• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Heads up, Aviary Attorney, an Adventure game which is a combination of JJ Grandville art+Birds+Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright is 75% off for the first time in a long time, just go get it. It's short, has multiple a few routes for the story and some lovely humor

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/384630/Aviary_Attorney/

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that's the manatee one. I think it wasn't the best choice to have a manatee in a Monkey Island game - wish it was just a giant sea monster if we had to go there - but the whole team made the most of our own ridiculous early-on decision haha. It's also the first game I worked on with Sean Vanaman, who wrote that episode. (After that we did episode 5 and Puzzle Agent with Mark Darin, then Walking Dead S1 and Firewatch together.)

A manatee didn't really feel out of place for me, there's always room for some silliness in Monkey Island. I remember the puzzles being excellent in that episode and it was great seeing
Murray the demonic talking skull again.

I really need to play Firewatch.

Heads up, for the next 24 hours only (well less since it started a couple of hours ago)
header.jpg

This collection of 3 NES Adventure games can be had for USD 3 over at Indiegala.com
https://www.indiegala.com/friday

That's nice, only one out of those I've played is Deja Vu..gonna invest in this. Was always quite interested in adventure games developed for the NES/Famicom. It had a pretty good version of Maniac Mansion with a fun soundtrack and unfortunately some sensoring and even a version of Sierra's Kings Quest V despite not having any of the earlier games in the series. Obviously some Japanese VN games too like Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, Portopia and the Detective Club games. The 16-Bit consoles saw barely any adventure gaming goodness..

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's nice, only one out of those I've played is Deja Vu..gonna invest in this. Was always quite interested in adventure games developed for the NES/Famicom. It had a pretty good version of Maniac Mansion with a fun soundtrack and unfortunately some sensoring and even a version of Sierra's Kings Quest V despite not having any of the earlier games in the series. Obviously some Japanese VN games too like Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, Portopia and the Detective Club games. The 16-Bit consoles saw barely any adventure gaming goodness..

Shadowgate is a great game, dude!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
For anyone who hasn't played it yet, def. give Oxenfree a play.
It's a 2D Adventure game, I played it with my controller but I believe a m+kb setup would work fine.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/Oxenfree/
https://www.gog.com/game/oxenfree <Cheaper in GOG if you're interested!
header.jpg

"Play as Alex, a bright, rebellious teenager who brings her new stepbrother Jonas to an overnight party on an old military island. The night takes a terrifying turn when you unwittingly use a radio to awaken the island's cryptic past. How you deal with these events, your peers, and the ominous events you've unleashed is up to you."

It's not really horror, but does have some creepy and disturbing moments. They didn't detract me from the game or its story but you can relate with Alex when such scenes occur. This is a good game to play with a group or your SO, etc. since the story, characters and voice acting are fanatstic and it can really grip you. You can complete a playthrough in about 5ish hours or less.
Furthermore you can also do a New Game+ sort of thing after beating the game to check out other outcomes.
I'll replay it some time next year but for now if you want something quick to play through def. get this, it is easy to play and the interactions between characters is very well written.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I also thought Oxenfree was pretty good and would recommend playing it. Yesterday I bought What Remains of Edith Finch and played through it all in essentially one sitting. It's such a great game but I am a sucker for these Northwest settings like in Gone Home and Life is Strange. I finished the second episode of Life is Strange: Before the Storm and after liking the first episode okay, I think it is a drop in quality from the first game without the time mechanic since there isn't really any puzzles to solve.

OP
OP
sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A manatee didn't really feel out of place for me, there's always room for some silliness in Monkey Island. I remember the puzzles being excellent in that episode and it was great seeing
Murray the demonic talking skull again.

I really need to play Firewatch.

A Kraken would have been cool. Something LeChuck could have sent to eat an island that had displeased him in some overly petty way.
But yeah, Lair of the Leviathan was probably the best pure puzzles Telltale ever did. After the lacklustre first 2 chapters it was a massive turnaround.

Shadowgate's really good, and like NES maniac mansion, has an outstanding soundtrack. The US/EU version of Maniac Mansion on the NES was actually probably the best version imo, even with the censoring. Having to use "What is" to scan a room in the PC version was an absolute chore, and the NES version completely bypassed this and had the cursor always give you item names when you hovered over them, which was a massive step forward in the evolution of the P&C genre. There's also actually a prototype version with no censorship floating around on the net, which is probably the best way to play the game if someone can figure out how to link it to a mouse.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I started Black Mirror and played it for about an hour, but it's clunky, runs like crap and hasn't been fun. Anyone else playing it? Does it get any better?

Any word on how long it is? I'd like to get it done soon and delete it.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like i'm the only person on earth who enjoyed dreamfall chapters

I thought it started quite weak, but ended reasonably well, considering budget problems that hurt the game. I think Red Thread shouldn't have followed "The Walking Dead" trend, and focused instead on a mora traditional adventure game with more appropiate production values.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
I started Black Mirror and played it for about an hour, but it's clunky, runs like crap and hasn't been fun. Anyone else playing it? Does it get any better?

Any word on how long it is? I'd like to get it done soon and delete it.

Thanks for sharing your impressions TheBeardedOne, any updated thoughts? I was afraid of this given that one of the developer's last adventure games - Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief - ended up stinking after a promising start. Really hope Black Mirror gets better.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Thanks for sharing your impressions TheBeardedOne, any updated thoughts? I was afraid of this given that one of the developer's last adventure games - Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief - ended up stinking after a promising start. Really hope Black Mirror gets better.

Haven't felt like playing any more.

I'm early on, just in the first chapter. I played for about an hour or just a bit more, and it took a while to solve a confusing mathematical puzzle. Apparently it's only 4-5 hours long, though.

It's definitely rough

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
Haven't felt like playing any more.

I'm early on, just in the first chapter. I played for about an hour or just a bit more, and it took a while to solve a confusing mathematical puzzle. Apparently it's only 4-5 hours long, though.

It's definitely rough

Hmmm...I can't help but feel THQ Nordic should have assigned another developer to this. No offense to King ART games, but the one adventure title I did play by them was a very big letdown, especially on a technical level so I feared the worst for this. I hope by the time you beat it your impressions improve.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't have much interest in playing any more, but I don't like not completing games so I will go back to it someday soon and finish it off.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
This holds true for all of their games, sadly.

That's sad to hear. I was hoping they at least pulled it off with the Book of Unwritten Tales as it looks great.

I don't have much interest in playing any more, but I don't like not completing games so I will go back to it someday soon and finish it off.

I know that feeling, it can be a curse sometimes haha. I actually had this feeling with their adventure game The Raven, it became difficult to finish eventually.

Fady

Oct 28, 2017
UAE
When editing a post, on the top right is an option to disable rich text editor
Click it and it ought to make editting stuff easier

Thanks Tizoc! I tried, and disabled the rich text editor but can't seem to know how to edit in text on the URL. In other forums, I would insert a URL and it would paste the URL in the editor whilst leaving an area for me to type the text in (for example =https://www.www.comHere is the new review[/TEXT]

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Thanks Tizoc! I tried, and disabled the rich text editor but can't seem to know how to edit in text on the URL. In other forums, I would insert a URL and it would paste the URL in the editor whilst leaving an area for me to type the text in (for example =https://www.www.comHere is the new review[/TEXT]
Wait do you mean like this?
Anyone here ever played Nightlong?

If so, either quote this to see how to write in the stuff or just see this
Code:
[url=YOUR URL GOES HERE]YOUR TEXT OR IMAGE GOES HERE[/URL]

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
December 14th is stacking up to be a great day. First Finding Paradise and now Gorogoa. 2017 is going to keep delivering hits right up until the end.

It's awesome that they are both coming to GOG as well.

Also, Tizoc are you still woking on that post about all the adventure games you've played this year? I am really looking forward to reading it.

Wapcaplet

Oct 31, 2017
Has anybody played The Sea Will Claim Everything ? It's been in my library for a bit. Looks great just haven't set aside the time to play it. Love the hand drawn art and seems to be humorous, albeit dark.
It's been on my wishlist for ages -- I really should pick it up during the next Steam sale.

I haven't heard any recent updates on Jonas Kyratzes' next game, The Council of Crows.

Edit: After doing some searching, it looks like Council of Crows is getting close to release. sir_crocodile , maybe it should be added to the OP?

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I love how Bolt Riley is an actual game about Reggae music. Can't remember anything in the industry that tries to use a setting like this or even use reggae in it's original soundtrack.

Hate this episode 1 bullshit tho, will wait to play the complete game.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I love how Bolt Riley is an actual game about Reggae music. Can't remember anything in the industry that tries to use a setting like this or even use reggae in it's original soundtrack.

Hate this episode 1 bullshit tho, will wait to play the complete game.
Yeah, I had the same reaction as you. I loved that they made a game about Jamaica and reggae music, but you might be waiting a long time to play the game. It doesn't seem like the devs answer any questions on steam since release and they haven't posted any kickstarter updates. I don't think it will ever be finished, but if you want to play a cool episodic game with reggae music I recommend checking out The Journey Down. The final episode released this year and played back to back they make up a really nice story and game.

I've been playing through some smaller releases this year and finished Four Last Things today. It only takes an hour and a half to play, but it was enjoyable. I really liked the renaissance paintings and the humor was good too. More locations would have been nice, but if you can get on sale later this month, it's a nice game to play if you're in the mood for something short.

Up next is Milkmaid of the Milky Way and then Neofeud. So many cool indies released this year and I'm trying to finish as many as I can by the end of the month.

It feels bad that the "big" adventure games released this year like Syberia 3 and Black Mirror received such mediocre to bad reception, since they might be many people's only impression of the quality of adventure games in 2017.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, I had the same reaction as you. I loved that they made a game about Jamaica and reggae music, but you might be waiting a long time to play the game. It doesn't seem like the devs answer any questions on steam since release and they haven't posted any kickstarter updates. I don't think it will ever be finished, but if you want to play a cool episodic game with reggae music I recommend checking out The Journey Down. The final episode released this year and played back to back they make up a really nice story and game.

I've been playing through some smaller releases this year and finished Four Last Things today. It only takes an hour and a half to play, but it was enjoyable. I really liked the renaissance paintings and the humor was good too. More locations would have been nice, but if you can get on sale later this month, it's a nice game to play if you're in the mood for something short.

Up next is Milkmaid of the Milky Way and then Neofeud. So many cool indies released this year and I'm trying to finish as many as I can by the end of the month.

It feels bad that the "big" adventure games released this year like Syberia 3 and Black Mirror received such mediocre to bad reception, since they might be many people's only impression of the quality of adventure games in 2017.

Oh man, just checked game's forum on Steam and things doesn't look good indeed. Thanks for the warning!

The Journey Down looks really nice, like a tropical Grim Fandango. Wishlisted : )

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody played The Sea Will Claim Everything ? It's been in my library for a bit. Looks great just haven't set aside the time to play it. Love the hand drawn art and seems to be humorous, albeit dark.

header.jpg
I really like this game. Please note that it's a VERY light adventure game with a lot of text.

(it's even a bit political!)

The soundtrack is pretty great too.

The Journey Down looks really nice, like a tropical Grim Fandango. Wishlisted : )
The Journey Down is clearly inspired by Grim Fandango and other Lucasarts games. It's not as good, but what is? The music's lovely with lots of live instruments and the voice acting is much better than you'd expect with a low budget.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
https://ru.gamersgate.com/DD-AACRU/animation-arts-collection - i remember that Tunguska was not bad as Broken Sword clone, not sure about other games in this pack..Good deal anyway?
Tunguska is quite nice. Some of the puzzles are a bit daft, though, but only a handful in a rather lenghty game. If you don't have any issues with looking for hints when you have pretty much tried anything obvious (again only occured to me like four, five times), I'd say go for it.
Lost Horizon is also nice. A lot easier than Tunguska, but still a nice adventure with a lot of nice callbacks to older adventure games (Flight of the Amazon Queen, though only superficially).

I have heard good things about Tunguska 2, and fairly bad things about Tunguska 3, SP and LH2. Though all those sequels (except Tunguska 2) are also really short.