• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
No thanks.

But to those saying "hyped events are usually nothing"... I've also lived through a couple of the opposite here. Not hyped events turned into disasters lol

I'll take over prepared every day over people ignoring it and then things actually get bad.

We also have a 3 month emergency supply in our garage in case of an earthquake knocking out utilities and roads, so yeah.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
No thanks.

But to those saying "hyped events are usually nothing"... I've also lived through a couple of the opposite here. Not hyped events turned into disasters lol

It's not an exact science, they can be quite wrong in either direction.

Winter weather forecasting has always been notoriously unpredictable in the PNW (and probably always will be), so I tend to stay in 'believe it when I see it' mode until the flakes start falling. It's not like I don't prepare - I have snow shovels and ice melt, I'll pick up extra stuff from the store when I go shopping this weekend, just in case, but I'm not going to get super excited or panic until the precipitation is ready to come inland. At least I have the option of working from home either way.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'll take over prepared every day over people ignoring it and then things actually get bad.

Yeah that's why I mentioned it; as much as people make fun of the freak-outs.. we've had some disasters nobody freaked out over that turned out pretty bad in the past.

There was one in the 90s where school districts didn't shut down and by the end of the school day their was like a foot of snow in places... kids who lived on hills ended up getting abandoned miles from their homes in stuck busses lol (was one of those kids)

But I'll continue to say last years run on the supermarkets was rather ridiculous. Just a bit much.

But I can walk to 2 grocery stores so just don't worry too much about snow and food.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Should be a fun game of fuckball in the snow at Lambeau. Best of luck.

Go Hawks
The snow is supposed to stop by the time the game starts but I'm hoping we get something like this again, this is the best football.

b72f10f1bd166e860502be617d831574.jpg

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Yeah that's why I mentioned it; as much as people make fun of the freak-outs.. we've had some disasters nobody freaked out over that turned out pretty bad in the past.

There was one in the 90s where school districts didn't shut down and by the end of the school day their was like a foot of snow in places... kids who lived on hills ended up getting abandoned miles from their homes in stuck busses lol (was one of those kids)

But I'll continue to say last years run on the supermarkets was rather ridiculous. Just a bit much.

But I can walk to 2 grocery stores so just don't worry too much about snow and food.

I don't like fear mongering, I think it's more the people who get stuck somewhere or don't have food/supplies and then complain about it. You had warning, you knew it was a possibility. Better to just be informed and aware.

Yeah, I can walk to PCC and Whole Foods so thats always nice.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully I have tire chains and an ice scraper, I should make out just fine like I did last year regardless.

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I was promised snow dammit, now I have to go to work instead of working from home.

mrmojo228

Dec 3, 2018
People like to get all proud and smug like "I was right" when snow is predicted and it doesn't happen but then they get real quiet when it does happen. Yeah, if you're skeptical every time you're going to be right sometimes. Best just to be mindful of it and prepared. Like not getting stuck on the freeway for 8 hours and abandon your car on the side of the road because you don't believe it. When it's showing 4 days in a row of mostly under freezing with precip every day though I feel like it's probably a safer bet something will happen than a day showing 38 degrees and 40 percent chance of snow. It only takes a couple inches to shut Portland/Seattle down so it's not like it even needs to be a huge event.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I missed Snowmageddon last year and just moved to Seattle in July. I'm excited! I'm not used to snow!

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I want to move to the northwest so badly. Here in the DC metro area it's been in the 50s - 70s for weeks with only a light snow dusting the other day. I love snow and we just never get it anymore.
May want to double check your notes, it basically never snows unless you're east of the mountains. I can recall maybe 3 or 4 snowstorms in the last 30 years that didn't turn into wet slush within a day. Last year was a freak storm.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
May want to double check your notes, it basically never snows unless you're east of the mountains. I can recall maybe 3 or 4 snowstorms in the last 30 years that didn't turn into wet slush within a day. Last year was a freak storm.

On the flipside, most winters we are only 45 minutes away from legit (as in not the Poconos "snow" which is really just concrete and oatmeal) skiing and snowsports and winter wonderlands.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

generally you are right, I'd say we had 4-5 snow events that were more than just slushmageddons. in the prior decade. 2012 was especially bad. We had a snow storm, followed up by an ice storm. It was a mess.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Cliff mass isn't too hysterical yet, so maybe we might get away with it and just have a few inches....but like I mentioned before..it takes about 2 inches before the city grinds to a halt.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
generally you are right, I'd say we had 4-5 snow events that were more than just slushmageddons. in the prior decade. 2012 was especially bad. We had a snow storm, followed up by an ice storm. It was a mess.
2019, 2012, 2006, 1996 were the big ones IIRC. You guys probably get more in Puyallup though.

Last edited:

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
SnoCo here. Had some accumulated snow this morning + actively snowing outside my house, but it all disappeared with the elevation change of driving down the hill I live in.

I hate snow with a fucking passion, last year was awful.
I love snow but I hate ice. We have a farm outside Monroe (in Woods Creek) so we have to kick out the animals' water buckets whenever it gets below freezing.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weather.com has been atrocious for years but their seattle forecast for the next few days is ridiculous. It's basically shrodingers snowstorm where we'll all end up like Jack Nicholson at the end of the shining but also it's just a 40% chance of light rain. Buggy as shit too.

Whole Foods was a mess tonight jesus
If you're talking about the Roosevelt one then I'm not sure I could detect a difference. Basically just Lexus and Mercedes SUVs competing to see who can be the biggest idiot followed by entire families stopping four abreast in the food aisles and seemingly incapable of detecting other humans. It's like the quinoa version of Bird Box.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Weather.com has been atrocious for years but their seattle forecast for the next few days is ridiculous. It's basically shrodingers snowstorm where we'll all end up like Jack Nicholson at the end of the shining but also it's just a 40% chance of light rain. Buggy as shit too.

I use the WUnderground app, it relies on local weather stations and I find it way more accurate.

If you're talking about the Roosevelt one then I'm not sure I could detect a difference. Basically just Lexus and Mercedes SUVs competing to see who can be the biggest idiot followed by entire families stopping four abreast in the food aisles and seemingly incapable of detecting other humans. It's like the quinoa version of Bird Box.

C'mon dude, that's my neighborhood store. 😐

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use the WUnderground app, it relies on local weather stations and I find it way more accurate.

C'mon dude, that's my neighborhood store. 😐

Well, you didn't build the store so I won't hold it against you. :-) I HATE going there on Sundays. It's a total zoo. Parking and oblivious people in the aisle. To be fair tho, the Trader Joe's at Rossevelt and 45th has some of the worst parking of any store in America. I've seen so many instances of two terrible drivers basically getting trapped by each other.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, you didn't build the store so I won't hold it against you. :-) I HATE going there on Sundays. It's a total zoo. Parking and oblivious people in the aisle. To be fair tho, the Trader Joe's at Rossevelt and 45th has some of the worst parking of any store in America. I've seen so many instances of two terrible drivers basically getting trapped by each other.

In my experience all Trader Joes have terrible parking situations except for the one on Highway 99 in Lynnwood. Itty-bitty slots to park your car.
There's a reason I go grocery shopping on weekdays around noon and that's because I don't have to deal with hordes of oblivious dolts. There's retirees and so forth but not that many of them, at least to a tolerable level.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
In my experience all Trader Joes have terrible parking situations except for the one on Highway 99 in Lynnwood. Itty-bitty slots to park your car.
There's a reason I go grocery shopping on weekdays around noon and that's because I don't have to deal with hordes of oblivious dolts. There's retirees and so forth but not that many of them, at least to a tolerable level.

Yeah, you want hell on earth, try parking at the Trader Joes on Madison and 17th.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've got mental plans in place for some snow days. Don't let me down this year, weather!

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Spokane, made the mistake of deciding to take my daughter to her Irish dance class on Friday. Normally it takes 25 minutes to drive there, so we left 40 minutes early. It took over an over to get there in the traffic, then we only had 20 minutes of class left. Took another hour and a half to drive home.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

I walk there about 99% of the time so it's all good.

The 45th/Roosevelt Trader Joe's is some Phillip Zimbardo psychology experiment. I tend to hit the one in Shoreline after going to Costco. It's in the old Top Foods building so it has an actual parking lot that cars can navigate.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Nothing here in Green Lake and I'm kinda expecting more of that. Just put my daughter to bed and she was like "maybe we'll have a late start tomorrow?" Don't count on it kiddo.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Just drove between Everett and Lynwood and there was a solid amount of snow (1-2 inches even on the highway). People shit on seattle overreacting to snow, but for someone like me, I live at the bottom of a hill and don't have the type of vehicle to get to work if it is sufficiently icy. Thankfully can work from home.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Nothing here in Longview, might get snow showers but doesn't look like it'll get cold enough to stick thankfully.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
You have clearly never been to the Costco in Shoreline. That is literally the 6th circle of hell.