• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see you bring PodcastEra to Reset.

I'll kick off discussions: everyone loves The Adventure Zone, right?

logo.png

God, I love the new logo. I'll definitely check out Cthulhu and Friends.

Also, I'm hoping whoever started the McElroy thread in the before times starts one here too.

archnemesis

Oct 26, 2017
What's the best free podcast app for Android? Is it worth spending a few bucks on one of the paid apps?

MrTowel

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else listening to the new podcast with the host of Snap Judgement about Heaven's Gate? It's pretty interesting so far.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see you bring PodcastEra to Reset.

I'll kick off discussions: everyone loves The Adventure Zone, right?

logo.png
I'm sad to say that TAZ has lost its magic for me. I really enjoyed most of their first campaign, but they started taking themselves and their characters very seriously, and it made the overall tone very strange.

I'm intrigued by these one shots they are doing, especially when I noticed they are using an online dice roller in which they ostensibly can't fake their rolls. That always rubbed me the wrong way too. "It's better for the drama if I just succeed here." Um, not really, and why are they playing a game again?

Love their new logo and art, though. The old one was honestly kind of wack, lol.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone looking for strictly leftist podcasts.

The Discourse Collective - Leftist culture and politics podcast. Current events, historical readings, Marxist analysis of TV and cinema.

Citations Needed - Not to be confused with "Citation Needed". News and media criticism. Among the best I've ever listened to.

Economic Update with Richard D. Wolff - The famous Marxian economist goes over various economic issues from the news every week. Often analyzes current events from an economics perspective.

Struggle Session - Newer comedy/culture podcast with leftist nerds discussing their favorite problematic media. That is to say: most of it. Comics, games, TV, film.

Season of the Bitch - A newer all female leftist podcast. Really coming into its own.

HEAVYxMEDICAL - Two medical policy and law grad students discussing healthcare policy along with brief segments on lesser known metal music (strictly non-fascisty). Really really enlightening, sifts through all the policy wonkery and will really make you hate the US health insurance system even more.

Best of the Left - Weekly wrap up of highlights from leftist and progressive liberal media every week.

There's more on my feed, but I gotta get back to work.

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed they are using an online dice roller in which they ostensibly can't fake their rolls. That always rubbed me the wrong way too. "It's better for the drama if I just succeed here." Um, not really, and why are they playing a game again?

I dunno, the opposite gets a little tiring as well. I've been listening to Friends at the Table, which uses a lot of 2d6 systems and they only succeed on like 5% of their rolls.

It can lead to interesting unintended situations, sure, but when you get six failures in a row it's tough to listen to.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP, information overload but hopefully you guys can recommend me some. I listen to the following:

-Star Talk
-How Stuff Works/Stuff You Should Know
-Hardcore History
-Freakonomics

Would love suggestions for political/history/future/science podcasts

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, the opposite gets a little tiring as well. I've been listening to Friends at the Table, which uses a lot of 2d6 systems and they only succeed on like 5% of their rolls.

It can lead to interesting unintended situations, sure, but when you get six failures in a row it's tough to listen to.
Sure, but they literally never fail at anything on TAZ. Suggesting that it needs to be one extreme or another is a little disingenuous. There's a middle ground.

Failures give a lot of chances for improvisation and comedy, which is more in their wheelhouse than scripted long form fiction, and also what the show started to lack more and more as it went on. In my opinion, at least.

ZetaEpyon

Oct 25, 2017
I've been enjoying CritJuice for a long time - D&D with actual comedians and a great DM. They run it as a Twitch stream now, but still publish podcasts after each session.

More recently, I've been following Achievement Oriented on The Ringer for gaming perspectives. It's less heavy on breaking news and things like that but they frequently have interviews with interesting industry people and such.

Last edited:

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Aw yiss podcast thread. Listen to a lot of what's listed above, and recently started listening to some spoopy podcasts for Halloween. Spooked by Snap Judgement has been a fun listen(hoping it will get a 2nd season). Also Knifepoint Horror is a great fiction podcast that's kinda under he radar(mostly because he doesn't update that consistently). Always looking for new recommendations though I like to binge shows at work.

Just gotta say that that I started to listening to Spooked and the portrait in the bar story was creepy as hell. A must listen for horror/paranormal fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but they literally never fail at anything on TAZ. Suggesting that it needs to be one extreme or another is a little disingenuous. There's a middle ground.

Failures give a lot of chances for improvisation and comedy, which is more in their wheelhouse than scripted long form fiction, and also what the show started to lack more and more as it went on. In my opinion, at least.

Yeah, only Clint ever really fails at a roll.

Anyway, I thought his GM-ing was better than I'd gone in expecting it to be, and I'm still pretty excited to see where Justin goes with his Too Many Sherlocks game.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks OP, information overload but hopefully you guys can recommend me some. I listen to the following:

-Star Talk
-How Stuff Works/Stuff You Should Know
-Hardcore History
-Freakonomics

Would love suggestions for political/history/future/science podcasts
For history:
The Memory Palace
The Scientific Odyssey (also for science)
Historium
Medieval Death Trip
The Land of Desire
The Bowery Boys
Trailblazers
The Feast
The First

For future and science:
WSJ's The Future of Everything
.future
TED Talks (audio)
Cosmic Vertigo
Scientists not the science
Linear Digressions

IMO, The Memory Palace is the best history podcast after Hardcore History. Maybe not even after, but complementary to. Where Dan Carlin is massive audiobook on a period, Nate Dimeo is like an espresso shot of history, a well-told, well-detailed, and fascinating snapshot of a person, or moment, or event, and so on. And as just as good a storyteller as Dan. I could listen to Dimeo and Carlin talk about anything

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For history:
The Memory Palace
The Scientific Odyssey (also for science)
Historium
Medieval Death Trip
The Land of Desire
The Bowery Boys
Trailblazers
The Feast
The First

For future and science:
WSJ's The Future of Everything
.future
TED Talks (audio)
Cosmic Vertigo
Scientists not the science
Linear Digressions

IMO, The Memory Palace is the best history podcast after Hardcore History. Maybe not even after, but complementary to. Where Dan Carlin is a massive exposes on a period, Nate Dimeo is like an espresso shot of history, a well-told, well-detailed, and fascinating snapshot of a person, or moment, or event, and so on. And as just as good a storyteller as Dan. I could listen to Dimeo and Carlin talk about anything

Ayyyy ok thanks! Excited for my commute home now

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I'm definitely going to browse this thread.

I listen to The Daily from NYT every morning on my way to work, it's a great bite-sized podcast on recent events that has some pretty great interviews and things.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, only Clint ever really fails at a roll.

Anyway, I thought his GM-ing was better than I'd gone in expecting it to be, and I'm still pretty excited to see where Justin goes with his Too Many Sherlocks game.
I'm interested in that one too. Making a straight up mystery game with a bunch of detectives sounds difficult to pull off, so I'm sure he's planning a lot.

Griffin's Twin Peaks and Persona crossover in a Pacific Northwest resort town also sounds specifically made for me, so I want to check that out too.

Hpper

Oct 25, 2017
I know sports podcasts aren't in that list, but certain sports podcasts are so good that I feel like there really should be a category for it.

Lowe Post - fantastic podcast in general, although a little basketball focused
Bill Simmons Podcast - generally sports focused, but also still typically funny/entertaining

Road Trippin' - I don't really care if you're an NBA fan, this podcast is fantastic. Hosted by Channing Frye, previous Richard Jefferson before he left the Cavs, and Allie Clifton, this is about as personable and close you get when it comes to NBA stars. So fucking funny. Richard being gone sucks, hopefully there's a Road Trippin' Denver edition or something (having Nikola Jokic tell stories of the 2 liters of Pepsi per day he drank)

Dun'd On Podcast - this is way more in-depth than any of the others. Would only recommend to hard-core NBA fans.

The Chronicles of Redick - hosted by NBA player J.J. Redick. As another NBA player, who has had time to work out the whole podcast thing, he's become great at interviewing other players, coaches, journalists, etc. People across the NBA, basically.

Oh, and while I don't really care for how The Ringer University combines all college sports, if the College Basketball "podcast" of that podcast, T'ed Up, with hosts Mark Titus and Tate Frazier, is really great and funny. The two hosts have great chemistry.

If you still are looking for more, the NBA Ringer Show is just underneath those others.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What's the best free podcast app for Android? Is it worth spending a few bucks on one of the paid apps?

Podcast Republic has a small un-intrusive ad. Couple bucks for ad-free.

It's seriously the only app that can handle 20+ podcasts. I've tried Castbox, Player.fm, Podcast Addict, and Podbean to name a few and none have the features that Podcast Republic does.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
It's really hard keeping up with podcasts but thankfully I have a long commute to work. Currently listening to Last Podcast on the Left, How Did This Get Made, The Adventure Zone, and many NFL podcasts.

I take it if I'm a fan of The Adventure Zone, I should listen to MBMBAM? Is it a podcast where I could jump into the current episodes and not be lost?

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Podcast Republic has a small un-intrusive ad. Couple bucks for ad-free.

It's seriously the only app that can handle 20+ podcasts. I've tried Castbox, Player.fm, Podcast Addict, and Podbean to name a few and none have the features that Podcast Republic does.
How so? What makes it good for a lot of podcast subscriptions?

Because...I'm subscribed to 496

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's really hard keeping up with podcasts but thankfully I have a long commute to work. Currently listening to Last Podcast on the Left, How Did This Get Made, The Adventure Zone, and many NFL podcasts.

I take it if I'm a fan of The Adventure Zone, I should listen to MBMBAM? Is it a podcast where I could jump into the current episodes and not be lost?
MBMBAM isn't story driven or anything, so no need to worry about that

To get an idea, I'd recommend checking out episodes 161, 173, 201, and 245. Those are highlight episodes that curate the best moments from early episodes, so you get a nice spreadshot of moments to see if you like the series. Ideally, if you do, I'd recommend starting from the first episode, mainly because hearing the show develop, the inside jokes and callbacks, and such is as much as part of the enjoyment as the questions and humor. But you can also just listen from the most recent and work backwards

Last edited:

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of good recommendations in here, and I'm not going to repeat any of the ones that I already listen to and like. But one that hasn't been mentioned is Ear Hustle. It's a podcast that tells about life in San Quentin prison. Narrated by one of the inmates, he and a journalist interview other inmates to get their perspective on a variety of topics. Like conjugal visits, what it's like to come up for parole, how to make friends, how the yard is divided, what it's like when the prison is locked down, what the food is really like, etc. If you like those prison reality shows like Locked Up this will be right up your alley.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know sports podcasts aren't in that list, but certain sports podcasts are so good that I feel like there really should be a category for it.

Lowe Post - fantastic podcast in general, although a little basketball focused
Bill Simmons Podcast - generally sports focused, but also still typically funny/entertaining

Road Trippin' - I don't really care if you're an NBA fan, this podcast is fantastic. Hosted by Channing Frye, previous Richard Jefferson before he left the Cavs, and Allie Clifton, this is about as personable and close you get when it comes to NBA stars. So fucking funny. Richard being gone sucks, hopefully there's a Road Trippin' Denver edition or something (having Nikola Jokic tell stories of the 2 liters of Pepsi per day he drank)

Dun'd On Podcast - this is way more in-depth than any of the others. Would only recommend to hard-core NBA fans.

The Chronicles of Redick - hosted by NBA player J.J. Redick. As another NBA player, who has had time to work out the whole podcast thing, he's become great at interviewing other players, coaches, journalists, etc. People across the NBA, basically.

Oh, and while I don't really care for how The Ringer University combines all college sports, if the College Basketball "podcast" of that podcast, T'ed Up, with hosts Mark Titus and Tate Frazier, is really great and funny. The two hosts have great chemistry.

If you still are looking for more, the NBA Ringer Show is just underneath those others.
imma ignore how I posted two of those lol

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
MBMBAM isn't story driven or anything, so need to worry about that

To get an idea, I'd recommend checking out episodes 161, 173, 201, and 245. Those are highlight episodes that curate the best moments from early episodes, so you get a nice spreadshot of moments to see if you like the series. Ideally, if you do, I'd recommend starting from the first episode, mainly because hearing the show develop, the inside jokes and callbacks, and such is as much as part of the enjoyment as the questions and humor. But you can also just listen from the most recent and work backwards

Thank you for the list. I'll queue these up and give them a listen this week.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
RadioLab has brought back More Perfect, the spin-off focused on the Constitution and the courts, with some great episodes on the Dred Scott (slavery) and Korematsu (Japanese internment camps) decisions, as well as the rise of gun control legislation (to disarm the Black Panthers).

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of which, Podcast Addict for Android is by far the best podcast app I've tried out.

And yeah, Lowe Post is still fantastic. Lowe is still the best journo in the business.
I love reading his work, just stopped listening to the pod. I got Duncan for that now. And like a hundred normal people willing to say wild shit lmao

Hpper

Oct 25, 2017
I love reading his work, just stopped listening to the pod. I got Duncan for that now. And like a hundred normal people willing to say wild shit lmao
Duncan has a great ability to analyze the NBA, and various strategies, but I prefer Lowe because he seems to watch more film, have the most balanced mix of personality, eye test, and analytics. I think Duncan does, to some extent, suffer from having a certain view of NBA playstyles and not being entirely flexible with it.

Plus, Lowe often drops things he's heard from executives out of nowhere that can seriously expand your understanding of what just happened.

Can't really go wrong with either though.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duncan has a great ability to analyze the NBA, and various strategies, but I prefer Lowe because he seems to watch more film, have the most balanced mix of personality, eye test, and analytics. I think Duncan does, to some extent, suffer from having a certain view of NBA playstyles and not being entirely flexible with it.

Plus, Lowe often drops things he's heard from executives out of nowhere that can seriously expand your understanding of what just happened.

Can't really go wrong with either though.
I do love/hate how Nate wil just not allow Danny to speak sometimes