn't until the end of VHS and Laserdisc and the takeover of DVD that we started to see remastered editions and special editions or director's cuts and new features and color changes etc. I do often wish that Directors cared as much about home viewing as they did theatre.

Im sure Ridley felt differently when the studio butchered his Kingdom of Heaven theatrical release.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What?? That applies to some directors but not Cameron. Almost all of his movies have had extended editions on home release. Hell in the cased of The Abyss he went the trouble and expense to complete the tidal wave sequence at the end exclusively for the laser disc edition of the film.

FWIW the extended Abyss was finished on film; I saw it in the theater in a 35mm special engagement in 92 or 93.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because James Cameron has his head so far up his own Avatar arse that he can't be bothered. He keeps saying that he's seen new masters and keeps promising that it'll be out soon. He's been saying this for a good decade. Which is unfortunate honestly because these films are awesome, and The Abyss is the best he's done.

FWIW the extended Abyss was finished on film; I saw it in the theater in a 35mm special engagement in 92 or 93.
Wasn't the film first made as the "special" edition and shortend for the theatrical run? I remember something like that from the DVD, though I might be misremembering.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh... crap, I have no idea. I recently rewatched it and it was the version where he
met the Aliens in their UFO.
I assume it's the first contact one? I don't recall another ending to the film, but I've only seen it twice.

Did the aliens...
make giant tidal waves and drive them towards all of Earth's major coastal cities, only to freeze them just before impact, in order to
make a point about the escalating nuclear tension playing up in the background of the film?