• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hello ERA can you please share your favorite LEGO Sets, I would love to see what everyone likes from old sets to new ones.

( it doesn't even really have to be sets, it can be individual pieces or anything regarding building LEGOS )

- also please use pictures if you can find them for your favorite sets and other LEGO pieces etc. Thank You!

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
latest

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Sucker for the UCS Star Wars sets.

Slave 1

GUEST_8adb9350-26a9-4c50-8cfe-b25128c6c229

(the most recent) Y-Wing

Snowspeeder

One of the best sets in recent years, and one of the best overall really.

Sadly, it wasn't all that fun to build. - very same-y throughout. And it's really hard to display somewhere.
Though the 'click' when you connect each stage of the rocket is suuuuper satisfying :D

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lego-exo-force-set-7708-uplink-8__75139.1460997252.500.750.jpg

Exo Force is cooler than Bionicle or Ninjago. I would instantly spend so much money on a return.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
One of the best sets in recent years, and one of the best overall really.

I'm also really fond of Ninjago City, The Parisian Restaurant, The Ninjago Movie's Destiny's Bounty and the Disney Castle:

s-l1600.jpg

e36b59a7-c7cf-455f-bb24-edc475154873._SR285,285_.jpg
I don't know anything about Lego but those last three sets look really cool. I didn't know Lego had classy stuff like the restaurant.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere where I can find the dimensions of the finished sets for these things? I've got a really nice glass cabinet that I think an X-wing would look nice in, but I'm not sure it'd fit.

That is enormously cool, but I shudder to even contemplate what it must cost
It's not extravagant compared to what you pay for the big Star Wars sets or something. No licensing fees on NASA stuff!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there anywhere where I can find the dimensions of the finished sets for these things? I've got a really nice glass cabinet that I think an X-wing would look nice in, but I'm not sure it'd fit.

It's not extravagant compared to what you pay for the big Star Wars sets or something. No licensing fees on NASA stuff!

Lego online store usually posts dimensions

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
6595-1.jpg

Surf Shack will always have a place in my heart!
I'm a big fan of ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAWS Ice Planet, my favorites were
6834-1.jpg

Celestial Sled and
6898-1.jpg

Ice-Sat V

1349-1.jpg

Steven Spielberg Moviemaker Set got me into video production. The included software was amazing to me.

Also a shoutout to Mindstorms Robotic Invention System 2.0, that shit got me into programming.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I had a bunch of extra track and my brother and I would use furniture to build roller-coasters. The train was cool on its own but there was much more you could do.
kv0IKHl.jpg

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of the Disney theme parks, it was this that got me back into buying sets as an adult. It's utterly beautiful:

Q4tmOSt.png

ruT2ggp.jpg

I do have to throw out a mention to the Saturn V rocket as well, that set more than any other got huge interest out of Lego circles; a ton of my friends in the sciences picked it up because it's so utterly brilliant.

Also, the fact that it's 1969 pieces is beautiful.

Edit: And yeah, the pricepoint on the Saturn V is fantastic, less than $150 for almost 2000 pieces is incredible.

Last edited:

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Black Knight's Castle was a favourite as a kid, a friend had it and it was the quintessential Lego set to me. I had Royal Knight's Castle which I also thought was great.

My favourite more recent set would have to be Haunted House.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The early Lego space stuff was my jam.

WgfSUsn.jpg

kIzZnG0.jpg

Nyj7UOg.jpg

Nowadays, I really love the smaller to medium sized sets ... especially 3in1 Creator and Star Wars

ys6vgy3.jpg

KI0JuAJ.jpg

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Blacktron walker!

6876-1.jpg

It was my favorite as a kid and I bought it again for nostalgia's sake a couple of years ago.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, it wasn't all that fun to build. - very same-y throughout. And it's really hard to display somewhere.
Though the 'click' when you connect each stage of the rocket is suuuuper satisfying :D

Are you mad? :P It's imo one of the most amazing Lego builds I ever experienced? So many unexpected, amazing techniques, and every part of it uses different ones. I had tremendous fun building it.

I don't know anything about Lego but those last three sets look really cool. I didn't know Lego had classy stuff like the restaurant.

They have the whole Creator Expert-line, that is geared towards adults. Bigger sets with more complex building techniques. The restaurant is part of the modular series, which releases a new building every year. It's an amazing line, consisting of almost only great sets, but Parisian Restaurant is by far the best one. You can all arange them into a single 'street'. (Well, these days in a block, as some sets are corner buildings)

The Expert line also has a great line of cars, fun fair rides and models of existing buildings like the Taj Mahal and Big ben.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
This one was my pride and joy, I think I saved up for well over a year to buy it.
6098-1.jpg

But these are the ones I got the most mileage out of:

I used these to build myself a custom space station.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Are you mad? :P It's imo one of the most amazing Lego builds I ever experienced? So many unexpected, amazing techniques, and every part of it uses different ones. I had tremendous fun building it.

Are you sure about that? Also, even so - every part uses the same technique at least 4 times. Like, the "use certain lego techniques to make a perfectly round tube" aspect got old after like an hour, or so; and didn't really wow me anymore, at that point. But maybe we just like different things. The end result is a fantastic model, of course.

Meanwhile, there's UCS models that use so many vastly different techniques throughout the build. Like, the Snow Speeder has so many non 45° or 90° degree angles.
check this Twitter thread for examples.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite model as a kid was certainly the M-Tron uhm ... huge ... rover
6989-1.jpg

I built and disassembled it so many times, i could assemble it without the manual.
In general, the M-Tron and Black Tron lines were the ones i grew up with and which hold a special place in my heart.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure about that? Also, even so - every part uses the same technique at least 4 times. Like, the "use certain lego techniques to make a perfectly round tube" aspect got old after like an hour, or so; and didn't really wow me anymore, at that point. But maybe we just like different things. The end result is a fantastic model, of course.

Meanwhile, there's UCS models that use so many vastly different techniques throughout the build. Like, the Snow Speeder has so many non 45° or 90° degree angles.

Hmm, I built it just after it was released, but yeah I remember that every stage seemed to use different stuff to get the round shape. But I can be that both the first and second are very similar, and that only the third one uses new stuff. Anyway, I really liked building it.

And I've built only two UCS models (Slave 1 and Tie Fighter), and I won't argue they don't have amazing techniques too. Especially the Slave-1 is one of the best Lego builds ever imo. Snow Speeder is still in the box untill I find a place to actually display it.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
And I've built only two UCS models (Slave 1 and Tie Fighter), and I won't argue they don't have amazing techniques too. Especially the Slave-1 is one of the best Lego builds ever imo. Snow Speeder is still in the box untill I find a place to actually display it.

That one's a treat to build. The Y-Wing looks fantastic, especially due to all the details on the connectors between the engines and the cockpit
LEGO-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collector-Series-Y-Wing-75181-comparison.jpg

But it isn't all that exciting of a build. Plenty of cool detail work, little interesting techniques. Like, the engines are the exact diameter of pretty vanilla parts, so ...

Also regarding the Saturn:

Here's the first stage:
C2vCmmZ.png

further into the build.
jAKQeDP.png

the second stage:
U0wolMA.png

is "shaped" the exact same way - and those make up like 60% of the height of the model and 2 hours of my 2 hour and 40 minute build

Again, not dissing the set itself - it's fantastic - but it was just less fun than other models :)

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
That one's a treat to build. The Y-Wing looks fantastic, especially due to all the details on the connectors between the engines and the cockpit
LEGO-Star-Wars-Ultimate-Collector-Series-Y-Wing-75181-comparison.jpg

But it isn't all that exciting of a build. Plenty of cool detail work, little interesting techniques. Like, the engines are the exact diameter of pretty vanilla parts, so ...

Also regarding the Saturn:

Here's the first stage:
C2vCmmZ.png

further into the build.
jAKQeDP.png

the second stage:
U0wolMA.png

is "shaped" the exact same way - and those make up like 60% of the height of the model and 2 hours of my 2 hour and 40 minute build

Again, not dissing the set itself - it's fantastic - but it was just less fun than other models :)

Going to skip the Y-Wing as I have the play-set and that's already a great model (and I didn't like building that one at all, so I can imagine the UCS is a slog to get trough).

And hmm, first and second stage are similar ofcourse, especially for the bulk of it, but I tought those steps went pretty fast, while the bottom of stage one and the top of stage 2 are more complex and different enough. Well, different tastes and all, but I really enjoyed building that. (My all-time favourite building experience is Ninjago City though. Lots of cool and unexpected techniques, lots of variety and as the model is a combination of different rooms and appartments, you have a great sense of progress because reguraly you finish a part of it.)

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Man I want that Saturn V so bad. I'm not even into Lego. I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. How long do Lego sets like that normally stick around for? Do I need to buy it ASAP if I want it or am I safe to wait a year or so? I don't have room to display it right now.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Man I want that Saturn V so bad. I'm not even into Lego. I saw it for the first time a few weeks ago. How long do Lego sets like that normally stick around for? Do I need to buy it ASAP if I want it or am I safe to wait a year or so? I don't have room to display it right now.

Retirements are *usually* rumoured several months in advance, so paying attention to forums like this can be pretty informative. I've heard nothing about the Saturn V being on the way out yet. We are entering the window where it might be lined up for it (usually two-three years), but as I mentioned upthread, it's a really popular set even outside the usual audience, so I'd have a hunch there's another year at least in it yet.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Retirements are *usually* rumoured several months in advance, so paying attention to forums like this can be pretty informative. I've heard nothing about the Saturn V being on the way out yet.

That's perfect! Thank you, I want to wait until my new office is finished so I can put it in there.

Oct 27, 2017
A friendly reminder that we have a community thread here

The Slave 1 UCS I had waited for, for a long time. The pre-Disney Death Star was a standout as well, as was the 2008-ish Carousel. The Technic motorized excavator from 2011 (the one with 4 motors) and the Technic flatbed truck (with motorized extendable tow frame) are types of models with mechanical cleverness Lego hasn't made before or since. The VW camper van (which is still available for purchase at retail) was a unique build back when it was first released.

For sets that are currently available right now and don't break the bank, the pirate roller coaster, Harry Potter great hall, Flintstones ideas set, Lego Movie 2 house, Star Wars Porg, are all very interesting builds.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
You're probably safe, though it has been around for some time now. Like somebody said before: set retirements tend to be rumoured beforehand, but on the other hand, sometimes sets can disappear quite suddenly too.

As this year is the 50th anniversary of the landing, I don't see it going out of production for at least another year though. But again, with Lego you never really know.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
lego6473.jpg

fucking loved this one. The rubber around it, the wheels under to move it around, the loading bay fitting prefectly right to load the little wheeler on the back... its was so cool

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
My favorite from when I was a kid was Knight's Stronghold:

6059_01.jpg

6059_03.jpg

My favorite set that I'll probably never buy/build is The Tower of Orthanc
18so0ir76eklijpg.jpg

chidrock

Oct 26, 2017
The Slave 1 is one of my favorites, but Wall-E is also up there:

R2-D2 (looks a lot better in person):

91Ah0ylTSKL._SY679_.jpg

I also really liked the Sea Cow for its craziness:

91txpO7tzrL._SL1500_.jpg

vacantseas

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a lot from when I was a kid that I absolutely loved. This was around 1986, 1987.

6392-1.jpg

6381-1.jpg

6393-1.jpg

6699-1.jpg

1555-1.jpg

Sadly I gave away all my Legos years ago. I still have the above Santa Claus however and he comes out every Xmas. Such a shame as I had a giant tub of legos filled with everything.

I recently got back into Legos, and have the Saturn V on my desk and a couple of the architecture sets of where my wife and I have gone on vacation.