• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Uncanny County got a bit too campy for my tastes, but it does have a TZ-esque style and vibe to it. Would recommend it as well
i definitely had a poor first-impression from the slightly campy style at first, but i'm liking it way more than i expected to. I figured it was best to give the most TZ answer possible than to scream "LISTEN TO THE MAGNUS ARCHIVES ALL OTHER PODCASTS ARE FILLER TO EASE THE PAIN OF WAITING FOR NEW EPISODES OF MAGNUS."

i might turn into the crazy dude who shoehorns TMA into every thread but I'm try to resist the transition.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I made it over!

Oh man, this thread's awesome. GREAT job.

I've been listening to Heaven's Gate, too. He keeps presenting them like "you'd fall for it, too" and I'm like "I'm not so sure about that but I'll take your word for it."

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
The Atlantic has a podcast published every Friday called Radio Atlantic. It's great for those who frequent the site as they often expand on their most popular articles.

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone's interested in a food podcast, might I recommend Spilled Milk. It's about two married (but not to each other) friends who talk about a different food the listener cant eat each week...or go on a tangent on about popping popcorn in Dennis Quaid

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Holy crap this is a good resource. I've been getting into podcasts more and more lately beyond just comedy interviews haha. Been sucked into Reply All quite a bit, but keen to check out recommendations from this thread

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I love horror and audiodrama podcasts, my personal favorites include:
  • The no sleep podcast
  • The black tapes
  • Tanis
  • Rabbits
  • We are alive
  • The lore
  • Scary misteries
  • Irrational fears

Try Cthlhu & Friends - I think each season is a The Adventure Zone style arc, but it takes place in a Lovecraftian horror setting. Season 4, Episode 1 is apparently a good jumping on point but I am starting from S1 and it's great.

It's really hard keeping up with podcasts but thankfully I have a long commute to work. Currently listening to Last Podcast on the Left, How Did This Get Made, The Adventure Zone, and many NFL podcasts.

I take it if I'm a fan of The Adventure Zone, I should listen to MBMBAM? Is it a podcast where I could jump into the current episodes and not be lost?

They made 'best of' MBMBAM episodes called 'Better Bros Best' or similar. Find the first one (contains 'best of' episodes from 1-20, then one from 21-40, etc).

Or if you want more of the Adventure side of TAZ (actual play rpg):

Friends at the Table - COUNTER/Weight
Cthlhu & Friends

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Script Lock - Interviews with various game writers and developers, focused on storytelling, narrative and writing and how they intersect with game design
60-Second Science - Micro-summaries of scientific articles and interviews on relevant topics
On The Line - A podcast talking with wildland firefighters
Sun Crime State - True crime stories unique to Florida

Educational
Why We Eat What We Eat
Jaws of Defeat
Samurai Archives
The History of Poland

Science
60-Second Science

Journalism
On The Line

True Crime
Sun Crime State
Small Town Dicks
Christian Underhistory

Gaming
Script Lock
Art & Craft
Podcast In Space

Audiodramas
Rendition
Unplaced

Humor
Inbox

Miscellaneous
Sickboy

DanTheMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a weekly gaming podcast I watch on YT every Thursday night (9pm EST) called SuperDeformedGamesCast or SDGC for short. They talk about video games with no BS. But be prepared for the hot dumpster fire it is though (:P) We sometimes have guests like last week we had the Father of Xbox Seamus on, and tonight we're going to have Mat pisticella to discuss NPD. I think they're all on ResetEra as well, which we will also be talking about

There's another one on Wednesday called NOLANerdcast which is more diverse with Comics, Movies and Video Games. Don't exactly remember the time it starts though

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the font on APple's official podcast app super big now?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Over the past few years I've really gotten into (mostly) really well put together interview podcasts. My three favourites are How To Be Amazing with Michael Ian Black, the Adam Buxton podcast and Hannibal Burress' Handsome Rambler.

The former two are both really well produced, and feature a really interesting range of guests (Buxton's might be a little Brit-centric, although he just interviewed Bill Burr in his latest), and The Handsome Rambler is just really good fun and the different guests keep it from getting at all stale it predictable.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I love horror and audiodrama podcasts, my personal favorites include:
  • The no sleep podcast
  • The black tapes
  • Tanis
  • Rabbits
  • We are alive
  • The lore
  • Scary misteries
  • Irrational fears

have you tried the magnus archives? i've been addicted to horror podcasts for a solid year now and it's been my favorite.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I'm subscribed to besides Pod Save America & Song Exploder at the moment (which were already mentioned in the original post).

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard- Pro Wrestling History. Vince McMahon's former right hand man Bruce Prichard (Brother Love) telling what really happened behind the scenes. They pick a topic each week and go into great detail (a PPV like Wrestlemania IX, a wrestler like "Macho Man" Randy Savage
or big storyline like the NWO in the WWE), with co-host Conrad Thompson giving the stories that "smark" fans heard online/reported in Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer newsletter & calling Bruce out when he gives company-line answers. Plenty of impressions & hilarious stories. Highest recommendation if you're a big wrasslin' fan.

Steve Austin Show/Steve Austin Show Unleashed - "Stone Cold" Steve Austin shoots the breeze and interviews guests. Pro-wrestling, MMA fighters, powerlifters/bodybuilders, some movie/stunt folks too. I like his wrestling shows the best but he's good interviewer.

KEXP Song of the Day- New song each weekday. Pretty eclectic mix of stuff

malrock

Oct 26, 2017
North Carolina
I find myself listening to podcasts more than I do any other form of entertainment. The nice thing is being able to listen to them while doing other things, ala playing damn Destiny 2. Anyway head's up, on the My Favorite Murder podcast (one of my obessions along with Teen Creeps, Lore & Criminal) they just mentioned a new podcast that sounds super interesting. It's called "Heaven's Gate" and it chronicles the 90's cult. It currently sits at two episodes and I look forward to giving it a listen

MrTowel

Oct 25, 2017
Just noticed that Check, Please artist/writer Ngozi Ukazu is the guest on Puck Soup this week, should be an interesting episode.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Do y'all want the fictional podcasts OT back?
Yes absolutely! If no one else was going to, I was thinking about it, but i see you already claimed it in the OT OT thread, so now I got that theoretical burden off my back.

Also subbing to this thread. I listen to far far far too many podcasts. I need to be more liberal about dropping them. ):

concrete1992

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I'm a bum cause most the podcast I listen to end up being game related. Bombcast, Beastcast, Waypoint, Idle Thumbs, GWJ, ect. Just started listening to The Dollop though and that's so so good. Real hilarious. Always looking for new recommendations though and this is looking like an AWESOME thread.

I work in podcast ads so it is always cool to see what people listen to in different communities.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
i just started uncanny county today. it's kind of got some TZ vibes. bizarre spec-fic with spooky sensibilities.

Thank you! I'll give it a try. I'm always in for some spooky and/or creepy audio drama. I'm still hoping that something like Limetown gets produced again.

i definitely had a poor first-impression from the slightly campy style at first, but i'm liking it way more than i expected to. I figured it was best to give the most TZ answer possible than to scream "LISTEN TO THE MAGNUS ARCHIVES ALL OTHER PODCASTS ARE FILLER TO EASE THE PAIN OF WAITING FOR NEW EPISODES OF MAGNUS."

i might turn into the crazy dude who shoehorns TMA into every thread but I'm try to resist the transition.

I dropped out of TMA during the break between S1 and S2. It got a little incoherent for me in the last couple of episodes. Does it pick up again with Season 2?

I wish I was still into the PNWS podcasts, but both shows kinda jumped the shark and the suspense of disbelief was too much. Never liked that Nic on TBT acted like Tanis didn't happen, either. Really annoying because I like the concept of both shows.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I dropped out of TMA during the break between S1 and S2. It got a little incoherent for me in the last couple of episodes. Does it pick up again with Season 2?

I wish I was still into the PNWS podcasts, but both shows kinda jumped the shark and the suspense of disbelief was too much. Never liked that Nic on TBT acted like Tanis didn't happen, either. Really annoying because I like the concept of both shows.

I loved the ending of season one so you cannot rely upon my opinions of the show.
If you're saying you disliked the
live recording of an event
episode, the I can say that didn't become normal- nearly all episodes are still dominated by the archivist just reading the statement of the week, though metaplots are still developing.

Tanner

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, once I started doing my own podcast I started listening to podcast a little less frequently (also due to school too I guess). Big fan of Bombcast and Beastcast when I get the chance I usually make the time for a wrestling podcast a week, usually rotating between We Don't Know Wrestling and Wrestling On Air which are the two best wrestling podcasts out there atm.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Yo I was so excited to see this get made here. Thanks for all your hard work! Also happy to see my show still on the list!

malyse

Community Resetter
Pls give OT so I can spew off wordstuffs about a podcast
Not until I get my indie list.

hqdefault.jpg

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I've been enjoying Why Oh Why a lot. It's a dating podcast that tackles all kinds of modern dating topics such as ghosting, opinions on who should pay on dates, etc. I would highly recommend it to anyone who's single or dating.

I think I might pay up and switch over to Pocketcasts from Podcast Addict. For some odd reason none of Giant Bomb's RSS feeds aren't working as I got this error message:

Doesn't look like a valid RSS feed...Content type: null

It also happened whem I subscribed to Beatutfil Anonymous. Did anyone else get this error? I'm curious as to how to fix it.

MadAboutEwe

Oct 27, 2017
I love my podcasts, and have lots of views. I'm really struggling for time these days, so I've had to cull my podcast subs right down, but even then I'm about a month behind.

Religiously and to completion:
PTI & Around the Horn for sports news, although ive had about as much as I can take of Sara Spain so ATH may slip into one of the categories below.
Lovett or Leave It for political satire and debate
Pod Save the World for foreign policy talk. It's so good.

Religiously but not to completion:
Pod Save the World - I'll listen for the first half but they are really starting to repeat their guests now, including the hosts of the other podcasts on their network. Nothing against Deray McKesson and Anna Marie Cox, but if I wanted to listen to them, I'd listen to their podcast.
IGN Xbox Unlocked - I fast forward through all the crap at the beginning where the hosts talk about themselves (and Ryan and his fucking dog, eyeroll) but the actual Xbox talk is great.

Religiously...unless...:
Kermode and Mayo Film Review - unless they're off and they have replacement hosts filling in.
Adam Carolla Show - Unless Vinny Tortorich is on. I'm not alone in holding that view. But it can't be stressed enough. I didn't miss a single episode for 5 years, but it's definitely skewing further and further to the right, and when I could see the guests were Bill O'Reilly and Vinny on the same episode, it's the first time I'd deleted an episode without playing it.

Pick and Choose:
Bill Simmons Podcast - Depending on the guest. I don't tune in for Bill anymore, he's lost more than a little off his fast ball, but he's managed to get some good guests. He's lost his voice of the fans schtick and prefers to pitch himself at the level of the Silicon Valley types that he's now fascinated with, having one on every week. I have no interest in the views of his dad, or his friends. As I said, I'm a month behind so I'm skipping the "guess the lines" episodes, but I would listen if I was up to date.

One-Off's
Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder - Season 1 only. Fascinating story, if not dragged out a bit. All of Season 2 is a rather cynical vehicle to plug the book he wrote based on everything you heard in Season 1.
Serial - Obvious one. Season 1 was so good. Season 2 was so dull. As was S-Town. Will give Season 3 a try to make amends.

The 30 for 30 podcasts started out well but the original content dried up very quickly and now it's just one long Mini ad with interviews with directors of the TV docs. No thanks.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
So much content totally lost where to start.

Looking to try a podcast out when im running to take my mind off the monotony - have a quite eclectic taste sports, science, gaming, etc, etc...

Anyone suggest a must listen to cast just to get started.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So much content totally lost where to start.

Looking to try a podcast out when im running to take my mind off the monotony - have a quite eclectic taste sports, science, gaming, etc, etc...

Anyone suggest a must listen to cast just to get started.
That's going to need some refining. Any particular area of science or type of gaming discussion? More gaming news or more specific game/game design discussion, etc?

For games, posted this in another thread

The Short Game - Focused on games that can be completed in a few hours or days, mostly indie games across PC, consoles, and mobile
Final Games - Developers and journalists (guests have included Jason Schreier, Max Tempkin, and William Pugh) discuss their desert island games
Script Lock - A series of interviews with various writers and developers, focused on narrative and writing, and how they intersect with game design
Headshots - Discussion on the psychology of gaming and recent gaming news
Checkpoint - Interviews with developers (ie Rami Ismail, Bennett Foddy, and Chris Remo) about the games that have inspired them and had impacts on their lives.
History Respawned - Focuses on exploring the historical context and accuracy of history-related games like AC, Mafia, and more
Cane and Rinse - Each episode looks at a single game, from a wide spectrum of classic, recent AAA, and indie titles
Roguelike Radio - In-depth discussion and analysis of roguelikes, roguelites, and roguelike mechanics

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
HP_Wuvcraft glad to see you around here, nerd. I'm following this thread too. Excited for what we might find here!

I keep seeing ads for the Lore podcast. Can anyone tell me how it is/if it's worth listening to? :)
Pretty cool how Lore got so huge. Although it getting a show just makes me want to see Magnus Archives get an adaption too

Lore is basically a blend of history and folklore/folktales; the host explores different tales from the past that connect to various urban legends and supernatural beliefs. It's pretty good, although the host's style might be an acquired taste

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If anyone is interested my company produced a podcast that interviews vc's on getting startup funding. Lots of gems: listen here

Also looking to network with anyone into producing podcasts in general.

titch

Oct 25, 2017
That's going to need some refining. Any particular area of science or type of gaming discussion? More gaming news or more specific game/game design discussion, etc?

For games, posted this in another thread

The Short Game - Focused on games that can be completed in a few hours or days, mostly indie games across PC, consoles, and mobile
Final Games - Developers and journalists (guests have included Jason Schreier, Max Tempkin, and William Pugh) discuss their desert island games
Script Lock - A series of interviews with various writers and developers, focused on narrative and writing, and how they intersect with game design
Headshots - Discussion on the psychology of gaming and recent gaming news
Checkpoint - Interviews with developers (ie Rami Ismail, Bennett Foddy, and Chris Remo) about the games that have inspired them and had impacts on their lives.
History Respawned - Focuses on exploring the historical context and accuracy of history-related games like AC, Mafia, and more
Cane and Rinse - Each episode looks at a single game, from a wide spectrum of classic, recent AAA, and indie titles
Roguelike Radio - In-depth discussion and analysis of roguelikes, roguelites, and roguelike mechanics

Cheers More_Badass - some of the links look really worth a dip - As a frequent reader of Toma's threads and your content im always a fan of indies - especially anything beginning with rogue... or metrovan...

I think the science side of things is more difficult to be specific as again its more anything that peaks my interest - whether its as big as universe or going as small as we currently can go. I watched a wide variety of tedx ytubes and then looked back on the history and thought how have i jumped from that subject to that. I guess with my training anything the talks about sports science/psychology/motivation would be another genre.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been really enjoying Canadian True Crime and Nighttime Podcast.

Also for anyone into Gwent, Commanders Horn is really well done.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I watched a wide variety of tedx ytubes and then looked back on the history and thought how have i jumped from that subject to that. I guess with my training anything the talks about sports science/psychology/motivation would be another genre.
For psychology, I'd recommend starting out with Invisibilia or Psychtech. For genral history podcasts, check out Hardcore History and The Memory Palace

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the process of producing an audio drama. Would love some suggestions on what you guys feel are the best ones currently out. Mines will be an urban Sci fi thriller. Think x files meets the wire.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the process of producing an audio drama. Would love some suggestions on what you guys feel are the best ones currently out. Mines will be an urban Sci fi thriller. Think x files meets the wire.
My picks would be The Magnus Archives, Sayer, Fairy Tales For Unwanted Children, The Bright Sessions, Within The Wires, Tumanbay, and Twilight Histories

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread.

I've listened to a few epsiodes of Lore and I'm not 100% sure I'm into where he sometimes takes it. I like a historical/accurate look at various myths and supernatural beings (the vampire one was great). The host sometimes seems to stop at the supernatural explanation, like that actually accounts for the mystery of whatever happened... might try a few more eps