• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Battle Scars - A series talking to returning vets about their desperate moments and struggles
Physical Attraction - A light-hearted informative series about physics, complete with cheesy puns
Looted - An art/artifact history podcast that explores the topic from the context of fakes and smuggling

Educational

Flash Point History
The Podcast of Doom
The Ancient World
Looted

Science
Physical Attraction
Methods

Journalism
Battle Scars
Slow Radio

True Crime
You Must Remember Manson
Bless This Mess

Audiodramas
Children of Heaven & Earth

Humor
We're No Doctors

Miscellaneous
The Organist
Haunted
The Caving Podcast

Last edited:

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best app for Android? Google play is missing a lot of big cast.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I just discovered "Missing Richard Simmons" and "Heaven's Gate", thanks to the guys on "How Things Work" talking about HG recently. Can you guys recommend anything close to how those two shows were put together. They blew me away, but especially MRS.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I just discovered "Missing Richard Simmons" and "Heaven's Gate", thanks to the guys on "How Things Work" talking about HG recently. Can you guys recommend anything close to how those two shows were put together. They blew me away, but especially MRS.
Do you mean content wise (true crime/investigation) or quality wise (ie well-put-together miniseries)?

For great miniseries, I'd recommend
- Hardcore History (split into contained miniseries)
- You Must Remember This (miniseries and one-off episodes)
- Scapegoat Cities (a miniseries)

For true crime/investigation/journalism
- Dirty John
- Awful Grace
- Stranglers
- This Is Actually Happening

Last edited:

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
MZevYip.png

Raised by TV

I'm loving this podcast currently.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you guys have dropped it from your feed already, but Crimetown actually dropped a new episode today.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know if Crimetown was meant to be a miniseries or will there be another season?
I think they did announce a while back that they are working on another season. Given the amount of research it took for the first season, though, I'm assuming it'll be some time before we get that.

It's cool that they're still releasing things here and there, though.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Think of a Best Podcasts of 2017 voting thread would work here?

I think it might be best to do it instead as Best Podcast Discoveries of 2017, rather than limiting merely to just podcasts that started in 2017. Could highlight entire series or just the episodes that stuck with you, during your 2017 listening

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Time released its best podcasts of 2017 list
  • Still Processing
  • Nancy
  • The Daily
  • Reply All
  • Dear Sugars
  • Larry Wilmore: Black on the Air
  • More Perfect
  • 2 Dope Queens
  • S-Town
  • Binge Mode: Game of Thrones
Esquire as well
  • Pod Save America
  • S-Town
  • Nancy
  • Terrible, Thanks For Asking
  • The Daily
  • Crimetown
  • Missing Richard Simmons
  • Up & Vanished
  • Homecoming
  • Las Culturistas
  • Why Oh Why
  • Ctrl Alt Delete
  • Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty
  • It's Been A Minute
  • Presidential
  • Sincerely, X
  • The Nod
  • Dirty John
  • The Heart

Last edited:

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to a few episodes of We Got This and I can't even remember the last time I was this disappointed in something.

The premise is that the hosts pick some mundane argument (Cake or pie! Which way is a toilet roll supposed to go!) and argue it out in an effort to find the actual "correct" opinion. That sounded amazing to me. Trying to come up with solid objective arguments for fairly dumb conflicts sounds fun! And it's very easy to make this podcast funny -- taking some dumb argument completely seriously and presenting it as a serious debate would automatically make the show hilarious to me.

Instead of any of that, the actual show seems to just be about vaguely talking about the question, and then giving the answer the hosts already thought was right before they even started recording. No arguments, no debate.

What? Why would you start a show with this premise, if this is the way you're doing it? Go review Game of Thrones or something instead if you really need to have a podcast for some reason.

MrTowel

Oct 25, 2017
The 30 for 30 podcast this week is about the creation of the Madden series, excited to listen to that one.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Marvel is getting into podcasts next year with audiodrama Wolverine: The Long Night
Written by comic book author Ben Percy, the 10-episode series follows agents Sally Pierce (Celia Keenan-Bolger) and Tad Marshall (Ato Essandoh) as they arrive in the fictional town of Burns, Ala., to investigate a series of murders and quickly discover the town lives in fear of a serial killer. The agents team up with deputy Bobby Reid (Andrew Keenan-Bolger) to investigate their main suspect, Logan (Richard Armitage). Their search leads them on a fox hunt through the mysterious and corrupt town.
screen-shot-2017-12-05-at-1-54-27-pm.png

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Out of the Blocks - A compelling series that explores a single Baltimore street each episode, interviewing the people that live and work there
Slow Burn - A podcast that delves into the lesser know but no less fascinating aspects of Watergate
Pretend Radio - A series focused on true crime and other stories about people pretending to be someone else, from serial killers to conmen to cult leaders

Educational
History Unplugged

Journalism
Out of the Blocks
Pretend Radio

True Crime
Thin Air

Gaming
Navi Tales

Audiodramas
The Phenomenon

Humor
You're Welcome, Hollywood

Current Events
Slow Burn

Miscellaneous
Plumbing The Death Star
The Podcast for Laundry
Swinging Through Spiderman
Southern Grimoire

Dahellisdat

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a young kid-centric podcast? Everything I listen to is either inappropriate for me to play in the car with them or is something that they just find incredibly boring.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Anyone have any recommendations for a young kid-centric podcast? Everything I listen to is either inappropriate for me to play in the car with them or is something that they just find incredibly boring.

I keep hearing ads for a kid's podcast called "This Podcast has Fleas" or something to that effect during episodes of More Perfect. Might be worth checking out.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm positively hooked on Wolf 359. 20 episodes in, I think it might be the best narrative podcast I've listened to yet. Definitely filling me with a desire to check out more (mysterious) space opera/scifi stuff after it - already got a bunch of books picked to start reading soon.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm positively hooked on Wolf 359. 20 episodes in, I think it might be the best narrative podcast I've listened to yet. Definitely filling me with a desire to check out more space opera stuff after it - already got a bunch of books picked to start reading soon.
Any recommendations in particular? Got Foundation, Culture, Expanse, Revelation Space, and Ancillary Justice/Imperial Radch on my to-read list

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Any recommendations in particular? Got Foundation, Culture, Expanse, Revelation Space, and Ancillary Justice/Imperial Radch on my to-read list

Well, Foundation and Culture make up the bulk of it for me too lol. Also planning to check out A Fire Upon The Deep and Pandora's Star. I personally didn't really enjoy Revelation Space, unfortunately. Too many info dumps, not enough... Character.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, all the Cracked spin-off shows are basically dead, right? I know that Alex is still around for the main show, but I think all those other shows were hosted by various people who got laid off or left. I'm going to miss Cracked Gets Personal.

Oct 25, 2017
On a semi-related note, I'm finding that I enjoy 100% of the podcasts I've heard where Breakmaster Cylinder does the theme.

That's only two shows, so far—Reply All and Outside|In—but that's batting for a thousand right now.

He also does the theme for the podcast Fictional from the makers of Myths and Legends (which is a great show) I like fictional a lot too, and the theme is great. Fictional is a pod about abridged retelling a of public sector fiction (Dante's inferno, Hounds of Baskerville, ect) it's very much the same tone and writing style as Myths and Legends.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, halp.

I want to listen to podcasts on my phone on my way to work, but many of them have really, really low audio levels. As does my shitty cell phone. I have an aux input in my car, and was thinking of connecting my phone to that. But I have no idea which kind of cable to buy. What do I do?

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Guys, halp.

I want to listen to podcasts on my phone on my way to work, but many of them have really, really low audio levels. As does my shitty cell phone. I have an aux input in my car, and was thinking of connecting my phone to that. But I have no idea which kind of cable to buy. What do I do?
It you are using an Android phone, the Podcast Addict app has a Boost Volume option that works pretty well.

23qwerty

Oct 27, 2017
Time released its best podcasts of 2017 list
  • Still Processing
  • Nancy
  • The Daily
  • Reply All
  • Dear Sugars
  • Larry Wilmore: Black on the Air
  • More Perfect
  • 2 Dope Queens
  • S-Town
  • Binge Mode: Game of Thrones
Esquire as well
  • Pod Save America
  • S-Town
  • Nancy
  • Terrible, Thanks For Asking
  • The Daily
  • Crimetown
  • Missing Richard Simmons
  • Up & Vanished
  • Homecoming
  • Las Culturistas
  • Why Oh Why
  • Ctrl Alt Delete
  • Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty
  • It's Been A Minute
  • Presidential
  • Sincerely, X
  • The Nod
  • Dirty John
  • The Heart
Severe lack of mbmbam. Or is that a list of new podcasts.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, halp.

You can buy a two-way auxiliary cable. Just make sure the props have two lines going across them, which indicates stereo.

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
Can anyone recommend a good mythology show?

I kind of like myths and legends. It's almost perfect for me, but the humor, and interjected commentary are turned up a little high for my taste.

Any alternatives?