• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm sick and tired of these dirt cheap Chinese headphones from Amazon. I want something that lasts longer than half a year before breaking down.

I'll use them for:
- cycling almost daily on my way to work
- indoor rowing

They should :
- have decent battery life
- have a cable! I want to be able to pull them out without fear to loose them on my bike
- not provide perfect noise isolation, I prefer to hear my surroundings exercising, I'll use my cable IEMs for that.
- be waterproof
- not cost 300$

I'm on iOS if that matters (no, I don't want AirPods), and I don't want to discuss cycling with headphones please. I listen to audio books with one earpiece.

thank you all!

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Powerbeats3 Wireless is the perfect match for you. Powered by the same W1 as the AirPods for effortless cross device pairing. Has some cancellation, but it is more to clear the music than block you out.

Buy them, try them, and return them within 2 weeks if you don't love them. Apple Store of course.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
not provide perfect noise isolation, I prefer to hear my surroundings exercising, I'll use my cable IEMs for that.
Check out the Plantronics Backbeat Fit.

They sit well but are wireless, but from my own experience they definitely won't fall out. They are not sealed so some noise comes in.

Also water proof.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Have a look at any wireless earbuds from Anker. Can't recommend them enough. Especially for the price
I had some, exchanged them 3 times until the warranty ran out :/

Powerbeats3 Wireless is the perfect match for you. Powered by the same W1 as the AirPods for effortless cross device pairing. Has some cancellation, but it is more to clear the music than block you out.

Buy them, try them, and return them within 2 weeks if you don't love them. Apple Store of course.
Thanks! I didn't know the chip is used in other headphones, too

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
I had some, exchanged them 3 times until the warranty ran out :/

Thanks! I didn't know the chip is used in other headphones, too
Yep! Full specs here.

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/powerbeats3-wireless

If you have an Apple Store near you, you can actually try them out in store! They have some demo pairs which they will give you a sealed pack of ear plugs so you can open it, put them on, and try it out yourself with your own music and device. Regardless, you get to keep the plugs.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Amazon's reviews for the beats are terrible though. Looks like they have reliability issues and often fail after some months.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I guess you are right, I just had a terrible run with headphones the last years and just want some that work 🙄

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Amazon's reviews for the beats are terrible though. Looks like they have reliability issues and often fail after some months.
Check rtings.com rather than Amazon reviews.

From personal experience people will especially give 5 stars for the 10-20 bucks wireless headphones because they don't know shit but got dirt cheap wireless buds.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Bone-conduction headphones are really good for cycling, and if you cycle competitively on some races they're the only headphones that are legal. They keep your ear canals unobstructed so you can still hear traffic and things around you. I got my girlfriend a set of AfterShokz for Christmas (she's a keen cyclist) and she thinks they're great.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They Aukey headphones seem to be a good cheaper alternative... but they are sealed... so many fucking headphones, damn

Bone-conduction headphones are really good for cycling, and if you cycle competitively on some races they're the only headphones that are legal. They keep your ear canals unobstructed so you can still hear traffic and things around you. I got my girlfriend a set of AfterShokz for Christmas (she's a keen cyclist) and she thinks they're great.

oh yes, I saw these... I'm not cycling competitively in any way, only against myself and my garmin profile lol. Pretty expensive though

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Plantronics Backbeat Fit!!!!!! They're light, have earbuds you can easily remove and replace, and amazing bluetooth (best outside of the W1 apple stuff).

I hate that I lost them.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
They're fucking expensive, but I've been using the Jabra Elite Active 65ts for a couple of months (got em in a black friday deal) and they're fantastic.
Goodass sound and they stay in really well.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
Plantronics Backbeat Fit!!!!!! They're light, have earbuds you can easily remove and replace, and amazing bluetooth (best outside of the W1 apple stuff).

I hate that I lost them.
Second this. They're perfect for running or cycling due to (1) open-ear design which allows you to hear your surroundings, (2) they're incredibly stable - almost impossible to dislodge once you put them on, and (3) pretty good battery life and Bluetooth connectivity.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
which Backbeat Fits are you referring to? All the sport headsets from Plantronic are called Backbeat Fit 🧐

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
This seems a good place to ask, a good way of listening to music in the water? Like swimming and such.

HotTakeCakes

Alt account
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Reading
I'm currently using Mobvoi's TickPods :

mobvoi-ticpods-prod-720x720.jpg

I use them for running (indoor and out), rowing and weight training and have been the best pair of earbuds I've owned in years. Great reviews all round. £120

Harpua

Oct 25, 2017
The Jabra Elite's are wonderful. Expensive, but can be found on sale anywhere from $90-130 (refurb on eBay from Jabra for the lowest price).

I cringed at the price but now own two pairs. They also have hear through technology for ambient noise (ie, hearing a car when cycling or running on the street).

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The Elite's look great, but they are just too expensive and don't have a cable.

Watching Flossy Carter right now, he tested some a month ago. Always a good time lol

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using SoundPeats. I have the Q30 model, but I think most of their models are decent.
Their headphones get good reviews for a budget brand and I have no complaints (I had some shitty no-name Chinese ones before, and they were terrible in comparison).

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

My friend is a runner and swears these are the best. I can't believe there aren't cheaper alternatives but i guess he'd know, i'm no runner.
He bought 3 pairs.
First pair stopped working after 2 yrs, he lost the second pair, he's now on his third which as a matter of fact he's returning today because they won't charge.
I don't particularly like the way they sound tbh but the microphone is fantastic.
They're not exactly earbuds which he prefers because he doesn't risk being ran over. Although, i don't know exactly know by whom, since he's been running on the tapis roulant exclusively since ruining his back on the street years ago.

Me, i just keep buying Anker and similar brands. They sound good enough and are very cheap, which is crucial for me because i keep losing them, sleeping with them still on and rolling all over them, or hopping in the shower not realising i'm still wearing them.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
I use jabra elites and they are great.

I am just like you. Got sick of the cheapos and finally got the jabras and now I am satisfied.

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
If I'm going to drop >100€ on my new headphones, the Bose Soundsport and Jaybird X4 are my favorite right now. I like the Jaybird, because you can change them to over ear headphones if you like.

I tried some headphones with solid earloops. I'm pretty sure that the combination of these with my glasses and a beanie I wear under my helmet, will get pretty uncomfortable after a while. So normal earbuds, probably with these wings, will be best for me.

Thanks all again

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Another vote for backbeat fits from plantronics. I never knew they were so popular here I've been recommending them for years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The Bose ones are good I really like them, the one with the band that rests on your neck. I use them biking running and playing basketball.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Another vote for the Plantronic Backbeat Fits.
Can't recommend them enough.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
I've got the Beats X. Same chip as air pods and pretty cheap with half decent sound quality.

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
The Jabra Elite's are wonderful. Expensive, but can be found on sale anywhere from $90-130 (refurb on eBay from Jabra for the lowest price).

I cringed at the price but now own two pairs. They also have hear through technology for ambient noise (ie, hearing a car when cycling or running on the street).
Yup. That tech is great if you are a runner. Use it all the time and love it.

Oct 29, 2017
I use Aftershokz Trekz Air for running and wouldn't wear anything else. Music sounds more than good enough for exercising and I can hear my surroundings and stay safe.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I love going into "Looking for wireless headphone recommendations" and then they ALWAYS, ALWAYS say they don't want Airpods.

Their loss, I guess. They're pretty incredible. Any reason you don't want them, OP?

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lol I love going into "Looking for wireless headphone recommendations" and then they ALWAYS, ALWAYS say they don't want Airpods.

Their loss, I guess. They're pretty incredible. Any reason you don't want them, OP?
as I wrote above they don't stay safe in my ears. Thats a pretty big issue for headphones like this lol. There is also nothing to be found about water resistance? Pretty important for me as I use my bike in all conditions with the exception of thick ice on the road ;)

OP
OP
grmlin

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's me again, finally bought some.

The rtings link was great, and I ended up getting the Aukey Latitude: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/aukey/latitude
I know, cheap headphones again, but they are exactly what I was looking for, and they had lots of good reviews everywhere.

Very pleased so far, my only "complaint" would be the good isolation. Well, I'll get around that by using a single one on my bike, listening to audible.

Thanks again!

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
So what's the recommendation here for something sub-100 with the same quality/sound profile as regular apple headphones?

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i've had great luck with Jaybirds (x3, so older) but they have withstoof my alien sweat that melted my Senny cables