• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Can anyone recommend some History and Philosophy podcasts that feature conversations between several perspectives that differ regarding sex, gender, culture and philosophy/politics (for example roundtable recordings in front of a live audience or a podcast with several hosts)? So far the Cracked podcast is the best I've found.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished The Infinite Bad podcast, my first actual play pod. Man that was fun. Sad to finish it.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Just finished a "Yeah But Still" binge (all episodes + Patreon episodes). Definitely recommend it for those who like comedy/two people talking about random topics podcasts.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone listened to Unwell? I'm always looking for serialized fiction that's horror/sci-fi but more the creepy end—not the assaultive end like What's the Frequency? (Which I'll give a proper shot eventually.) Unwell is titled "a midwestern gothic fiction" but all the midwestern elements are cloying and it's not as much a gothic slow burn as it is a lukewarm thaw. Almost nothing happens in the first half season. Doesn't help that the voice acting is mediocre—I was glad to see another reviewer complain the mom sounds vastly younger than the daughter because that's been throwing me off. I'll give the second half of the first season a try when it debuts in a couple weeks, just six more half hour episodes, but unless it kicks into gear I'll need another show like it to rotate in with The Magnus Archives.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone listened to Unwell? I'm always looking for serialized fiction that's horror/sci-fi but more the creepy end—not the assaultive end like What's the Frequency? (Which I'll give a proper shot eventually.) Unwell is titled "a midwestern gothic fiction" but all the midwestern elements are cloying and it's not as much a gothic slow burn as it is a lukewarm thaw. Almost nothing happens in the first half season. Doesn't help that the voice acting is mediocre—I was glad to see another reviewer complain the mom sounds vastly younger than the daughter because that's been throwing me off. I'll give the second half of the first season a try when it debuts in a couple weeks, just six more half hour episodes, but unless it kicks into gear I'll need another show like it to rotate in with The Magnus Archives.
Pick up Sayer instead

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
What are some history podcasts like Revolutions (Mike Duncan)? I like the weekly format vs. 4 hour long episodes every few months.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
I've been listening to the Case Files podcast for the past couple weeks, and man am I hooked on it. I've listened to about 40 episodes (shuffling around), I think I'm going to go back and listen to the ones that I missed in chronological order.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any good climate change science podcasts? Preferably something like TWIV - meaning actual researches discussing papers and having in-depth discussion.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be in a car with my parents for a few hours today. Any recommendations for something more narrative-y rather than hosts shooting shit, style podcasts? More Serial than Comedy Bang bang.

jani

Nov 9, 2017
Finland
Some new podcasts for me that i've been listening to:
victoriocity
this is branchburg
Roommate from Hell
Pratchat
Oz 9
Oblivity
Moonbase theta out

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
You Must Remember This is a great podcast that tells stories about old Hollywood that I find very good for group listening, it's a conversation starter.

And I use Overcast because of their playlists.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I hate/love revisionist history, I think Gladwell as an author and person is sus at best but he does make a damn good podcast. I don't really take any of his facts as 100% truth unless it's verified elsewhere though but it's definitely entertaining.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Malcolm Gladwell is great when he's doing sport stories (when there aren't really any stakes).

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Some new podcasts for me that i've been listening to:
victoriocity
this is branchburg
Roommate from Hell
Pratchat
Oz 9
Oblivity
Moonbase theta out
This is Branchburg is my favorite podcast in a long time. I've listened to every episode 3 times. So lightly surreal and funny and particular. Favorite sketch is probably the Principal's Motorcade.

jani

Nov 9, 2017
Finland
This is Branchburg is my favorite podcast in a long time. I've listened to every episode 3 times. So lightly surreal and funny and particular. Favorite sketch is probably the Principal's Motorcade.

Podcasts that are similarly surreal have recently been on my playlist.
Slumberland is also pretty good.. takes a few episodes to get sucked in but so far so good.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Podcast Addict, you won't look back :)
I've been using this app for about a year, and I frankly don't like it. Is this really the best there is in many people's opinions? For one, I have yet to discover a good way to handle starting a podcast from the beginning and continuing on that path, because the sorting options are terrible.

You're either downloading stuff in big batches and changing the sorting to show downloaded old in order, then having to search for another batch, or you're not downloading any and having it play just from the oldest, and then searching for episodes further down the list every time you go back to the podcast. There's no sorting option as far as I know that's oldest to newest, updating the top to be the oldest one you haven't listened to.

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who's into early episodes of the Adventure Zone, I've got a new one for you.

Dungeons and Daddies*

*Not a BDSM podcast (mostly)

Four dads and their sons are heading to a soccer tournament and find themselves sucked through a portal into the Forbidden realms and have to figure out how to rescue their sons

The stay at home sports dad becomes a barbarian, the crunchy granola dad becomes a Druid, the hard rocking cover band dad is a bard and the emotionally detached step father becomes a rogue that specializes in hiding in his own pants.

It's 18 episodes in and it's been hilarious the whole time. Everyone has to take 1d4 psychic damage when someone tells a dad joke. Beth May plays Ron and she has me laughing out loud multiple times an episode.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Recommending the latest How Did This Get Played.
Its not what I expected and I feel like I learned a lot from it

I'm sad that I wasn't able to get into this show. I liked the hosts and the content a lot, but there was so much laughing! Maybe it's a personal peeve, and they're genuinely funny so I get laughing, but it bugged me. I only tried one episode (on ME Andromeda) -- should I give it another shot? Are other episodes less guilty of this?

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad that I wasn't able to get into this show. I liked the hosts and the content a lot, but there was so much laughing! Maybe it's a personal peeve, and they're genuinely funny so I get laughing, but it bugged me. I only tried one episode (on ME Andromeda) -- should I give it another shot? Are other episodes less guilty of this?
Personally, I feel like the show is better now than it was at the beginning. They find their footing and their rhythm and I really enjoy it. The customized theme song every episode is great too.

That said, if the primary source of your irritation came from listening to them laugh at each other, then I don't think you'll find it any better. They laugh. A lot. I don't mind it as I'm usually laughing with them but I can understand why some wouldn't like that.

The latest episode about Custers Revenge is more serious than funny and I still think it's worth a listen as it's a learning experience for Heather, Nick, and Matt and something that I think a lot of us can learn from.

I'd start listening about 23 minutes in if you truly don't like the beginning.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Citations Needed needs to become mandatory listening for everyone in the USA. It's the best podcast on the planet for actually spelling out the truth behind just about every media narrative you can think of. From the war on drugs to deficit spending to pop tort reform. It's an astoudingly good political podcast and the way it shows how fucking awful the media in this country is just a breath of fresh air. I cannot recommend it enough.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Citations Needed needs to become mandatory listening for everyone in the USA. It's the best podcast on the planet for actually spelling out the truth behind just about every media narrative you can think of. From the war on drugs to deficit spending to pop tort reform. It's an astoudingly good political podcast and the way it shows how fucking awful the media in this country is just a breath of fresh air. I cannot recommend it enough.
How is it compared to On the Media?

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
In my experience on the media's message is more like, here's the way this specific story iand stories like it are being somewhat distorted by their presentation in the major publications. Where citations needed is a bit more expansive, with it asking you to adjust the framing for how you/media culture always view and process a particular issue.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Hey guys,
Sorry, this thread is kinda overwhelming.

Can you please recommend me some good podcasts in the categories of :

-true crime
-mystery and unexplained
-history of the 20th century

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys,

-true crime
-mystery and unexplained
The Bowery Boys, Hardcore History, Futility Closet, and The Memory Palace are some of my favorite history podcasts

If you haven't listen to it, Criminal is one of the best true crime podcasts around. Fascinating stories that often more varied than murders, disappearances, or unsolved cases

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just started working through the NYT's Rabbit Hole about how someone was slowly radicalised and then deradicalised on Youtube through Stefan Molyneux through Joe Rogan, Stephen Crowder and Gavin McGinnes and then back again through Destiny and Contrapoints, and most of it might not be news but it's really fascinating just seeing it all laid out like that. He gives them access to his entire youtube history, searches and all, and they can basically see all these inflection points where his behaviour changes. They also talk to Youtube engineers and higher ups.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Hey guys,

-true crime
-mystery and unexplained

The Red Web from Roosterteeth just started, topics are mostly weird unexplained internet and real world cases.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yall got any good narrative podcasts/audio dramas along the lines of The Magnus Archives, Sayer, King Falls AM, etc. to recommend? Something with strong atmosphere and mystery-thriller vibes. I'm also familiar with Black Tapes, I Am In Eskew, Wolf 359 (none of which really clicked during the first handful of episodes) and probably some others I can't remember right now. I was gonna start KFAM from the beginning last night, but saw that they're on hiatus and fans seem to suspect the show is dead, which kinda put a damper on that.

e: Nothing? I started TMA from the beginning last night and the sort of... Extreme self-seriousness of the main character's voice acting still makes me laugh. The stories are fun, though. I'll try to stick with it this time around. I think I got about 40 episodes in when I listened to it regularly.

Last edited: