• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So today, somehow, my Nintendo switch screen became scratched up. I actually brought it with me when traveling (never making that mistake again) and now I don't think I can stand playing it anymore.

The thing is, had it been a scratch somewhere off the side of the screen, I would've been fine with it. But the problem is, it's one, long, horizontal scratch located exactly in the middle of the screen. I cant even play with my switch anymore because that scratch stares me directly in the face and irks me to no end

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I scratched my screen as well and have a screen protector on it now, it makes the scratch almost invisible, I have to look for it in harsh lighting before I can see it.

so try putting a screen protector on it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Do you not buy a screen protector for your phone either?

Why would you not spend <10$ to protect a $$$ piece of portable tech?

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
Wow @ all the condescending screen protector posts. What community!

No, not sure there's a way to remove the scratches since I think the part of the screen that scratches is just plastic. The real screen rests a few mm below that. I'd call Nintendo and see if they'll offer to fix it.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try this then, what ones do you guys use?

As long as it's tempered glass you're fine, amFilm seems to be the best one, you also get two, so if you mess up on your first try you get another go. Look up some videos on Youtube before you apply it.

I actually have one on my Switch but not on my phone haha, which is pretty dumb because the phone is like three times more expensive.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
If you wipe it clean and put a glass screen protector (not plastic) they kinda hide the original scratches.

I don't have one either, latest Gorilla glass ftw.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

They don't feel as good to the touch as the actual screen does, and they hamper the crispness of the screen. I wouldn't hamper my experience with an expensive device by adding cheap plastic on top of it.

Then again, I don't drop my phone or pocket it with keys either. I don't think I've ever had my screen scratched despite never owning one of those protectors.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
You can send it in for repair to Nintendo. They might even do it for free. They fixed mine for free, but it was obviously a dock scratch.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can get it replaced by Nintendo if you're one of the lucky/unlucky peeps that had their Switch scratched due to the dock. Happened to me and Nintendo did it without issue.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I don't use screen protectors on anything and never had any issues, but the Switch needs one, hopefully with a screen protector on it you wont be able to tell.

The amfilm one is legit and easy to put on. (Though I'm an idiot and some how put it on backwards the first time and fucked it all up)

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Nope.

I've owned my S7 Edge for two years and an S5 for two before that, and I've never scratched any of my phones.

I put a screen protector the day I got my Switch due to the copious amounts of complaints I encountered online. Aside from protection, the protector actually makes the screen feel less cheap to the touch.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
its funny with how poorly i treat my switch the screen is the one the thing that is still pristine.
no screenguards, no covers, often ill just toss it about and i never took enough care to avoid scratching it while docking it.

The joycons on the other hand are absolutely pieces of shit for me. I dont even use them at all anymore. Way happier with a $20 wired controller.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From what I read, screen protectors kinda suck when your phone screen bends at the edges.
yeah, i recently got an expensive as hell tempered glass protector for my curved screen phone and its honestly ass. the closer you get to the edge the more unresponsive the screen feels. im just gonna get a normal one to save the primary surface and risk the edges.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

I have no need for one on my phone. Dropped it multiple times, shoved it in my pocket with coins, etc. Thrown it all over the place. It's not gonna scratch, unlike the Switch's plastic screen.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding using a screen protector to mask the scratch, the ones that I've used in the past have only made more obvious. Something about how they refract the light from the screen made it look like were thin artifacts in the places there were scratches.

I don't use a screen protector or a case on my phone. I try to be careful with my stuff, so it works out just fine. I'll probably end up putting one in my Switch though, because the screen is plastic and scratches incredibly quickly. Most phones' screens are surprisingly scratch resistant because they're made of glass.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Had mine since launch, and y'all finally scared me into buying a screen protector.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017

Screen protectors are near useless on modern phones, their screens are scratch proof. I've done without them for 8 years and never had a single scratch on any of my phones. Even the old ones that are stored messily in a cupboard with plenty of small objects rubbing against them are still impeccable.

On devices like the Switch or the PSP, it's mandatory though.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know that feel. That's why I bought an am film screen protector before my switch came in. Right when I opened the box I put on the screen protector before doing anything else lol.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
My screen protector recently just saved my screen from a potentially nasty scratch( since the scratch itself was on the protector) so I had a big grin on my face. Screen protectors FTW.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
They don't feel as good to the touch as the actual screen does, and they hamper the crispness of the screen. I wouldn't hamper my experience with an expensive device by adding cheap plastic on top of it.

Then again, I don't drop my phone or pocket it with keys either. I don't think I've ever had my screen scratched despite never owning one of those protectors.

Oh i'm not talking about plastic protectors, those really suck. Glass is the way to go.

Not at all.

Phones have gorilla glass.

Switch has bottom tier plastic

My girlfriend shattered her iphone 6 screen last week. Probably not gorilla glass, but at least that will never happen on Switch, thus a glass protector, easily replaceable. The plastic screen will survive a drop from the top of a building.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Kalmakoffee

Usually, screen scratches are just like tiny ravines dug in 1 straight path. Your goal here is, either you remove the ravine ridges, or you fill in the ravine with some materials that would prevent light reflections from appearing. Buffing the ravine ridges is a risky thing, because it involves you rubbing expensive, #4000 grit and up to #100000 grit abrasive materials around the area to slowly remove the ridges.

Perhaps there are some aftermarket scratch remover where you put some sort of transparent gel into the ravines. See if any of those work for you.

Otherwise, you live with it and get a screen protector to prevent further damages to your screen.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
had it been a scratch somewhere off the side of the screen, I would've been fine with it. But the problem is, it's one, long, horizontal scratch located exactly in the middle of the screen. I cant even play with my switch anymore because that scratch stares me directly in the face and irks me to no end

When I got the ALBW LE 3DSXL, I left it on the counter for about 20 minutes and when I returned it had somehow gotten a long, deep, scratch on the outside casing right through the Triforce art. It killed me inside. I understand your pain and I'm sorry. I got a glass screen protector for my Switch screen, would recommend after you get yours fixed or replaced.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017

Never have a screen protector on my phone because it's glass and never had an issue.

The switch on the other hand is a plastic screen so I did put one on it asap after I heard about the dock issues.