• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theologian

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been listening to philosopher Sam Harris' podcast. I highly recommend it for people that are interested in truth, reason, and facts. Here is a link to the newest podcast:

#112: The Intellectual Dark Web - A Conversation with Eric Weinstein and Ben Shapiro

"[Philosopher] Sam Harris speaks with Eric Weinstein [research fellow at the Mathematical Institute of Oxford University] and Ben Shapiro about the breakdown of shared values, the problem with identity politics, religion, free will, the primacy of reason, and many other topics." (1/1/2018)​

Boogs31

Oct 28, 2017
Ohio
I'm looking for any possible recommendations for podcasts on Film/TV shows of the year discussion. I listened to the Ringer Channel 33 ones but was looking for more. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking for any possible recommendations for podcasts on Film/TV shows of the year discussion. I listened to the Ringer Channel 33 ones but was looking for more. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

a couple i sub have done eps on this topic recently are Incomparable and Laser Time. i dunno how they compare to your picks tho

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A list of promising new podcasts coming this year

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/upcoming-new-podcasts-of-2018.html

The highlights for me are The Walk, a sci-fi audiodrama with a script written by Naomi Alderman, the author of the acclaimed novel The Power (was among Obama's favorite books of 2017)

and Adventures in New America, which is a new Nightvale Presents series described as "a wild blues- and afropunk-tinged ride through the New York City of New America"

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I got to clear my podcast backlog first but I'm looking forward to checkig that one out

It's creating more of a backlog for me from this week. I started with the most recent episode and went back to #1. I've only listened to 2 or 3 other "normal" podcasts this week, otherwise it's 12 Hour Day all day, and all I can think is "I cannot explain this"

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
The Constant - A history series that looks at the odd and bewildering assumptions throughout history, from where birds went in winter to the hysteria about comets
Science & Futurism - A series that explores sci-fi and futuristic concepts: Dyson spheres, interstellar empires, uplifting, ringworlds, and more. Not the best narrator but it's the only podcast I've found like this
Solutions To Problems - An audio drama that presents itself as an advice hotline in the future

Educational
The Constant
Intelligence Squared: Debates
All Creatures

Science
Science & Futurism With Isaac Arthur
This Week In Virology

Journalism
Launch

Gaming
The Polygon Show

Film/TV/Music
Binge Mode

Audiodramas
Tides
Solutions To Problems
Marsfall

Current Events
Majority 54

Miscellaneous
Endless Thread

Last edited:

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
4 pages in and no plug for Hello Internet?
CGP Grey and Brady Haran, a wonderful Duo have Chit Chats about everything and nothing. There is no particular topic they discuss it's more broadly about the stuff happening around the world, the web and everything inbetween.
http://www.hellointernet.fm

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

IMO you won't find a better film podcast than Film Comment (okay, well maybe All Units) and their end of 2017 discussion was pretty solid. Especially since they feel free to disagree on stuff.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Wanted to plug a Music-related podcast (and wondering if it can be added to the OP). I had mentioned it back on the old site right as it went to hell, so here it is again:

The Songtopsy Report

Website
https://www.thesongtopsyreport.com

iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-songtopsy-report-a-dissection-of-bad-music/id1247160090?mt=2

Revolves around dissecting and discussing odd, funny, or historically panned music, when it's not going off the rails into one of the co-hosts wild anecdotes from his real life escapades.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
4 pages in and no plug for Hello Internet?
CGP Grey and Brady Haran, a wonderful Duo have Chit Chats about everything and nothing. There is no particular topic they discuss it's more broadly about the stuff happening around the world, the web and everything inbetween.
http://www.hellointernet.fm

I back this rec. I don't listen to every episode but it's good.

I'm on ep 6 of 12 Hour Day. They lost a couple hours of their recording, so there's some fill-in.

Also I can't find The Constant on Overcast, More_Badass ! Is there an rss link I can manually add?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the second (?) arc of The Adventure Zone (the train one) and holy shit. The first arc was funny, but this was on a whole new level. Absolutely hilarious, couldn't stop myself from laughing out loud in the bus and at work every few minutes lol. Definitely not stopping here.

Missed some random chunks of it due to the fact that I work while listening, but I think I managed to follow it well enough, so I'm just gonna keep listening to it at work and during commute.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah when Adventure Zone is good (which is often), it's tremendous fun. The last holiday episode was a blast and a half.

This whole campaign interlude kick they're on right now is a bummer tho. They're doing a bunch of 2-4 ep arcs in different systems to experiment about what to do for their next "real" thing. Conceptually cool, but practically it ends up being a lot of "Griffin explains rules".

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I lost interest in TAZ after the third campaign/story. The early ones were improv chaos and crazy left turns, but then they started getting more focused on the characters and other stuff

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't listened to it, so I don't know how it is, but Laura K Dale from Kotaku started a podcast with a friend of hers and it's called Queer and Pleasant Strangers and holy fuck is that just the best name for a podcast or what?

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a fucked up thing to say, but I feel like The Cracked Podcast has been on the uptick in quality since Cracked laid almost everyone off. The shows are back down to an hour (whereas it almost ran for three before and felt super bloated), and the topics and guests have been more interesting.

Seems to me like Brett Rader was probably the cause* of the quality drop before, since now he's gone, and things are sounding better.

*Alex is still way worse than Jack as host, though.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else listening to Atlanta Monster? It's gripping and chilling

Also, the story there - the Atlanta Child Murders - is going to be a focus in Mindhunter season 2

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
Soundtracking - A film podcast that talks with directors, actors, and other crew about the music used in their film and what inspired their choices
True Crime Asia - As the name implies, a true crime series with a focus on lesser-known murders and crime from throughout Asia
The Intersection - A series that explores the history, people, and impact of specific neighborhoods; the current two seasons have focused on San Francisco's Tenderloin and the area surrounding Google's HQ

Educational
Dig: A History Podcast

Journalism
The Intersection

True Crime
True Crime Asia
Good Nightmare

Film/TV/Music
Soundtracking
Slashfilmcast

Audiodramas
The Walk
The Hyacinth Disaster

Humor
We Still Like You

Tech
Command Line Heroes

Miscellaneous
372 Pages We'll Never Get Back
Ultimate Showdown

Last edited:

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wow.. can't say thanks enough for recommending Sayer..

It's like GladOS and The Computer from Paranoia RPG had a kid that was babysit by HAL-9000. Humorous, well acted, at times darkly sinister, etc.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. can't say thanks enough for recommending Sayer..

It's like GladOS and The Computer from Paranoia RPG had a kid that was babysit by HAL-9000. Humorous, well acted, at times darkly sinister, etc.
Glad you liked it. All caught up?

I remember liking it in the beginning, but episode 6 was the whoa, this is amazing moment that hooked me

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Glad you liked it. All caught up?

I remember liking it in the beginning, but episode 6 was the whoa, this is amazing moment that hooked me

Not yet... and 6 was the moment for me too. Almost done with season 1.. was alternating between The Magnus Archives but decided to marathon Sayer first.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
is Omnibus in here? i'm biased as i'm wearing a Roderick On The Line hoodie (my second one) but Omnibus is a podcast about obscure historical tidbits with Ken Jennings (jeopardy fame) and John Roderick (of The Long Winters fame) and it's really good.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting into podcasts a lot more now.

Has anyone ( and I'd probably aim this more at UK era) listened to Reasons to be Cheerful with Ed Miliband and Geoff Lloyd?

Weekly episodes which focus fairly in depth on a particular topic - and they have experts working in said topics to discuss their ideas etc.

The recent ones concerning prison reform, and democracy, were particularly enlightening.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
So NPR's "Embedded" podcast is back now, telling the story of Trump's ties with Russia and what Mueller is investigating concerning them. It's a good deep dive in to the the topic and has already reminded me of a bunch of stuff I had forgotten about or was not aware of. Highly recommended. Also, I'm pretty sure the reason I'm even subscribed to this podcast in the first place was because of this thread back on GAF, so thanks for recommending it back then, MB!
Anyone else listening to Atlanta Monster? It's gripping and chilling

Also, the story there - the Atlanta Child Murders - is going to be a focus in Mindhunter season 2
Yes, I have been! About to check out the latest episode now. I also listened to the host's last podcast called "Up and Vanished", which actually concluded with the cold-case that he was investigating being solved. It was amazing.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a couple of short episodes into Onion's A Very Fatal Murder and I don't think I can listen to any true crime podcasts seriously again after this. I mean, I don't otherwise spend a lot of time listening to those anyway, but even less so after this. Hilarious stuff so far.

Also been listening to SAYER too thanks to the posts praising it above. 15 (iirc) episodes into it and very much enjoying it, it's just hard to find time to listen to it since it feels so particularly dense to me. Miss even a few seconds and you're lost. So I gotta actually focus on listening to it, which means I can't listen to it at work.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Caught up with Magnus Archive over the last month or so. It's really good! I'm glad I only just started on it, since the metanarrative is in a really cool place right now. Show has a lot of momentum.

I'm looking for a new fiction show to pick up for an archive binge. Any suggestions? I see Sayer directly above, will check that out. I'm a little worried about the "density" though, I'm usually listening on dog walks or while playing games or cooking dinner or otherwise distracted. Magnus was perfect for having < 30 minute, mostly self-contained eps with a light metastory. The handful of times that I knew the metastory was coming to a head, I made sure to listen more closely than usual, but for the most part half-listening worked.

I listened to Nightvale for a while. I'm caught up on The Adventure Zone. I like Friends At The Table most of the time but this latest arc started off bad so I dropped it...

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with Magnus Archive over the last month or so. It's really good! I'm glad I only just started on it, since the metanarrative is in a really cool place right now. Show has a lot of momentum.

I'm looking for a new fiction show to pick up for an archive binge. Any suggestions? I see Sayer directly above, will check that out. I'm a little worried about the "density" though, I'm usually listening on dog walks or while playing games or cooking dinner or otherwise distracted. Magnus was perfect for having < 30 minute, mostly self-contained eps with a light metastory. The handful of times that I knew the metastory was coming to a head, I made sure to listen more closely than usual, but for the most part half-listening worked.

I listened to Nightvale for a while. I'm caught up on The Adventure Zone. I like Friends At The Table most of the time but this latest arc started off bad so I dropped it...
My other favorites are:
- Fairy Tales For Unwanted Children
- The Bright Sessions
- Beef & Dairy Network
- Within The Wires
- The Bridge
- A Very Fatal Murder

As for RPG play podcasts:
- The Film Reroll
- Dice Funk
- Neo Scum
- Cthulhu & Friends

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beef & Dairy ads on Max Fun network are simply atrocious. I just refuse to believe that show isn't terrible, they've already given me so much unhappiness.

Will look into these others tho, thanks.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

It could be just a "me" problem. I'm not a native speaker, so I've always had some sort of text for narratives in English - either I've read books or I've had subtitles on with my shows, movies and games. Podcasts are a relatively new thing for me, and following a complex narrative just in sound is definitely harder than reading it. Plus, being scifi, SAYER has lots of weird and interesting concepts.

Also I just finished A Very Fatal Murder and very much recommend it too. Absolutely hilarious, but unfortunately only an hour or so in length.

I should probably get back to Magnus Archives too. Listened to, and liked, the first season last year.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Highlights
A Very Fatal Murder - The Onion's hilarious skewering of true crime podcasts
Swindled - A true crime series focused on white collar crimes
Ashes Ashes - A podcast that explores a potential apocalypse each episode, delving into the science, history, and factors behind such possibilities

Educational
Ashes Ashes
Business Wars
ArtCurious

Journalism
Transom
With Good Reason

True Crime
Repeat
Let's Talk About Sects
Empty Frames
Swindled

Film/TV/Music
Friendly Fire

Audiodramas
Heretic

Humor
A Very Fatal Murder

Current Events
Things That Go Boom

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Airpods have been pretty mindblowing when it comes to listening to podcasts. Just pop those bad boys in your ears in the morning and listen to all kinds of stuff when cooking, doing your morning routines etc.

So, a question: any good humor podcasts in the vein of My Brother, My Brother and Me? Something that you can pretty easily pick up for even just a few minutes, so something where the hosts rarely focus on a single thing for more than 10-15 minutes and just.. Talk about all kinds of stuff.

Doesn't even matter what it's about, could be about history for all I care, as long as it's funny and easy to follow in short bursts.

edit: well, it's not exactly what I was talking about, but I thought I'd check out The Dollop and this is absolutely hilarious. Admittedly I've been listening mostly to episodes many people seem to have on their favorites so maybe this isn't usually this funny, but still, I'll keep listening to this one for sure.

Last edited:

Ventilaator

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Listened to a few episodes of Lore, and I laugh every time when the guy starts reading ads.

It's literally:

Show seems great though. The content is fascinating on its own, but the host adds a lot to it with great delivery.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Listened to a few episodes of Lore, and I laugh every time when the guy starts reading ads.

It's literally:

Show seems great though. The content is fascinating on its own, but the host adds a lot to it with great delivery.

Don't know what Lore is about (serious podcast, I gather?), but A Very Fatal Murder had fucking pitch perfect parody ads like that. Check it out.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
edit: well, it's not exactly what I was talking about, but I thought I'd check out The Dollop and this is absolutely hilarious. Admittedly I've been listening mostly to episodes many people seem to have on their favorites so maybe this isn't usually this funny, but still, I'll keep listening to this one for sure.
One of us! The Dollop is one of the best series out there.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
One of us! The Dollop is one of the best series out there.

I'm now 11 episodes in and I can wholeheartedly agree with this! Not every episode has been constant-laughing-out-loud funny like, for example, the Hugh Glass episode was, but they're all at least good.

And I've got like three hundred hours of this left? Hell yeah!

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Been listening to The Magnus Archives while exercising. I usually burn through three episodes a day. Good stuff and it keeps me engaged. Thanks for introducing me to all these podcasts. They are a gift when you have to do something for a long time and have time to listen to things.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm in the mood for a podcast that is exactly like Uhh Yeah Dude, but NOT that one. It's funny but not forced, no real direction, and laid back. I really like that podcast, but they're "live on tour" so often, which completely ruins the laid back atmosphere of it for me that I can't stand listening to it most of the time.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in a long time I am caught up on all my weekly podcasts with no backlog to go through. Are there any good shorter podcasts to listen to that have only a limited amount of episodes? I've been thinking about trying fictional podcasts, is there something that falls in that range. I'm thinking of stuff like A Very Fatal Murder that I can work through while waiting for more weekly episodes of mine to pop back up.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in a long time I am caught up on all my weekly podcasts with no backlog to go through. Are there any good shorter podcasts to listen to that have only a limited amount of episodes? I've been thinking about trying fictional podcasts, is there something that falls in that range. I'm thinking of stuff like A Very Fatal Murder that I can work through while waiting for more weekly episodes of mine to pop back up.
The Deep Vault
LimeTown
Found (each season is its own story)

Are the only 1 season podcasts I know of lol.

There are a few other finished podcasts but they vary in how long they are:
WormWood
Archive 81
The Bright Sessions (wrapping up in a few weeks)
The Grayscale

Ongoing podcasts you should look into:
The Magnus Archives
Sayer
Uncanny County
Ars Paradoxica
Tribulation
The Phenomenon

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if any of you guys have heard No Cartridge but it seems to be a pretty good gaming podcast from a leftist perspective. I've only recently started listening to it but I'm digging it so far. Might be worth a shot for some of you. https://www.no-cartridge.net/