• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ja2ke

Campo Santo
Nov 3, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'll give it a shot, thanks! Any other truecrime miniseries that have come out recently that you can recommend?
The film history podcast You Must Remember This did a series on the Manson Family a while back that is great. (Also that whole podcast is great but if you're looking for a we produced, weird true crime story, that season is a good starting point.)

Pilgore

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been giving multiple D&D podcasts a chance but I just can't get into them. I think it's because I usually listen to podcasts while I'm doing something else or I'm in bed and almost fall asleep while listening. The problem is that you can't really miss anything with D&D podcasts as you're very quickly lost about what the hell is going on, what the cast is doing, where they are, etc. Listening intently to a podcast with a story that I need to follow is something that's just not for me I think.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Drunk Safari - A humorous animal podcast from the people behind Let's Not Panic
True Crime Historian - A true crime series that pulls stories from 1800s-era news articles
The Katchup - An intriguing food podcast that explores topics like the history of Popeye's to the hectic day-to-day of Disneyland's Central Bakery

Educational

The Field Guides
Drunk Safari

Journalism
This Is Normal
Spain By Mike Randolph
Unmapped
Speaking Over The Mountains

True Crime
True Crime Historian

Gaming
The Cabinet

Audiodramas
Moya
Calais 2037

Humor
History In Hindsight

Current Events
Arab Tyrant Manual

Miscellaneous
Screw It, We're Just Gonna Talk About Spider-Man
The Firn Line
The Katchup

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Aren't there a few podcasts that feature people/comedians playing D&D? If so, any good? Recommendations would be cool because I think it could be interesting for background sound at work.

I listen to three:

The Adventure Zone - on their second campaign, doing a 'monster of the week' game that takes place in a creepy West Virginia rural town

latest

Critical Role - on their second campaign, classic d&d, amazing DM and cast save one awful castmember

critical_role___the_mighty_nein__speedpaint__by_abd_illustrates-dc5j4ms.png

Androids & Aliens - on their second podcast, playing Starfinder which is a rad sci fi version of Pathfinder

0c65fcf5af3d2f9a04dcb74383351106.jpg

all three are relatively new so it's very easy to jump in

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
I just want to say I'm done with LPOTL, the fact that Henry and Marcus are willing to promote #qanon is fucking disgusting and the same as supporting pizzagate.

If you are curious it's less than 5 minutes into the small episode they did on Art Bell.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
I listen to three:

The Adventure Zone - on their second campaign, doing a 'monster of the week' game that takes place in a creepy West Virginia rural town

Critical Role - on their second campaign, classic d&d, amazing DM and cast save one awful castmember

Androids & Aliens - on their second podcast, playing Starfinder which is a rad sci fi version of Pathfinder

all three are relatively new so it's very easy to jump in

Awesome, I'll have to check these out. Variety in setting is welcome, too.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
For legal podcasts, as a layman I'm really digging Mic Dicta. It's a newer, vaguely biweekly podcast featuring a semi regular panel of lawyers cracking jokes about legal-related current events (and especially Michael Cohen). Also, A+ interstitial music.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First Mondays is a good Supreme Court-focused pod. One of the hosts is a dork and mentioned going to PAX. They dig into some minutia but it's p accessible.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me find a podcast app to listen to the early Patreon archived Uhh Yeah Dude episodes? I am a patron, to be clear. I just can't figure out an app to access them easily without downloading one by one in a browser.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This might not be the place, but I've been trying to grow my podcast network and would love some feedback on the best ways to do that. Is it against the rules of the thread to share my network? If so I'll move along :)

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This might not be the place, but I've been trying to grow my podcast network and would love some feedback on the best ways to do that. Is it against the rules of the thread to share my network? If so I'll move along :)
Personally, I don't mind in this thread. I always enjoy learning about new series and networks, especially ones from forum members

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I don't mind in this thread. I always enjoy learning about new series and networks, especially ones from forum members
Awesome, thanks for allowing it! We took a lot of inspiration from Lasertime and Double Toasted as far as content and variety goes.

We're The ReBrew Network on iTunes, SoundCloud, wherever. Got a bunch of shows that cover a range of topics. In Game Drawl we make fun of video game stories, Soda Podinski is a soda rating show, Groans of Castamere is a jaded Game of Thrones fan show. We're about to get individual feeds for every show on Apple Podcasts and stuff, and right now we just have the one overarching feed. Our website is ReBrew.TV and that should be fully operational soon.

I'm just a big fan of podcasts and podcasting in general and would seriously love any criticism or suggestions.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paul Scheer (How Did This Get Made?, Hollywood actor) and Amy Nicholson (The Canon, film critic) have a couple episodes of Unspooled out. The premise is they're watching through (a selection of?) the AFI top 100 films. A ton of those are movies everyone's heard of but maybe never actually watched (Citizen Kane was ep 1). On both eps so far, Paul and Amy had an industry guest on to talk moviemaking after they talked about the film.

https://overcast.fm/+NEw5OIss0

Oct 27, 2017
Dinuba, CA
Paul Scheer (How Did This Get Made?, Hollywood actor) and Amy Nicholson (The Canon, film critic) have a couple episodes of Unspooled out. The premise is they're watching through (a selection of?) the AFI top 100 films. A ton of those are movies everyone's heard of but maybe never actually watched (Citizen Kane was ep 1). On both eps so far, Paul and Amy had an industry guest on to talk moviemaking after they talked about the film.

I'm gonna give it a listen this weekend. Thanks for the reminder!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

HDTGM was my first podcast love, but I will have to wait on this til I find time to watch these movies.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Pretentious Game Ideas - In-depth discussions with developers about aspects of game design, like pacing, simple systems, catch-up mechanics, power progression, and more
Clarkesworld Magazine Podcast - Quality science fiction and fantasy short stories
Drawn: The Story of Animation - A miniseries from HowStuffWorks and Cartoon Network diving into how animation is made

Educational
Last Stop To Nowhere
Medicine, Remixed
Accession
Let Me Google That

Science
I Need My Space

Journalism
30 For 30
Fault Lines

True Crime
Dear Franklin Jones

Gaming
Pretentious Game Ideas
Sound of Play
The Debug Log

Film/TV/Music
Drawn: The Story of Animation
Bad Science

Audiodramas
Clarkesworld Magazine Podcast
Ethernautica
The Hidden Almanac

Miscellaneous
Grief Cast
Versify

Last edited:

chrisremo

Jun 3, 2018
Are there any Podcasts on British Politics?

Yes, and I listen to many of them! Here are some:

General Politics Discussions:
Talking Politics
- Cambridge professor David Runciman hosts a rotating panel to discuss one issue a week in extremely deep detail. It is legitimately the best show I listen to across any topic, in part because the discussion is so wide-ranging, encompassing global (not just UK) politics and society in a way that is both extremely informed and quite humane. Runciman is amazingly intelligent but also very generous and plain-spoken. The episode "How Democracy Ends" (unusual in that it's a recording of a Runciman lecture rather than a studio panel recording) is one of the most essential podcasts episodes I've ever heard.
Westminster Hour (BBC Radio 4)
- BBC journalist Carolyn Quinn presents a buttoned-up but very wide-ranging roundup of news of the past week, accompanied by a panel of guests. This show tends to present a broader view of national politics than the very inside-Westminster tone of most of these other shows (ironically, given the name), and will often do segments on notable historical events or trends that are relevant due to current events or anniversaries, etc. It also has less of a specific party point of view than shows affiliated with a commercial media outlet.
Reasons to be Cheerful
- Former Labour Party leader Ed Milliband and broadcaster Geoff Lloyd pick a policy area each week and speak to experts in that field who are trying to make things better--i.e., homelessness, the generational wealth gap, education costs, etc. Despite dealing with seemingly intractable problems, they have people on with real ideas, which makes things seem less hopeless. A good and rare example of politics discussion that gets into the nitty gritty without being cynical.
FAVORITES: I like all of these for different reasons but Talking Politics is the best show I listen to of any kind

Newspaper-derived Politics Discussion:
The Guardian Politics Weekly (The Guardian)
- Rotating politics editors from left-leaning newspaper The Guardian conduct a panel of weekly news discussion with a variety of guests. Typically pretty straight-laced. Usually they focus on one or two main issues rather than doing a big blast of a lot of news.
Red Box Podcast (The Times)
- Matt Chorley of center-right newspaper The Times conducts a weekly roundup of news with Times journalists and occasionally other media and political figures. Generally an informed and frank discussion, and despite the Times' right-leaning politics, panelists are never opposed to criticizing the Tories.
The New Statesman Podcast (New Statesman)
- Editors Stephen Bush and Helen Lewis of the very left-leaning New Statesman newspaper run down the political news of the week. This is much more discursive and conversational than the previous two general politics podcasts, because these two have a strong longstanding rapport and they rarely have other guests on. They're incredibly insightful and well informed but can occasionally get a little rabbit-holey. (I already share their politics and so when they get too into being cheerleaders for that politics, it feels pointless.)
FT Politics (Financial Times)
- Sebastian Payne of the Financial Times is joined by a group of fellow FT journalists to discuss topics of the week, usually delving deep into two wide-ranging issues currently in the news, with a particular focus on the nitty gritty politics and policy.
FAVORITES: All of them but the Guardian's, which is good but dry

Interview Shows:
The Political Party (Matt Forde)
- A comedian and political junkie does a wide-ranging interview with a different leading political figure each week. Sometimes it's prefaced with live material from his ongoing political comedy standup act. Forde is clear about his own left-leaning politics but is an incredibly generous interviewer with all his guests spanning a wide range of political backgrounds.
Pienaar's Politics (BBC 5 Live)
- The BBC's John Pienaar goes over a few notable news topics from the past weeks with journalist guests as well as politicians brought on to be challenged on specific issues. Each week he also puts an MP through a series of questions for the relatively goofy Backbencher of the Week segment. It combines the wide range of a journalist-oriented weekly affairs show with the accountability of interviewing politicians directly.
Political Thinking with Nick Robinson (BBC Radio 4)
- Longtime political journalist Nick Robinson does a full show with one leading political figure each week. He's sometimes annoyingly confrontational but generally intelligent in his questioning and has a pretty wide range of people on.
FAVORITE: The Political Party

Brexit:
Brexitcast (BBC 5 Live)
- An in-depth but typically pretty lighthearted weekly discussion of Brexit news from a recurring crew of BBC journalists
Brexit Means... (The Guardian)
- A more sober weekly Brexit examination, involving expert guests brought on to discuss specific current events
FAVORITE: Brexitcast

Other:
Friday Night Comedy (BBC Radio 4)
- Political comedy that changes seasonally between several rotating shows. My favorite is The News Quiz, which just wrapped up its current series and is a roundup of the week's news presented in basically mock-quiz format and discussed by comedians and journalists. This feed also features satirical variety show The Now Show, impressions-oriented sketch show Dead Ringers, and something called The Museum of Curiosity that I usually skip.
Polling Matters (PoliticalBetting.com)
- Keiran Pedley runs a theoretically weekly (but often sporadic) show with a specific focus on discussion opinion polling that has come out. They go into the measure of each poll's methodology and how trustworthy they believe it to be. A very niche topic to be sure!
FAVORITE: Friday Night Comedy when The News Quiz is on

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any good podcast for game design and development?

Speaking ofchrisremo, you might get down with Tone Control or Designer Notes on the Idle Thumbs network for interviews with prominent and interesting developers. They tend to be a little high level or career retrospective-y, but there's some good design fundamentals and discussion on both.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I've been listening to Chris Shiflett's Walking the Floor podcast. Shiflett is the lead guitarist for Foo Fighters. He mostly interviews people in the country music scene, though there's some punk rockers in there as well. Interesting stuff!

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Are there good podcasts to learn about world (non-American) history? I've heard good things about Hardcore History, but don't you have to pay for the MP3s now? Weirdly, I won't listen to podcasts outside of a dedicated app, so that's a no for me.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Are there good podcasts to learn about world (non-American) history? I've heard good things about Hardcore History, but don't you have to pay for the MP3s now? Weirdly, I won't listen to podcasts outside of a dedicated app, so that's a no for me.
The recent ones are available for free. And Hardcore History is the best history podcast around, so I'd recommend checking it out

chrisremo

Jun 3, 2018

In Our Time is a great show about a massive range of topics spanning history, culture, science, philosophy, etc, but they make separate podcast feeds available for each category if you don't want the whole firehose. So you can just subscribe to the history feed if that's what interests you.

The Age of Napoleon is focused on one specific era of history (obviously) but is very good.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just listened to In the Dark season 2 episodes. Incredible depth of reporting different angles to the crime ... might be my favorite crime podcast - but Jesus Christ it gets my blood boiling how the revelations about of the blatant framing and mistrial of Curtis Flower, a black man, is not getting *any* traction in media.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
SKRIM - If you can't get enough Nordic noir, here's a Scandinavian true crime series
At The Intersection - Discussions about the intersection between politics and culture like film and sports, such as LGBTQ representation onscreen or the resonance of Black Panther
The Perfect Scam - A series about grifters, conman, scammers, and more
The Art of the Score - Deep dives into movie scores, from Raiders of the Lost Ark to Gladiator to There Will Be Blood

Educational
The Weirdest Thing I Learned This Week
History Is Sexy
The Great Composers

Science
Branch Out

Journalism
At The Intersection
Welcome To LA
Pockets Full Of Soup
Curtain
The Assassination

True Crime
The Perfect Scam
SKRIM

Gaming
Clockwork Game Design
The Frame Savers

Film/TV/Music
The Art of the Score
Show Me The Meaning
Song Salad
The Churn
Sup Doc

Audiodramas
Sandra
Creepy

Humor
Amazon Book Club

Current Events
Covert
Aftermath
Displaced

Miscellaneous
On Margins
Salt & Spine
Trader Joe's (Inside)
Framework Radio

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Bubble - Maximum Fun's charming and hilarious monster-hunting audiodrama
A Momentary Pause - Interviews with developers behind interactive art projects and experimental games
Murdertown - Another funny true crime satire audiodrama

Educational
Failed Architecture

Journalism
I Got The Hell Out
Medium's Playback

True Crime
Cover-up

Gaming
Abject Suffering
Moving Pixels
Experience Points
NOCLIP [Not that NoClip]
A Momentary Pause
Game Maker's Notebook

Film/TV/Music
Inside Jaws

Audiodramas
Dark Ages
Stories To Tell In The Middle Of The Night

Humor
Bubble
Murdertown

Current Events
Tear It Down
After The Fact

Miscellaneous
Let's Not Meet
The Windsor Knot

Last edited:

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to let everyone know that Dr Gameshow with Jo Firestone and Manolo is the most fun a podcast can be. Each episode has comedian guests playing games that listeners submit to the show. Listeners can also call in during recording to play against the guests and if the caller wins, they get a custom magnet sent to their home!. Most of the games are nonsense and it almost always breaks down into absurdity in the best possible way. More people need to hear it!

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Dyking Out is my absolute favorite podcast right now.
It's two lesbian women covering a wide range of topics each week with a different guest (mostly LGBTQ+ comedians).

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I've been listening to a bunch of Unresolved the last few weeks. It's a true crimes podcast about unsolved murders and what not. However im pretty much caught up on it. Any other suggestions?

Im driving down to TX for vacation, and could use some stuff to listen to on the way, and since my girlfriend is in the car Im not going to make her listen to my usual nerd podcast.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
Hello Reseters!

Just wanted to let you know Jeff Cannata asked me to be a guest on his podcast (DLC) and the episode is now live! Woo hoo! If you're not a subscriber, you can listen to it here:

http://5by5.tv/dlc/243

I haven't recorded a podcast in quite a while and just had a blast with these guys.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

cabot

Oct 25, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
anyone got any recommendations for good UK-focused podcasts for Tech, Science, Games, TV and Film?

podcasts I enjoyed in the past were eurogamer, Guardian Tech Weekly, CNET UK, Kermode & Mayo....

(I stole some of chrisremo's political recommendations, cheers buddy)

this is a great thread.