• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This one was my pride and joy, I think I saved up for well over a year to buy it.

I used these to build myself a custom space station.
Oh damn, got the middle one and the lower one when I was a kid. Sadly they were lost when we moved.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
While LEGO Pirates was my favorite series...
X2oVST0.jpg

...my favorite set was something far more mundane. Spent so much time playing with this one, since the car wash was so cool to me.
AYtf7rH.jpg

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I have fond memories of this one, my first bigger set.

6278-1.jpg

The bridge could be turned over by removing a support piece and there were many secret spots. Love it.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man so much nostalgia in this thread. Parents wouldn't buy me Nintendo, but I guess Lego was always alright...

These were my bar none favourite sets as a kid:

6071-1.png

6274-1.png

6080-1.jpg

love this one as it could open up from the back. such a great idea.

6954-1.jpg

I used to Make Batman mini-figs before they were a thing in the early 90s...cut out a cape from garbage bag, and use black moldable gluey tape stuff (my dad was a mechanic, probably used for fixing stuff in cars) to make the batman mask.

Lego never did make a musketeer set did they? Missed opportunity IMO. I used to take the capes you got on the 80s lego castle sets, paint them navy blue, and emblazon the fleur-de-lis on them with silver touch up paint lol, and turn the capes so the mini figs wore them like tunics. Top them off with the tricorns you go on the pirates/imperial sets and their cutlasses and boom musketeer set.

Many hours spent building with my younger brother and having epic battles.
My parents saved most of my lego sets from when I was a kid. Including the castle and ship in your post. There is something quite cool about watching my daughter play with them almost 30 years later.

However I cringe whenever she breaks part of the castle apart or when she swaps the figures weapons / armour etc. I find it hard to let go ;)

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This was my pride and joy, so many adventures.

68kEQTP.jpg
My best buddy growing up had that one.

The stacked "windshields" were super cool. Also, looking at those black "turbines" i can almost feel the texture / haptics between my fingers.

Cmiiw, couldn't you remove the middle part from this model? or the wings?
Models around that era were all about the 'modularity' gimmick.

While LEGO Pirates was my favorite series...

...my favorite set was something far more mundane. Spent so much time playing with this one, since the car wash was so cool to me.
AYtf7rH.jpg

Oh yes! loved putting my finger (and only my finger!) between those two brushes.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017

The stacked "windshields" were super cool. Also, looking at those black "turbines" i can almost feel the texture / haptics between my fingers.

Yeah you could remove all 3 parts and combine them in different ways.

Here's my contribution:
1682-1.jpg

The OG (I think) space shuttle. I had this as a kid and loved the shit out of it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
forgot to shoutout lego's coolest line, the alien one.

namely, this alien x-wing:
9346b337672e6a9290c1dbaf75868cce.jpg

it's so good

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

Yeah you can pull it apart into three segments. Used to do a "survive a crash landing" scenario with the feature and the buggy. Wings could also store two prison cells.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Couple more sets I would have loved to own but they were really expensive back then

6399-1.jpg

I got this one year for my birthday. And by a strange coincidence we saw it at a car boot sale a few weeks earlier and I nagged my parents about it and my dad came back to the car later that afternoon with a big box hidden under his coat. I never was quite able to put my finger on what happened there. :p

Another one of my favorites. It had lights!
w1zE41H.png

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I got this one year for my birthday. And by a strange coincidence we saw it at a car boot sale a few weeks earlier and I nagged my parents about it and my dad came back to the car later that afternoon with a big box hidden under his coat. I never was quite able to put my finger on what happened there. :p

w1zE41H.png
omg YES!

d4e4o5g414p4n5x5m444v2x2e4v2q2w214i4w5d41433v234t20314x2.jpg

I had this one - iirc, you could tuck the little wings with the cannons underneath those black parts. Also, that containment cell!

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Blacktron walker!

6876-1.jpg

It was my favorite as a kid and I bought it again for nostalgia's sake a couple of years ago.
My first ever Lego set, going as far back as my memory would let me.

Blacktron (all the old space themes really) was so awesome. I really wish Lego reissues were a thing, I'd go back to buying them on the regular again if so.

Oct 27, 2017
The Imperial Shuttle is fantastic, I built that one a few years back. A lot of the Star Wars sets are great, X-Wing, Millennium Falcon (non UCE), Star Destroyer. One day I want to get the Super Star Destroyer.

My pick though is the Lego Voltron set that came out last August

GUEST_55d21542-f772-49b4-a17f-3c5171da2f22

All five lions are fully detachable and transformable.

ultra7k

Oct 27, 2017
I also had this one, which didn't show in my first post for whatever reason. My grandma bought it for me for doing well in school, after I bugged her about it for months haha.

latest

Lots of fun playing Black Knights vs Wolfpack vs Forest bandits

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first ever LEGO set. I will never forget it.

Oh my God. Oh my God. I think this was my first set too! I took it apart when I was a kid and used the parts to make my own stuff. That was so long ago that I forgot what the original set looked like. Just the other day, when this thread was first posted, a couple of the pieces from it popped into my head and I started daydreaming about putting it back together again. But I didn't know what it was supposed to look like. Now I do! I know what I'm doing tonight :D

forgot to shoutout lego's coolest line, the alien one.

namely, this alien x-wing:
9346b337672e6a9290c1dbaf75868cce.jpg

it's so good

I have this set! I've always loved how it looks. But for about a decade I forgot I had it as it was stuffed in a closet. About a year ago I found it again and put it in a place of honor on my shelf.

Oct 26, 2017

w1zE41H.png

Had lights? It still does.

lego_spacepolice01.jpg

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, got the middle one and the lower one when I was a kid. Sadly they were lost when we moved.

I still have... some parts of them. I know I chucked the boxes, lost the instructions, and tore down the original space ships to get the pieces I wanted for my space station. It'd be a miracle if I still had all the pieces still.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like the retro gaming room I designed.

me4.jpg

me3.jpg

Not yet on Lego Ideas, unfortunately...

On a more serious note, I got the Y-Wing last year and I loved it:

Rogue One's AT-ST was also great.

maxresdefault.jpg

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
My parents saved most of my lego sets from when I was a kid. Including the castle and ship in your post. There is something quite cool about watching my daughter play with them almost 30 years later.

However I cringe whenever she breaks part of the castle apart or when she swaps the figures weapons / armour etc. I find it hard to let go ;)

I totally get it xD

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
Woah, I completely missed the Dino Attack era. Never seen that stuff before this thread.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved the Blacktron M-Tron Ice Planet shit posted in here already. Lemme volunteer these tho:

6984-1.jpg

6957-1.jpg

swedish_chef.jpg

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Of the more recent ones I'd definitely have to go with this Hobbit set An Unexpected Gathering. Just tons of detail crammed into a small set that fits nicely on a bookshelf.
79003-1.jpg

Bookshelf? Went with a garden table myself:
hobbithole20lk0v.jpg

And bilbo is about ready to fight back against these rowdy house guests.
hobbithole1yjje9.jpg

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I liked the Knight, Pirate, and Islander sets the most. The Time Cruisers were cool too.

But this was my favorite set, I built, rebuilt, and modified it so many times.

6081-1.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
Of the more recent ones I'd definitely have to go with this Hobbit set An Unexpected Gathering. Just tons of detail crammed into a small set that fits nicely on a bookshelf.
79003-1.jpg

Fuck, why did I have to miss this set? It's going for a good ÂŁ130 at least on eBay and I'm not sure whether I'd be willing to pay that amount.

It looks so good though. The perfect small 'Lord of the Rings' display set.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's really hard to pick from the sets I have but if I had to choose a top 3 (and this is incredibly difficult) I'd go for:

10214 Tower Bridge
GUEST_ae036a21-78e4-40bc-9db5-540fca1343a5

This was the first set to get me 'back into' Lego and boy is it a good set. It's a rather repetitive build (you literally build the same tower twice) and the lack of numbered bags was a pain but the finished product makes for an impressive display.

21309 Nasa Apollo Saturn V
91ZeEoyc6JL._SX425_.jpg

I was in awe at the size of this lad. The thing towers over you in a way no sets do, and the details and construction that went into it were absolutely amazing.

10243 Parisian Restaurant

This is my definite favorite of the 'Modular Building' sets I own. The theme and the details just work really well together, and if you're only going to buy one then this is definitely the one to buy (that and then Assembly Square).

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So much nostalgia in this thread... Some of my favorites. I had this one, as well as the launchpad from the same year.
6544-1.jpg

This one was by far the coolest. I think it stayed together longer than any set I had.
6991-1.jpg

This one always made me want to buy more tracks and trains, and build a huge rail system. Never did get around to that...
4559-1.jpg

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goat. V8, 4-speed gearbox, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steering with independent suspension, front, rear and central differentials. Absolutely incredible design:

8880iso.JPG

Even the secondary build was fantastic:

8880altiso.JPG

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think the main difference is Moe's Bar is actually associated with beer, and the interior would ask for a bar with tap and beer mugs. It's just one step to far. Don't forget that, even though these big sets are geared towards adults, Lego is still a family brand and it wants to keep that image.
LEGO sucks. I want my Moe's!!!

I can't really think of any other location they could make from the show that's iconic enough to fit with the other two besides Moe's. Besides the school but it'd be pretty big. But it would have soooo many of the kid and teacher figures. Also the church but that's also out.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
For me it's Parisian Restaurant & the original 3 Minecraft builds. I just loved the little micro nature of those.

A19C_1_20140225466010248.jpg

10243 Parisian Restaurant

This is my definite favorite of the 'Modular Building' sets I own. The theme and the details just work really well together, and if you're only going to buy one then this is definitely the one to buy (that and then Assembly Square).

I just want to +1 this post. This set was a really fun build that I broke up over a week and it was great. I still leave mine fully built on my shelf.

Oct 25, 2017
This was my first ever set. I took it apart and put it back together so many times I eventually didn't need the manual anymore.

6263-1.jpg

This was the crown jewel of my collection.

s-l1600.jpg

Had a bunch of Star Wars sets as well, my favorite being:

7166-1.png

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Lego star wars imperial star destroyer
75055-1.jpg

2nd fav
s-l1600.jpg

Now that I'm a grown up, its insane to me how expensive Lego's are. No wonder my parents could buy the one's I actually wanted like the Death Star T_T

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
LEGO 7094 King's Castle Siege

7094-1.jpg

LEGO 7041 - Troll Battle Wheel

7041-1.jpg

LEGO 7097 - Troll Mountain Fortress

latest

LEGO 10193 - Medieval Market Village

10193-1.jpg
This was when I was peak into LEGO. Or like the final few "kids" sets I had at least. Man

I always wanted the market set but it was +100 USD iirc.

I had the castle,the troll boat that isnt posted here and I think the wheel.