• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They say as much as five inches in Everrett tonight. Sketchy in Wallingford this morning but easily managed. Snow swept off with brush (phew) but some ice and packed icy snow here in redmond. Terribad drivers everywhere.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
One more night of Convergence Zone madness for everyone north of Seattle. Just gonna be cold here with probably no more snow.

I tried to shovel the sidewalk but all I got was a fine layer of powder. The ice underneath wouldn't budge. Guess I'll throw down some ice melt so someone doesn't slip and fall.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
School I work for is the only one not delayed and open in my area. Every other school district around us is closed. I am getting snowed in at work. Cool. (Skagit County)

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Guess there was a change to the forecast this morning. Also now high winds on Wednesday :/

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always good times to see 4WD trucks stuck off the road because some yahoo thought they're impervious to a sheet of sheer ice.
Weather report here north of Seattle shows snow likely from 10 PM tonight to 2 PM tomorrow. Now nothing on Thursday with a mix of snow and rain Friday.

I'm in this skiing facebook group and I keep stressing to people that tires make a bigger difference than 4wd. Below are power rankings for driving in snow. Worst to best.

FWD with All Season Tires

AWD/4x4 with All Season Tires
FWD with good winter tires

AWD/4x4 with good winter tires (the GOAT)

People were giving me shit saying I didn't know that I was talking about when I said a FWD sedan with winter tires would outperform a AWD car with all seasons. But all it takes is a quick google to confirm it. Lots of tests have been done on this. The extra power and push from AWD means jack shit if the tires can't grip. Last sunday at Crystal Mountain I watched some kind of pick up truck strugging to get some traction to get out of the lot. My fwd sonata rolled out without skidding at all. Blizzaks were such a good purchase.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Lake Stevens. It's still snowing. I took a pic like this last year thinking "we won't get this again" lol

UYgNf3e.jpg

Dec 12, 2017
They dumped dirt on the roads in Mill Creek/Bothell overnight, probably thinking it would help but instead, it turned into frozen ice dirt and fuuuuuucked the roads.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Big bust in Portland so far. It's actually sunny outside right now, and there's no real precipitation coming in today. Even expectations for tomorrow are more subdued than they were yesterday.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to come down pretty good in Issaquah. Sticking too. Peeps are getting worried. Not sure how long its supposed to go for.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
Finally got some decent snow this morning in Bellingham. Hoping for more tonight. Sounds like temps will be rising Friday and on so only a couple days to enjoy it unfortunately.

Nov 16, 2017
My hopes for a day off have been dashed. I don't expect the rest of the week to be any different from today. Hell, didn't even have the two hour delay I had yesterday.

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
Hopefully it doesn't get too bad on Thurs night, that's when I get back to work. At the very least I can experience this weather from my comfy bed the next two days.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this skiing facebook group and I keep stressing to people that tires make a bigger difference than 4wd. Below are power rankings for driving in snow. Worst to best.

FWD with All Season Tires

AWD/4x4 with All Season Tires
FWD with good winter tires

AWD/4x4 with good winter tires (the GOAT)

People were giving me shit saying I didn't know that I was talking about when I said a FWD sedan with winter tires would outperform a AWD car with all seasons. But all it takes is a quick google to confirm it. Lots of tests have been done on this. The extra power and push from AWD means jack shit if the tires can't grip. Last sunday at Crystal Mountain I watched some kind of pick up truck strugging to get some traction to get out of the lot. My fwd sonata rolled out without skidding at all. Blizzaks were such a good purchase.

You can also feel the road - a lot of people just aren't attuned to the sensation coming through the tires to the steering wheel and literally don't pay attention to the information coming directly to their fingertips, Mrs Stinkles is like that. The steering wheel for her may as well just terminate at the dash and she never senses loss of traction till it's too late. That and steering away from skids put people in ditches all the time regardless of vehicles. You can drive a beater Chevy Caprice with bald tires if you pay attention.

When I moved to Seattle, I drove up from San Fran with a Mazda ProtƩgƩ with all-weather tires full of boxes and got caught in a brutal snowstorm storm in the mountains in Oregon. I carefully drove all the way through it, and felt plenty of white knuckle slides, but I must have passed three dozen stalled or spun out SUVs. I grew up in an icy wasteland and the only people with all wheel drive or 4WD were farmers and the landed gentry in Land Rovers.

School started two hours late and I just got a missed call from the school district. No message so no clue what that was about.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty slick here. Passed a bunch of slide offs between CdA and Spokane on my way to work this morning. Snows been falling pretty consistently for a day and a half or so, with some breaks here and there.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can also feel the road - a lot of people just aren't attuned to the sensation coming through the tires to the steering wheel and literally don't pay attention to the information coming directly to their fingertips, Mrs Stinkles is like that. The steering wheel for her may as well just terminate at the dash and she never senses loss of traction till it's too late. That and steering away from skids put people in ditches all the time regardless of vehicles. You can drive a beater Chevy Caprice with bald tires if you pay attention.

When I moved to Seattle, I drove up from San Fran with a Mazda ProtƩgƩ with all-weather tires full of boxes and got caught in a brutal snowstorm storm in the mountains in Oregon. I carefully drove all the way through it, and felt plenty of white knuckle slides, but I must have passed three dozen stalled or spun out SUVs. I grew up in an icy wasteland and the only people with all wheel drive or 4WD were farmers and the landed gentry in Land Rovers.

School started two hours late and I just got a missed call from the school district. No message so no clue what that was about.
This too. I literally took my driving test in the winter the day after a big snow storm. The roads in CT are better treated and plowed though.

Also in all my years of living in the Northeast I can't recall ever seeing snow that looks like this. It looks like bits of styrofoam or dipping dots. So weird.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is all kind of why I'm not in love with Seattle snow lol

It's rarely enough for actual.. snow driving, which works fine in a lot of vehicles. Instead it's ice driving, which works fine for.. very few vehicles.. and the roads are full of people who think their SUV for some reason can stop on ice on a dime.

Just drove the 3 blocks to Safeway (I don't have proper winter shoes right now to walk) and someone managed to nearly rear end me.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People leaving work now. All live in the Issaquah/Sammamish area which people say is a SHITSHOW.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is all kind of why I'm not in love with Seattle snow lol

It's rarely enough for actual.. snow driving, which works fine in a lot of vehicles. Instead it's ice driving, which works fine for.. very few vehicles.. and the roads are full of people who think their SUV for some reason can stop on ice on a dime.

Just drove the 3 blocks to Safeway (I don't have proper winter shoes right now to walk) and someone managed to nearly rear end me.

Yeah I'm nervous about the drive home. I may bail early and work from the house today. Don't want to find out kids sent home and I can't get back in time....

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah I'm nervous about the drive home. I may bail early and work from the house today. Don't want to find out kids sent home and I can't get back in time....
Yeah I'm working from home myself; was supposed to have a late meeting this afternoon on the east side and luckily it got moved to tomorrow which should be better since it's not supposed to get below freezing.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Been snowing here in Green Lake all afternoon and looks like it should continue off and on until midnight. Seattle Public Schools canceled all after school activities.

Looks like it's over for us. Had a nice little bit earlier but now I'm thinking all rain.

Alderwood Fred Meyer was an ice rink last night.

Final round of snow later tonight. Don't relax just yet.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Been snowing here in Green Lake all afternoon and looks like it should continue off and on until midnight. Seattle Public Schools canceled all after school activities.

Final round of snow later tonight. Don't relax just yet.

Oh I missed that. Do they have an estimate on how much?

I'm dreading the drive down to Seattle tomorrow for my fiancee's appointment with a lawyer.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weather patterns here are so weird.

Maybe 80% of my office left. One of my coworkers had her sister drop her off at work (she drives a jeep) and wants her to pick her up asap.

But her boss won't let her leave because they work in bellevue and its apparently not snowing there.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy snow in Capitol Hill now. It's so icy that I don't dare try to go anywhere. Will have to move a doctor appointment.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
This too. I literally took my driving test in the winter the day after a big snow storm. The roads in CT are better treated and plowed though.

Also in all my years of living in the Northeast I can't recall ever seeing snow that looks like this. It looks like bits of styrofoam or dipping dots. So weird.
Apparently it's called graupel. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graupel

I don't recall seeing so much of it in other years.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I drove home I a blizzard in Redmond, through freezing fog on the 520 with about twenty feet visibility, then snow on the i5 then blazing sunshine in Wallingford. As the crow flies less than ten miles apart. Schools canceled after school event so I had to be here anyway but it better goddamned snowpocalypse tonight or I'm pushing video game magazine racks over at KBToys!!

I'm gonna scatter a chaos carpet of Diehard Gamefan magazines.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
So I drove home I a blizzard in Redmond, through freezing fog on the 520 with about twenty feet visibility, then snow on the i5 then blazing sunshine in Wallingford. As the crow flies less than ten miles apart. Schools canceled after school event so I had to be here anyway but it better goddamned snowpocalypse tonight or I'm pushing video game magazine racks over at KBToys!!

I expect a light dusting.

It's weird to see blue skies.

Oct 27, 2017
Another winter storm warning in effect for us in the Convergence Zone:
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 AM PST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Areas of heavy snow expected. Snow will spread east from
the Olympic Peninsula later this evening and into the overnight
hours. Localized heavier snow bands are expected to develop,
especially from northern King County into Snohomish County.
Areas within heavier bands could receive 3 to 5 inches of new
snow. Elsewhere, outside of the heavier bands, widespread light
to moderate snow may accumulate, 1 to 3 inches. Uncertainty
continues in the placement of the heavy snow bands. Widespread
snow fall will lift north towards the Canada border into
Wednesday morning.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest and west central Washington.

* WHEN...Until 7 AM PST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Travel, including the morning commute, could be very
difficult.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

The blizzard had already come through North Seattle while you were on the east side.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So wunderground and Weather.com now predicting it skips Seattle with the north (Everett) absorbing the worst of it šŸŒŸ