• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not a great way to surf on my phone (iPhone 6s). The picture is just small and the only way to say it to copy the link, open a new browser or download the picture and see it in fotos.

Pictures will scale to your device, there is no quotes needed. This is how it looks on my phone:

image.png

It will not get bigger by clicking on it.

And here a comparison:

hJnsuGk.jpg

Thanks.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First, when the site launched, you could tap on a picture in a quote in mobile to have it expand, but that stopped working around the time the site when v 1.2.

Second, sometimes people just don't want a giant image, or giant wall of images, taking up giant space in their post.

Third, I just pinch to zoom on mobile, since the tap to expand stopped working.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's useful if you want to post multiple pictures without spamming the page, because the quote box is collapsed.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably leftover habit from the Old Site. But yeah, considering ERA automatically resizes images, it's not necessary to put them in quotes. In fact, it's worse to do so. The picture in the quote in the OP is too small as is, and when I click on it, it suddenly becomes too big. The non-quoted image is perfect.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I posted a native 4k image. That's rescaled to my monitor, and it doesn't look like an overblown image at all.. I don't know what that argument really is.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you make OTs you know how awful is it to see a whole page full of images taking forever to load.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On desktop some large pictures can be huge if they aren't quoted. Only way to see the whole image is to open it in a new tab.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, but if they could make it click to scale to your resolution, then click again to make it actual resolution, that would be best case scenario.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Pictures will scale to your device, there is no quotes needed.
Huh. But it does it do this on desktop too? Or do you get massive oversized images on PC without quoting.

On desktop some large pictures can be huge if they aren't quoted. Only way to see the whole image is to open it in a new tab.
Ah, there it is. Sorry OP, but I personally find giant images even more annoying and considerate. And if you don't have time to resize and reupload them yourself, the easiest thing to do is quote.

OP
OP
Kenzodielocke

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. But it does it do this on desktop too? Or do you get massive oversized images on PC without quoting.
Yes, I can click on the 4k screenshot and it gets huge, it just looks like a 1080p sized picture right now.

I guess the reason why I made this thread is, I went into PetERA and was really frustrated to not properly see all cool pets on my phone, because lots of them are in quotes.

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
That's because, for some reason, the spoiler function is hidden under the + button despite being one of the most useful function.
This please add spoilers to the main bar having to quote stuff all the time is a real pain In the ass.
Quoting images is still super useful please don't stop doing that.

Mr-Joker *shakes fist* =b

Hydes

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the real problem. Hide is for hiding text from lurkers. The issue is they added Hide as a top level button while Spoiler is buried in the + menu.
This.
Can we please make it easier to use Spoilers and harder to use Hiding.
I think this is great insight for our site programmers.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The best thing about spoiler tags?

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the solution is to max out the horizontal pixels of any image to 720p or something, and then allow you to click on the image to see the full resolution. This is how it's done on some other forums.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No!

I browse on Android chrome on a Note 8. Can zoom anything on any page and it's all super readable.

Maybe don't use a tiny crappy iPhone

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm sharing a whole bunch of images, then quoting them is better so you don't have to keep shifting through dozens of giant pics each time you go back into the thread.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is a fine idea until someone posts a picture bigger than God and even on desktop it takes ages to scroll through it.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the OP. This is a modern forum and these kind of work-arounds aren't really needed here.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I also often browse on mobile, but I prefer images in quotes.
When someone quotes you, your image will appear again. Putting it in quotes prevents that, and thus makes pages much more readable overall.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
When posting a LOT of large images in one post *, it's best to use the quote, otherwise it really clutters up the thread especially if they get replies. But for individual pics, yeah, it's not necessary.

* Not counting image-specific threads such as screenshot threads etc. of course.

Also stop using hidden text instead of spoiler tags.
YES PLEASE

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably leftover habit from the Old Site. But yeah, considering ERA automatically resizes images, it's not necessary to put them in quotes. In fact, it's worse to do so. The picture in the quote in the OP is too small as is, and when I click on it, it suddenly becomes too big. The non-quoted image is perfect.
The old site automatically resized images, too.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
The worst part is that it doesn't even show the whole image when you put it in a quote.

It has that pointless white fade effect going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.