• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I am typically all for media being fair game once something has been out for several years. I refused to watch Game of Thrones for its entire life span. My friend just got me into watching and I am loving it so far, and am in season 4 already.

Unfortunately there are a ridiculous amount of spoilers in posts totally unrelated to the show. I will never ask this of anyone ever again, but please spoiler your text if you are going to talk about things that have happened in the last couple seasons of Game of Thrones.

I know this was the biggest thing ever and it is my fault for being a latecomer, but I would definitely appreciate it, and I am sure others would, too!

CuW57OSWIAIxmfh.jpg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
but if i watch my own spoilers i'll get double spoiled

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
I always respect spoilers but there are people who talk super casual about them. So somebody spoiled something GoT related in a thread not related to Got? Stuff like that is gonna happen but people should at least.... spoiler tag

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, if you don't keep up on something as broadly popular as GoT you should expect to be spoiled unfortunately.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately people don't care, as you can see by some of the "joke" posts in here. It's incredibly easy to be inconsiderate when posting online and since people in general are lazy they look for excuses to posting spoilers without tags instead of just using tags of thinking of ways to rephrase things. Things like that Harry potter spoiler are annoying because I plan to watch all the potter films at some point and sure I'd heard it before but it had been long enough that I'd forgotten about it and now I know again, so thanks a lot. Hopefully I forget about by the time I finally watch those films
I'd say a lot worse about people who feel things but I'd rather not get banned. It has definitely happened enough for me to get pissed off everytime people try to wave it away as just being lttp.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Unfortunately people don't care, as you can see by some of the "joke" posts in here. It's incredibly easy to be inconsiderate when posting online and since people in general are lazy they look for excuses to posting spoilers without tags instead of just using tags of thinking of ways to rephrase things. Things like that Harry potter spoiler are annoying because I plan to watch all the potter films at some point and sure I'd heard it before but it had been long enough that I'd forgotten about it and now I know again, so thanks a lot. Hopefully I forget about by the time I finally watch those films.
You can't honestly expect people to censor every popular culture reference ever. That's not how popular culture works. Frankly, you're the one who's being inconsiderate by asking such a tremendous change from the entire populace just to sate the needs of an extreme minority.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I think once a year has passed it shouldn't be considered a spoiler but I can see this being an issue for some.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately people don't care, as you can see by some of the "joke" posts in here. It's incredibly easy to be inconsiderate when posting online and since people in general are lazy they look for excuses to posting spoilers without tags instead of just using tags of thinking of ways to rephrase things. Things like that Harry potter spoiler are annoying because I plan to watch all the potter films at some point and sure I'd heard it before but it had been long enough that I'd forgotten about it and now I know again, so thanks a lot. Hopefully I forget about by the time I finally watch those films
I'd say a lot worse about people who feel things but I'd rather not get banned. It has definitely happened enough for me to get pissed off everytime people try to wave it away as just being lttp.

When it's a recently released product like a game or a movie, I tend to give a month grace when it comes to spoilers after that it's fair game.

On the flip side are some folks who get worked up over spoilers, like you would not believe the fuss that people kicked up when someone posted an article to why the Hookshot wasn't in Breath of the Wild, saying the fact that the hookshot not being in the game was a spoiler.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always careful not to spoil stuff but we're on a geek forum and you're talking about the biggest show on TV right now.

I'm not gonna spoiler tag that Han Solo dies in TFA, come on.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I don't think it is particularly fair to ask an entire community of tens of thousands of people to cater to you because you could not be bothered to watch one of the biggest shows in television history for the past 7 years

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Things like that Harry potter spoiler are annoying because I plan to watch all the potter films at some point and sure I'd heard it before but it had been long enough that I'd forgotten about it and now I know again, so thanks a lot.
This is ridiculous.

So no one should openly talk about Harry Potter because maybe you wanna watch it in 30 years or something? The only person being inconsiderate here is you.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You can't honestly expect people to censor every popular culture reference ever. That's not how popular culture works. Frankly, you're the one who's being inconsiderate by asking such a tremendous change from the entire populace just to sate the needs of an extreme minority.

Agreed. Like, in a thread that specifically talks about GoT where it's clear you haven't caught up? Yea, be considerate. But in general for such a popular show? C'mon now.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is ridiculous.

So no one should openly talk about Harry Potter because maybe you wanna watch it in 30 years or something? The only person being inconsiderate here is you.

Examples like kingpin Rogers are why I don't even try to reason with the spoiler sensitive anymore.

It never ends and can be as petty as a location (like a forest lol) in a game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have been putting spoilers in thread titles on gaming side, and they always get catty when I call it out.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is what defines a spoiler? Some people think that a description is a spoiler! You can't please everyone. Quality content isn't ruined by spoilers, it works even if the twist is known.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Leon Kennedy gets killed in the RE2 Remaster.

Yeah. 😈

I honestly have no clue. I just want some attention. 🙁

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with you, but at the same time, if someone makes a topic about the show you should probably stay out of it. Even if that person is only posting about the earlier seasons.

Also, you have to remember something very important. Not only did they do that half-season crap in pushing the final season to April 2019, but GRRM will likely never finish his books. People are bored and therefore a bit more reckless in discussing the show and the books.

Finally, I mean this with all respect. Finish seasons 5-7 and cry with the rest of us.

P.S. Don't search for any of my posts.

Last edited:

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, talking about silly Game of Thrones stuff is just part of pop culture. I won't mention anything in this thread out of respect but I won't spoil tag stuff in other threads. Like if I want to post a certain character walking out of a window after Trumps says something stupid I'll do it.

Just peace out of the internet for a few weeks if you want to avoid spoilers OP.

Not a Horse

Aug 15, 2018
You're trying to deny others the ability to openly discuss parts of popular culture or make pop culture references related to something that you've voluntarily abstained from.

You are a horribly selfish person trying to play the victim. It's a fine thing to expect until a piece of media propagates, or in the period between the same story being published in different mediums, but you're expecting everybody to guess what part of our culture we can discuss openly based on when you expect to partake.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's been too long to put spoiler tags for something like the red wedding. It's such a known part of the public consciousness by now.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
You can't say "hold the door" to the doorman when you're not even in the same city yet. If I have to stay off the internet on a Monday to avoid spoilers you can't come along and moan years later, it reeks of self entitlement.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I mean... if I'm in a thread about Game of Thrones or whatever, sure I can be sensitive about spoilers.

But across the board? No way. I don't foresee an instance where I'm in some random thread and need to talk about the plot details of Cloud Atlas or whatever the hell. But I'm not going to live my life worried about spoiling things for people when I'm not specifically in a setting dedicated to that material.

That's too damn much. Besides there is joy to stories even if you know what happens, if knowing what happens in a story ruins it, I dare say the story never was much good in the first place. Knowing how something happened or why, should arguably be much more enjoyable and engaging than knowing something happened.

Besides how do I know what you consider a spoiler? People consider all kinds of ridiculous trivial things spoilers. Its. too. much.

This "oh no I've been spoiled!!" part of our culture is ridiculous.

In closing: the last seasons of the GOT TV are a rushed jumbled mess that's barely worth talking about anyways. Have fun :P

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
You've had since August of 2017 to catch up. Get a trial of HBO go and go to town.

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
this a troll?

harry potter books are over a decade old, films finished in 2011. if you're still pissed about 8 year old spoilers, hate to say it but the real asshole is you. check yourself bruh.