• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Woke up to it snowing this morning. Checked the weather and next week is looking pretty interesting.
hnEhopW.png

Oct 27, 2017
From what I understand it's going to be nothing even remotely like February last year.
Just wet this morning where I am, north of Seattle.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was certainly interesting, but 80%+ of all the "snowpocalypse" events turn out to be nothing still so I'll remain skeptical.

If it does happen, I guess it's a good time for me to be unemployed.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Snowpocalypse is overblowing things a bit, but it will definitely be cold next week, and there will definitely be moisture.

Will there be snow in Portland? Probably.

Will it hit 2008 or 2017 levels? Not a chance.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Dang I love snow, wish this was hitting further south! Looks like my area's just gonna get a little bit of it for a couple days at best, probably more rain than anything else, and much too warm to stick even if it does. This winter's been really warm so far and man I am super ready for it to start actually feeling like the season it is.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My in-laws from Nebraska were in town last February. They finally understood why the snow destroys us here. Aside from our complete lack of urban plows, the city being built on the side of a hill, and people's unwillingness to shovel their fucking sidewalks (I shoveled our entire block and got weird looks from people), my FIL was saying our snow is much wetter and heaver than the stuff they get.

Snowpocalypse is overblowing things a bit, but it will definitely be cold next week, and there will definitely be moisture.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Last edited:

_swee_

Oct 26, 2017
Portland OR
Portland here so waiting for the disappointment. At least my boss said I could work from home if I think I can't make it into work

Kaiser

Nov 11, 2017
If it's anything like it was last year I'll be surprised. So we'll see how spokane fairs this year.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect time for me to visit Seattle for the first time and go cross country skiing.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Snowing here at MS in Redmond. Already planning to work from home next week cause my kids school will be cancelled.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty nice to me (I'm in Mpls). -1 F for the high forecasted here by next Thursday.

honestly we've had a pretty mild winter so far though and actually a pretty decent amount of sunny days and not a lot of snow.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want to move to the northwest so badly. Here in the DC metro area it's been in the 50s - 70s for weeks with only a light snow dusting the other day. I love snow and we just never get it anymore.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Expecting another year of being jealous of Washington's snowfall and seeing none here in Oregon :(

Oct 27, 2017
I want to move to the northwest so badly. Here in the DC metro area it's been in the 50s - 70s for weeks with only a light snow dusting the other day. I love snow and we just never get it anymore.

It's a real pain in the ass to drive in here. First, it tends to melt and then refreeze so the roads are skating rinks. Two, due to glaciers going south and then back north you have hills everywhere to contend with when driving. Three, since we don't get that much snow there isn't much investment in snow plows because it's not worth the public expense.
Add in that most people don't own chains let alone even put on winter tires and yeah, it's a mess.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017

Make sure you head on over to the Canaan Valley in West Virginia some day. It's a great hippie area full of snow over the winter.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm thrilled we're getting some snow. It makes everything pretty. I don't have to go to work ("lucky" me) so it doesn't bother me too much, except for this steep ass hill that i have to use to get out of my neighborhood.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
So basically very little will happen? There's less and less snow in the area every year, it seems.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Last year was all hype. So not expecting much.

Edit: sorry, it was bad for everyone else. I live in NW Portland, so we got a light dusting.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sound like it's going to be nearly as bad as last year was.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

SDOT is responsible for some sidewalks and paths that are not immediately adjacent to homes and businesses, like overpasses and public stairways. Otherwise, adjacent property owners or residents are responsible for clearing sidewalks.

"If you see that snow, do your job [to clear it] and if you can't, get people to help you," Durkan said.

Residents who don't clear their sidewalks may get warnings. Although city code allows for fines starting at $50 for failure the clear the sidewalk of snow and ice, an SDOT spokesman said the department will prioritize educating people over fines.

Shovel your damn sidewalk people.

Claire Delune

10 Years in the Making
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Seattle Area
SnoCo here. Had some accumulated snow this morning + actively snowing outside my house, but it all disappeared with the elevation change of driving down the hill I live in.

I hate snow with a fucking passion, last year was awful.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kids are excited for it. I'm indifferent. I drive a jeep so it's not so bad, but at the same time I can just work from home anyway.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
No thanks.

But to those saying "hyped events are usually nothing"... I've also lived through a couple of the opposite here. Not hyped events turned into disasters lol

It's not an exact science, they can be quite wrong in either direction.