• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
https://thatnewtechsmell.wordpress....sfer-ps4-data-to-ps4-pro-sellingtrading-first

Is this article from 2016 still the best information on what to do in order to preserve my data going from my launch PS4 to a PS4 Pro when I won't have access to both consoles at the same time? Basically, back-up via external USB hard drive, deauthorize PS4, then restore once I get my new system.

Doesn't that take several hours? Could I go straight from deauthorization, trade in old PS4, and set-up on the new PS4 Pro since I meet the following conditions:
  1. Have the majority of my games on physical discs, meaning I'm willing to reinstall and download all the patches again
  2. For the games that I have bought on PSN, I'll still be able to re-download once I connect my PSN account
  3. Don't have any screen/video captures
  4. Upload and redownload all my saves from PS+
Is it just me, or does it seem easier to just rely on re-downloading everything from PSN instead of backing up and restoring via a USB hard drive? Am I missing anything else that I would need to ensure I keep when ignoring the back-up/restore process? Is there a way to ensure that ALL of my game saves are stored in PS+ cloud properly? Thanks.

MongeSemNome

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
As far as I know, You'll only face cloud problems if you share account with someone. If that's not the case and you've set the ps4 to auto-upload everything, it should be fine.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I believe the default setting for PS4 with a PS+ membership is to periodically update the cloud save data to be current.

If you're worried about all your save game data, I'd comb through all your saves and be honest with yourself — how many of those games will you really play again? Find the most important ones and manually check them.

I know for some big games like Witcher 3 or the Souls games, I want to make sure my save data is there so I can revisit down the road, finish expansions, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely does not take several hours, unless you are backing up entire games. You don't need to back up any game except P.T. if you have it and want it.

The PS4 will ask you what to back up. There you can only choose save data and P.T. if you have it. Although your save data should be on the Plus cloud, you can still play it safe and restore from a usb stick.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://thatnewtechsmell.wordpress....sfer-ps4-data-to-ps4-pro-sellingtrading-first

Is this article from 2016 still the best information on what to do in order to preserve my data going from my launch PS4 to a PS4 Pro when I won't have access to both consoles at the same time? Basically, back-up via external USB hard drive, deauthorize PS4, then restore once I get my new system.

Doesn't that take several hours? Could I go straight from deauthorization, trade in old PS4, and set-up on the new PS4 Pro since I meet the following conditions:
  1. Have the majority of my games on physical discs, meaning I'm willing to reinstall and download all the patches again
  2. For the games that I have bought on PSN, I'll still be able to re-download once I connect my PSN account
  3. Don't have any screen/video captures
  4. Upload and redownload all my saves from PS+
Is it just me, or does it seem easier to just rely on re-downloading everything from PSN instead of backing up and restoring via a USB hard drive? Am I missing anything else that I would need to ensure I keep when ignoring the back-up/restore process? Is there a way to ensure that ALL of my game saves are stored in PS+ cloud properly? Thanks.
Yes, it's generally easier to just redownload.

Buy a USB stick and copy all your saves though, personally I wouldn't rely on a cloud service to have all my current saves - especially when switching systems. USB sticks cost 10 bucks or so.

OP
OP
Dranakin

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely does not take several hours, unless you are backing up entire games. You don't need to back up any game except P.T. if you have it and want it.

The PS4 will ask you what to back up. There you can only choose save data and P.T. if you have it. Although your save data should be on the Plus cloud, you can still play it safe and restore from a usb stick.

Oh, I didn't realize that you could pick and choose what you want to back-up. I might try that then, since I want saves but don't care for game installs.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I believe the default setting for PS4 with a PS+ membership is to periodically update the cloud save data to be current.
I'm curious, does this apply to all accounts on the system, or just the one with Plus? I have a Japanese account with plus because I want to use my JP credit card, but I play on my NZ account so all my trophies are in one place.
If it's just the one account then this feature is useless to me