Please welcome your new General Manager: B-Dubs!

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Dear ResetEra,

Happy new year! It's hard to believe that it's been over two years since this site was first founded. It feels like an eternity and yet it feels like no time at all. We had to put a lot together in a hurry, and today the community is thriving on a cutting edge platform with exclusive features. It's been humbling to be a part of building that and accompanying you all on this journey. However, I've been feeling burned out for a while now. 2020 is set to be a big year, and you deserve a General Manager who can put their best foot forward.

So today I am relinquishing my involvement in day to day operations here on ResetEra, including staff management, moderation, policy creation, etc. Of course I never handled any of that by myself; the staff have always done everything as a team, and that collaborative spirit will endure. Going forward I do not intend to have a direct hand in anything but industry outreach and logistical support. I'll be on indefinite hiatus for the foreseeable future.

B-Dubs is your new General Manager. This is an enormous responsibility, requiring more work (and more stress!) than you might think. I really respect his courage and enthusiasm in taking this on.

I share with B-Dubs a particular pride in the work we've done to make ResetEra the most inclusive large gaming community on the internet. That work is ongoing, and B-Dubs is passionate about continuing it. Nobody loves this community more, and nobody is better prepared for the responsibility. He will have access to all of the resources and tools he might need. He has a team of wonderful people behind him. You are in good hands.

Thank you to all the members and the staff, you've been the greatest. This community's best days are yet to come.

B-Dubs

Oh well, what the hell?
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Hello everyone! This is a huge honor and responsibility. To tell you the truth, I’m not entirely sure how to feel about all of this. That probably goes for a bunch of you as well. For years, since the site’s inception, Cerium has been a big part of the team and keeping the trains running on time. Looking at everything he’s done behind the scenes to prepare for this handover has shown me just how much trust he’s placing in me and how much the community has depended on his work, often without even realizing it. So, I would like to thank him for the vote of confidence and for keeping vigil for all this time. None of this would exist without him. If anyone deserves a break, it’s him. Thank you for everything you have done for all of us.

I wasn’t one of the launch mods, but I was brought onto the team in the first months of the site’s history. I had to be convinced by friends to accept the position. The argument that worked was that I would be able to help make sure that we rejected and banned the alt right trolls, gamergaters, and the rest of the scum of the internet. I know first hand how hard we’ve worked to keep the worst of the internet off the site, and we want to do more. We’ll never be perfect or make everyone happy, but I can promise that we’ll do the best we can. In my life, I have always tried to be a better person than I was the day before--smarter, more empathetic, more responsive to the needs of others--and I will bring that same attitude to this position. As a team we will always strive to do better each day.

Last April I helped organize a forum-wide event that resulted in a few hundred members getting tags, we’ve been calling it the Thanos event. About 1000 people signed up for a 50-50 chance at getting banned for a month and those that remained were tasked with solving puzzles for the month. Some were hilariously simple, others not so much. I’d like to think we all had a lot of fun with it and I would like to do that sort of thing more often. There have been a few members of staff that have pitched ideas for events like this and we’ll be looking to make them happen in the next year. Just fun things for members of the site to do, a reminder that we are all here to make our lives a little brighter.

Beyond that, there are other ideas for new features that we’d like to explore. Things similar in spirit to GiftBot, things that will hopefully be as big a hit and allow people to have a bit more fun with other members on the site. I won’t go into any details yet, simply because organizing development is always a challenge and there’s no telling what might happen in the future, but everyone involved in the discussions so far has been excited.

Other than the fact that I am now in charge of the running of the site, I don’t imagine much will change right away. In terms of moderation we will still give the bigots, trolls, and horrors of the internet no quarter. Anyone that knows me, either on here or in real life, knows that I’ve always fought those things as hard as I can. I will do the same as general manager. I don’t imagine that I will be perfect or get everything right on the first attempt, but I trust and love the people around me and I think that, together, we can meet and exceed your expectations.

Also, can we cut out the platform warring? It’s driving me a bit mad. New consoles are coming, they’re going to be awesome, can we just have fun?

Mist

Vagrant Harlot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As a member of the ResetEra team for 2 years, I just want to offer my sincerest thanks to Cerium for the exemplary leadership, care and support he has shown to the team. I am grateful that you have provided me the opportunity to give back to the community I care so much about. For believing in me and giving me a strong voice, as an LGBT+ woman of colour. Not just me, but everyone else in the team. I think I speak for us all when I say: thank you, from the bottom of my heart. Please take care, and be well.

B-Dubs is someone whom I hold an immense amount of trust and respect for. It would be difficult to find a more empathetic and compassionate person for the job. I am also confident that with him at the helm, the women and minorities on the team will continue to have a strong voice, and that we will continue our efforts in finding even more valuable voices to add to the team in the future. I look forward to continuing to work closely with you. Good luck, you have our support!

Quinton

SOLDIER 1st Class
Oct 25, 2017
The Research Triangle
I’m a pretty new addition to the moderation team. I haven’t had the privilege of knowing Cerium or B-Dubs for very long. But! I want to say a few things nonetheless.

I’ve learned a lot in my short time serving. I’m not talking about how to moderate — that goes without saying, but it’s not the most important thing I’ve learned. The most important thing is that the folks working behind the scenes here are awesome, awesome people. Truly, I mean it. I never really knew any of the staff especially well, as I’m sure may be the case for at least some of you. But from the moment I met Cerium, I could feel how important our community is to him. How much he genuinely cares. And B-Dubs? Goodness gracious. B-Dubs has been such a wonderful, patient teacher who has encouraged me to prioritize real life no matter how many reports pile up. A simple concept, perhaps, but an important one, because it shows that he will always endeavor to support those working alongside him any way he can. And what else does that mean? Why, he’s compassionate, that’s what! A compassionate leader is what a place like ResetEra needs. Someone who understands — ultimately, that’s all it really takes. He makes sure that voices are heard from every spectrum of our community and works hard to maintain that openness. I think this site is going to continue to be rad with his supervision, getting better all the time.

tldr; Cerium rocks and deserves to have a blast! And B-Dubs rocks and is a blast.

Delphine

Baby, Pink is my favourite part
Mar 30, 2018
France
In the 5 months that I have been a moderator now, I have had the pleasure to work with Cerium, and each time has been proof of his dedication, professionalism, and deep love for this forum. I have always been amazed at his leadership style, one that is full of guidance, cooperation, communication and empathy. I'm forever thankful he gave me the opportunity to help this community as part of the staff, I'll happily serve it for as long as I can!

I'm absolutely delighted at B-Dubs being appointed General Manager. I know we'll go in the right direction under his leadership as well, as I've witnessed his insane hard-work ethics, the outpouring of love he has for this place, and the emphasis on communication and team play that he displays at all time.
It's a new Era, and I'm thoroughly excited about it! Happy 2020!

Transistor

Crash() Void() Purge()
Oct 25, 2017
Cloudbank
I've been with this community since the beginning, and while I've only been on staff for a few months now, I can safely say the community is in great hands.

Thank you for all you've done for us, Cerium!

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Already miss you Ceri! As I gained more and more responsibility on the mod team it was Cerium who kept saying he believed in me and knew I could do it. The best man behind the curtain a site could ask for.

So do I speak to B-Dubs about my back pay then?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
also, speaking as a former mod, i can't tell you how much i learned and grew as a poster from both cerium and b-dubs, and am more than grateful for the faith they had in me to be on the team

i'm legit proud for dubs, he's earned it

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This site has a GM? Hopefully we can make some good trades and stay under the salary cap. Congrats.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Next logical step is a brand split with dueling general managers of Gaming and OT culminating in a PPV extravaganza.

Console wars vs Star Wars! Weekend Era taking on Review threads! MCU duking it out with next gen! All in an over the top rope battle royale!

Transistor

Crash() Void() Purge()
Oct 25, 2017
Cloudbank
Next logical step is a brand split with dueling general managers of Gaming and OT culminating in a PPV extravaganza.

Console wars vs Star Wars! Weekend Era taking on Review threads! MCU duking it out with next gen! All in an over the top rope battle royale!
Just wait until we organize the console wars cage match!

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Take care Cerium, I appreciate all the hard work you've done through all the years.

Here's to 20 more years.

And of course a big congratis to you B-Dubs.

The Bear

of Love
Oct 25, 2017
B-Dubs is good people.

Thanks for all the hard work Ceri, you have earned your rest for sure.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers, Cerium.
Thanks for all the hard work 🍆
Long live our new overlord!

AliceAmber

That spark, this Resistance, must survive.
May 2, 2018
Space
Dubs really is an absolute inspiration as a moderator, and I often tell him so. We're all in good hands.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
what is the hierarchy of Era as an organization? Is General Manager essentially CEO, or are there higher up positions or others who share this title. Just curious as it doesn't seem as though there is a way to find this out and tags here are usually comical in nature or vague.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Wow.

Wish you the best Cerium, I know running this website takes it's toll. B-Dubs was always great when I was a mod, Im rooting for B-Dubs and everyone on staff!

Legit question, with this change im curious: who owns ResetEra? Who is financing the website and does ResetEra make a profit?

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks Cerium and best wishes for the year, I've had a great time here and I'm sure the site will continue to be tip top with our new GM B-Dubs.

ghostcrew

Grabbed by the Ghosties
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Thank you for everything Cerium and HI DUBS.

If I was to judge B-Dubs' management purely on the time I've spent with him on the Sea of Thieves, I'd be worried. I'd be warning everyone that he's the kind of person who'd set everything on fire just to watch it all burn. I'd be worried that he'd be the kind of captain who'd drive us all blindfolded into whatever challenges lay ahead of us. Whether that was site difficulties or just massive rocks. Thankfully I've worked with him for going on 18 months alongside the greatest collection of staff and I know he'll be absolutely wonderful in this position. He will continue the stellar work that Cerium has done and the community are very lucky to have him in this role.

Words can't describe how thankful we all are to Cerium. He's worked beyond hard for this site and, more imporantly, for this community. I didn't quite appriciate the work that he did until I came on as a member of staff but it's an understatement to say that a break is more than deserved. Thank you so much.

Mist

Vagrant Harlot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

If I was to judge B-Dubs' management purely on the time I've spent with him on the Sea of Thieves, I'd be worried. I'd be warning everyone that he's the kind of person who'd set everything on fire just to watch it all burn. I'd be worried that he'd be the kind of captain who'd drive us all blindfolded into whatever challenges lay ahead of us. Whether that was site difficulties or just massive rocks. Thankfully I've worked with him for going on 18 months alongside the greatest collection of staff and I know he'll be absolutely wonderful in this position. He will continue the stellar work that Cerium has done and the community are very lucky to have him in this role.

Words can't describe how thankful we all are to Cerium. He's worked beyond hard for this site and, more imporantly, for this community. I didn't quite appriciate the work that he did until I came on as a member of staff but it's an understatement to say that a break is more than deserved. Thank you so much.
This is so true. Especially the bolded.

Lonestar

Too Old for this Place
Oct 25, 2017

hey, come buy me a month of gamepass again, so I can shoot the General Manager with a Cannon.

Don't read into that sentence, it doesn't mean anything.

Deleted member 16452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for everything Cerium!

B-Dubs is great and I feel like we're definitely still in good hands with this change.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
France
Job well done, Cerium.

And my impression of B-Dubs was already good. The Thanos event was fun, we're still Avengers, and he's rocking a BotW Link avatar. Link is cute cool.

YaBish

Oct 27, 2017
Good stuff. I really appreciate what this site stands for (on its best and worst days), and I hope to see it continue for a long time yet. Thank you Cerium, and congrats B-Dubs!

The Woods

The way out is through
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's been an absolute pleasure and honour to work with Cerium, who has been incredibly dedicated to this community, and worked tirelessly every day with all of us behind the scenes to do the best that we can. B-Dubs is a great candidate to take on this role and responsibility, and I'm thrilled to be working with him in this new dynamic.

If I was to judge B-Dubs' management purely on the time I've spent with him on the Sea of Thieves, I'd be worried. I'd be warning everyone that he's the kind of person who'd set everything on fire just to watch it all burn.
Can confirm.